Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by hocuslocus
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    DF970F0B-48A5-4821-9093-7379EF17A519 (resized).jpeg
    59D2A096-9608-4122-A6FF-CF121AF44DD5 (resized).jpeg
    5A426C8D-A616-409B-9F06-0066798F16AA (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E7B991DC-734F-4E11-81E9-493FBF48507F (resized).jpeg
    9755E495-5DE4-4C9F-8426-CAB128780447 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2020-03-07 The Custom Shop Heavy Metal Gallery – classicplayfields com (resized).png
    660BAA42-5110-4A88-BA6E-0BF8B16CC54D (resized).jpeg
    hm_brazil (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200302-205412_Yahoo Mail (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1583192200326 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200301_081432_com.android.chrome[2071] (resized).jpg
    88286577_10158242634324244_6325053501932044288_o (resized).jpg
    fefca7f49fc5ebb998a8b846bf7f183b--hard-rock-trading-cards (resized).jpg
    C9E341C0-A5AF-40C6-8E0B-8305861A41A1.gif
    There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
    #251 4 years ago

That older one actually looks better. The only Heavy Metal I'm familiar with was the first movie, and not actively reading the magazine. The second HM movie was unwatchable, to be chucked in the archive of box office poison animated sci-fi movies.

#252 4 years ago

This game looks like a piece of crap. I'd hate to be a Stern line worker and have to look at that artwork all day.

#253 4 years ago

They'll probably assemble all of the orders in one day and the workers will never have to look at it again.

Quoted from pipes:

This game looks like a piece of crap. I'd hate to be a Stern line worker and have to look at that artwork all day.

#254 4 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Assuming a patient seller, you could probably resell the couch edition for $10k and lose $5k. You could probably sell Heavy Metal for $4k and only lose $4k. Heavy Metal might actually be less of a rip off...

Bad logic.

With Heavy Metal, you'd be losing 50%. EHOH you'd be losing 33%.

#255 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

They'll probably assemble all of the orders in one day and the workers will never have to look at it again.

Bingo.

People still don't get it.

I hear Primus was on and off the line in a day. This is a real pinball factory, they can do stuff like that.

#256 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I am pretty sure it will be off the line by 9AM break on day 1...if Stern has those.

#257 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

I'd hate to be a Stern line worker and have to look at that artwork all day.

THAT's the part aboot a shitty line work job that would bother you?

#258 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Bingo.
    People still don't get it.
    I hear Primus was on and off the line in a day. This is a real pinball factory, they can do stuff like that.

And I'll say it again because it's worth saying. The quality on that machine definitely backs that up.

#259 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

THAT's the part aboot a shitty line work job that would bother you?

Have you seen the pics? Working there otherwise must be a truly magical experience.

#260 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

And I'll say it again because it's worth saying. The quality on that machine definitely backs that up.

That food was terrible. And such small portions!

#261 4 years ago

I don’t care who commissioned, designed, envisioned or created that Playfield, it looks like sh*t.

#262 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I don’t care who commissioned, designed, envisioned or created that Playfield, it looks like sh*t.

I'm waiting for the announcement that some disabled, dying 12 year old designed it as a love letter to his dad, and his dad had it commisioned and is heartbroken by all the negative comments.

#263 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I'm waiting for the announcement that some disabled, dying 12 year old designed it as a love letter to his dad, and his dad had it commisioned and is heartbroken by all the negative comments.

That reminds me of the Aaron Spelling retheme I played at Expo.

However, that game had better artwork, and a slap fight video mode.

#264 4 years ago

It's not so much the art, which isn't fantastic so far, it's about the layout, which mirroring the equally dull Star Wars release. It matches up exactly, sadly.....

And only 1/3 of the game is visible so far, and NONE of us here were buying it anyway, so cool your jets man.

#265 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Both, but Elvira is a superb game that will only get better.
    This looks cheap, but it's anything but!

Well..
    Yeah... Lets think about this code and the rules. The good. It'll probably ship with 1.0 code.
    The bad. No code updates ever. And you bet its rules are just a swap of the SW home rules.

