• Latest reply 7 years ago by MT45
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160712_074223_(resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

See video. TAF keeps repeating a "heavy breathing", "exclamation", "yelp" ... not sure what to call it.

Sounds occur during game play and in the middle of normal call outs/sounds. "FREE PLAY" shows up on DMD when they are occuring

I've pulled the sound board, checked all connectors. Pulled sound chips and re-installed ... stumped.

#2 7 years ago

Those sounds are usually triggered by various switches on the playfield--mostly the pop bumpers. Go through a switch matrix test and see if any switches are stuck closed.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks. Now that you mention it, those are the pop sounds ... I checked all switches and all were open. Banged on cabinet during each to test.

I did not see where there was an option to check the pop switch/spoons for open/closed.

I'm guessing I just need to tilt up the playfield and check to see how sensitive those pop stack switches are set?

I'm struggling to nderstand why the words "free play" are showing up with these sounds?

#4 7 years ago

Wild guess but it's not the credit switches triggered (closed/shorted) is it? Edit: Watching again no it isn't.

#5 7 years ago

Go into switch test should let you test them though.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Thanks. Now that you mention it, those are the pop sounds ... I checked all switches and all were open. Banged on cabinet during each to test.
I did not see where there was an option to check the pop switch/spoons for open/closed.
I'm guessing I just need to tilt up the playfield and check to see how sensitive those pop stack switches are set?
I'm struggling to nderstand why the words "free play" are showing up with these sounds?

Each pop bumper has two switches in the stack--a solenoid switch and scoring switch.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers#post-486047

[edit]: WPC games only has a single switch. Sys 11 games have the double stacked switch.

#7 7 years ago

Checked credit button and checked out fine. I might try wiggling the wires on it tomorrow. Thanks or all the help so far ... I'll eventually get it sorted

#8 7 years ago

You have one or more oversensitive/misadjusted pop bumper switches, or a shorted switch matrix.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#9 7 years ago

Did you check your batteries on the MPU? The switch matrix resistors and chips are directly below the batteries and if they leak, that can cause odd behavior.

#10 7 years ago

I believe it also makes this sound when you drop quarters in the coin slots when not on free play.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from rawbars:

I believe it also makes this sound when you drop quarters in the coin slots when not on free play.

I agree with this. Maybe a coin slot switch issue. Sometimes those wires get bent up on the end of the coin mechs. If it thinks a quarter was dropped, it's telling you "hey I'm on free play"

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Each pop bumper has two switches in the stack--a solenoid switch and scoring switch.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers#post-486047

That applies to system 11 games and older, WPC games use a single switch. I agree to check the coin switches and wiring, the free play message is appearing to remind the player he is wasting money. Enter switch levels test and see if it appears in the list.

#13 7 years ago

Take this thing to the ER immediately! Heavy breathing like that is a sure sign of heart failure!

(Agree with checking switches

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

That applies to system 11 games and older, WPC games use a single switch.

Yep, you're right. I haven't been under the hood often enough on a WPC game to quite remember which way it was.

#15 7 years ago

Shorted/stuck coin switch or wires. Easy fix. Funny problem description

#16 7 years ago

Thanks all for the excellent advice. It WAS the coin door wiring. Not at door but on CPU board. Broken traces that feed J205(2). I reflowed solder on several pins on the board and it's about 90% better, need to finish it up tonight by chasing every connection to 205 on that board. Thanks again, so nice to play this with proper call outs!

205 is lower left
1 = first piece I reflowed
2 = next piece
3 = U17, pin 7 that I did not yet reflow

Have not traced where 205 goes from there20160712_074223_(resized).jpg20160712_074223_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
26,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Electronics
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball
Rubber/Silicone
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heavy-breathing-taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.