Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by hocuslocus
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    DF970F0B-48A5-4821-9093-7379EF17A519 (resized).jpeg
    59D2A096-9608-4122-A6FF-CF121AF44DD5 (resized).jpeg
    5A426C8D-A616-409B-9F06-0066798F16AA (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E7B991DC-734F-4E11-81E9-493FBF48507F (resized).jpeg
    9755E495-5DE4-4C9F-8426-CAB128780447 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2020-03-07 The Custom Shop Heavy Metal Gallery – classicplayfields com (resized).png
    660BAA42-5110-4A88-BA6E-0BF8B16CC54D (resized).jpeg
    hm_brazil (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200302-205412_Yahoo Mail (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1583192200326 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200301_081432_com.android.chrome[2071] (resized).jpg
    88286577_10158242634324244_6325053501932044288_o (resized).jpg
    fefca7f49fc5ebb998a8b846bf7f183b--hard-rock-trading-cards (resized).jpg
    C9E341C0-A5AF-40C6-8E0B-8305861A41A1.gif
    There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Distros are quoting $8299.

Post the link for the Distro

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Post the link for the Distro

You need to call. Call your favorite distro.

#153 4 years ago
    C9E341C0-A5AF-40C6-8E0B-8305861A41A1.gifC9E341C0-A5AF-40C6-8E0B-8305861A41A1.gif
    #154 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Doggie Diner. A few of them in IL.

poor man's Portillos

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Original Soundtrack Featuring Sebastian Bach, Brendon Small, The Night Flight Orchestra, And More To Be Announced!

What the hell is metal about this? I mean Skid Row is not Heavy Metal. Never heard of the other 2. Most likely this will be a jokey mess and bad attempt to capture anything Heavy Metal. I think its time for a break.

#156 4 years ago

Metal Hurlant (aka howling metal) is the original French publication. “Heavy Metal” is just a non-literal translation. The magazine is not about heavy metal music. Skid Row’s second album is more metal than anything on the movie soundtrack. Not gonna criticize the game soundtrack until I hear it.

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

What the hell is metal about this? I mean Skid Row is not Heavy Metal. Never heard of the other 2. Most likely this will be a jokey mess and bad attempt to capture anything Heavy Metal. I think its time for a break.

Slave to the Grind is a Heavy, HEAVY Album. Monkey Business, Title Track, The Threat... Amazing 3 lead in songs.

Yes, their debut album was very commercial. And mostly wasn't that great. But, it had 2 amazing and very metal songs on it. 18 and life and Youth Gone Wild... But, even those were more commercial than slave to the grinds sound.

And Yancy is right... Except. I mean... You got Mob Rules from Dio era Black Sabbath. And while I love Skid Row. Dio trumps that and Mob Rules is a very heavy song. A bit of thrash metal vibe on that one. But,yeah... The restof the album while good. Not the heaviest. But, I'll always love Sammy's song about that certain one way ticket to midnight... Call it HEAVY METAL!
    or... Noise.

And listen to the title track of Slave to the Grind. The noose gets tighter. Around my throat, but I'm not at the end of my rope. No I won't be the one left behind. Can't be king of the world. If you're a SLAVE TO THE GRIND. Tear down the rat race and slime. Can't be king of the world if you're just a slave to the grind! KICK IT!

Trust me dude. Its heavy stuff. Don't judge Skid Row, by I'll remember you. Which hey. I had a girlfriend that loved that song. So I have no complaints about that one either.

#158 4 years ago

Yea Slave to the Grind was quite a turn from their debut. Still a great album to listen to. (I was a fan of the first album as well though).

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Slave to the Grind is a Heavy, HEAVY Album.

No its not. Then again I never considered that style of band as Metal. Just hard rock or just plain old RnR. A good Metal pin for me would be Priest, Slayer, Older Metallica and Megadeth. Perhaps some Anvil?

#160 4 years ago

If you think Anvil is good and heavy, but Slave to the Grind isn't...I don't think you've actually listened to it. But to each their own, plenty of bands I don't like as well.

#161 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

No its not. Then again I never considered that style of band as Metal. Just hard rock or just plain old RnR. A good Metal pin for me would be Priest, Slayer, Older Metallica and Megadeth. Perhaps some Anvil?

I dedicated my life to heavy metal mate.

And slave to the grind is heavy. Listen to his voice on that album its intense.

