Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by hocuslocus
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    DF970F0B-48A5-4821-9093-7379EF17A519 (resized).jpeg
    59D2A096-9608-4122-A6FF-CF121AF44DD5 (resized).jpeg
    5A426C8D-A616-409B-9F06-0066798F16AA (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E7B991DC-734F-4E11-81E9-493FBF48507F (resized).jpeg
    9755E495-5DE4-4C9F-8426-CAB128780447 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2020-03-07 The Custom Shop Heavy Metal Gallery – classicplayfields com (resized).png
    660BAA42-5110-4A88-BA6E-0BF8B16CC54D (resized).jpeg
    hm_brazil (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200302-205412_Yahoo Mail (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1583192200326 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200301_081432_com.android.chrome[2071] (resized).jpg
    88286577_10158242634324244_6325053501932044288_o (resized).jpg
    fefca7f49fc5ebb998a8b846bf7f183b--hard-rock-trading-cards (resized).jpg
    C9E341C0-A5AF-40C6-8E0B-8305861A41A1.gif
    There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

It's Brendon Small. If you know his work, you probably can guess what sort of music is expected. I would be surprised if they bothered with anything non-original. Bach is ok as a vocalist, given the right backing band. And Brendon is the right choice, IMO.

My guess is it will be a bunch of covers from songs from the movie by the Bach/Small Experience. Cool way to get those songs in there, likely wouldn’t be possible to use the original recordings.

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My guess is it will be a bunch of covers from songs from the movie by the Bach/Small Experience. Cool way to get those songs in there, likely wouldn’t be possible to use the original recordings.

God, I hope not. I don't need the Bach/Small version of a Journey song. Ever.

#203 4 years ago

I kinda wish they didn't bother with this license. The art so far doesn't feel edgy or sexy, which my memory of the film and the tone of the art back then, is how things felt.

This falls more towards the Playboy going clothed for a few years, somewhat recently.

Anyone else feeling this vibe or lack thereof?

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

God, I hope not. I don't need the Bach/Small version of a Journey song. Ever.

I’m thinking the don felder song. It rules!

And maybe mob rules.

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

I kinda wish they didn't bother with this license. The art so far doesn't feel edgy or sexy, which my memory of the film and the tone of the art back then, is how things felt.
    This falls more towards the Playboy going clothed for a few years, somewhat recently.
    Anyone else feeling this vibe or lack thereof?

I’m getting the vibe you don’t understand this project at all, despite it being spelled out a dozen times.

It’s a contract job. A company paid stern to make these and are selling them to their own customers. Stern didn’t pay for the license.

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m getting the vibe you don’t understand this project at all, despite it being spelled out a dozen times.
    It’s a contract job. A company paid stern to make these and are selling them to their own customers. Stern didn’t pay for the license.

I do understand the vibe, thanks for your unsolicited appraisal of my vibe knowledge.

I am not criticizing Stern or whomever paid for this art. I am criticizing the tone of it. Whomever initiated this, doesn't matter to me.

Once the info came last week, it was a contract job, a reskin of Star Wars Homepin, and most likely a modern take sans film assets and original soundtrack, that was already a massive set of strikes against this. Not to mention pricing.

Hell...no Hagar alone sucks quite a lot....

#207 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Unless it's a total dog of a player or priced like the Mona Lisa, yeah, I'm interested.

Who wants to tell him?

#208 4 years ago

I'm a Metal Head.
    Price point Killed any interest to add this this title to my collection.
    2k less and ya might have had my dollars "Heavy Metal contract" dude/s.

I can see a couple of hundred selling at the stupid price.
    maybe a few hundred more had it been priced right.

Ah well, it's all about testing the limits I suppose.

#209 4 years ago

It sounds like this will include music from the movie. Incendium has replied on Facebook that this will include Blue Oyster Cult’s Veteran Of The Psychic Wars, and songs they couldn’t license, they covered.

#210 4 years ago

Why the DMD display though? Unless the code is being built off an existing title like Supreme to save time and development costs? And with DMD, is it still SPIKE 2 or SAM?

I think it would have been a cool license if based off the movie and using LCD. But, these overpriced, non-cornerstone games are generally underwhelming so I'm not expecting much and it's certainly not on my wishlist.

Rob

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from L0STB0Y:

It sounds like this will include music from the movie. Incendium has replied on Facebook that this will include Blue Oyster Cult’s Veteran Of The Psychic Wars, and songs they couldn’t license, they covered.

I read that earlier tonight too! Covered and licensed, and sometimes both of the same song.

Set list released on 3/20.

#212 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

Why the DMD display though? Unless the code is being built off an existing title like Supreme to save time and development costs? And with DMD, is it still SPIKE 2 or SAM?
    I think it would have been a cool license if based off the movie and using LCD. But, these overpriced, non-cornerstone games are generally underwhelming so I'm not expecting much and it's certainly not on my wishlist.
    Rob

Maybe SPIKE 1 or SAM Save costs by burning down old stock of boards?

