Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DS_Nadine
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What are your impressions of Heavy Metal”

• Looks awful, never gonna play it. 28 votes
      19%
    • Looks great, I really wanna buy one! 9 votes
      6%
    • Eh, looks ok, but not enough to make me want to buy it. I could care less. 56 votes
      37%
    • Looks cool, but too overpriced. 58 votes
      38%

(151 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5097896aae2ca.jpeg (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

Well, they're released. Pictures of Stern's heavy metal pinball retheme. What do you think?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2 3 years ago

#3 3 years ago

in for $4000!

#4 3 years ago

Best release to date.

#5 3 years ago

It looks better than what I expected but the price is too high and no LCD stinks.

#6 3 years ago

How much is it?

#7 3 years ago

I wish I was as cool as Jack Danger.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I wish I was as cool as Jack Danger.

Don't we all...

#10 3 years ago
    5097896aae2ca.jpeg (resized).jpg5097896aae2ca.jpeg (resized).jpg
    #11 3 years ago

poll added.

#12 3 years ago

Playfield art looks worse than I hoped, but better than I feared...

#13 3 years ago

I got to play the Star Wars home pin recently, and this reminds me a lot of that playfield. Aren't those the same shots?

#14 3 years ago

Yes it's the same & slightly modified form Supreme/spiderman

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boise_D:

I got to play the Star Wars home pin recently, and this reminds me a lot of that playfield. Aren't those the same shots?

Quoted from TheLaw:

right, spiderman home pin and sumpreme are the same layout. SW home pin and heavy metal are the same layout. They're all very similar.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Why don't they at least use a really awesome layout with a not-so-common theme.. IMDN comes to mind.

#17 3 years ago

Curious to see the build quality. IIRC Star Wars Home Pin was some kind of partical board / MDF, and generally felt quite flimsy.

The playfield layout is ok, but hopefully it feels a bit better for that price range... curious about the music quality and sound as well in real gameplay.

#18 3 years ago

Do you want the right or left half?

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Do you want the right or left half?

Left half, because it has a much better figurine there than on the right side

#20 3 years ago

The limited small run of units is probably half of the reason it's as expensive as it is.

Rob

#21 3 years ago

I think Pinside has decided it’s not worth the effort - to cheerlead or complain.

#22 3 years ago

No Way would I pay $8300. I would consider at 4K.

I will play it if it crosses my path 100%

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

The limited small run of units is probably half of the reason it's as expensive as it is.
    Rob

This was also the case with supreme, only more so. I cringe thinking about it.

#24 3 years ago

honestly I like Primus design better. I have not played a home edition yet so can not say 100% but likely it's not as robust as a pro level pin. Plus all that money I'd expect something even if it was copy of Metallica pro (rather than copy of SW home pin).

PS limited numbers mean noting to me, Dominos or Jetsons is limited numbers they aren't worth a lot for that.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

honestly I like Primus design better. I have not played a home edition yet so can not say 100% but likely it's not as robust as a pro level pin. Plus all that money I'd expect something even if it was copy of Metallica pro (rather than copy of SW home pin).
    PS limited numbers mean noting to me, Dominos or Jetsons is limited numbers they aren't worth a lot for that.

Interesting. I've never understood why people liked the primus and woah nellie bjm layout that much. It's like an EM, which is cool, but...it just wasn't very fun, imo. Didn't really like the themes, either. As far as limited numbers, I agree with you. All I was saying is that stern has used the fact of limited production before to raise the price higher than the game is really worth.

#26 3 years ago

The pinballnews.com announcement mentions the game has music by Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick and others. I presume that's the film's soundtrack music they're talking about. Wonder how much of the film's signature tracks are included, such as Sammy Hagar ("Heavy Metal"), Riggs ("Radar Rider") and Don Felder ("Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride)") among others? To me the game's not worth the price without those. Regardless, I can't imagine Journey's "Open Arms" working with this game -- they can leave that one out.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from SonicZone:

The pinballnews.com announcement mentions the game has music by Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick and others. I presume that's the film's soundtrack music they're talking about. Wonder how much of the film's signature tracks are included, such as Sammy Hagar ("Heavy Metal"), Riggs ("Radar Rider") and Don Felder ("Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride)") among others? To me the game's not worth the price without those. Regardless, I can't imagine Journey's "Open Arms" working with this game -- they can leave that one out.

This is a rerun of the other very long heavy metal meltdown lots of info there.

It seems they brought in Sebastian Bach if skid row fame to do the soundtrack - meaning cover songs of all your heavy metal favorites. Much easier than getting the publishing / license for the original songs.

So maybe you’ll get some originals and some covers, all covers...not it really matters much since everybody here has filed a sworn affidavit promising not to buy one.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from SonicZone:

Even so, I wouldn't pay 8.3k for heavy metal even with a good soundtrack

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

Even so, I wouldn't pay 8.3k for heavy metal even with a good soundtrack

Would you pay 8.3k for a heavy metal with a GREAT sound track?

What would it take?

And don’t say anything about it having sex with you that joke was used up in the JP Topper thread. It’s in a refractory period now.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Would you pay 8.3k for a heavy metal with a GREAT sound track?
    What would it take?
    And don’t say anything about it having sex with you that joke was used up in the JP Topper thread. It’s in a refractory period now.

