(Topic ID: 126013)

Heighway Announces North American Pinball Prototype Build Gr

By HeighwayPinball

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

002.JPG
    001.JPG
    035.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 8 years ago

I'm pretty sure you told me 2 hours ago you were going to bed. This post proves otherwise sir!

#15 8 years ago

John I'd love it if you could just talk about what your thinking for this group is. It sounds really interesting (I know nothing about it, not involved) and I grasp the basic idea of an incubator, but how will it really function? Are you looking for people who have their own whitewoods who might want to pitch a game?

#30 8 years ago

Ah, so this is starting to make more sense to me.

So here's how I understand it:

If you're interested in building a pinball, you have ideas, you have skills, but you're just clueless about what to do with it once you've built it, or the idea of manufacturing (rightly) scares you, there's a path now.

Heighway will provide a support structure, a technical framework, and a source of low cost parts. Help you build up your pin, and make your vision complete.

In return, Heighway would like the option to work out a deal to build your pin, and the creators would get a share of the sales.

So it's an incubator, a farm team. Everyone gets something out of it, but with no guarantees.

John does that sound accurate?

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from stainedundies:

sounds to me like a way to soak up potential future competition by making their ideas the IP of heighway. do they really have any interest in letting others design their games? thats like if a brewery went to a bar and asked people to write recipes in exchange for some of the beer when and if it was brewed. all the creativity lies in the design of the game, seems odd that their passing this task off to their fans before game one has even left the factory.

I think that's definitely one way to look at it.

Another is to realize that there are people out there who love the idea of designing a pinball, but have no support infrastructure, and no way to actually get it built.

If you're the kind of person who loves the idea of building a game, and finds the idea of then being able to hand it off to a factory to be created, and take your share of the profits without that headache attractive? Then it sounds like a good win win.

If you'd rather control the entire process yourself? Hey, do your own thing. Work with Aaron and FAST, use the Mission pinball framework, use P-Roc, whatever makes sense.

I have to say, with Heighway games being modular, the idea that you could potentially have your game created, sold at the "lower cost" option of being a kit to be slid into an existing cabinet, that's pretty attractive.

I look at a game like WOOLY. Great team, really built out their own vision, did their own thing. But then they ran up against the build reality. They partnered up with Spooky, kind of a similar idea, but the game was going to be $8k. Just too expensive. Maybe with Heighway's bulk power they could have got the BOM lower, and more realistic to buy.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Aurich, I get your points as well and I agree 100% that it could be worth it to some people to just get their ideas out there. Pardon if I'm also skeptical of your take on it due to your position as an Heighway contractor with a good shot of profiting personally on future art packages developed for these hobbyist-developed machines.

Ha, all good. I have zero involvement or knowledge of this initiative, and to be honest, no real interest in being the "go to guy" for these projects either. Because frankly if I was getting involved in a homebrew project and doing the art etc I'd rather be doing it with my own team, and my own idea. Maybe with Heighway! Who knows, I'm not announcing that I'm making my own game or anything.

I'm doing Alien because it's an awesome license for a movie that I'm a huge fan of. I have an Alien limited print hanging right behind me as I type. The stars aligned.

I like Andrew a lot, I like his philosophy, I like how he does business. Right now I'm only signed on for this one project. We'll see what the future brings. But in this particular thread I'm a "biased outsider". Obviously I want Heighway to succeed, but I have no particular skin in this game, or inside knowledge (at this time at least).

I wouldn't advise anyone to take a deal they weren't comfortable with. And I respect anyone who wants to be indie and DIY. But I'd think this was a cool idea coming from Jack, or Stern too. I'd say Spooky, but as much as I respect them, they don't have the factory and infrastructure right now to offer it.

So I know it's hard for me to sound impartial, because I'm not. But I am trying to view this as a fan, and it's not something I've been involved at all in. If that changes later, so be it, but right now I know as much as anyone who's read this thread.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-announces-north-american-pinball-prototype-build-gr?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.