(Topic ID: 8105)

Heading to Radio Shack to pick up 5amp fuses for my LOTR LE......

By iceman44

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by StevenP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Blew out the ring magnet fuse...after researching found out it's F7 in the back box.

I guess I'm just destined to have to learn about this stuff.....

I'd rather just be able to play the game...a least a little longer without having these minor issues keep coming up on a NIB for me....

If there is one thing that is going to keep people like myself from buying more NIB's it's lack of quality control and having to go back to trade school to figure out how to fix these things!

I realize a lot of pinheads love fixing and tinkering, I don't and I don't have time for it, I'd rather enjoy playing the thing without having constant little issues.....

I'm hoping WOZ will be much better on the quality control issue, we'll see......

I'm also thinking that the future generation that grew up on video games aren't going to want to deal with technical issues 50% of the time versus gameplay.....or even 10%, that's a real problem I think.......

#2 12 years ago

Welcome to pinball

I hate fixing stuff, but these machines are some of the most complicated things out there. There is a massive amount of PF mechanics and electronics, mixed in with maintenance, cleaning and upgrades. The fact of the matter is that all goes with owning them.

I feel your pain and know exactly what happened. You got up today all bright eyed and glowing with the feeling of playing for a couple hours. All of a sudden you have to fix something. Happens all the time. I was so pissed at my JD and DW the other day, both had issues, I felt like putting them both up for sale...

They always go down when you really want to play or you are having company.

#3 12 years ago

After that magnet blew the fuse the first time I haven't had an issue with it since. This is common for this game. I think the factory fuses are of a lower quality, or maybe they put in a normal blow instead of a slow blow.

I also have DTR set at 2 ball.

Just wondering, LOTR owners, how many times have you had to replace the magnet fuse?

I would also grab some 3A SB while you are there.

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I realize a lot of pinheads love fixing and tinkering, I don't and I don't have time for it, I'd rather enjoy playing the thing without having constant little issues.....

It's funny this thread came up,I was playing my LOTR this morning
    and the magnet fuse blew so I replaced it and upon start up a loud
    humming sound came from the magnet and fuse blew again.The magnet
    is locked on and i did'nt have time to investigate.The fuse was located
    on F20 in my machine,might be a different location on the LE machines.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I would also grab some 3A SB while you are there.

Stern manual says 4amp SB but if you have a rottendog driver
    board in your game it says 3amp SB on the board.

#6 12 years ago

The fuses protect the game from even worse damage (or fire).

Have you ever bought a Motor Home? It costs $150,000 and comes with a huge punch list that is signed off by 50 different guys who supposedly double checked every little detail. You spend the next few months making them a new punch list of many things that are squeaking, loose, not working, won't retract....

Anything that has thousands of pieces, and many moving parts is going to require regular maintenance.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I hate fixing stuff, but these machines are some of the most complicated things out there. There is a massive amount of PF mechanics and electronics, mixed in with maintenance, cleaning and upgrades. The fact of the matter is that all goes with owning them.

Very well said I couldn't agree with you more atomic.

#8 12 years ago

The magnet is a 4A SB but the rest of the coils and flippers use 3A SB. These are the ones which normally blow. Having some 5, 7 and 8A SB also wouldn't be a bad idea either.

#9 12 years ago

Seal, I read the forums on RGP and for the LE the fix is a 5A SB because of the board type being different from the regular and because Stern didn't update the manual they apparently later confirmed it to be the 5A SB for proper use.....

Just popped it in and working like a charm!

So I took my panties off this morning and quit whining about it and just fixed it!

Now it will be me and a six pack of Corona's working on my LOTR high score!

Life is good again....haha

Check RGP PinMike for that solve....remember reading something about your issue as well...

#10 12 years ago

And now that I think about it pin mike I believe Stern put the normal blow in originally and if you replace with the proper slow blow you shouldn't have that problem....

How often do the flipper and coil fuses blow for you guys?

