Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by lllvjr
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

door.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    buck.jpeg
    IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0927.jpg

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

I'm looking to add one of the 2 known available headphone jack offerings to a Stern SAM System "FGY" game that I will be getting. I like the adult humor but have a 5 yr old that it would not be appropriate for.

Anyway there seems to be 2 players Pinovators http://pinnovators.com/ and Buckwerx Pinball available here: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2708. I did play a T3 at the Allentown show with the Pinovator jack installed and it sounded fantastic. Can someone that has installed the Buckwerk product in a Stern Sam system game give some feedback? Also the Buckwerx product is less than half the cost of the Pinovators product, hence my indecision.

#2 11 years ago

I like the price of the Buckwerx but the looks of the Pinnovators one...so I have still not bought one haah..

There have been other threads on the buckwerx one if you wanna read some reviews on them...

#3 11 years ago

please email me directly for a pricing at [email protected]...we will be doing a sale shortly and i can give you that pricing now if you are interested. Now that everything seems to be set for jersey jack pinball and the woz we are also finally getting back into some new product for pinnovators....thanks, Lorenzo

#4 11 years ago

Lorenzo email sent!

Thanks

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

Lorenzo email sent!
    Thanks

Ditto...

#6 11 years ago

Does anyone have any pictures of a pinnovators style one? I'd like to see a pic of it from the front, installed on a machine.

#7 11 years ago

Their 'flyer' on their website has a picture of it installed.

http://pinnovators.com/templates/beez_20/images/downloads/flyerPP1.pdf

#8 11 years ago

this is a close up of the custom made plate we use

IMG_0927.jpgIMG_0927.jpg

#9 11 years ago

we have them power coated do the paint is very durrable

#11 11 years ago

installed picture from players view

IMG_0932.JPGIMG_0932.JPG

#12 11 years ago

Yep looks SOOOO much better than the buckwerx one IMO...looks factory even...

sold...

Gonna fire a set into my BSD and see how it sounds Good excuse to use my new headphones I got for Christmas

#13 11 years ago

I'm going to be doing this too. The Pinnovator looks great installed. Anyone of a pic of the Buckwertz model installed?

#14 11 years ago

Found one of the buckwerx online...

buck.jpegbuck.jpeg

3 months later
    #15 10 years ago

I just ordered two of these from pinnovators... I like the looks of it better. I like a nice 'clean' look and don't need anything that points out to 'audio' or 'Volume'... or any 'Brand' name... listed on the plate itself.

Of course I have not recieved them yet so we shall see........ awaiting to hear the quality....

Linda

#16 10 years ago

I have the buckwerx on my AC/DC and my Twilight Zone.
    The both sound great.
    Do not however, use metal headphones with these jacks.
    My son had a pair of metal Beats Headphones and if you have carpet and static electricity, it is a very bad combination. Blew my sound board on my AC/DC.
    We have since switched to plastic outer shell headphones and have had no problems since.
    I'm sure the pinovator's jacks are just a susceptible to this as well.
    However, that being said, we love the headphones and use them all the time.
    They really allow you to hear things in the game you never knew were there.
    I would have some on my Addams Family as well but my coin door has no bill acceptor slot.

#17 10 years ago

Hi arcade, the Pinnovators headphone kits have a ground wire built in to prevent static discharge damage. I'm not sure if the buckwerxs kit has that but I strongly suggest connecting it if it does. I personally love the dr Dre beats pro headphones and have been using multiple pairs for demonstration at shows and homes. Many good brands are out there but over ear style is the best for our application.

As for your Addams family, Pinnovators now sells a exterior kit for your game with no dollar bill acceptor slot. This kit will cover early games like fun house, white water, bride of pinbot, high speed 2, terminator 2, or any wms/Bally and stern export game.
    Please check out our website Pinnovators.com for info on all three style kits which are in stock.
    Also please check out Facebook.com/Pinnovators to see more pictures and info.
    We will soon have installation videos posted as well. Below is a picture of our ground wire built into our PinPac 1 and PinPac 2 kits.
    Thanks,
    Lorenzo
    Pinnovators.com

image.jpgimage.jpg

#18 10 years ago

I've got the Buckwerx on a Stern and a Williams. I opted for these at the time because there was a more substantial price difference a year ago (it seems like they're only $30 less than Pinnovators now), and I only needed headphones occasionally for late nights to not bug the neighbors. The Buckwerx adapter doesn't provide the amazing bass that my external subwoofer does, but they are more than adequate for my needs. If I had a music intensive game I might go for the Pinnovators option.

Also, there was a problem with one of my orders, and the guys at Buckwerx provided immediate and outstanding customer service to fix the issue.

#19 10 years ago

whats the sound quality like with headphones? It seems like pinball sound is not very good, and listening in headphones would only augment the deficiencies?

#20 10 years ago

Headphones on stern acdc, iron man, tron, ect are great.. I've been told the audio files used on Lotr isn't that great. Wms Bally games the call outs are much more apparent and help u focus on your play. The headphone kits are more geared toward focusing you on ur play, but now with the quality of the sound tracks from movies and explosions you hear things u didn't notice with out them.