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

I'm a Metal Head.
    Price point Killed any interest to add this this title to my collection.
    2k less and ya might have had my dollars Stern Pinball.
    I can see a couple of hundred selling at the stupid price.
    maybe a few hundred more had it been priced right.
    Ah well, it's all about testing the limits I suppose.

Again, Stern was contracted to build the games. They've already been paid, the company that contracted them set the price.

#214 4 years ago
    Quoted from PokerJake:

Again, Stern was contracted to build the games. They've already been paid, the company that contracted them set the price.

It’s pointless.

Even when they get it...they don’t get it.

#215 4 years ago

Thanks guys, post edited to reflect my ignorance.

I do think the game will be cool.

#216 4 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Thanks guys, post edited to reflect my ignorance.
    I do think the game will be cool.

Phew..lucky you! An offending Penitent Pinsider usually has to self swat 50 times with a dirty sock filled with pitted pinballs.

At least the licensor seems to be engaging it's customers on some level already. That's a decent sign!

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Priest rules!
    Sabbath rules!
    All that punk fuck can go to the moon
    Madonna? She's a dick!

This punk shit, Circle of Shit & the Dicks and all. That can go to hell. I don't care.

#218 4 years ago

Contract hits! Sabbathian Black! Red dots! Pop bumbers! Youth Gone Wild! Metal!

In the unlikely case I ever see one, I'll pay and play poorly, so operators look out!

#219 4 years ago

It really doesn’t matter “who” set the price. The price is the price. And it’s a pretty damn important thing to consider when many of us here buy games for personal collections. Contract game, no contract game, it’s still a pinball machine with a price. It’s fair to judge it as such.

#220 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

It really doesn’t matter “who” set the price. The price is the price. And it’s a pretty damn important thing to consider when many of us here buy games for personal collections. Contract game, no contract game, it’s still a pinball machine with a price. It’s fair to judge it as such.

Well....it being a contract game, has to imply that both the manufacturer and license holder have some say in it's creation and cost. Unless someone is an insider for either company, and wants to share inside info, I'm going to assume it was a mutual decision to...some...degree.

And even if not, then one company or the other, set the price, and did so quite high for seemingly not a fully new design/layout, and possibly less features than a regular Stern pin.

#221 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Is that price a typo??!!
    DMD pro lite ..... $8299????
    That is insanity!

welcome to Aussie pricing my friend, just add your 10percent gst & your getting close

Screenshot_20200301_081432_com.android.chrome[2071] (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200301_081432_com.android.chrome[2071] (resized).jpg
    #222 4 years ago

heavy metal the magazine really has nothing to do with . heavy metal the genre . the magazine started in 1977 far before bands were called metal bands for the most part ! the 8300 price tag will keep me away unfortunatley

#223 4 years ago
    FB_IMG_1583192200326 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1583192200326 (resized).jpg
    #224 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

[quoted image]

Just saw this via Kaneda's page. Glad he posted it.

It's......kinda there. I wasn't going to buy it either way, so.

#225 4 years ago

Looks like shit... But like you, I wasnt a buyer anyway. This will definitely be a rare pin, for all the wrong reasons.

#226 4 years ago

No matter how much I want to like this game based on theme alone. It just keeps getting worse and worse. If this were a normal corner stone game or even a KaPow I would have been a buyer. I'd still think about it if game was priced at 3k but this is crazy man, just crazy.

#227 4 years ago

Maybe Stern didn't design the artwork. Maybe that was part of the contract...maybe...

#228 4 years ago

Just amazing what about 9k after taxes and shipping will get you... Maybe closer to 9,400...

I don't hate the art like how most people do.
    But, its very underwhelming. Like everything with this pin has been so far.
    And that price tag... Its not going to really do any favors for shipping units. Sure Stern made its money.
    I do bet though they get a taste of each unit they do sell though.

And coupled with the fact that you're not going to get any toys or real mechs.

It'll still be just one node board for all the pops.(most likely).

And it's a dmd instead of an LCD. LCDs do not cost that much money. Can get them pretty cheap. I know it would cost a bit more to get the animations done for an LCD than an DMD. But, they could do something more like Alice Cooper, and use more of their existing art assets, and just enhance them or modify them to work...

The only way I would consider this is really 4k... My price went down. I know it won't drop that much, and I don't think these will sell enough to even be on the secondary market. So I think this pin will be unobtainium.
    And I think I'm okay with that.
    A shame cos I enjoy the movie, enjoy the magazine and LOVE the genre of music. This is one one way ticket to midnight I'm going to have to pass on though.

