Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by radium
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

new orleans sleep on trunk (resized).jpg
    B5AF4C9A-A1BD-4486-9972-39888234C8E8 (resized).jpeg
    F54A0FC7-54CB-48B6-9431-E4D4DAB0EFAA (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

Heading to New Orleans for a friends 40th birthday. So far, have a swamp tour, cemetery tour and one nice dinner at R'evolution. Looking for guidance. Basically going just to hang out and drink at some cool bars and get some good food.

Thanks,

Mike

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

Heading to New Orleans for a friends 40th birthday. So far, have a swamp tour, cemetery tour and one nice dinner at R'evolution. Looking for guidance. Basically going just to hang out and drink at some cool bars and get some good food.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Best meal I had there: https://www.brigtsens.com/

Bourbon street sucks pretty hard unless you like huge crowds and expensive yard sized sugary drinks.

#3 4 years ago

PG or Debauchery?

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

Thanks,
    Mike

Dickie Brennan's steakhouse.

You're welcome.

#5 4 years ago

Pretty much everything outside of Bourbon St rules. Just avoid it.

#6 4 years ago

Go to Cafe Du Monde for beignets

..you will thank me later

#7 4 years ago

Not planning on spending much time on Bourbon street. Will probably visit for a few and then get the hell out of there. I think it is out of our demographic.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Raegor:

PG or Debauchery?

Both! LOL

#9 4 years ago

It's pretty silly to avoid Bourbon St - that's like going to NYC and refusing to visit the Statue of Liberty or whatever. You can easily spend 20 minutes just strolling up or down Bourbon St and then move on, but you should surely make it a stop. The strip is about 8 blocks so it's not like it's much of a commitment.

For live music you will want to go to Frenchmen st just across from the quarter. Tons of music clubs, some won't have a cover (drink minimum). Apple Barrel, DBA, some of those places. It's kind of Bourbon St. South now but with more music and less honky tonk. You could easily spend an hour or two there.

If you like messy, buttery seafood get the BBQ Shrimp at Mr B.s Bistro. Amazing!!! There's like a stick of butter per shrimp and tasty tasty seasonings.

For "fine dining" Antione's is great. Some may scoff at the menu which hasn't changed in 90 years or whatever but it really is a wonderful meal. I got the soft shell crabs with almonds when I went and of course some gumbo and crawfish tails.

And yeah Café Cu Monde is great. Don't do like my gf and ask for a menu, it's on the napkin dispenser.

It's pretty hard to get a bad meal there, even at the touristy places. Have fun!

B5AF4C9A-A1BD-4486-9972-39888234C8E8 (resized).jpegB5AF4C9A-A1BD-4486-9972-39888234C8E8 (resized).jpegF54A0FC7-54CB-48B6-9431-E4D4DAB0EFAA (resized).jpegF54A0FC7-54CB-48B6-9431-E4D4DAB0EFAA (resized).jpeg
    #10 4 years ago

I just left there on monday.
    City park is real nice.
    French market, Jackson square area is real good. Take a stroll down Frenchman street.
    Bourbon st is good to stroll down, just dont stay long. Be sure to get a drink at lafitte. It's the oldest pub there. If you have a lot of time, take a ride on the Natchez. It's a river paddle boat. There's a ton to do and everything can be done with a drink.
    Dont plan on playing pinball.....there isn't any there.

#11 4 years ago

Every time I'm in town, I hit up Napoleon House for a couple meals. Great food at reasonable prices.
    https://www.napoleonhouse.com

Obviously there is tons of music to check out if that interests you so check the calendar.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's pretty silly to avoid Bourbon St - that's like going to NYC and refusing to visit the Statue of Liberty or whatever. You can easily spend 20 minutes just strolling up or down Bourbon St and then move on, but you should surely make it a stop. The strip is about 8 blocks so it's not like it's much of a commitment.
    For live music you will want to go to Frenchmen st just across from the quarter.[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from mezzblue:

Bourbon st is good to stroll down, just dont stay long.