#11 12 years ago

"I've had the fuse blow several times and it's a 4A - NOT a 3A. I even had
    the transistor short out so when you replace the fuse the magnet was on all
    the time.
    Replaced that and 4A fuse and it hasn't blown for awhile.
    ALSO, when you start a mode hit both flippers so that the magnet releases
    that ball sooner so the magnet doesn't sit there and pulse.
    maybe i just suck at destroy the ring but it's likely the problem i had with
    the spinner switch not working was what blew the magnet fuse since the
    spinner wasn't telling the magnet to release the ball.
    I've had lots of little issues with my LOTR, but 95% of them are due to the
    cheap ass bulbs and switches Stern is using! USE EIKO bulbs on your pop
    bumpers [and everything for that matter] and Cherry swithches and you'll be
    OK. The Cherry switch in Balrog made him work perfect. I'm starting to
    enjoy the machine again instead of just getting frustrated at it.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

How often do the flipper and coil fuses blow for you guys?

Never had a problem with them yet,Just the magnet so far.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

machine again instead of just getting frustrated at it.

I know exactly what you mean,I have put more work time on LOTR
    than any other game i own.It's a great game but the little nicknacks
    always get in the way.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

"I've had the fuse blow several times and it's a 4A - NOT a 3A

That's kinda funny I have had a 3amp in there for quite sometime
    and never had it blown and i played it pretty heavily too.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

"I've had the fuse blow several times and it's a 4A - NOT a 3A

I never said it was a 3A. I was saying you should pick up some up to have on hand.

Haven't had any of the other fuses blow, yet. But it sure sucks when they do at 11pm on a Saturday and you can't play the game because you are out of fuses.

#16 12 years ago

I was just quoting someone else on RGP.......I know you said 4A

Do you guys use one ball setting on DTR or two? the magnet is always on during that mode.....

Any concern over frying the transistor by using the higher amp SB? I can't see the FB working...

#17 12 years ago

Ok, back to the game now! Whatever will blow will blow.....at least I have backup fuses....

What is a "cherry switch" btw?

#18 12 years ago

Cherry is a manufacturer of switches. Arguably the most reliable.

I would think if the correct fuse for the magnet is a 5ASB then Stern would have put out a service bulletin for it. Use at your own risk. Because over fusing can result in a burnt board or worse.

#19 12 years ago

Thanks for the info Seal....I guess since I don't want to experience extended interruption in gameplay I really do need to get myself a whole bunch of supply parts for backup....

And newer LED's as well.....

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I can't see the FB working.

Will keep blowing.

Quoted from iceman44:

one ball setting on DTR or two

Set it to one ball.

Quoted from iceman44:

Any concern over frying the transistor by using the higher amp SB?

If you decide to overfuse then i say yes you are taking a chance
    at frying the transistor.It just dawned on me now I just recently
    changed the roms in mine and I'm now wondering if it has anything
    to do with it.

#21 12 years ago

"Advice I just got (10th March 2010) from Stern technical says to go
    ahead and use the 5A SB on an LOTR LE if you need to. "

Just found this on RGP for those that it might apply to....

Thanks Pinmike.....maybe the ROM change did affect the fuse needed?

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Thanks Pinmike.....maybe the ROM change did affect the fuse needed?

Your welcome,Was there any info about the regular LOTR fuse change?

#24 12 years ago

"One thread I saw suggested replacing the transistor with either a
    > IRL540 or IRL540N. Would this be done only after I blow a couple of
    > fuses and the transistor would then be suspect, or should it be done
    > right away? "

Maybe the transistor should be updated pinmike?

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Maybe the transistor should be updated pinmike?

It's a brand new Rottendog board and it looks to already be
    updated.

EDIT- I will just have to dig into it when I have time and I
    will post my findings just in case someone has problems like
    this down the road.

#26 12 years ago

"With the power off you can check if the center tab of the Q6 (ring
    magnet) is shorted to ground. If it is, you need to replace the Mosfet,
    we can call a 'power transistor' if you want.
    I wouldn't dismiss that the spinner is not returning to 90 degrees. If
    the spinner switch is staying closed when the game boots, the magnet
    will lock on. "

GL Mike, I couldn't find anything else on RGP re your issue...

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

"With the power off you can check if the center tab of the Q6 (ring
    magnet) is shorted to ground. If it is, you need to replace the Mosfet,
    we can call a 'power transistor' if you want.
    I wouldn't dismiss that the spinner is not returning to 90 degrees. If
    the spinner switch is staying closed when the game boots, the magnet
    will lock on. "

GL Mike, I couldn't find anything else on RGP re your issue...

Thanks iceman,I will check it out.

#28 12 years ago

I understand where your coming from iceman. You spend the extra to buy NIB so you wouldn't have to get the fluke out. You should be flipping not fixing.