#266 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Well..
    Yeah... Lets think about this code and the rules. The good. It'll probably ship with 1.0 code.
    The bad. No code updates ever. And you bet its rules are just a swap of the SW home rules.

Yes. I’d be shocked if the rules differ from Star Wars home at all. Rules are done. Only work is to create the art, dots, and sound package.

#267 4 years ago

It's a crying shame.

#268 4 years ago
    Quoted from elf70:

It's a crying shame.

I think I'm going to curl into a fetal position and cry over this.

#270 4 years ago

CPR do custom work. One offs. To be clear, you hire an artist to create unique artwork (no copyright infringement) for PF, plastics, BG, cabinet decals, etc. So it isn't cheap and they won't replicate the same art, twice.

Anyway, if any of you are a lifelong Heavy Metal fan and are seriously interested and disappointed by the Stern offering, here is a link to a gallery of a conversion of a Firepower game to Heavy Metal. Get ready to drool....this one looks sweet (warning: MATURE content here!):

https://classicplayfields.com/heavy-metal/

According to their pricing, I'm guessing ballpark you would probably be in the $8,500 range for the art *materials* to *do the rebuild yourself*:

1. Customer Re-Theme Option 2: $3,000
    2. Custom cabinet decals: $350
    3. Custom topper: $90
    4. Plus custom artwork: $5,000(?) -- depends on the quote, which depends on the artwork you want done

Please note: I am not connected to CPR in any way. I did do an evaluation of what it would cost a few weeks ago at the prompting of a friend...because I have a Firepower; he is a rabid Heavy Metal fan; and this looks incredibly good (would look killer next to my rebuilt Centaur). But I'm skipping, it's too much $ for my tastes since I'm not a true HM fan.

#271 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

CPR do custom work. One offs. To be clear, you hire an artist to create unique artwork (no copyright infringement) for PF, plastics, BG, cabinet decals, etc. So it isn't cheap and they won't replicate the same art, twice.
    Anyway, if any of you are a lifelong Heavy Metal fan and are seriously interested and disappointed by the Stern offering, here is a link to a gallery of a conversion of a Firepower game to Heavy Metal. Get ready to drool....this one looks sweet (warning: MATURE content here!):
    According to their pricing, I'm guessing ballpark you would probably be in the $8,500 range for the art *materials* to *do the rebuild yourself*:
    4. Plus custom artwork: $5,000(?) -- depends on the quote, which depends on the artwork you want done
    Please note: I am not connected to CPR in any way. I did do an evaluation of what it would cost a few weeks ago at the prompting of a friend...because I have a Firepower; he is a rabid Heavy Metal fan; and this looks incredibly good (would look killer next to my rebuilt Centaur). But I'm skipping, it's too much $ for my tastes since I'm not a true HM fan.

Wow - if that was the playfield they'd sell some pins..

#272 4 years ago

Cary Hardy is cool. No BS, just tells it like it is.

#273 4 years ago

I think the number of pins they will sell will probably be in the single digits. They are hoping to rope in the die hard Heavy Metal fans and have them pony up $8300 for this MS Paint garbage. I'm a die hard Heavy Metal fan as well as a die hard pinball fan and this is an easy pass.

#274 4 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

I think the number of pins they will sell will probably be in the single digits. They are hoping to rope in the die hard Heavy Metal fans and have them pony up $8300 for this MS Paint garbage. I'm a die hard Heavy Metal fan as well as a die hard pinball fan and this is an easy pass.

Im in the same boat. Die hard HM fan and pinball fan. They shoot them selves in the foot with the Pinball crowd. There only hope is to sell to none pinball fans. But I think we will see a run of about 50 built. That will be a one time build. Only going that high because I’m sure some distros will order some to play the slow rarity flip.

#275 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

that custom art was amazing , i didn't know CPR branched out this way . I'm totally over this stern offering at this point , I just follow along because everybody is so animated (in a good way) not the weak playfeild art way , CPR can do an HM theme in convincing fashion ,they should make a calendar of their special pins

#276 4 years ago

As underwhelming the art is ( kinda looks like final fantasy ? )

I don't mind FF but this is supposed to be Heavy Metal.