And I own all of priests albums except rock a rolla and demolition. I've forgotten more about heavy metal than most people would know.

But, then again I think you might think that a Bowie is just a knife.
    So what's this funk... that you call junk... To me its just Monkey Business... And really that's what this topic has devolved into.
    Monkey Business. Just know most people viewed Slave to the Grind as a heavy metal album and consider it the first 1 heavy metal album on the billboard charts of the sound scan era.
    You're missing out on an amazing album. When I need to get pumped up and pissed at the world. I put that album on and I SCREAM AND SHRIEK! And just let off steam!
    So yeah mate... Like what you want. But, it's going to take more than you claiming Slave to the grind isn't heavy. To make me smile pretty for the wrecking ball.

#162 4 years ago

Oh... Side note about Anvil. My favorite part of that documentary. Was the look on Michael Schenkers face when the guy talked to him about playing the guitar with a Dildo.

Schenker is my favorite guitarist ever. I own almost all of his albums(he has over 50 if you count live albums). Just missing I think 2 Thank You's and a few live ones. But, i got his important live albums and most of them. Just Michael Schenker Story live i don't have.

Glad the documentary brought them a little bit of success. But, not a real fan of them. They had heart. But, I wouldn't consider any of them a master of the craft.

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

I dedicated my life to heavy metal mate.

Why?

Quoted from Diospinball:

Glad the documentary brought them a little bit of success. But, not a real fan of them. They had heart. But, I wouldn't consider any of them a master of the craft.

I agree. I loved that album when I was young lad but haven't listened to it since. I'm more of a Death Metal fan than hair bands and classic Metal. Painkiller is Heavy. Slayer to me is heavy so Skid Row? not so much but hey what ever floats ur boat. Listen my main go to music is Classical. You wanna talk heavy. Vivaldi. People love to think Sabbath or Priest etc. invented Heavy Metal but it was Vivaldi. "The Madness" around 7:30 min in u will hear the first ever Metal riffs come to life.

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Why?

I agree. I loved that album when I was young lad but haven't listened to it since. I'm more of a Death Metal fan than hair bands and classic Metal. Painkiller is Heavy. Slayer to me is heavy so Skid Row? not so much but hey what ever floats ur boat. Listen my main go to music is Classical. You wanna talk heavy. Vivaldi. People love to think Sabbath or Priest etc. invented Heavy Metal but it was Vivaldi. "The Madness" around 7:30 min in u will hear the first ever Metal riffs come to life.

Why... Because its the music of the gods my friend.

Painkiller is an amazing album. But, I'd rate it only as Priests 3rd best album. For me Stained Class and Screaming for Vengeance take priority. And all music is built on the shoulders of the giants that came before it. Iron Maiden wouldn't be there without their influences and Judas Priest is the same as well. KK loved Jimi Hendrix. Myself. I can listen to Jimi but, I don't love his stuff. But, KK loves the guy. So I'm grateful that Jimi did his thing to inspire not just KK, but all the other people out there. And I personally don't subscribe to the Sabbath invented metal theory. They certainly were one of the brick layers for the foundation. But, its really is a bit more murky and not as cut and dried as people tend to think. Because, there are elements of metal found in Deep Purple, Rainbow, and early Sabbath albums. But, for an album to be straight on throw a heavy metal album start to finish... Those didn't start to really come together until the late 70s and early 80s.

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

It’s an absolute no lose for Stern, but people are too blinded by dimple rage to see this

Dimple rage. Pooling anxiety. Pricing depression. Overall Sternistic Apathy.

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Dimple rage. Pooling anxiety. Pricing depression. Overall Sternistic Apathy.

Isn't Dimple Rage what people on here, get, When they find out that's what pinball machines do that get air balls?

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I'm not sure of the timeline, but does anyone know if it will be at TPF?

Confirmed it will not be.

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

Confirmed it will not be.

Neither is Turtles...... it seems MGC is Stern’s show now.

#169 4 years ago

TMNT is not a Stern speculation? That would be no new Sterns present??

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

But, I'd rate it only as Priests 3rd best album. For me Stained Class and Screaming for Vengeance take priority.

That's sounds about right to me.

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Painkiller is an amazing album. But, I'd rate it only as Priests 3rd best album. For me Stained Class and Screaming for Vengeance take priority.

Defenders of the Faith is in my Priest Top 3. Probably number 1 for me, personally.