#21 10 years ago

Our current three kit line up at
    Pinnovators.com

image.jpgimage.jpg

#22 10 years ago

Few people have emailed me about this. The switch in the middle is a mute button feature. The headphone jack is live at all times, if u decide you want to kill all the speakers on the machine the switch allows you to do so. If people are watching you can allow them to hear you play while you stay focused with no distraction... I would like to put these kits on the tournament games at Allentown so ill chat with Ivan and see what we can do!

#23 10 years ago

You CAN add a switch to the Buckwerx, but it requires some soldering to do. I wish I had known about the Pinnovators a few months ago. Got a baby on the way and am trying to add headphones to all my machines. Trying to figure out which way to go on my new X-Men Pro. Buckwerx or Pinnovators...

#24 10 years ago

Based on user feedback, Buckwerx' Gen 2 release headphones (which as been shipping since the first of January) now have two internal jumper plugs to enable the speakers to be "on" while the headphones are plugged in. These are easily switched by opening the coin door. Gen 1 units can be user upgraded to allow this functionality.

#25 10 years ago

Nate, I think you are one of the Buckwerx guys. I emailed you a couple comments/questions.

#26 10 years ago

I have the Buckwerx kits on SM, AFM, and Congo...They work just fine for my application. I added a connector to the backside of the board instead of doing the soldering, that allows you to plug in the connector and only hear sound through headphones...or unplug the connector and hear sounds through both the headphones and the game speakers. That way if you don't want to disturb anyone, you plug in the connector, but if you want to be able to concentrate and still allow others to hear the game sounds you can unplug it. They work great IMO. The guys even sent me a coin door plate early so I could paint it to match my SM custom coindoor...so no issues with me not liking the way the plate looks. Just paint it to match whatever game you have it installed in and no issues!

Phoebe

#27 10 years ago

We are doing custom gold and chrome plated kits for customers as well
    Thanks,
    Lorenzo
    Pinnovators.com

// Error: Image 91336 not found // image.jpgimage.jpg

#28 10 years ago

I am soooo.... looking forward to getting my headphone jacks mod... I like the idea of it looking like the game was built with it already. I like the idea of being able to turn on/off the games internal speakers with a flip of a switch... The only thing I would like would be that the jack be 1/4" since that is what my husbands studio headphones are.... He says the adapters would stick out to far and the kids would break it off I am afraid....

But Pinnovators sold me an adapter that is 'right angled' and will fit the 1/4" plug from his headphones...

This should be awesome... but we shall see...

I will share my experience when they arrive..

Linda

#29 10 years ago

You are going to love the sound Linda.
    I have owned my Twilight Zone forever and after I hooked up the headphone jack I have heard things I never knew were in the game.
    And On AC/DC it really helps me hear things like Steve cursing at you as you hit the targets on the lower playfield.
    Just tons of little nuances that you never knew were there before suddenly jump out.

#30 10 years ago

Looks like a truly awesome product. Can't wait to give it a shot.

#31 10 years ago

Now I am curious how difficult this will be to install. My husband works with electronics all the time but after reading someone shorting out thier soundboard I am concerned...

How difficult is it to mount the pinnovators... doesn't look like much to mount on the front door but what about wiring to the rest of the machine. I will die if he shorts out something on a brand new machine that hasn't even arrived yet.....

Oh yeah, UPDATE: Trent said the machines are on the truck and should arrive tommorrow (Wednesday)! YEAH!

And pinnovators already shipped the 2 headphone jacks... probably will arrive at the same time...

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from LindaN:

How difficult is it to mount the pinnovators... doesn't look like much to mount on the front door but what about wiring to the rest of the machine. I will die if he shorts out something on a brand new machine that hasn't even arrived yet.....

It couldn't be more simple or dummy proof...so don't worry about it

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from LindaN:

The only thing I would like would be that the jack be 1/4" since that is what my husbands studio headphones are....

After I installed the Pinnovators lit on my Tron we experimented with some different headphones. I had AKG 240M (around $100) Studio Monitors, Beats (not sure which model), and Senheiser HD 428 (around $55). We both agreed the AKG's were not enjoyable. If your husband has true studio monitors, they aren't really made for listening to music. I'll leave the AKG's for mixing. I thought the Beats were a little unnatural on the bass, I preferred the cheapo Senheiser. My friend liked his beats much better, maybe because he spent a bunch of money on them? Everyone will have their own taste. Tron sounds amazing!

#34 10 years ago

I have a Pinnovaters kit on my AC/DC at Lanes and Games arcade and people are lovin it. I already have a kit waiting for Metallica. If you're close to Cambridge MA you can check it out.

Mike
    http://www.lanesandgamesarcade.com/

#35 10 years ago

Pinnovators kits don't have that problem.. The board connections are keyed so u can't plug it in wrong and do any damage to your amp..after that it's one wire from front to back. Like a Internet cord on your computer. Clicks in one way only.. Like the other guy said simple!!

