(Topic ID: 194246)

Head2Head Podcast - **New episodes every Year**

By FalconPunch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15278909-E480-408B-88DB-129D599C0A36 (resized).jpeg
    5D76AC6B-56E9-4076-96EA-7A311C4A18F5 (resized).jpeg
    Ep 124 - Xmas 2 (resized).jpg
    20210101_002806 (resized).jpg
    Ep 123 Xmas Cheer (resized).png
    IMG_0400 (resized).jpg
    H2Hfinal-1024x576 (resized).png
    images (resized).jpg
    Ep122sm (resized).png
    Episode 121sm (resized).png
    ep120sm (resized).png
    ep119sm (resized).png
    ep118sm (resized).png
    ep117sm (resized).png
    ep116sm (resized).png
    Ep 115sm (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider soren.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#164 5 years ago

Guys. Everyone. You really need to take a step back and read between the lines. Please.

Could it be, that obtaining a license is defensive business tactic. Could it be a smoke screen for all we know. Or a specific ambition for a game designer. Or simply what is affordable in relation to how well recognised and desirable a movie (for staying at movie licenses) is.

Sure, there are hugh international 80's classics, bigger than say Beetlejuice. But if it was a free pick and choose, don't you think we would have seen Die Hard, Back to the Future and Top Gun pinball machines already.

You know, it would not surprise me, if the Ghostbusters license was infact too expensive and difficult, in relation to how well received that game turned out to be.

The theatrical box office is irrelevant for a movies value now a days. Both in terms of price to acquire and appeal in a game.

And speaking of smoke screens, I'll tell you. Steve Richie is not making a Black Knight game. Let alone a two level playfield design. Come on.

1 month later
    #236 5 years ago

Rule (major) changes in sports.

In football. World Cup 1990 turned out to be so defensively played accross the board, that FIFA introduced the back pass rule. When passing the ball to the goalkeeper, he cannot kick it up.

In badminton, it used to be so, that you could only win points in your own serve. With doubles even having a second serve. Games could turn out to be serve over marathons.

Both these changes were hugh benefits.

1 week later
    #260 5 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

2 months later
    #443 5 years ago

Hey boys. The hardest ramp is Taxi (the left one). Not a WPC game, but what came to mind first.

Taxi has a design flaw, where the Dracula catapult is making a dent into the ramp. In a sweet spot, where it will suck all energy out of shot up the ramp.

They learned from this and made a better design when the feature was reused on Fish Tales and Medieval Madness.

#455 5 years ago

The ACDC gimmick is Elvis rehash. If stuff is not ball interacting, it is not toys to me. But gimmicks.

Worse toy ever - by a landslide - Rescue 911.

#465 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

How about something like Woz spinning house?
    No interaction but surely its more of a toy than a gimmick?

The spinning house, and the witch for that matter, are toys. So is Sparky. Not sure about the Cross om Met, though. And what is the conceptual difference between the witch and the cross? Hmm. The cross seems or like mechanical special effects.

3 weeks later
    #512 5 years ago

Look. If JP is coming with Deeproot to Expo, there is not going to be any trouble. Because...

Deeproot has settled all his debts.

Deeproot has come to an agreement with former collaborators and business relations. The past is the past.

Deeproot has an offer to Magic Girl owners they are going to adore. A completed game. And even though Magic Girl will get a wide release, their machine will still hold status of a super ultra limited edition.

And their speak will address and explain this once and for all.

... I believe.

7 months later
    #768 4 years ago

Agree. Headshaking announcement by Deeproot. I ask myself, what is really wrong with pinball, when people are still playing the older games with enjoyment. And buying the current ones as well.

Do people really want innovation? People want a great game first. And second, quality and beauty. With the latter including theme integration.

And here is the bad news, that should scare any company. Even successful designers with decades of experience do not make a great game each time around.

Quality product and beauty - and playfield stuff - money can buy, yes. But here is my advise. As for the long lasting stabillity of the game as a whole, and the individual parts, just wait and see. Before a large sample of field tests and end-user experience is showing an improvement over competitors, maybe it is best to keep the mouth shut.

As for the H2H hosts and opinions from all around, I am likewise shaking my head at the "there has been no innovation in pinball since...". You got to axknowledge the smaller stuff.

Willy Wonka might be the best playfield ever designed. Not only is it bloddy interesting and brilliant. But the Gobstopper lock is never seen before. That is innovation "enough" for me. A step forward. So is the flail on Black Knight.

Also, it looks like the Wonkavator lock trough is having non-contact ball sensors, that works from just the one side of the ball. I am super curious about this. Is it a new reflective beam design? This is innovation on the technical side. And the possibilities it provides, may lead to innovation on the playfield side.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider soren.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/head2head-pinball-podcast-new-australian-podcast?tu=soren and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.