It would take better art, better toys, good soundtrack, LCD screen and a new layout. I honestly HATE rethemes.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

It would take better art, better toys, good soundtrack, LCD screen and a new layout. I honestly HATE rethemes.

Every game should only be allowed one re-theme. One is bad enough, but honestly, 3 re-themes is just lazy.

You could actually have a small collection of just this layout. How much fun would that be!

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Every game should only be allowed one re-theme. One is bad enough, but honestly, 3 re-themes is just lazy.
    You could actually have a small collection of just this layout. How much fun would that be!

Wait, three rethemes of this layout? I only count two...

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

Wait, three rethemes of this layout? I only count two...

Wasn’t Supreme the same? Better do some fact checking.

#34 3 years ago

I really don't get that artwork. It looks like nothing from Heavy Metal Magazine's classic years (Mobius, Corben, Crepax, Wrightson, Manara, etc.), nor does it look anything like the artwork from the '81 movie. Is this what the Heavy Metal 2000 movie looked like? Generally fans of the magazine don't even like to acknowledge its existence, so that's an odd choice there because who's this supposed to sell to except middle aged stoners like me who grew up reading the mag or watching the movie? Do younger people know or care about the mag/movies? The magazine is currently enjoying a nice renaissance under Grant Morrison, but I could probably count the number of people who care about that on my fingers and toes. Just weird all around here.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Wasn’t Supreme the same? Better do some fact checking.

Well, sumpreme and spiderman home are technically different from heavy metal and sw home, but they're close enough to be really frustrating.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So maybe you’ll get some originals and some covers, all covers...

Now that I think back, it wouldn't surprise me if we get nothing but covers. I had actually forgotten how music rights issues prevented home video releases of the film for many years.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Hey they learned from the best.

Gottlieb put out at least 7 versions of the El Dorado playfield.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

I really don't get that artwork. It looks like nothing from Heavy Metal Magazine's classic years (Mobius, Corben, Crepax, Wrightson, Manara, etc.), nor does it look anything like the artwork from the '81 movie. Is this what the Heavy Metal 2000 movie looked like? Generally fans of the magazine don't even like to acknowledge its existence, so that's an odd choice there because who's this supposed to sell to except middle aged stoners like me who grew up reading the mag or watching the movie? Do younger people know or care about the mag/movies? The magazine is currently enjoying a nice renaissance under Grant Morrison, but I could probably count the number of people who care about that on my fingers and toes. Just weird all around here.

It seems like it has extremely “selective” appeal but that’s why the project will probably work. Even something as shitty as Primus - well there were 100 people out there who really wanted one.

Same with this. In the original HM thread I think we found two people who are HUGE HM fans and will probably buy it. The other 98 are out there somewhere.

#39 3 years ago

Stern making decisions really easy for me lately. Building a house so just as well.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It seems like it has extremely “selective” appeal but that’s why the project will probably work. Even something as shitty as Primus - well there were 100 people out there who really wanted one.
    Same with this. In the original HM thread I think we found two people who are HUGE HM fans and will probably buy it. The other 98 are out there somewhere.

I thought 200 units were being made?

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey they learned from the best.
    Gottlieb put out at least 7 versions of the El Dorado playfield.

True, was rampant back in the day.

I’d prefer it if they re-themed ElDorado again for Heavy Metal. 15 drop targets and 4 flippers. BOM, would be way too high for Stern.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I’d prefer it if they re-themed ElDorado again for Heavy Metal. 15 drop targets and 4 flippers. BOM, would be way too high for Stern.

Beatles has 4 flippers, 11 drops, a spinner and multiple magnets. If they can do that they can do Eldorado.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

True, was rampant back in the day.

Goes without saying. Especially so because we JUST got this layout from SW home. It would be a little less bad if it was a retheme of a somewhat older game.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

Well, they're released. Pictures of Stern's heavy metal pinball retheme. What do you think?

Honestly: I just feel nothing (wich is sad).

#45 3 years ago

Looks cool. All pinball is fun!! Look forward to playing the game!

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Stern making decisions really easy for me lately. Building a house so just as well.

make sure your contract is signed between now and dec 31 to get some of that sweet govt cash.

#47 3 years ago

Also, please don't get the wrong impression from me. I'm not saying this game sucks. I'm saying that I myself think that this game could have been done a lot cooler and less expensive. However, I'm not gonna tell people they're wrong to like the game. This is a discussion thread for all opinions. And granted, we haven't seen a reveal for this game, so who knows?

#48 3 years ago

Totally called it on the figures included.

#49 3 years ago

If it doesn’t have Don Felder’s Heavy Metal(Takin’ a Ride) on it, it’s a complete fail.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

Is this what the Heavy Metal 2000 movie looked like?

No. The HM2k movie was based around Simon Bisely's artwork. The protagonist was based on Julie Strain. Nothing like this.
    At 4k with a coin door, I'd be in to have this on route for a while and then bringing it home. At 8k, no chance. I would like to buy a playfield and cabinet, though.

There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heavy-metal-pics?hl=noob-a-tron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.