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#36 10 years ago

sorry iphone put pictures sideways..my bad

#37 10 years ago

The PinPac is great. I have one on my CSI, and it really shows off the SAM audio system. I need to get one for IM.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

If your husband has true studio monitors, they aren't really made for listening to music.

Wow!,, you are correct. It's been sometime ago but I believe my husband mention that his headphones are 'flat' and designed to be that way to replicate the exact tones, blah, blah, blah...

But I have to say that they sound excellent when I hear them... ( I am not a music afficianado per tones etc.... )... when I sing my ABC's it sounds like I'm singing 'Twinkle , Twinkle, little Star....

But anyways, I hope it sounds good. I don't remember how much he paid for the headphones... but they are M-Audio I think.....

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

The board connections are keyed so u can't plug it in wrong and do any damage to your amp..after that it's one wire from front to back. Like a Internet cord on your computer.

So where does the other end of this computer cord plug into?? I can see that it plugs into the part that is mounted on the front of the door.......

Thank you for all your help......

Linda

#40 10 years ago

Hi Linda, the other end of the black cord plugs into our sound board adapter in the pictures below
    Thanks,
    Lorenzo
    Pinnovators.com

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#41 10 years ago

I have Pinnovator's PinPacs installed in 3 of my machines, I couldn't be happier.

Thanks Lorenzo!

-Mike

#42 10 years ago

Love the idea of external volume control but cannot wrap my pea brain around the headphones?? Cabinet is not soundproof.

Pretty slick invention though I like that it is the aprox size as a bill validator.

#43 10 years ago

Installed my pinnovator2 yesterday- piece of cake!

I wish it controlled the master volume for the machine as well (not just the headphone jack!)

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I wish it controlled the master volume for the machine as well (not just the headphone jack!)

The headphones are not just about complete silence so no one else can hear anything but u... While it does provide the option to silence the speakers there is still flipper clicking and pop bumper noise. For some people this provides some sound reduction from others in neighboring rooms. If your in a carpeted room even the clicking gets muffled down. The main benefit of these kits is about how it makes you focus on your play, your more in tune with call outs, there's sounds you normally don't notice, bangs, crashes, call outs are right in your head. With over ear headphones the bass notes are more profound, and the most amazing part is you can crank the volume so loud in your headphones that if you tried to achieve that level with the games speakers your neighbors would hear it a house away... Ask anyone with a headphone kit on their acdc, its night and day with them on your head. The headphone jack is always live, even when playing in pairs I use the headphones but leave the mute switch off. While I stay focused, the other player is still hearing the game and what I'm playing in the game. My game room is near my kitchen, I mute the speakers to not bother the bride while diner is being prepared. Good excuse to say I didn't hear her when its time to do the dishes lol

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

There is a master volume control in the tourney hole for $30 by another pinside member. Looks like a quality product.

#46 10 years ago

Any discount code for us Pinsiders? I'm thinking of ordered a few of these for my current games and my pending Metallica LE.

Thx
    BSL

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from Brentslane:

Any discount code for us Pinsiders? I'm thinking of ordered a few of these for my current games and my pending Metallica LE.
    Thx
    BSL

Email sent. Metallica kits also for sale on our site. Can't wait to see the game in person

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

I mute the speakers to not bother the bride while diner is being prepared. Good excuse to say I didn't hear her when its time to do the dishes lol

WOW,, pinball electronics entreprenuer AND does the dishes too? Hmmmm..... Do you have some other adapter that you can sell me that makes my husband to the dishes?

Linda

#49 10 years ago

I purchased the buckwerx headphone setup for my Tron, installed it and ended up removing it. I think it would be great for certain situations, but don't expect to rock out. That's what I love about Tron, the deep immersive sounds, especially with my Flipper Fidelity setup. The headphones work as advertised, but don't expect to get the same rich and deep sounds because your rocking the 300 dollar Beats or whatever. I think the sound came across as flat. I even believe the jumper harness that is installed on the board creates a loss of sound quality even when the headphones were not plugged in. When I uninstalled the unit the normal quality returned. The loss was minimal when headphones were not used, but I could notice.

Buck, the owner is a standup guy though, and really helped me though. Even tried installing a knob to control the level. I was looking for a night time solution where I could really crank it up and maintain the same depth of sound. I didn't really need it anyway, so no need to install unless I was 110% happy.

As for the look, I sprayed a few coats of a textured black on the plate before installing and it blended perfectly. I wasn't crazy about the orange print as well.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

As for the look, I sprayed a few coats of a textured black on the plate before installing and it blended perfectly. I wasn't crazy about the orange print as well.

I agree with you on the 'orange print'.. These pinnovators look very clean and appear that they were meant to be there.... Build quality looks decent. Can't comment on the sound yet as my husband hasn't installed them yet.. I will keep an ear out for what you're talking about. Don't want to lose any sound quality. I've asked my husband if he can modify or add to these so that they will work with wireless headphones but he isn't too happy with the quality of wireless headphones thus far.

Linda

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/headphone-jacks-for-stern-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.