Anyway, I'm an optimist and would like to think that the dots and tunes might make up for the ordinary art package.

Game will be cool with audio,visual and lighting effects.

Pity the price point is stupid.

#277 4 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

I'm an optimist

That is an understatement for sure.

#278 4 years ago

Didn't anyone notice that the playfield inserts for Heavy Metal seem exactly the same as Star Wars home pin? Is this how Stern uses up those parts for a game that probably didn't sell?

Rob

#279 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Didn't anyone notice that the playfield inserts for Heavy Metal seem exactly the same as Star Wars home pin?

Yes, all of us. It should be the same PF as SW home, SM home, Supreme
    They can keep using it because it's not for pinheads, so it doens;t really matter

#280 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Didn't anyone notice that the playfield inserts for Heavy Metal seem exactly the same as Star Wars home pin? Is this how Stern uses up those parts for a game that probably didn't sell?
    Rob

It's not like they're taking playfields sanding down the art and putting new art on. Same CAD files though. Most of the parts in the home games are fairly standard parts that Stern will just always have on hand, save for the ramps and habitrails (but I wouldn't be shocked if someone pointed out those are re-used on other games besides the home games)

#281 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

GODDAMMIT! Stop saying this (you and the 20 other guys who keep suggesting it). It's not how it works.

They aren't "using up parts." They order the parts they need for the games they need. When they did this contract job, they ordered the parts they needed to make it. That's what Stern has been doing for decades and it's why they don't close out pins like Williams did. It's why they are still in the pinball business and Williams/Bally isn't. Stern has always been flexible, and their production model relies on NOT ordering a bunch of shit they don't need.

It's one of the dumbest Stern "burns" and people keep repeating it as if they've stumbled across the next "10K by Christmas!" They didn't make Primus and pabst because they had a ton of Whoa Nellie parts laying around. They made it because Primus and Pabst paid them to make it, and then they ordered/produced the parts they needed to fill those orders. They didn't make Supreme because they "have a bunch of Spider man home" parts laying around, they made it because Supreme paid them to make it.

JUST LIKE THIS HEAVY METAL GAME for the 9 billionth time. Just like the next 10 contract jobs where people are gonna repeat the same inanities about.

#282 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

GODDAMMIT! Stop saying this (you and the 20 other guys who keep suggesting it). It's not how it works.
    They aren't "using up parts." They order the parts they need for the games they need. When they did this contract job, they ordered the parts they needed to make it. That's what Stern has been doing for decades and it's why they don't close out pins like Williams did. It's why they are still in the pinball business and Williams/Bally isn't. Stern has always been flexible, and their production model relies on NOT ordering a bunch of shit they don't need.
    It's one of the dumbest Stern "burns" and people keep repeating it, acting like they are geniuses for coming up with it. They didn't make Primus and pabst because they had a ton of Whoa Nellie parts laying around. They made it because Primus and Pabst paid them to make it, and then they ordered/produced the parts they needed to fill those orders. They didn't make Supreme because they "have a bunch of Spider man home" parts laying around, they made it because Supreme paid them to make it.
    JUST LIKE THIS HEAVY METAL GAME for the 9 billionth time. Just like the next 10 contract jobs where people are gonna repeat the same inanities about.
    I don't know why people can't just bitch about Stern without inventing these moronic theories to bolster their case. It's just as fun to whine about stern without the dumb theories that make no sense as it is with them.

But DMD does seem like they had some old parts / boards for that. It's not like the lcd spike2 boards can't be put in DMD mode if they don't want to do the LCD art costs. And the lcd has to cost less then an DMD.

#283 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

But DMD does seem like they had some old parts / boards for that. It's not like the lcd spike2 boards can't be put in DMD mode if they don't want to do the LCD art costs. And the lcd has to cost less then an DMD.

I would actually say it was probably because making visuals for DMD is easier/cheaper than animating for LCD. Costs of the DMD screens probably does cost more than LCD though. Even though it says "DMD" maybe it really is just LCD in DMD mode.

