image (resized).jpg
full machine (resized).jpg
HMM (resized).jpg
HMM (resized).jpg
IMG_20201107_111420 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201107_111941 (resized).jpg
2B7423BD-AF82-46EF-A40F-DD6DFCE330CF.jpeg
HMM (resized).png

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

..I have them all except the middle 'grille' in the front. I know I am gonna have to make this myself, so is the original plastic or wood?

from memory its wood with a red plastic behind it.. mines in bits too at the factory ill post some pics tommorow.

if you ( or anyone else) has a dead playfield im looking for the big hotdog insert. mines broken

5 months later
#52 3 years ago

Once lockdown is relaxed I should be picking up a barn find HMM... only have one photo to go on so could be in for some "fun"... enjoying reading up on the game from around the forums and hopefully can join the club soon!

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from cNp_:

Once lockdown is relaxed I should be picking up a barn find HMM... only have one photo to go on so could be in for some "fun"... enjoying reading up on the game from around the forums and hopefully can join the club soon!

it is a REALLY fun game!

#54 3 years ago

Does anyone have the ability to measure the plastic insert that goes between the speakers on the Topper? Mine is missing it completely, and I know I can have one made, but I don't have a clue about the size of plastic, the thickness, or the sizes of the holes that would need to be cut.

5 months later
#55 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Does anyone have the ability to measure the plastic insert that goes between the speakers on the Topper? Mine is missing it completely, and I know I can have one made, but I don't have a clue about the size of plastic, the thickness, or the sizes of the holes that would need to be cut.

Hey, I finally picked my machine up on Saturday and have the topper in pieces at the minute for cleaning if you still need measurements taken?

#56 3 years ago

I could really use a set of plastics for mine if anyone has any spares please let me know.
thanks

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from cNp_:

Hey, I finally picked my machine up on Saturday and have the topper in pieces at the minute for cleaning if you still need measurements taken?

Please! The width of the plastic, the total size, the width of the cutouts, lengths, etc...

#58 3 years ago

NEWBIE LOOKING FOR HELP

I have HMM that stopped working after I invited a tech in to help with the ball shoot. Now I'm thinking I will make it my project to get it working again. Not an electrician and new to maintaining the machine so any advice out there on where to begin to diagnose what is going on? What tools do I need.

I have the original manuals and schematics

Added over 3 years ago:

Update. Turns out it was a blown fuse. Machine now powers up, bumpers, slingshots, etc register score BUT none of the solenoids fire. The flippers aren’t working either. The basic function solenoid test displays all the solenoids so I assume they are powering up. I’ve changed the playfield fuse several times (and even removed it altogether) with the same results: no flipper action, no bumper action or any solenoid action, and balls are not being ejected into the shooter. Could there be another fuse I missed checking? Maybe the fuses I am using are old?

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolGamer:

NEWBIE LOOKING FOR HELP
I have HMM that stopped working after I invited a tech in to help with the ball shoot. Now I'm thinking I will make it my project to get it working again. Not an electrician and new to maintaining the machine so any advice out there on where to begin to diagnose what is going on? What tools do I need.

Gonna need more information. Can you share a detailed explanation?

#60 3 years ago

NEWBIE LOOKING FOR HELP

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally_6803

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Quoted from dsuperbee:

Update. Turns out it was a blown fuse. Machine now powers up, bumpers, slingshots, etc register score. BUT none of the solenoids fire. The flippers aren’t working either. The basic function solenoid test displays all the solenoids so I assume they are powering up. I’ve changed the playfield fuse several times (and even removed it altogether) with the same results: no flipper action, no bumper action or any solenoid action, and balls are not being ejected into the shooter. Could there be another fuse I missed checking? Maybe the fuses I am using are old?

#62 3 years ago

Update. Turns out it was a blown fuse. Machine now powers up, bumpers, slingshots, etc register score. BUT none of the solenoids fire. The flippers aren’t working either. The basic function solenoid test displays all the solenoids so I assume they are powering up. I’ve changed the playfield fuse several times (and even removed it altogether) with the same results: no flipper action, no bumper action or any solenoid action, and balls are not being ejected into the shooter. Could there be another fuse I missed checking? Maybe the fuses I am using are old?

Hey OldSchoolGamer - Do you want to move this to a separate Tech thread - or did you already?
I should have time this weekend to send you some suggestions. And you can crosslink to this thread so that this crew sees it.