Quoted from Diospinball:

And I personally don't subscribe to the Sabbath invented metal theory. They certainly were one of the brick layers for the foundation. But, its really is a bit more murky and not as cut and dried as people tend to think.

Funny thing about the Sabs and the whole metal thing. They never considered themselves a metal band, even to this day. They had such a heavy sound than set them apart from all the other bands that came out of the end of the 60s, so radio guys had to call it something. Really it was Tony having to use C tuning on his guitar because of the limited strength in his then recently-injured fingers, hence a lower sound. I'm a Sabbath die-hard, and I do like metal, but I always thought it was a bit unfair to classify them as metal and say silly things like "Paranoid" and "Symptom of the Universe" were the "first ever thrash songs." I never supported the idea to classify them as such. Not only that, but the messages in Sabbath's lyrics gets overlooked, big time. Not your typical metal stuff: "Love is life and hate is living death." Things like that. Many of their songs have very positive messages, but they also reference life's realities. Many of their songs speak to me on a different level. There are very few metal bands that could even slightly do that, and none of them can touch Sabbath.

Vol. 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - fantastic albums that get ZERO radio play. Classic rock stations wont play them, because they get lumped into the 'spooky evil metal' stuff. Boy, that Sabbath Bloody Sabbath album cover sure is scary! So classic rock wont touch it. Happens to be one of the finest rock albums of the decade and really shows the height of their talent.

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Defenders of the Faith is in my Priest Top 3. Probably number 1 for me, personally.

Funny thing about the Sabs and the whole metal thing. They never considered themselves a metal band, even to this day. They had such a heavy sound than set them apart from all the other bands that came out of the end of the 60s, so radio guys had to call it something. Really it was Tony having to use C tuning on his guitar because of the limited strength in his then recently-injured fingers, hence a lower sound. I'm a Sabbath die-hard, and I do like metal, but I always thought it was a bit unfair to classify them as metal and say silly things like "Paranoid" and "Symptom of the Universe" were the "first ever thrash songs." I never supported the idea to classify them as such. Not only that, but the messages in Sabbath's lyrics gets overlooked, big time. Not your typical metal stuff: "Love is life and hate is living death." Things like that. Many of their songs have very positive messages, but they also reference life's realities. Many of their songs speak to me on a different level. There are very few metal bands that could even slightly do that, and none of them can touch Sabbath.
    Vol. 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - fantastic albums that get ZERO radio play. Classic rock stations wont play them, because they get lumped into the 'spooky evil metal' stuff. Boy, that Sabbath Bloody Sabbath album cover sure is scary! So classic rock wont touch it. Happens to be one of the finest rock albums of the decade and really shows the height of their talent.

Defenders is a great album. But, it ends on a rather lackluster note. The title track is just not a very good song...
    But, The Sentinel is such an amazing song. SWORN TO REVENGE... CONDEMNED TO HELL... TEMPT NOT THE BLADE ALL FEAR THE SENTINEL!!!!!!!

I know i posted my top Priest albums in a prior topic... But, mine are thus: Stained Class, Screaming For Vengeance, Pain Killer, Defenders of the Faith, Firepower, and then British Steel... I know BS is 6th album... So that's my top 6 Priest albums.

And no doubt Sabbath's sound very, very, very heavily influenced Heavy Metal. But, like you I tend to think their albums had moments where a song or two might be considered Heavy Metal. But, a start to finish album. No... And that's because it wasn't really a genre yet. It was a burgeoning movement. Where things were starting to go heavier and harder.

But, not quite defined just yet. Whats funny though. And this is kind of a shame of modern music. There never use to be such separation or very strict labeling. That is something that record stores would really start to do. But, in the early days(before my time) music was just music. If a band wanted to do a heavy song, sure. They'd do one, and if they wanted to pace something a bit lighter, sure they'd do that too. A lot of albums they didn't want each song to sonically be the same. That is not so much the case anymore. People pigeonhole themselves and they stay in that very small niche.