#29 12 years ago

Amen Jimmy, when it flips right, it's all good! There is always something it seems......that's why I'm waiting for WOZ and seeing how JJP does with QC and will hit their second machine too.....

Nimble seems to be lucky with his NIB Sterns although he knows what the hell he is doing!

At least the manual should be right! It should be at least like buying a car.....I would expect the thing to work at least for a year before I had to take it in for warranty work....

Maybe competition will force these guys to do better on QC...

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

that's why I'm waiting for WOZ and seeing how JJP does with QC and will hit their second machine too

There will always be issues with NIB pinball machines. I hope the added competition does result in better quality control for both Stern and JJP. That said, Pinabll machines will still be pinball machines and sooner or later (sometimes sooner) you are going to have to work on them a bit. The unknown factor (and price of course) is part of the reason I probably will not buy NIB. At least when buying a used pin you can give it a look over and play to make sure all is working and looking good before you buy/unwrap it.

#31 12 years ago

I can see why the Pinheads go used, if you know how to restore it A to Z that could be fun......

I realize that I need to get up to speed on basic issues........I can see how once you get to a certain point of knowledge in fixing these things you could go crazy on buying the fun ones....

I'm gonna try and get there, it's not rocket science.....right?

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

that's why I'm waiting for WOZ and seeing how JJP does with QC and will hit their second machine too.

I heard Jack say he is going to use new "felt" balls so the plastics don't break

Just the nature of the beast, all pinball machines will have issues coming from the factory, doesn't matter who makes them. Like everything else, customer service after the purchase is important. I think both companies will do that well.

#33 12 years ago

You might as well get some of these too while you're at it. You'll need one eventually.....

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=197&parent=30

#34 12 years ago

"After that magnet blew the fuse the first time I haven't had an issue with it since. This is common for this game. I think the factory fuses are of a lower quality, or maybe they put in a normal blow instead of a slow blow.

Just wondering, LOTR owners, how many times have you had to replace the magnet fuse?"

I got my new LOTR LE NIB about 3 months ago. Within two weeks the ring magnet fuse had blown. I replaced it with a 4 amp slo-blo from radio shack and have not had another problem with it. I do think the batch Stern used must have been prone to failure. Other than that, so far I have only had to replace about 5 to 7 bulbs. The pop bumper bulbs get vibration so much that I decided to use red flasher LEDs that cointaker sells. They work great and should not fail from vibrations. I also had to replace the flasher bulb behind the ring and used an LED from pinball life that seems to do the job.

#35 12 years ago

Mine had the 4ASB as the stock fuse and it blew in two days.
    After asking Stern about it, the 5ASB is the recommended replacement. (For the LE...)
    So far the fuse is still holding after 6 months of heavy play and no issues whatsoever.
    I still have the DTR set at one ball. The board is still looking good underneath the 5A...

#36 12 years ago

The ring magnet fuse is a simple (and factory-approved) fix; just put in the 5A slo-blo as noted above. The real problem with the LOTR LEs is the flipper driver transistors. Both of mine blew within about 8 months, from holding the flipper up for a while (30 seconds to a minute or so). It also takes out a fuse when the transistor blows. Once while explaining rules to a friend during the game, and once during multiball, with a trapped ball and pause in gameplay. This is a REAL problem; 2 friends have also blown flipper transistors on their LEs (I think they were #15 and 16 on the board). Replacing the transistors fixed it--not sure if the board was underdesigned or they had a bad batch of transistors, but if your LOTR LE flipper dies, it'll likely be the transistor. Just a heads-up.

#37 12 years ago

YES! Same here! My Magnet Ring fuse blew in the first few games I had my NIB. Stern told me to replace the 4 amp slow-blow with a 5 amp. I did it and have never had a problem since.

Mike

#38 12 years ago

really bad advice sealclubber, you state that having a supply of higher rated fuses is acceptable. It is not and as a moderator you should know better.

#39 12 years ago

Leigh, the owners manual for my LOTR LE states the game takes 3,4,5,7, and 8A SB fuses. So please tell me which ones I recommended are over rated? I also have never told him to over fuse his circuit. Quite the contrary. Having extra fuses on hand is NOT bad advice.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from Leigh:

really bad advice sealclubber, you state that having a supply of higher rated fuses is acceptable. It is not and as a moderator you should know better.