I totally get that Bourbon street may be awesome for some people, but going somewhere just to say you went there is the exact opposite of how I want to spend my vacation. By all means, if that's your scene then it's probably awesome, but Frenchmen is 1000% better and actually worth more than 20 minutes if your time. I know the statue of liberty was an off the cuff analogy, but I'd compare it to something like Times Square. When I went to NYC with some friends we "had to see it!". After the time spent getting there, all the people you have to shove through...you're like cool, we're here...I guess we can go to the M&Ms store? Unless you really feel like you need to see it, you're not missing anything. Why am I picking this hill to die on? Because I made my buddy take me when I went to visit him under much protest by him, and I wish we'd spent that time doing literally anything else .

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

Not planning on spending much time on Bourbon street. Will probably visit for a few and then get the hell out of there. I think it is out of our demographic.

If you do end up there Killer Poboys is a worthy stop. In the back of a bar and one of the better po boys I’ve had ever. Way better then mothers etc.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I totally get that Bourbon street may be awesome for some people, but going somewhere just to say you went there is the exact opposite of how I want to spend my vacation. By all means, if that's your scene then it's probably awesome, but Frenchmen is 1000% better and actually worth more than 20 minutes if your time. I know the statue of liberty was an off the cuff analogy, but I'd compare it to something like Times Square. When I went to NYC with some friends we "had to see it!". After the time spent getting there, all the people you have to shove through...you're like cool, we're here...I guess we can go to the M&Ms store? Unless you really feel like you need to see it, you're not missing anything. Why am I picking this hill to die on? Because I made my buddy take me when I went to visit him under much protest by him, and I wish we'd spent that time doing literally anything else .

It's more than just "going there to go there."

Bourbon st. should be seen. At least once!

#15 4 years ago

If you're a museum type person, go to the World War II museum. Its amazing! Even my wife who generally doesn't like museums or military history loved it. It can be an all day thing though

#16 4 years ago

We are flying in tomorrow from California and will be staying until Monday. None of us have ever been. It is my buddies 40th birthday so we be doing stuff he wants to do. But he is kind of winging it so it is good to get some suggestions from the great folks of pinside.

#17 4 years ago

The food in New Orleans is fantastic. Far and away the best reason to go to the city. If I never spend another minute on Bourbon Street that's OK with me but you should at least check it out. If you do wind up going there, don't wander outside of the busy, main drag after dark, watch you back and keep your wallet safe.

#18 4 years ago

Just two couples going. All in our late 30's/early 40's.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's more than just "going there to go there."
    Bourbon st. should be seen. At least once!

How is spending 20 minutes to go there and then moving on not the definition of "going there to go there"? Going there to go there sounds exactly what you are recommending. There is better food, better music, better bars, and better people practically anywhere else in the city. What exactly are you suggesting they do there that there isn't a better version of elsewhere? Can you tell I don't care for bourbon street?

#20 4 years ago

If you like a more relaxing area and love a more layed back atmosphere (more layed back than Frenchmans St even), head to the warehouse district - 5-10 minute walk from Bourbon St. Great little area also.

ALso, keep your hands and "feet inside the vehicle" - a bouncer at a ripper club literally grabbed me with my arms to my side, carried me right in to a club, tried to basically extort the cover charge out of me to head in. Not that I don't mind a naked female or two, it wasnt happening right then

#21 4 years ago

NOLA makes Vegas look like a little bitch in my opinion.

#22 4 years ago

One of the best meals I have ever had was at Commanders Palace. They require you to dress up. Really fancy place. One of the best things I have ever done is an air boat tour. They pick you up right from your hotel and bring you back. Ghost tours are really fun. Cemetery tours are great also. Watch out for scam artists on Bourbon St.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

One of the best things I have ever done is an air boat tour. They pick you up right from your hotel and bring you back

Warning: not all of the airboat tours provide this service. Most do not. Be careful when you book your airboat tour to make sure they pick you up at your hotel or some other convenient meeting point and don’t expect you to drive out to the launch site.