Since my name is Diospinball. I'll use Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell. An album I consider to be a benchmark Heavy Metal album and also a perfect and complete album. Not one bad song on it.
    Starts off with Neon Knights. An uptempo fast beat song. This is to get your blood going and you in the mood to rock. Then it switches gears to the melodic, but also very, very heavy Children of the Sea(the first song that Dio wrote with Sabbath, and the song that got him into the band as he wrote it during the audition... Wrote the lyrics... Tony had the music and played it for him).
    Then its Lady Evil. A song with a little bit more of lighter groove than most Dio songs ever have had. But, its still a heavy moody song.
    Then of course the title track. Which is just beyond epic.
    And then you get Wishing Well one of the lighter songs on the album No doubt this was put in there to keep the album from being too dark and solemn. Then its right back to the darkside with Die Young. Just an amazing song. And then they go a bit on the lighter more rock n roll based walk away song. Again. I think this was done to not make the album so down in the dumps and aggressive and brutal.
    And the album ends with Lonely is the Word. A kind of hard rock/heavy metal/blues song. That kind of combines all the sonic styles on this album into this one song. Great outro solo on this, and some really nice lyrics by Dio.
    I think the album is perfectly paced, and I think that if all the songs sounded like Children of the Sea, or Heaven and Hell, it would have made the album very, very, boring. And having all the varied sonic styles only strengthened it. And made it all the heavier for it. When listened to as a whole. Its just perfectly balanced and paced. Just a real sonic treat to listen to start to finish.

And that too is something that is lost on the current generation. Listening to albums as a whole. They just cherry pick their songs, and so many hidden gems get lost because of that.

#173 4 years ago

Haha, I actually like the Defenders title track. Epic as hell and captures a rock stadium feel in the studio. Love Priest in general and probably my favorite metal band outside of Sabbath's metal years. Speaking of which, Heaven and Hell is a masterpiece. Love the Dio era. Mob Rules and Dehumanizer also. They really started to embrace the metal community going into the 80s because they were getting no love from radio and critics. A shame really. Especially because the 2 previous efforts, Technical Ecstacy and Never Say Die, are really good albums. I know I'm in the minority on that, but there are some great songs on those albums. Sure, there was tension in the band for those sessions, especially towards Ozzy, but those albums definitely dont deserve the hate they get, especially from fans, just because they didnt sound metal enough. Well...

#174 4 years ago

Not a big fan of the album but damn this song is one their best.

#175 4 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Haha, I actually like the Defenders title track. Epic as hell and captures a rock stadium feel in the studio. Love Priest in general and probably my favorite metal band outside of Sabbath's metal years. Speaking of which, Heaven and Hell is a masterpiece. Love the Dio era. Mob Rules and Dehumanizer also. They really started to embrace the metal community going into the 80s because they were getting no love from radio and critics. A shame really. Especially because the 2 previous efforts, Technical Ecstacy and Never Say Die, are really good albums. I know I'm in the minority on that, but there are some great songs on those albums. Sure, there was tension in the band for those sessions, especially towards Ozzy, but those albums definitely dont deserve the hate they get, especially from fans, just because they didnt sound metal enough. Well...

I like the concept of the Defender track. Its about Heavy Metal being a king of religion and I do agree with that concept. KK also mentions that in his autobiography. He views heavy metal in that manner as well, and I do share the same view.

And don't forget the Devil That You Know album by Heaven And Hell. Heaven and Hell was Black Sabbath Dio Era lineup. A rose by any other name, and all that jazz, but its really Black Sabbath.
    That album is a masterpiece as well. I'm glad Dio found success again at the end. Dehumanizer was an album that took my awhile to appreciate, but I love it now. Super intense and super heavy and dark album.Was a commercial success for them at the time, and sadly really was Dio's only real success in the 90s. Strange Highway's his solo album after that is also really good. Its very much in the Dehumanizer vein and while its nothing like his 80s output, I think the album is a minor masterpiece. Sure its no Holy Diver, but I wouldn't want him to just make everything sound like that album.

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Not a big fan of the album but damn this song is one their best.

That album was a bit of a let down. As Roy Z produced it, and it was in my opinion one of his few duds after a long track record of amazing albums that he produced.
    Coming off resurrection, I thought the priest album would be one of the all time greatest metal albums ever. It wasn't.

Its not a bad album. You can listen to it. Its solid start to finish. But, that's just that... Nothing grabs you, nothing makes you want to slam your fist in the air and shout HELL YEAH!!!!!

Funny enough. My favorite song on that album is Angel... Wrap your sad wings around me now...
    Not a very heavy song I know. But, I like listening to it, when I'm a bit down and sad.