Leigh,SC was just reminding him to pickup extra different types of fuses
    to keep on hand.Whenever I pickup fuses I always make sure to get all
    different types to stock up on,Its always good to have all types because
    you never know when your going to need them.

#41 12 years ago

How safe is that though? I mean really I could tell you to change out every fuse with a 20 amp, and I guarantee you will never have another “fuse” problem. I have asked some questions of Stern before, and answers have seemed a little quick and suspect sometimes. The difference of an amp is much bigger than it sounds and would stress transistors. It’s entirely possible, as the SAM and Whitestar systems are different, but I would want to make REAL sure myself.

My machine is an LE that had less than 100 plays. The previous owner had never got too far, so the fuse blew on mine right away. I replaced this with a 4a, and it has never happened again. I would stay at a 4a unless you find it’s blowing frequently. Hell, even if it blows 4 times in a year, $5 for that over the possibility of the costs and time of an overfused issue is piece of mind for me.

#42 12 years ago

Good points everybody, ordering the vuk switch from Pinball Life amongst other led's and bulbs....

Palantir orb bulb out so while I'm replacing that one going to experiment with some led's for the first time!

Ok, yes, I am getting excited about this order and tweaking the machine Nimble style! Well it might take me a whole lot longer than NP....

#43 12 years ago

If the fuse keeps blowing try simulating the point in the game where you draw too much current and hook up your amp clip to see exactly how much amps you have. Then I would replace the fuse with 1/2 amp higher.

#44 12 years ago

I would recommend trying a 4 amp fuse again before going to 5 amps. If the 4 amp fuse blows again you can always go up to 5 after that. They are low cost items. It seems many people including me have not had much problem with 4 amp fuses after the 1st one blew. Why risk a higher current on the transistors if you do not need to?

Also, regarding the palantir flasher. Pinball Life sells an LED color changing flasher (bayonet type) for $1.25 that works well there if you want to give that a try. I carefully use needle nose plyers to install it. It is a tight area to work on. You still need to unscrew the palantir ball from its threaded screw to get to the bulb.

#45 12 years ago

Thanks Jimmy and DC.....I agree, I've been thinking about going back to the 4 amp and if it blows 3 or 4 times a year so what.....despite what Stern says I think I'd rather be safe than sorry on the transistor....

I'm gonna add the LED color changer to the order! I've got the needle nose ready....I didn't even notice it was out until somebody pointed out a mod of going to the all glass orb.....

thx again guys

#46 12 years ago

I've actually had luck getting at the palantir bulb without removing the globe (partially because my globe doesn't budge and I'm afraid of breaking it). Taking that route, there's plenty of room to work.

I've found that once the post that holds down the wire ramp is removed, there's enough play to lift off the ramp anchor. Then if you pull up on the whole metal assembly while also pulling horizontally on the small rubber ring on the front left post, it pops off nicely. The trick is getting it back on -- you need to have the ring wedged between the ball and the base first, and then work the assembly back onto the post(s).

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Thanks Jimmy and DC.....I agree, I've been thinking about going back to the 4 amp and if it blows 3 or 4 times a year so what.....despite what Stern says I think I'd rather be safe than sorry on the transistor....
    I'm gonna add the LED color changer to the order! I've got the needle nose ready....I didn't even notice it was out until somebody pointed out a mod of going to the all glass orb.....
    thx again guys

It was discussed in some detail a while back that the 4A fuse spec was a "legacy" and that the LE's ring magnet can safely and properly take a 5A fuse. If your 4A fuse holds up, or you don't mind replacing blown fuses periodically (and maybe messing up a good game!) then I guess that will work for you. I've had a 5A fuse in for about 1.5 years, no problems at all.

As for the Palantir, the best mod is to replace the cheezy plastic ball with a glass one. It costs only $3 plus shipping for the 30mm ball and looks MUCH better; the only thing you need to mount it is a small rubber ring (1/4"?) and a small cotter pin or clip. Here's a source: http://www.cristalier.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=G-SB-CL-30

The other palantir mod is to put a bit of tin foil just behind the bulb and shape it forward so it hugs the back surface of the ball. You can't see it from in front, but it makes the entire ball glow from a wide range of viewing angles.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heading-to-radio-shack-to-pick-up-5amp-fuses-for-my-lotr-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.