#229 4 years ago

The playfield artwork reminds me of Whoa Nelly pinball period at Stern. I was hoping that they would be looking to expand the hobby with women and be more inclusive..... instead we get boobs. I get that it is true to this license, but you would have thought about this before accepting

#230 4 years ago

Stern probably didn’t do the art, but they could have at least said “hey, you should reconsider the one element that will guarantee sales to collectors”

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stuieb84:

The playfield artwork reminds me of Whoa Nelly pinball period at Stern. I was hoping that they would be looking to expand the hobby with women and be more inclusive..... instead we get boobs. I get that it is true to this license, but you would have thought about this before accepting

It's a good thing millions of women around the world aren't spending thousands of dollars getting BOOB jobs. (and then wearing skimpy tops to show them off) Who wants to be forced to look nice pair of boobs. Oh the horror.

#232 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

It's a good thing millions of women around the world aren't spending thousands of dollars getting BOOB jobs. (and then wearing skimpy tops to show them off) Who wants to be forced to look nice pair of boobs. Oh the horror.

Its Elvira's House of Horrors.
    Not ohhh the horror...

I mean you were talking about boobs right?!?!?! And we all know that game is built!!!
    I mean look at that house toy in it. What a mech....

Plus she's got big boobs!

#233 4 years ago

what is presented here so far looks like Saturday morning kiddy cartoons , is that skeletor?

#234 4 years ago

It's turning into nipplegate on Sterns facebook page. LOL

#235 4 years ago

The playfield(with the blended-in slingshots, etc) looks like a homebrew Visual Pinball table. A bad one at that.

#236 4 years ago

House of whores. Anyone... anyone...? Sigh.

But on a real note. Someone earlier pointed out that once shipped this games will run you 9400.

That's 100 dollars more than I paid for my butter cab, optioned out RaM.

And wasnt the star wars home pin priced at like 4500-5K??

I get the contract thing. I get that people explained that the company that contracted this pun sets the price but one would think that it would behoove Stern to not let a contract pin be almost double the price of the model it's based on let alone out pricing a maxed out pinball from just about anyone else. Themselves included.

#237 4 years ago

From the heavy metal email list

Screenshot_20200302-205412_Yahoo Mail (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200302-205412_Yahoo Mail (resized).jpg
    #238 4 years ago

This really makes me sad. If this was a full game, and they pulled out all the stops and made some LE’s to the quality that they could, I’d be the first in line for one. Makes me want to cry.

#239 4 years ago
    Quoted from elf70:

This really makes me sad. If this was a full game, and they pulled out all the stops and made some LE’s to the quality that they could, I’d be the first in line for one. Makes me want to cry.

Agreed. This is my dream theme. I'm literally counting down the minutes to buy some Blue Oyster Cult tickets right now. But it just doesn't look all that great, and I can't justify (or for that matter afford) buying a home use pinball machine that costs as much as a nice used Cadillac. The art is particularly baffling. Even beyond the music, the ONE THING a Heavy Metal pinball machine ought to have is an art package that looks like it was carried over from an early 1980s issue of the magazine. This just looks too slick and modern. I'm interested to see gameplay, but I'm really underwhelmed so far.

#240 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Looks like shit... But like you, I wasnt a buyer anyway. This will definitely be a rare pin, for all the wrong reasons.

Iceman are you buying one? Maybe an LE?

#241 4 years ago
    Quoted from elf70:

100% I have been hoping for this pin to be released as a cornerstone game for years but instead we get a re-themed Star Wars "the pin" for double the price and very little relates to the 1981 movie. Tarna and the dead pilot zombies look good though.

#242 4 years ago

$8k+ for a badly re-themed home pin, we have hit peak absurdity.

#243 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

$8k+ for a badly re-themed home pin, we have hit peak absurdity.

I think it’s hilarious.

#244 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I think it’s hilarious.

Loved Heavy Metal magazine when it first came out and the movie while a bit uneven has its charms.

Just sad. I understand its a contract job and someone signed off on it but a poor way to handle the license.

#245 4 years ago

I should make a poll on which is the bigger ripoff: $8200 Heavy Metal home edition, or the $15k Elvira couch swatch?

#246 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I should make a poll on which is the bigger ripoff: $8200 Heavy Metal home edition, or the $15k Elvira couch swatch?

Assuming a patient seller, you could probably resell the couch edition for $10k and lose $5k. You could probably sell Heavy Metal for $4k and only lose $4k. Heavy Metal might actually be less of a rip off...

#247 4 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Assuming a patient seller, you could probably resell the couch edition for $10k and lose $5k. You could probably sell Heavy Metal for $4k and only lose $4k. Heavy Metal might actually be less of a rip off...

What a time to be alive!

#248 4 years ago

Sad thing is that no one is going to make a proper Heavy Metal pin after this thinking that it's been done already. Sad day for Heavy Metal fans hoping for a proper pin.

#249 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Both, but Elvira is a superb game that will only get better.

This looks cheap, but it's anything but!

#250 4 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Sad thing is that no one is going to make a proper Heavy Metal pin after this thinking that it's been done already. Sad day for Heavy Metal fans hoping for a proper pin.

Well, it happened once before: https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5175

hm_brazil (resized).jpghm_brazil (resized).jpg
    There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heavy-metal-/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.