(Topic ID: 194246)

Head2Head Podcast - **New episodes every Year**

By FalconPunch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15278909-E480-408B-88DB-129D599C0A36 (resized).jpeg
    5D76AC6B-56E9-4076-96EA-7A311C4A18F5 (resized).jpeg
    Ep 124 - Xmas 2 (resized).jpg
    20210101_002806 (resized).jpg
    Ep 123 Xmas Cheer (resized).png
    IMG_0400 (resized).jpg
    H2Hfinal-1024x576 (resized).png
    images (resized).jpg
    Ep122sm (resized).png
    Episode 121sm (resized).png
    ep120sm (resized).png
    ep119sm (resized).png
    ep118sm (resized).png
    ep117sm (resized).png
    ep116sm (resized).png
    Ep 115sm (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dennisk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago

Enjoying the podcast. Stellar sound quality out of the gate. Keep up the good work!

8 months later
    #147 5 years ago

Nice interview. Always enjoy hearing some discussion about the Gottlieb street level series, as I think it was a fascinating experiment.

#151 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Haha. That was literally 20 seconds before I shut the conversation down.

Your pointy-flipper rage in action!

If you ever get a chance, I'd say take a look at the playfields. Just from a geometry standpoint, they are pretty interesting (to varying degrees). Even though they are all single-level, I'd say each street level game is laid out in a way that various parts of the field feel segmented out, with Title Fight probably being the most pronounced with three very different layout styles within the same game. Plus two games (Title Fight and Deadly Weapon) did that Game Plan tactic of putting a pop bumper where you'd normally expect a sling. But most of the layouts have pretty unique looks (Silver Slugger is probably the most conventional).

Of course, I'm just talking geometry. The PAPA guide lists Deadly Weapon, Title Fight, and Vegas as too easily exploited for good competitive play (Deadly Weapon due to the mystery award being way too unbalanced, the other two have high-value shots that are very easy to repeat). But not much to be done about that.

Anyway, I'd really love to see another single-level game with a highly creative layout. I think TNA shows that interest exists for such games, at least from time to time.

1 week later
    #169 5 years ago

Rather than raw performance of dollars, it might be best to sort movies by U.S. box office performance.

Superman (1978): 3rd highest (#2 Animal House and #1 Grease)
    Superman II (1980): 2nd highest (#1 was Empire Strikes Back)
    Beetlejuice (1988): 11th highest (not listing all the others, #3 was Coming to America, #2 was Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and #1 was Rain Man)

For comparison, Ghostbusters was the #1 box office film in 1984.

So, I personally wouldn't consider Beetlejuice a huge hit at threatres given it didn't make the top 10 for the year (whereas the first two Superman films were both theatrical behemoths), though whether it is a cult classic depends on your definition (I tend to associate cult classics with being box office bombs, which Beetlejuice definitely was not, it was successful as 11th is still a very good rank, but I do think it gained more acceptance after home release).

I can't even remember if I saw it in theatres as a kid. I liked it. Weird movie. Saw the cartoon some, but I don't think it ever hooked me and I did not regularly watch it.

On topic, would I want to see Beetlejuice as a pin? It's not a theme that I feel strongly about, but I think it would be easy to program a story around. Superman I would be more interested in, though I have a lot more experience watching Superman II and would prefer the theme to use the first two movies (they are closely tied together, and I think having General Zod as an adversary in the game is too good to ignore). Three and four I wouldn't even reference, though.

4 months later
    #453 5 years ago

Thanks for having me on, it was fun. Sorry to any Champion Pub fans, I was probably a bit harsh on that one.

#462 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, that definitely made me wanna smack you. Champion Pub is an excellent and fun game, a nice change of pace from the flow-hoe tourney-nerd math-chess zero-features boredom of new games.

My EGP co-host Tony likes Champion Pub quite a bit. I might put in a mouth-guard before we next record... just in case.

FHTNMCZFB would be a great acronym for describing tactically intense scoring strategy games, though I'd really need to buy a vowel or two in order to pronounce it.

#479 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I had to LOL at Dennis’ pickup that some Pinsiders said TNAs value had crashed and it wasn’t popular anymore because it is now advertised for $5900 - $6000 - the same price you can buy a new one for ....
    Ohhhh Pinside
    rd

Pinside is my only touchstone for current-event relevance in pinball. I had no choice but to exploit the words it provided. No choice!

4 months later
    #680 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Would like to hear you again but with a little more aggressive & authoritative tone (channel your inner Dennis Kreisel ... oh never mind).

Some say I'm the kindest person in pinball...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dennisk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/head2head-pinball-podcast-new-australian-podcast?tu=dennisk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.