Friendly public service announcement from a Cajun.

#24 4 years ago

Reach out to Mike at the PinChurch.
    http://mystickrewe.com/resources/pinchurch/

If your wife / spouse is with you, you might like the Jazz Sunday Brunch at Antoines
    https://antoines.com/jazz-brunch

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

How is spending 20 minutes to go there and then moving on not the definition of "going there to go there"? Going there to go there sounds exactly what you are recommending. There is better food, better music, better bars, and better people practically anywhere else in the city. What exactly are you suggesting they do there that there isn't a better version of elsewhere? Can you tell I don't care for bourbon street?

Jesus Fn Christ.

I'm suggesting they walk to Bourbon st. and check it out If they don't like it, they can leave.

Your STAY AWAY FROM THERE AT ALL COSTS!!! advice is fucking ridiculous when they are likely going to be a block or two away anyway at various times. Not everybody is a tourism snob.

If you really can't get any enjoyment at all out of anything on Bourbon st I don't know what to tell you. It's a trip and I 100 percent guarantee at least one person out of the four will get a chuckle out of at least one thing they see there. They are obviously going to go there anyway just like 100 percent of the people who are in NOLA for the first time so GET OVER IT!

Man, they are gonna love the Hurricanes at Pat O' Briens. - pro tip, only get 1, they are way stronger than you think and there's nothing grosser than pink vomit.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

One of the best meals I have ever had was at Commanders Palace. They require you to dress up. Really fancy place. One of the best things I have ever done is an air boat tour. They pick you up right from your hotel and bring you back. Ghost tours are really fun. Cemetery tours are great also. Watch out for scam artists on Bourbon St.

Doing an air boat tour and being picked up at the air port. Have a cemetery tour set up for Monday.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Jesus Fn Christ.
    I'm suggesting they walk to Bourbon st. and check it out If they don't like it, they can leave.
    Your STAY AWAY FROM THERE AT ALL COSTS!!! advice is fucking ridiculous when they are likely going to be a block or two away anyway at various times. Not everybody is a tourism snob.
    If you really can't get any enjoyment at all out of anything on Bourbon st I don't know what to tell you. It's a trip and I 100 percent guarantee at least one person out of the four will get a chuckle out of at least one thing they see there. They are obviously going to go there anyway just like 100 percent of the people who are in NOLA for the first time so GET OVER IT!
    Man, they are gonna love the Hurricanes at Pat O' Briens. - pro tip, only get 1, they are way stronger than you think and there's nothing grosser than pink vomit.

Lol yeesh, do you own stock in the place? I've been there so trust me I am definitely over it. I'm not personally invested in anyone going there, just trying to save the OP the disappointment I had when I realized I was walking by a bunch of "Irish" sports bars and places selling plastic mugs of booze slushies. As I said if that's your scene then you'll have a blast.

I'm not going to win you over and that's ok. You can stand in the middle of bourbon street taking in the ambiance of drunk 23 year old frat boys wearing drinks around their necks and bars blasting country music. It's the authentic NOLA experience you can't get at literally any bar in any town ever!

Also there is no pinball in New Orleans.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Also there is no pinball in New Orleans.

Mystic Krewe pinball parlor at kebab
    http://nolapinball.com/

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:Mystic Krewe pinball parlor at kebab
    http://nolapinball.com/

Oh nice! Its been a while since I have been out there. Glad something opened up to the public!

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Jesus Fn Christ.
    I'm suggesting they walk to Bourbon st. If they don't like it, they can leave.
    Your STAY AWAY FROM THERE AT ALL COSTS!!! advice is fucking ridiculous when they are likely going to be a block or two away anyway at various times.
    GET OVER IT

I love going to Bourbon St. I just don't stay out past 9 o clock as it can get more rowdy. Its an experience I wouldn't miss. So many different kinds of music.