#284 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I would actually say it was probably because making visuals for DMD is easier/cheaper than animating for LCD.

This is the question we've never known the answer too.

#285 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

See now that is absolutely gorgeous.

#286 4 years ago

As a Diehard fan of Heavy Metal magazine. I won't touch this thing with a ten foot pole. Sorry uninspired

#287 4 years ago

I liked the theme but would never waste time with home pin mechanics. Not to mention reused layout and weak art. /sigh

#288 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

“Ronnie’s Sex Tips” is the theme Stern should be going for. Stern by Stern.
    “Shoot your balls in her asschreeks”
    Jackpot callout: “YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!”

I'd pay big money for a Howard Stern-themed pin personally. Plenty of material to work with for sure, and Baba Booey already has a pin in his house. Then they'd finally have a Stern Stern machine.

#289 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Producing content for LCD does NOT cost less than the DMD, it costs more. More time, more money, more resources.

"Using up old parts" was not in the equation when it came to designing and building this.

The last games that were designed to "use up old parts" were probably Six Million Dollar Man, or maybe the very last gottlieb EM games.

#290 4 years ago

I guess I'm the only one who thinks that CPR heavy metal retheme is pretty meh. I mean sure, it looks awesome compared to the stern one, but still looks laughably bad IMO. Contrasting art styles never work for me

#291 4 years ago
    660BAA42-5110-4A88-BA6E-0BF8B16CC54D (resized).jpeg660BAA42-5110-4A88-BA6E-0BF8B16CC54D (resized).jpeg
    #292 4 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I guess I'm the only one who thinks that CPR heavy metal retheme is pretty meh. I mean sure, it looks awesome compared to the stern one, but still looks laughably bad IMO. Contrasting art styles never work for me

Nope, you're not the only one. I like the backglass but the playfield is just way over the other direction. They don't match up.

#293 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Nope, you're not the only one. I like the backglass but the playfield is just way over the other direction. They don't match up.

it was heavy on the ladies that were not in the movie but it was still artful

#294 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I like the backglass but the playfield is just way over the other direction. They don't match up.

if you Read the paragraph of text next to all the pretty pictures you will understand that when Stu did this artwork he was creating a "hybrid" of the Movie & Magazine, hence the different styles and artwork. He was not designing it based solely on the movie. All of the images he used are either in the Movie or from HM Magazine Covers.....

Screenshot_2020-03-07 The Custom Shop Heavy Metal Gallery – classicplayfields com (resized).pngScreenshot_2020-03-07 The Custom Shop Heavy Metal Gallery – classicplayfields com (resized).png
    #295 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cherries_Jubilee:

if you Read the paragraph of text next to all the pretty pictures you will understand that when Stu did this artwork he was creating a "hybrid" of the Movie & Magazine, hence the different styles and artwork. He was not designing it based solely on the movie. All of the images he used are either in the Movie or from HM Magazine Covers.....
    https://classicplayfields.com/heavy-metal/[quoted image]

never seen the magazines only the movie , thank you for the information , i'm fond of the dragon pic on the right bumper it looks franzetta

#296 4 years ago

the movie had a lot of differing artist styles too did it not?

#297 4 years ago

Yeah I know. I read that. Not saying the playfield art is bad. Just saying it's a clash of two different styles of art as far as I'm concerned. Sorry don't like it.
    But I would love to get the backglass.

#298 4 years ago

ok but it still looks bad

#299 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's one of the dumbest Stern "burns" and people keep repeating it as if they've stumbled across the next "10K by Christmas!" They didn't make Primus and pabst because they had a ton of Whoa Nellie parts laying around. They made it because Primus and Pabst paid them to make it, and then they ordered/produced the parts they needed to fill those orders. They didn't make Supreme because they "have a bunch of Spider man home" parts laying around, they made it because Supreme paid them to make it.

you sure? I heard they had an overabundance of 1/4" white circle inserts.

#300 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Not the first time I've heard stuff like that, another story my pinball mechanic told me (don't want to believe it) they have used the same play field but turned it over, so everything is reversed on the playfield

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heavy-metal-/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.