#63 3 years ago

Fellow metalheads -

I'm so stoked to finally be in this club! It took patience, but the Metal Gods eventually showed me a Whole Lotta Love. One day, a Rainbow in the Dark appeared to me here on Pinside. And after Heading out to the Highway driving Over the Mountain down a long Highway to Hell for 10+ hours, I finally got a M-m-m-MELTDOWN of my own! And I'm happy to report that now having played 20+ games on it - it is every bit as Epic as our brothers and sisters of metal here have proclaimed it to be!

Mine is going to need a lot of cosmetic love, as the backbox and translite are faded, the siderails are a rusty, corroded mess and the playfield is covered in touch-ups that look like they were done by my 8 year old.

I'll start a separate thread around the restoration in progress with better photos, but wanted to chime in here with some metal love. This game's fun factor rises well beyond what one might expect and the theme is glorious!

Two questions for this crew:
1) My backbox light fixture is toast. Voltage in the fixture reads 134VAC and light bulbs I've tried in it have flickered a bit but won't hold their shine. I'm sure it just needs to be replaced, which is fortunately super-easy. What would we recommend as the easiest and best solution to brighten up the glorious NOS translite I just installed? I want even lighting and don't want to spend a lot.

2) The sound coming from the topper and cabinet is mediocre, at best. It's tinny and lacks low end. What have any of you done in the way of speaker upgrades? I really want this thing to punch.

Suggestions from what any of you all have done with respect to the above?

IMG_20201107_111420 (resized).jpgIMG_20201107_111420 (resized).jpgIMG_20201107_111941 (resized).jpgIMG_20201107_111941 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#64 3 years ago
Quoted from vindic8r:

Hey oldschoolgamer - Do you want to move this to a separate Tech thread - or did you already?
I should have time this weekend to send you some suggestions. And you can crosslink to this thread so that this crew sees it.

vindic8r The machine is awesome and I love the idea of upgrading the sound. Mine sounds tinny as well.

I sent you a message and posted my lastest challenge in the Tech Forum which I tagged you in.

Rock on...

#65 3 years ago

vindic8r -- I put an LED bulb in and it lit the whole thing up. Looks great

HMM (resized).jpgHMM (resized).jpg
#66 3 years ago

vindic8r The machine is awesome and I love the idea of upgrading the sound. Mine sounds tinny as well.
I sent you a message and posted my lastest challenge in the Tech Forum which I tagged you in.
Rock on...

Hey man, it looks like in your pic the top light is always on... that’s not right.

You likely need to switch the two pin plug supply to the top with the two pin plug supply to the bottom.

I never plugged the top in or I would have probably discovered that. Doh!

The LED bulb should look good with a new translite!

#67 3 years ago

I just brought this game back to life after it was sitting in a basement for 5 years! Everything seems to work but the ball locks don’t work all the time. The game seems to take the first ball lock every time but some balls after that I get the sound but the game doesn’t kick out the second ball or whatever ball I’m trying to lock after the first. I don’t think this is a switch issue because it works 100% in test and i can hear the sound it makes when it hits the switch etc.. Should the ramp switch have a diode or cap on it or just the two wires? I read another thread on RGP that a guy had the same issue he said he replaced the fuse sockets on the long board on the left in the head but I don’t see how this could of done anything as that board is for flashers only I thought. I did clean all the clips up as I don’t have enough to replace them. I also tested the ball trough switches and they are working 100% in the game and in test. Any ideas where to check from here would be great!

Well I did find a little connection point under the playfield for the load chamber switch and it did have a cap on it and a diode. I tried changing the cap out but that didnt help i also cut one leg on the cap and that didnt help. There is another small connection point for the eject chamber switch but that looked as though it never had a cap or diode on it. Can someone take a picture of these so I can double check the wiring since I already found one switch not wired correctly. Not sure what else would be causing this issue since i get the sound every time th ball hits the load chamber switch...
Thanks,
Joe

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from cyroute:

I just brought this game back to life after it was sitting in a basement for 5 years! Everything seems to work but the ball locks don’t work all the time. The game seems to take the first ball lock every time but some balls after that I get the sound but the game doesn’t kick out the second ball or whatever ball I’m trying to lock after the first. I don’t think this is a switch issue because it works 100% in test and i can hear the sound it makes when it hits the switch etc.. Should the ramp switch have a diode or cap on it or just the two wires? I read another thread on RGP that a guy had the same issue he said he replaced the fuse sockets on the long board on the left in the head but I don’t see how this could of done anything as that board is for flashers only I thought. I did clean all the clips up as I don’t have enough to replace them. I also tested the ball trough switches and they are working 100% in the game and in test. Any ideas where to check from here would be great!
Well I did find a little connection point under the playfield for the load chamber switch and it did have a cap on it and a diode. I tried changing the cap out but that didnt help i also cut one leg on the cap and that didnt help. There is another small connection point for the eject chamber switch but that looked as though it never had a cap or diode on it. Can someone take a picture of these so I can double check the wiring since I already found one switch not wired correctly. Not sure what else would be causing this issue since i get the sound every time th ball hits the load chamber switch...
Thanks,
Joe

I replaced every single fuse clip on mine.. They all had issues.

