6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DNO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should headphones be allowed during competitive / league play?”

• Yes, I need them to concentrate 3 votes
      14%
    • Don't really care. Doesn't affect my game 12 votes
      57%
    • Gives a bit of an unfair advantage, but whatever 2 votes
      10%
    • Ban headphones. Everyone should be "level" 4 votes
      19%

(21 votes)

#1 6 years ago

When I was in league, a few people used to use headphones while playing. While watching the Stern Pro Circuit stream I noticed there seems to be more and more people utilizing headphones / listening to their own music during competitive play.

For those that use them, what is your primary reason? For those that don't, does it bother you that some people do? Do you think it gives an unfair advantage? Even though you can use them too, do you fell the need to experience "pure" pinball an ultimately opt not to use them?

Would love to hear other people opion on this.

#2 6 years ago

I think it just helps people zone out and concentrate while playing. At the end of the day i dont see how it hurts. They are still playing by the rules. Personally, i rather hear all the pins sounds (callouts, music etc) to get me into the game.

#3 6 years ago

I tried them and it was a fail for me.

I’m such a music guy that I listened to the music too much and forgot to watch the ball. Hahaha

However I know plenty of people who use them with great success.

rd

#4 6 years ago

I'd like to try noise cancelling headphones

I try to imagine what those are listening to who use audio, whale songs, pinball motivational tapes maybe even Polka

#5 6 years ago

Good topic!
    I use headphones in tournaments, but not always, I will put them on or off sometimes to try to change things up.
    I also like the fact that if you are wearing headphones during an event or finals, people (usually) won't talk to you, allowing me to concentrate more on the task at hand. (Without telling folks I don't want to talk to them, seeming rude)
    It also can stop me from overhearing things people might be saying behind me when I am playing, and seems help me not become nervous when doing well.
    I don't really crank the volume, so I can hear games when they are turned up.
    Sometimes you can't hear anything from the machine in a tourney anyway.
    If they were disallowed, I say at least the machines should be able to be heard, and spectators should be quieted during play.
    That would seem odd. (The spectator part)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/headphones-in-competitive-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.