Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by hocuslocus
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    DF970F0B-48A5-4821-9093-7379EF17A519 (resized).jpeg
    59D2A096-9608-4122-A6FF-CF121AF44DD5 (resized).jpeg
    5A426C8D-A616-409B-9F06-0066798F16AA (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E7B991DC-734F-4E11-81E9-493FBF48507F (resized).jpeg
    9755E495-5DE4-4C9F-8426-CAB128780447 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2020-03-07 The Custom Shop Heavy Metal Gallery – classicplayfields com (resized).png
    660BAA42-5110-4A88-BA6E-0BF8B16CC54D (resized).jpeg
    hm_brazil (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200302-205412_Yahoo Mail (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1583192200326 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200301_081432_com.android.chrome[2071] (resized).jpg
    88286577_10158242634324244_6325053501932044288_o (resized).jpg
    fefca7f49fc5ebb998a8b846bf7f183b--hard-rock-trading-cards (resized).jpg
    C9E341C0-A5AF-40C6-8E0B-8305861A41A1.gif

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Supposed to be a star wars home pin reskin with coin door. We;ll see....

Thank you. I guess if there is a market for it, go for it. Though, it's too bad if this was a theme some where hoping to see made into a retail game.

#102 4 years ago

So Stern is calling these contract jobs "Signature Series" games now? I think that's new?

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So Stern is calling these contract jobs "Signature Series" games now? I think that's new?

I thought they said the same thing for Primus? It was signed by the band after all

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Because the game has nothing to do with the Heavy Metal movie. Its a generic metal music pin with artwork from heavy metal magazine.

Well shit... I changed my mind then, I don't want it... And it is still WAY over priced.

#105 4 years ago

same!

Quoted from RandyW:

Well shit... I changed my mind then, I don't want it... And it is still WAY over priced.

#106 4 years ago

what a total let down.. i almost thought this new machine was a joke..sorry is a joke.

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

i almost thought this new machine was a joke..sorry is a joke.

VICIOUS!

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm really surprised we don't have a single Heavy Metal superfan here. Not one?!

You have at least one. I own most of the magazines, from issue #1 up until the 90s, then more sporadically until today. Working on finishing the collection over time. I was keeping an eye out for the Brazilian HM game from the 80s, but I'll take one of these. Not at 8k, but I can wait until one comes up in the preowned market. No hurry, no worry.
    That being said, the first thing I wanted to do was to buy it, tear out the controller and turn it into my own version of HM.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

You have at least one. I own most of the magazines, from issue #1 up until the 90s, then more sporadically until today. Working on finishing the collection over time. I was keeping an eye out for the Brazilian HM game from the 80s, but I'll take one of these. Not at 8k, but I can wait until one comes up in the preowned market. No hurry, no worry.
    That being said, the first thing I wanted to do was to buy it, tear out the controller and turn it into my own version of HM.

Nice!

Like most here, my only exposure to Heavy Metal is the cheeky stoner movie which I have to admit I enjoy, always has me sniffing around for some Nyborg.

But what would we expect out of a pin, artwork wise? Is there any coherent storyline in these magazines or is it, like the movie, a collection of different styles and stuff?

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But what would we expect out of a pin, artwork wise? Is there any coherent storyline in these magazines or is it, like the movie, a collection of different styles and stuff?

It depends. There is no common theme to the art in the magazines. You can have hyper realistic stories next to trippy psychedelic stories and everything in between. In the movie, they basically took Richard Corben's art from the Den of Earth stories and styled the whole anthology on that, though the stories were not all Corben based. Likewise, the HM2k movie was styled upon Simon Bisley's art, though it wasn't an anthology. If you want an idea of what a HM show would look like that embraced the different art styles, watch Love, Death and Robots on netflix.
    Anyway, if the art isn't shit but the code is, I'd be up for an attempt to hack it into something better.

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

always has me sniffing around for some Nyborg

And, yeah, plutonium nyborg is pretty hard to come by, these days.

#112 4 years ago

Not my cup of tea, but I think its great that the hobby has grown so much that we get lots of new releases each year instead of just one or two.

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

If you want an idea of what a HM show would look like that embraced the different art styles, watch Love, Death and Robots on netflix.

Now that could be an interesting pin

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

I am excited for this to come out. I also think it is WAY overpriced. $8300 with a DMD??? So I will wait and buy one when I can pick it up as next to new for $3800.

I know I'm just going to add to the echo chamber. But, I am interested in this machine. I like how the star wars home pin shoots. I think its fun... The pops on just one node board to me isn't really horrible, as you might not always notice it. Sure it be better if each was on their own.

I think this is a cool theme and in some ways the price increase is justified over the star wars home. As it'll have a dmd and a coin door. Also the powder coating and other blah blah blah... Hopefully They'll add a real lockdown bar on it, even if its just sterns lock down bar.
    So I do agree they should charge more for it.

