HMM_right_(resized).jpg
IMG_1052.jpg
IMG_1054.jpg
IMG_1056.jpg
IMG_1051.jpg
IMG_1050.jpg
IMG_1047.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Ive owned a copy of this pin for 20 years. Every time I see another HMM pin, they all have the Heavy Metal meltown painted on the side with the guitar player. My pin has a bally midway design on the side of the cabinet with a matching design on the backbox. I thought maybe the cabinet was switched over through time but its all original, there are Red HOLD certificates stapled to the inside of the crate and backbox dated from 1987. I also cant find any serial number attached to the game ? Does anyone know what I have? Not sure if it was a prototype from 1987 or a late addition after production ceased using some spare parts at Bally or something else? Any insight would be appreciated.

IMG_1047.jpgIMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1050.jpgIMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.jpgIMG_1051.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Looks it might be a sample prototype based on the red label inside the cabinet. Might have been a test game or one used to make sure it met fcc requirements

#3 8 years ago

Yeah it looks like a prototype. It looks similar to my friends, which a lot looks like prototype (no serial, generic cab art). I have a few question for you. Do you have a bunch of fuse housings with thick red wires under the playfield instead of the fuse board mounted on the left side of the backbox?
Also do you have a drop target blocking the ramp or a filled in spot where a drop target would have gone?

Just curious,
Mike

#4 8 years ago

fuses are inside the backbox left hand side.. another Hold inspection certificate inside the backbox. IMG_1056.JPGIMG_1056.JPGIMG_1054.JPGIMG_1054.JPGIMG_1052.JPGIMG_1052.JPG

#5 8 years ago

and no drop target blocking the ramp nor anything filled in..

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster65:

and no drop target blocking the ramp nor anything filled in..

Interesting. What does the ROM labels say on CPU board?

6 months later
#7 8 years ago

Really glad to find this thread!
I recently found an HMM with the same cabinet and was concerned it had been hacked.

I'd still prefer the production artwork but nice to know it's probably factory.

I won't know more until next week, but now I know what to look for.

I wonder if there are examples out there with working drop targets at the ramp entrance? And what code they're running?

#8 8 years ago

Really wish they had kept the drop target in hmm

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Really wish they had kept the drop target in hmm

Well, a friend picked up the proto/test HMM for me today. It's still a 6hr drive away so hopefully I can grab it soon.
Here are some pics of the different cab and, what looks like, a drop target that's been covered up.

If anyone know anything about the target I'd love to hear more.

Thanks

HMM_right_(resized).jpgHMM_right_(resized).jpg

HMM_drop_target_(resized).jpgHMM_drop_target_(resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago

I have a good friend that has a proto/sample HMM with the drop target spot also covered up. His appears to have been nicely covered up from the factory with a slotted in piece of wood.

I have tried to get him to look around for the wires and to hook up a single drop to see it there is code in the rom for it!

#11 8 years ago

Damn, if there was confirmed code on the roms I would cut a hole in the playfield and run some wires. That would be so cool.

With the way the ball flys around in there I wonder if it was removed because of excessive damage.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

With the way the ball flys around in there I wonder if it was removed because of excessive damage

that is my guess also, but with the metal aftermarket drops being made soon that would not be an issue.

#13 8 years ago

I think I have more air balls in my HMM than all my other games put together...

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I think I have more air balls in my HMM than all my other games put together...

Is that just the era of Bally machines? I don't own any others from this timeframe.

Quoted from Whysnow:

that is my guess also, but with the metal aftermarket drops being made soon that would not be an issue.

How do you think the balls and playfields will hold up. Will there be accelerated pitting of the balls?

#15 8 years ago

nah, no added pitting to the balls.

From what I have seen the metal drops will take the burden of impact but are still solid.

I am waiting on some prototype ones now to try in a game.

#16 8 years ago

I've had a few of these 6803 Bally pins (Special Force, Black Belt, Motordome, Strange Science and now HMM). They all seem prone to crazy airballs and funny ball movement. They are not what I would consider "smooth" machines, but what they lack in refinement they make up for in pure cheesy fun. The soundtrack alone on Black Belt or the bad 80's syth and crickets on Special Force always put a smile on my face.

The best thing to do is make sure your targets are not facing up and have new foam backers.

As for the drop. I have a couple of spare drop target mechs pulled from a buddy's extra Special Force playfield. They should be a perfect match. One is smart and one is standard. I would love to retrofit this in if it would work. I wonder who would be able to answer this?

#17 8 years ago

that side art looks like the art on my bally hardbody from the same era.

I had a HMM about 10 years ago and really liked it. Fun game that doesn't get a lot of love.

#18 8 years ago

Party Animal is good for airballs as well. Ill look at my friends HMM to see if they left any wires for the drop target. . . I think his is an early prototype as it didn't even have the fuse board. Just a butt load of in line fuses under the playfield.

1 month later
#19 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Damn, if there was confirmed code on the roms I would cut a hole in the playfield and run some wires. That would be so cool.
With the way the ball flys around in there I wonder if it was removed because of excessive damage.

So, if anyone was ever wondering what a factory HMM drop target looks like, here ya go!

20160315_235200_(resized).jpg20160315_235200_(resized).jpg

I finally got my proto/test machine home and, to my surprise, found an fully intact drop target mech and wiring. The only issue is that the coil wire was intentionally clipped and there's no code to support it any longer.

Looks like I'll have to hunt down some proto code... if it exists.

Here's my thread if you want to read more: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-proto-heavy-metal-meltdown-adventure

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heavy-metal-meltdown-bally-1987 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.