Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Lermods
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170712_174539 (resized).jpg
    20170712_174542 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3072 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3066 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3071 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3070 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3719 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

I was traveling on business recently, and had a free night. Based on others mentioning this place, I decided to give it a try. WOW, just wow.

The place is really cool, even without the games, great bar, decor, music, etc... They had a dozen or so pins and all sorts of classic arcade games. The insane thing is all the games are free (with the exception one PIN, Aerosmith, and bubble hockey). The pins were in outstanding shape, as were the classic arcade games. There were signs on every game that instructed to "notify a staff member immediately if anything is not working", and I saw a staffer handle a pin issue on the spot, so they clearly care about game quality.

The lineup of pins was excellent. In addition to Aerosmith, they had Pinbot and Bride of Pinbot. Ghostbuster,Kiss, Addams Family, AC/DC, GOT, Monster Bash, Pirates of Caribbean, Metallica), and I am missing a few, but as you can see a terrific lineup. This was the first time I got to play Monster Bash, so that was great fun.

On the arcade game front, the two player fighting games, and NBA Jam were getting tons of play. I buzzed around and played games I grew up with like Frogger, Defender, Asteroids, Tempest, Galaga, Donkey Kong, PacMan. It was awesome to have so many old school video games in one place, all playing perfectly.

Anyone who lives near this place is lucky to have it close to home, and I highly recommend this for anyone traveling to Chicago.

#2 7 years ago

my family was there right before new years......great place......had several appetizers and drinks.........everyone had a awesome time......will definitely be there again on next trip to chicago

#3 7 years ago

WOW I didn't know that Headquarter's games were set on free play. I chose Logan Arcade over them to be able to play both AS and BM66. Ended up dropping like $40 into Logan's machines that night... Will have to check out headquarters next time I'm up there.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words! Did you get a chance to make it down stairs as well? Next time your in town please send me a pm, If I am around I can take care of a few beers for you.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Thanks for the kind words! Did you get a chance to make it down stairs as well? Next time your in town please send me a pm, If I am around I can take care of a few beers for you.

I didn't know of a downstairs, I walked in the front, was greeted by a nice front door guy, and I walked up just a few steps to the main floor and bar, pins were to the left.

Now I have to ask - what is downstairs?

#6 7 years ago

There are another 8-10 pins and 20-25 arcade games down there. The part that kinda sucks is we only have that open, Thursday through Saturday so depending on when you come it may not be open.

#7 7 years ago

inhomearcades, back a few years ago the original headquarters had a Circus Voltaire and TOTAN, which I haven't seen since. Where these your games, and if so any plans to ever put them back sometime?

#8 7 years ago

Looking forward to the Nashville location opening in a few weeks.

#9 7 years ago

inhomearcades takes care of his games. Great place to play in Chicago, probably my favorite with Logan right behind!

#10 7 years ago

Last time I was there they had the big ass four player Tecmo Bowl downstairs. Love that game!

#11 7 years ago

I was there over St Patricks day and they had Dialed in on freeplay. Also the skeeball downstairs is a blast with a drunk group of friends.

#12 7 years ago

I met that inhomearcades dude a couple weeks ago. He sold my uncle a Hobbit and my buddy a GOT. Real class act, hes totally livin' the dream!

#13 7 years ago

Guess I know where I'll be pre and post Maiden June 15th.

#14 7 years ago

Sounds rad!! Thanks for sharing ramsfan !

#15 7 years ago

Went to Logan after show last year. Was so freakin cool. Will hit both this year.

#16 7 years ago

I been there. It's awesome!!

#17 7 years ago

Since they have 2 locations,which location is it? Lakeview or River North

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from ILovePinball:

Since they have 2 locations,which location is it? Lakeview or River North

I went to River North. I am not certain, but I believe Lakeview is temporarily closed or in process of relocating.

#19 7 years ago

Lakeview is no longer headquarters.

Headquarters will have a location in Nashville open pretty soon I believe too.

#20 7 years ago

Seconded, OP. Headquarters is awesome! Free games, great food and cocktails. Awesome vibe without being too hipstery, and I like their featured beer list. They're written on these hand-cranked paper scrolls that the staff turn when changing the beer selection.

-Doug

#21 7 years ago

I'll be in Rosement, IL this week. Was going to hit Logan's twice but it sounds like this place is worth the visit. So Thursday's has an additional 20 pins? Is there a list somewhere?

#22 7 years ago

Just got back from Nashville. Awesome city. Lots of fun. I tried to hit up headquarters but it wasn't quite ready yet. I did however get a picture with the sign. Hopefully next time I go back I will get to check it out.