But, 8,200... Ouch. That's a premium and I don't see the code being very deep on this game. And of course it won't be getting the code updates like their other ones do.

My price(not that anyone asked or cares) would be around 6,000. Possibly 6,500. For a NIB... I would order one today at that price. But, it won't sell for that. If anything it'll sell discounted at like 7,999...

And the biggest bummer for me is. I don't see this being available secondhand. There just won't be enough people to take the NIB plunge for it to turn up enough on the secondhand market. A bummer. It's cool this game is being made. But, I think the price point is just insane.

And I really think if the trend continues. There will be a minor dieback in the pinball community. As people stated, Stern already made their money on this pin. But, it could be detrimental to future markets if we think we're just being price gauged to death. And Stern is on that path.
    To end on a positive note. I am looking forward to seeing the layout. And the dmd animations. But, it just will make me sad in the end because I will never own or play this game.

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

If Beatles with an LCD didn't move at $7999, how does this even have a chance?

Maybe Iceman will buy a few?

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I just read that the new Corvette will be available down there

Correct. Mid engine Corvette available 2021 in Australia.

Not sure through which dealers. I think GM has killed off Holden to bring in their own global brand.

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Could you recommend some of the issues/dates to check out? Thanks!

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Pop bumpers are worth 69 points in Mund Mode.
    SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE SIXXXXXXTY NIIIIIIINE
    During Baba Booey mode, the pops are with NOINE points each. NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE NOINE

And when you drain, you get to hear Robins' News theme song set full blast

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Not sure through which dealers. I think GM has killed off Holden to bring in their own global brand.

GM has killed off making Right hand drive vehicles. Not enough sales. Holden were the GM service centres. The Corvette will be converted to RHD by HSV which cost an xtra 30k to do. Not sure where or who will carry out warranty or servicing on the Corvette when it arrives. Carmero is finishing next year.

#120 4 years ago

I never got into Bach's solo albums, but his Frameshift album rocks: https://www.amazon.com/Absence-Empathy-Frameshift/dp/B000E0OASO/ref=sr_1_1

Anyone remember that vh1 reality show called Supergroup where Sebastian Bach lives and forms a band with Ted Nugent, Jason Bonham, Scott Ian and the guy from Biohazard?

supergroup (resized).jpgsupergroup (resized).jpg
    #121 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

If Beatles with an LCD didn't move at $7999, how does this even have a chance?

Not only that. But, beatles was a real pinball. With lots of drops and lots of mechs.

This has the "Passive" multiball lock. Which I actually like. But, its a simple mech. It's cool... But, this game won't have any toys.

The beatles had the drops and the spinning disc. And also real animations for the LCD. Which are more costly than the dots for the DMD.

And I think the Beatles might have cost more to license than to hire Bach and the adult swim guy. Last bit I don't know about. But, I think that is probably where most of the money went on this one.
    Just for the price... Not a whole lotta bang. More of a whimper. If this was a budget title. Then yeah. I think a lot of people would be all over this even at 6k.

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from marcus0202:

I never got into Bach's solo albums, but his Frameshift album rocks: amazon.com link »
    Anyone remember that vh1 reality show called Supergroup where Sebastian Bach lives and forms a band with Ted Nugent, Jason Bonham, Scott Ian and the guy from Biohazard?[quoted image]

Yes, and the funniest part was when they finished the song, and the guy goes, sure, it's okay, but it sounds like a song from the 80's. LMAO. I cracked up at that.

EDIT: and thanks for the Frameshift reference...how have I never heard of this? It's basically early Dream Theater with Bach as the singer...love it so far.

#123 4 years ago

"SSSTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRNNNNN!!!"

mqdefault (resized).jpgmqdefault (resized).jpg
    #124 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

GM has killed off making Right hand drive vehicles. Not enough sales. Holden were the GM service centres. The Corvette will be converted to RHD by HSV which cost an xtra 30k to do. Not sure where or who will carry out warranty or servicing on the Corvette when it arrives. Carmero is finishing next year.

GM has confirmed they are producing a right hand drive Corvette, after one was spotted being tested

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

Could you recommend some of the issues/dates to check out? Thanks!

I would have to do some digging to find the dates. Some of the memorable ones for me:
    Den of Earth
    Anything Azpiri ever even glanced at(Sept. 1993 is a good example)
    Druuna(Spring 1988 and Sept 1997 are good ones, IIRC)
    The Waters of Deadmoon(various months between 1990 and 1992, IIRC)
    Tristan Karma(one of them was in November 1991)
    Ranx(Sept. 83)

My favorite in recent years was the Vampire Requiem series. That art was amazing, and 100% not safe for work. It's extremely gory, sexual and would probably cause some people a lot of discomfort. If you like things like Hellraiser, it's great. They were in the mid 2000s.