#177 4 years ago

Ya'll talkin about what is metal and blah blah blah and nobody is bringing up Brendan Small?

#178 4 years ago

Priest rules!

Sabbath rules!

All that punk fuck can go to the moon

Madonna? She's a dick!

#179 4 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Ya'll talkin about what is metal and blah blah blah and nobody is bringing up Brendan Small?

Oh, he's metal AF. I'm ok with the music. I'm still a bit sore at Adult Swim for not finishing Metalocalypse.

The only problem I see is price point and general availability.

#180 4 years ago

I enjoyed watching AS , boy they had some tripped out shows leaving you angry, wtf moment, shaking your head etc.

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Priest rules!
    Sabbath rules!
    All that punk fuck can go to the moon
    Madonna? She's a dick!

fefca7f49fc5ebb998a8b846bf7f183b--hard-rock-trading-cards (resized).jpgfefca7f49fc5ebb998a8b846bf7f183b--hard-rock-trading-cards (resized).jpg
    #182 4 years ago
    Quoted from ULEKstore:

Can anyone confirm the price on the Heavy Metal pin (was it written somewhere) or is it just speculation?

I can confirm that it'll cost too much...

#183 4 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I didn't know he was behind Dethlok, thats is pretty heavy stuff and I like it. Why not just make a dethlok pin. All animated would work just fine.

#184 4 years ago

Has Stern assigned all the build numbers for the droves of eager preorder buyers yet?

#185 4 years ago

stern posted this on facebook today with the tag:

03/20/20 Heavy Metal/Incendium/Stern Pinball

88286577_10158242634324244_6325053501932044288_o (resized).jpg88286577_10158242634324244_6325053501932044288_o (resized).jpg

#186 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

stern posted this on facebook today with the tag:
    03/20/20 Heavy Metal/Incendium/Stern Pinball
    [quoted image]

Sweet Art, looks moviebased!

#187 4 years ago

I wish. It's not movie based (magazine based), none of the songs are from the movie and its red DMD. Other than that it sounds great

Quoted from fooflighter:

Sweet Art, looks moviebased!

#188 4 years ago

Looks very generic. I wish they would've gone with Serpieri, Caza, Moebius or Tamburini/Liberatore.

#189 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Has Stern assigned all the build numbers for the droves of eager preorder buyers yet?

Yes Iceman is 001

#190 4 years ago

Art looks great. And MANY callbacks to the movie. Which this thing supposedly has nothing to do with lol.

#191 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I wish. It's not movie based

You sure about that?

#192 4 years ago

Ok, so it's almost 50/50 magazines and movie. The female robot in the left bottom is a call back to the cover of HM #1. Tarna/zombie/planes/corvette/pair of locnar altars are all call backs to the movie. Then, you have random stuff like the female queen and the dragon that are clearly not part of the movie.
    Please, Stern, don't fuck this up.

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Ok, so it's almost 50/50 magazines and movie. The female robot in the left bottom is a call back to the cover of HM #1. Tarna/zombie/planes/corvette/pair of locnar altars are all call backs to the movie. Then, you have random stuff like the female queen and the dragon that are clearly not part of the movie.
    Please, Stern, don't fuck this up.

Sounds to me like ol' thatonedude is thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these!

#194 4 years ago

Artwork looks good. Real question is she packin down below?

#195 4 years ago

So does anyone know what well known music if any will be on this pin?
    Would be great if they included Black Sabbath etc...

#196 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Would be great if they included Black Sabbath etc...

It would be, instead it's Sabastian Bach

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Artwork looks good. Real question is she packin down below?

i don't think youre allowed to ask that in todays cancel culture

#198 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sounds to me like ol' thatonedude is thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these!

Unless it's a total dog of a player or priced like the Mona Lisa, yeah, I'm interested.
    And I would have an LCD topper playing loops of my favorite parts of the movie(read: the whole damned movie).

Speaking of fans, my coworker just received the French original graphic novel of "The waters of Deadmoon" which was serialized in HM in the 90s.

#199 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sako-TRG:

So does anyone know what well known music if any will be on this pin?

It's Brendon Small. If you know his work, you probably can guess what sort of music is expected. I would be surprised if they bothered with anything non-original. Bach is ok as a vocalist, given the right backing band. And Brendon is the right choice, IMO.

#200 4 years ago

I'm in for a translite if I can just buy one of those.

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heavy-metal-/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.