IMG_3719 (resized).JPGIMG_3719 (resized).JPG

#23 7 years ago

Every time I make it to Chicago (once or twice a year), I always hit up Headquarters...I agree that it's a great atmosphere too, and the pins are very clean and well-kept. There is a bit of a rotation too...I've seen a few different pins in there each time I make it there. Quality place...and a must visit for a pinhead (or old school arcade gamer)

2 months later
    #24 6 years ago

Wow I didn't realize this thread was still going. Thank you for all the kind words everyone. If anyone has any complaints or suggestions please let me know. I am all ears. We will try to continue to swap games in and out to keep things fresh. We have been pretty busy with Nashville and we have found location for the lakeview relocation. We are hoping to have the second Chicago location reopened this fall.

1 week later
    #25 6 years ago

Hi All - i went to HQ Beercade again tonight, and I couldn't be more impressed with this place. Newer rotation of pins, all in great shape. Got to play a sweet AFM, LOTR, Ironman, TAF, POC, and an older Eight ball, Met, etc... also played many older video games, Frogger, Pole Position, Donkey Kong.

Owner here Jordan was super gracious, and gave me a quick tour of games in the basement. Lots of rare games, and a skeeball. He said the basement is open Thursday-Saturday.

If you are looking for a great place to have some fun, this is it

#26 6 years ago

I too stopped at the HQ when I was in Chicago earlier this year. Even my wife had fun!

IMG_3070 (resized).JPGIMG_3070 (resized).JPG

IMG_3071 (resized).JPGIMG_3071 (resized).JPG

IMG_3066 (resized).JPGIMG_3066 (resized).JPG

IMG_3072 (resized).JPGIMG_3072 (resized).JPG

#27 6 years ago

While I agree with everyone that the place is nice overall, I can't hear the pin I am playing cause the music is too loud. Also, usually about half the pins upstairs have some type of issue which are noticeable enough to make the game no fun due to features not working right. I have been there a few times last couple years and the situation I describe was the case every time I went. Unfortunate because the games are always clean but I'd guess the free play angle takes a toll on them. Oh and parking can be challenging around there.

That's just my take on the place, your mileage may vary.

#28 6 years ago

I'll be there tonight, in Chicago for business today.

#29 6 years ago

I travel to Chicago frequently and always stop by HQ, it's a great place. I used to live near the one in Lakeview but I hear it is relocating, I wonder where it is going? I really liked the old place.

#30 6 years ago

Only game that sucked when I was there was the T2. It needed some love. The other games played well enough for location games setup on free play that are constantly getting played. Totally agree on the volume level issue, AC/DC isn't much fun when you can't hear it.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Al:

While I agree with everyone that the place is nice overall, I can't hear the pin I am playing cause the music is too loud. Also, usually about half the pins upstairs have some type of issue which are noticeable enough to make the game no fun due to features not working right. I have been there a few times last couple years and the situation I describe was the case every time I went. Unfortunate because the games are always clean but I'd guess the free play angle takes a toll on them. Oh and parking can be challenging around there.
    That's just my take on the place, your mileage may vary.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the games. If you ever notice a game isn't working properly please let a staff member know. Chances are a tech will open the game up right then and take care of the issue. As for the music, I agree. Its tough to play and enjoy pins when you can't necessarily hear them. Friday and Saturday the music gets turned up and even Thursdays at times. The reality is that although we have a lot of pin players, the majority of our customer base isn't there to play the pins on a Friday-Saturday night. During the day or other week nights I think you will find the music is at a more tolerable level. Thanks for the heads up on the pins and again please let a staff member know if you don't mind when your in any of the issues you find.

#32 6 years ago

Games there played well tonight. Only games I didn't like we're X-Men and mustang. Mustang was unplayable because it was so dark, X-Men similar. I hate the moving ramp on X-Men, gets in the way. Pro is a better game. Got my name on iron man with 31 mil and WrestleMania, which I find to be a terrible game. A few color dmds installed. No more chicken and waffles...wtf? That needs to be fixed.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Games there played well tonight. Only games I didn't like we're X-Men and mustang. Mustang was unplayable because it was so dark, X-Men similar. I hate the moving ramp on X-Men, gets in the way. Pro is a better game. Got my name on iron man with 31 mil and WrestleMania, which I find to be a terrible game. A few color dmds installed. No more chicken and waffles...wtf? That needs to be fixed.

You have to let me know next time you're in Chicago and I'll meet you for pinball at Headquarters and then get you a tour of the Two Brothers Brewery followed by Pinball Beer consumption.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

You have to let me know next time you're in Chicago and I'll meet you for pinball at Headquarters and then get you a tour of the Two Brothers Brewery followed by Pinball Beer consumption.

Crap, I didn't know you were that close. I am in town for literally hours, arrived yesterday morning out at 1 today. I'm here occasionally for work so next time I'll get in touch.

20170712_174542 (resized).jpg20170712_174542 (resized).jpg

20170712_174539 (resized).jpg20170712_174539 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/headquarters-beercade-chicago-awesome?hl=beyndtstng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.