Did you test switches with a ball or your finger?

#69 3 years ago

dsuperbee yeah I plan on replacing the fuse clips I ordered 100 of them that should be enough lol! I tested the switches both ways they mess up no matter which way I test. It seems like the game is getting confused after the first ball. The first ball works 100% of the time then balls 2-5 are hit or miss. I adjusted all the switches in the ball trough and check all diodes. My next step was going to replace all the little caps on every switch in the row and column of the switch that is causing the issue. I was also going to try switching out the ramp switch with another switch to see if the switch is the issue. Just strange that it works sometimes but not others but once it doesn’t see the others balls being locked its pretty much game over at that point.
Thanks,
Joe

#70 3 years ago

Let's revive the activity! Looking for any playfield parts (side mirrors, plastic overlays (looks like one is broken), etc.) and any/all mod ideas Heavy Metal Meltdown

HMM (resized).jpgHMM (resized).jpgfull machine (resized).jpgfull machine (resized).jpg
#71 3 years ago

I dropped one of these in my game. I really like how the color kind of spreads out and doesn’t wash out the center of the backglass.

7F6A43A8-F0AA-4576-B470-41E643645473 (resized).png7F6A43A8-F0AA-4576-B470-41E643645473 (resized).png
#72 3 years ago

ChrisS Nice! Can you post a picture of what the backglass looks like with it in? The picture I posted has an LED bulb in it

#73 3 years ago

chriss Nice! Can you post a picture of what the backglass looks like with it in? The picture I posted has an LED bulb in it

I wish. It's currently stored since we are between houses.

I think it was really just a fluke. When I originally got the machine in I was working on it and the bulb in it was burnt out. I had this one sitting in the work room and thought. "What the hell" After it was in I was fine with it. These can be picked up anywhere. I just googled the pic for reference.

3 weeks later
#74 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Hey man, it looks like in your pic the top light is always on... that’s not right.
You likely need to switch the two pin plug supply to the top with the two pin plug supply to the bottom.
I never plugged the top in or I would have probably discovered that. Doh!
The LED bulb should look good with a new translite!

Hey hey - Great call. I did try switching J3 and J2 on the Dual SS board and no dice. I actually kept troubleshooting and did finally trace the issue all the way back to a couple of transistors on the MPU board, believe it or not. I'll post up more details on that in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-backbox-light-in-heavy-metal-meltdown

Let's revive the activity! Looking for any playfield parts (side mirrors, plastic overlays (looks like one is broken), etc.) and any/all mod ideas Heavy Metal Meltdown

Oof! Apologies for not jumping back in here sooner. Life distracted me for a bit.

Man, OldSchoolGamer - parts are REALLY hard to come by for this sucker. It would be great if we could convince CPR or someone to repro plastics!
Looks like a fair number of folks offer mirror blades, though - so you should be able to replace those without much issue (probably with much nicer/more durable material, too!).

As for my sound mod, I think I'm going to get a Flipper Fidelity System 11 kit and modify the topper box + cabinet a bit to get them to fit. I like the idea of adding an amplifier into the mix as well as new speakers. Sounds like EdHess did this mod to his Truck Stop, so I might ping him to see how hard it was.

Love the ideas of either just a regular LED or perhaps one of those fancier multicolor ones for the backbox. Once my MPU is repaired, I'll give this a whirl and post up some pics!

2 months later
#75 2 years ago

My two year old son has discovered a neat "feature" where he can reset the game to ball 1 midball if he presses the start button during ball 2 or 3. I looked in the manual and could not find a way to turn that off. Is that possible? Sadly I have not completed a game in several months because of this.

1 year later
#76 1 year ago

Hi can anyone tell me if this is the correct backglass trim replacement for HMM? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8091

1 month later
#77 1 year ago

Does anyone happen to have any teardown photos of this game? I started to shop mine about 9 years ago and then divorce happened so it sat untouched ever since. I unfortunately don't have photos of how to put the ramps back in & the rest of the playfield parts. Just want to make sure I put it together in the right order so I don't have to take something back out because I forgot something.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heavy-metal-m-m-m-m-m-meltdown/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.