Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pinwalk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1142 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1143 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hi! Have a Williams Heat Wave with scoring reel issue. On the 1,000 point reel, if when game over and reel shows a '1' or '2', reel will not reset to 0 when button pushed for new game. You can hear the machine attempting a reset, but nothing happens. Other reels work fine.

Coil/plunger for 1,000 point reel feels free and moves easily. Contacts have been cleaned several times, and appear to have good contact with each other.

Have manually set 1000 point reel to all numbers 1-9, started a new game. Reel will not reset when on '1' or '2'. Other wise works great.

Any ideas?

#2 4 years ago

Its the switches make sure they open when there supposed to and close when there supposed to.
    Raff

#3 4 years ago

Raff is correct; the '0' pos. sw. needs adjustment. Read more: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

#4 4 years ago

While it is at "1" or "2" does the score motor continue to run or does it stop the reset sequence?

If the reset sequence stops (machine is satisfied that all reels are at zero) then check the zero position switch as suggested above.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

While it is at "1" or "2" does the score motor continue to run or does it stop the reset sequence?
    If the reset sequence stops (machine is satisfied that all reels are at zero) then check the zero position switch as suggested above.

score motor continues to run and tries to reset to zero when reel in either 1 or 2 position

#6 4 years ago

Do you see evidence that it is trying to reset while the reel is in that position? Any action on the plunger of the reel as the score motor pulses the reset relay?

I'll check my schematic when I get home (I also have a Heat Wave).

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Do you see evidence that it is trying to reset while the reel is in that position? Any action on the plunger of the reel as the score motor pulses the reset relay?
    I'll check my schematic when I get home (I also have a Heat Wave).

Step by step recap- game score at 1,000. turn game on, push button for new game. motor tries to reset reel, reel does not move. Went around back of game, no visible movement on coil plunger for that reel. Manually pushed in plunger once, reel moved to '2', other than motor continuing to run, nothing else happened. Manually pushed in plunger again, reel now on '3', plunger moved on its own, reset reel to '0', motor stopped, ready for new game.
    Repeated process, this time when plunger started moving reel on its own (from '3'), plunger/reel stopped at '8' for 2-3 seconds, motor kept running, then plunger started again, moving reel to '0', motor stopped, ready for new player.

#8 4 years ago

Have you disassembled, cleaned, lubricated (teflon supergel) and reassembled this reel? I have found that it can get "stuck" at certain positions due to overtension or being gunked up. Sounds like this might be happening here.

Any issue with the reel advancing during scoring? If not, you might want to check the switches in the reset path to make sure they are clean & gapped correctly.

#9 4 years ago

I have taken out the reel assembly and cleaned it/dry lubed it (teflon), but have not disassembled and cleaned throughly.....frankly that intimidates me a little.
    No issues with any reel advancing during game scoring..... I did watch contact switches at reel (when it turned to reset) see pic one, and score reset relay switches, see pic two, they seemed to be making contact correctly. Again it is only the 1000 point reel that is giving me any issues.

The score reset relay switches are the ones that continue to close and open while the 1000 point reel does not turn.

IMG_1142 (resized).jpgIMG_1142 (resized).jpgIMG_1143 (resized).jpgIMG_1143 (resized).jpg
    #10 4 years ago

Looking at the schematic.... clean and make sure the contacts are well secured to the switch blades on the score reset relay and the zero switch on the score reel. Power is supplied to the solenoid through that path. On the score reset relay it is wire color black-green and the zero switch is black-green / orange-grey.

You may also jumper from the orange-grey on the coil to yellow on the score reset relay to test the unit. Connect an alligator clip to the orange-grey wire on the coil and tap on the yellow wire on the score reset relay. See if the unit advances cleanly or if it is still sluggish at some numbers which would indicate a mechanical issue. Just tried this on my own machine -- steps verified!

#11 4 years ago

Switch positions should be
    0 position all switches open.
    1-8 position top and middle switch closed bottom switch opened.
    9th position all switches closed.
    Raff

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Looking at the schematic.... clean and make sure the contacts are well secured to the switch blades on the score reset relay and the zero switch on the score reel. Power is supplied to the solenoid through that path. On the score reset relay it is wire color black-green and the zero switch is black-green / orange-grey.
    You may also jumper from the orange-grey on the coil to yellow on the score reset relay to test the unit. Connect an alligator clip to the orange-grey wire on the coil and tap on the yellow wire on the score reset relay. See if the unit advances cleanly or if it is still sluggish at some numbers which would indicate a mechanical issue. Just tried this on my own machine -- steps verified!

will do, thanks. replacing driver board on my Roller Disco tomorrow/Thursday, but will let you know results asap.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Raff:

Switch positions should be
    0 position all switches open.
    1-8 position top and middle switch closed bottom switch opened.
    9th position all switches closed.
    Raff

thank you, will double check positions!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heat-wave-em-score-reel-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.