#31 4 years ago

Don't rent a car if you are staying around the French Quarter. The hotels will charge you 30 to 40 bucks to park a day. You can walk anywhere anyway. Also the WW2 museum is great if you're into that.

#32 4 years ago

Here's some Bourbon street tips.

Enjoy the music.
    Enjoy the scenery.
    Get half drunk, or pretty drunk, or really drunk. Whatever you feel like, you'll fit right in.
    No matter how drunk you get and what stupid thing you do, it won't be anywhere near as bad as what someone around you is doing. So go for it.
    Remember the party doesn't really start until around 2 or 3, maybe 4. That's AM.
    If you stay late enough, there is a very good chance you can see some actual non-stripper boobs on the street. As to whether this is a good thing or a bad thing I can't say, you decide.
    If you see someone literally lying down on the street in the gutter, just step around them and keep moving. Its normal.
    You may see many girls, some of them who might look very attractive (this is influenced by how many hurricanes you drank). Many of them are not actually girls.
    Don't drink a hurricane. Take my word on this. Don't do it.
    Try not to touch anything.

Here is an honest to goodness real picture I took some years ago on one of my many work trips to New Orleans. For some reason I can't define, certain people found themselves at Bourbon Street every night, sometimes going as late as 5 AM despite the fact we had to work the next morning at 9. One morning around 9 or so we were walking from our hotel to the convention center and saw this guy, I couldn't resist taking this shot. I don't know how his night went, but he totally decided to just go to sleep on the trunk of a car. Maybe his car, who knows? And I love how he set his shoes down on the ground before crawling in bed. This about sums up how your life will be if you go visit Bourbon Street.

new orleans sleep on trunk (resized).jpgnew orleans sleep on trunk (resized).jpg

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Here's some Bourbon street tips.
    Enjoy the music.
    Enjoy the scenery.
    Get half drunk, or pretty drunk, or really drunk. Whatever you feel like, you'll fit right in.
    No matter how drunk you get and what stupid thing you do, it won't be anywhere near as bad as what someone around you is doing. So go for it.
    Remember the party doesn't really start until around 2 or 3, maybe 4. That's AM.
    If you stay late enough, there is a very good chance you can see some actual non-stripper boobs on the street. As to whether this is a good thing or a bad thing I can't say, you decide.
    If you see someone literally lying down on the street in the gutter, just step around them and keep moving. Its normal.
    You may see many girls, some of them who might look very attractive (this is influenced by how many hurricanes you drank). Many of them are not actually girls.
    Don't drink a hurricane. Take my word on this. Don't do it.
    Try not to touch anything.
    Here is an honest to goodness real picture I took some years ago on one of my many work trips to New Orleans. For some reason I can't define, certain people found themselves at Bourbon Street every night, sometimes going as late as 5 AM despite the fact we had to work the next morning at 9. One morning around 9 or so we were walking from our hotel to the convention center and saw this guy, I couldn't resist taking this shot. I don't know how his night went, but he totally decided to just go to sleep on the trunk of a car. Maybe his car, who knows? And I love how he set his shoes down on the ground before crawling in bed. This about sums up how your life will be if you go visit Bourbon Street.
    [quoted image]

The first time I went on Bourbon St I saw 2 topless woman in the span of 5 minutes. One was painted completely blue from head to toe.

#34 4 years ago

And if you really want to have fun, buy a couple bags of beads and make a game of trying to play "ring toss" with the giant cross the hardcores are out every night preaching.....hard.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not everybody is a tourism snob.

Quoted from grantopia:

Lol yeesh, do you own stock in the place?

Thanks to you both...that exchange was hilarious

#36 4 years ago

If you get really wasted, don’t go into a hotel and pee in the elevator. Don’t ask me how I know.

If you like jazz, get tickets for Ellis Marsalis at Snug Harbor. One of the greats!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heading-to-new-orleans?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.