Right now, there is a big end of the decade sale concluding at https://www.heavymetal.com/

September 1993 had some good stories. The Upturned Stone and The Mirror.

#126 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I would have to do some digging to find the dates. Some of the memorable ones for me:
    Den of Earth
    Anything Azpiri ever even glanced at(Sept. 1993 is a good example)
    Druuna(Spring 1988 and Sept 1997 are good ones, IIRC)
    The Waters of Deadmoon(various months between 1990 and 1992, IIRC)
    Tristan Karma(one of them was in November 1991)
    Ranx(Sept. 83)
    My favorite in recent years was the Vampire Requiem series. That art was amazing, and 100% not safe for work. It's extremely gory, sexual and would probably cause some people a lot of discomfort. If you like things like Hellraiser, it's great. They were in the mid 2000s.
    Right now, there is a big end of the decade sale concluding at https://www.heavymetal.com/
    September 1993 had some good stories. The Upturned Stone and The Mirror.

Right on - thanks!

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from fooflighter:

And when you drain, you get to hear Robins' News theme song set full blast

Don’t forget Captain Sack Multiball!

#128 4 years ago

This just may be Stern’s best release of 2020.

#129 4 years ago

A home version, stripped down pinball. And some of you say "maybe $6K, but not $8K.."

It has become a hobby of relative prices. Many have become numb to the massive inflation in this hobby.

This game is maybe $4K, no more.

And that, to me, is a stretch. But then again, I think $12 for a combo meal at McDonalds is ridiculous, so you draw your own conclusions.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Thanks for the update, that is us out for one then.

We are never buying a converted Left hand drive to Right hand driver ever again.

#131 4 years ago

How did Australia get so lucky as to quit GM and their shit vehicles?

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

A home version, stripped down pinball. And some of you say "maybe $6K, but not $8K.."
    It has become a hobby of relative prices. Many have become numb to the massive inflation in this hobby.
    This game is maybe $4K, no more.
    And that, to me, is a stretch. But then again, I think $12 for a combo meal at McDonalds is ridiculous, so you draw your own conclusions.

I think it depends on how many custom songs... If its just one or two... Okay...
    And I would love for this to be 4k. As I agree with you that its way overpriced. In fact I think the Star Wars home pin at 4k is overpriced and should be 3k.
    But, we can wish and want all we'd like.

One last note about the fast food combo prices. It use to be fast food was cheaper than eating at a diner. Now it costs the same if not sometimes more. Sure you get your food quicker... Is that a good thing. I don't think so. I'll take a bit higher quality at the diner then fast food any day of the week. There is a place called Doggie Diner. A few of them in IL. Really like their hot dog special. Fair price and really good dogs. Nothing special, but they make them the right way. The way dirty harry would approve.

#133 4 years ago

I just resubscribed to Heavy Metal about a year ago after a long fall out. I used to have a bunch of back issues of course I sold em long ago, slowly getting back into it.
    I always liked The Keepers Of The Master Series, The Waters Of Deadmoon, Ranxerox

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

no

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Of course it is. Somewhere out there, 100 huge Heavy Metal fans are going to be very happy. I'm sure the artwork is gonna be really cool.
    I'm really surprised we don't have a single Heavy Metal superfan here. Not one?!

Love the theme, I am a Heavy Metal magazine fan and a subscriber in the 90's. Also have an original 1-sheet movie poster. I am sure the art will look great, but even I am sitting this one out, Star Wars "the Pin" reskin. no thanks. Stern thinks this will be another Supreme on their hands....with the frenzy. If Stern would have reused the Supreme/spidey layout I would have considered.

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Would be if it was a fresh full design with actual uncensored Heavy Metal artwork and music with a LCD.
    I can already imagine what the topper would be! Put me down for a Heavy Metal LE !!!

#137 4 years ago

Pinball and Heavy Metal Magazine; my two favorite things in life (the wife and kids are a close 3rd) (jk). I was very surprised to see this news out of the blue. I was ecstatic. I've always wanted to bite the bullet on buying my first machine, and this has me wanting one more then ever! Then I heard it would be just a re-skin, and I got a little less excited. Then I heard it would be a very limited run, and got less hopeful. Then I saw the flyer, and saw the Taarna and other artwork, and got slightly less excited (I was hoping to see more surreal art or Moebius / Royo / Druillet style artwork). But at least it's not total gratuitous pin-up. Then I saw the musicians and got a little worried about the soundtrack. Then I saw the price, and my hope of owning this dropped to zero. But that being said, I'm still very surprised about this announcement, and if I had a spare $8k kicking around, I'd pick this up in a heartbeat. I can't wait to see more details!

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

If Stern would have reused the Supreme/spidey layout I would have considered.

Aren't all "The Pin" layouts the same? SW/Supreme/SM...I thought they were all the same thing with tiny variations?

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

I think it depends on how many custom songs... If its just one or two... Okay...
    And I would love for this to be 4k. As I agree with you that its way overpriced. In fact I think the Star Wars home pin at 4k is overpriced and should be 3k.
    But, we can wish and want all we'd like.
    One last note about the fast food combo prices. It use to be fast food was cheaper than eating at a diner. Now it costs the same if not sometimes more. Sure you get your food quicker... Is that a good thing. I don't think so. I'll take a bit higher quality at the diner then fast food any day of the week. There is a place called Doggie Diner. A few of them in IL. Really like their hot dog special. Fair price and really good dogs. Nothing special, but they make them the right way. The way dirty harry would approve.

No kidding on the fast food front. It used to be a choice between fast and cheap vs quality now it's just fast vs quality. A pretty easy choice 99% of the time.

Anyway, the pin is obviously overpriced compared to what the average pinsider is considering -- but in pinball, theme is the mind-killer and there's a chance that between 50 and 100 people love the theme so much they're willing to pay a lot for a pretty okay machine with their dream theme.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Maybe Not they said they were pulling out of RHD cars Globally. not sure if HSV will be converting to RHD or not or even who will be selling them here

Nobody knows yet a real klusta Fiok

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from aingide:

Aren't all "The Pin" layouts the same? SW/Supreme/SM...I thought they were all the same thing with tiny variations?

No. Different layouts.

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Love the theme, I am a Heavy Metal magazine fan and a subscriber in the 90's. Also have an original 1-sheet movie poster. I am sure the art will look great, but even I am sitting this one out, Star Wars "the Pin" reskin. no thanks. Stern thinks this will be another Supreme on their hands....with the frenzy. If Stern would have reused the Supreme/spidey layout I would have considered.

The real question is has Iceman ordered one already or will he be sitting this one out?

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from aingide:

They share many of the same aspects but slightly different.

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from aingide:

DDB8E3B5-0E20-4DBD-A42D-DE59EA90F163 (resized).jpegDDB8E3B5-0E20-4DBD-A42D-DE59EA90F163 (resized).jpegF25F4CA2-89A2-44D8-A114-7BA8C36C50E1 (resized).jpegF25F4CA2-89A2-44D8-A114-7BA8C36C50E1 (resized).jpeg2F8C18F8-6A38-45B8-96DA-113E574174C1 (resized).png2F8C18F8-6A38-45B8-96DA-113E574174C1 (resized).png
    #145 4 years ago

In similar news, the supreme oreos are up on ebay for $10k.....craziness.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from L0STB0Y:

(I was hoping to see more surreal art or Moebius / Royo / Druillet style artwork)

Preach!

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

In similar news, the supreme oreos are up on ebay for $10k.....craziness.

That's ridiculous!

It's just an Oreo reskin.

Don't people realize that for $10K, they could get some fresh baked Mrs. Fields cookies at the mall? Or several pallets of far superior Tate's chocolate chip cookies?

yeah, I know Oreo is going to sell these cookies to supreme idiots, and I know regular Oreos-eaters aren't the intended market here, but what about the damage it is doing long-term to their brand? Consumers will only put up with so much!!!

That being said, I may buy some Supreme oreo cookies. I like the taste of classic Oreos and the new Supreme red look is frankly amazing. But I'm gonna wait till they get down to around $6k!

#148 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's ridiculous!
    It's just an Oreo reskin.
    Don't people realize that for $10K, they could get some fresh baked Mrs. Fields cookies at the mall? Or several crates of far superior Tate's chocolate chip cookies?
    yeah, I know Oreo is going to sell these cookies to supreme idiots, but what about the damage it is doing long-term to their brand? Consumers will only put up with so much!!!
    That being said, I may buy some Supreme oreo cookies. I like the taste of classic Oreos and the new Supreme red look is frankly amazing. But I'm gonna wait till they get down to around $6k!

Yes, get a gently-used HUO Oreo on the secondary market.

But, be sure to avoid any Oreos that have been previously routed - that would be bad.

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yes, get a gently-used HUO Oreo on the secondary market.
    But, be sure to avoid any Oreos that have been previously routed - that would be bad.

What kinda dimples are on these HUO Oreos? I hope Nabisco has their shit sorted out with their quality issues... One of my cookies arrived chipped last week.

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

What kinda dimples are on these HUO Oreos? I hope Nabisco has their shit sorted out with their quality issues... One of my cookies arrived chipped last week.

Yes, I got a double-stuff Oreo that only had one and a half stuff. Their QC has gone to crap.

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heavy-metal-/page/3?hl=slightlysnaked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.