(Topic ID: 194246)

Head2Head Podcast - **New episodes every Year**

By FalconPunch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15278909-E480-408B-88DB-129D599C0A36 (resized).jpeg
    5D76AC6B-56E9-4076-96EA-7A311C4A18F5 (resized).jpeg
    Ep 124 - Xmas 2 (resized).jpg
    20210101_002806 (resized).jpg
    Ep 123 Xmas Cheer (resized).png
    IMG_0400 (resized).jpg
    H2Hfinal-1024x576 (resized).png
    images (resized).jpg
    Ep122sm (resized).png
    Episode 121sm (resized).png
    ep120sm (resized).png
    ep119sm (resized).png
    ep118sm (resized).png
    ep117sm (resized).png
    ep116sm (resized).png
    Ep 115sm (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#214 5 years ago

Marty and Ryan - you guys are killing it. Awesome show!

#221 5 years ago

John Trudeau?

(He asks hoping not...)

Ghostbusters... Mustang... ??? Not sure about the weapon.

Nah... there’s no way. None.

Hmm... that gun looks like it might have something with Kingpin.

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

ghost has got headphones so guessing music or call outs.
    last interview was with keith and mentioned jerry thompson on beast callouts on ironmaiden and batman, and is listed on gb - theory falls apart on mustang and guessing tommy for music but might be the unmentioned call-out guy......

Isn’t the call out guy somekind of race driver? Tanner Faust comes to mind. But that could be way off

1 week later
    #234 5 years ago

Butch Peel from JJP.

1 week later
    #251 5 years ago

Ryan and Marty: Seriously. Thank you for these incredible podcasts... your interviews are on point and insightful... and the banter is excellent.

Dare I say: The New Gold Standard?

I think I just did.

You guys are great.

Best, Todd

#257 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Ok.
    Episode 49 clues.
    Not sure if this is easy or hard!

So...

Something, something, and cheaters?

#259 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

I wish I knew how to reply but I know nothing about American Football! I just know what this team is called
    Can I interest you in the weird sport we play here? Just the last 2 minutes of a game played yesterday here in Melbourne -

I like it! I bet those games are a ton of fun to attend

1 week later
    #289 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

The problem is that their "high-end" machines are built just like every other machine. There's nothing "high-end" about it other than their sticker price and the artificial scarcity they create. They're taking a page right out of Supreme's business model.

but if someone values that fake scarcity and pays, then it's worth pursing. A company would be foolish not to... it's not an operator's market anymore. They have to get creative and buyers have shown time and time again they're willing to pay. Like it or not, this is the market that buyers have supported.

#292 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I prefer that companies don't be dicks to their customers, but that's JUST ME, apparently. KaPow sucks. Get them out of here. The moment Joe K. returned to pinball many people saw some sort of shenanigans coming. I think it took all of 30 seconds for some industry vets to weigh in with some sideways comments about the guy. Artificial scarcity is a total jerking around of customers. Joe made it very clear in the interview that the game's scarcity will be intentional, and he's actually happy and proud about that. What a guy!

Didn’t you buy a GBLE????

#294 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

There's a difference between the different trim levels on a game and just making the game overall scarce on purpose. You can buy an LE, but it doesn't give you anything more than the premium other than art and finish. With the Beatles, they're just going to make fewer of everything, just to cause a constraint. The LE over a pro or premium stuff is opt in by choice, because you can always buy the premium on the open-ended run, but limiting the run to create a collectible aspect to it is toying with consumers. They're essentially forcing you to buy it right away or miss out.
    And why do they care about an inflated secondary market? It's purely an ego thing so Joe can thump his chest and say, "well MY game goes for $2,000 more than MSRP a year later. Isn't that neat?"
    The SLE was pretty dumb with Batman, but the LE and Premium were there, so it was still an opt in luxury choice. Doesn't seem like there's any option for the common collector here. I would hope they would reverse that an offer a premium model that has reasonable access to it.

Spooky made AMH scarce on purpose... it drove sales. same with RZ and now Alice. I don’t see anyone bitching about them.

Personally, I applauded their decisions. They were great business moves.

The LE market has been a proving ground for Stern. The SLE market even more so... both proving there’s no shortage of people looking to spend really big dollars on something that has a manufacturer controlled limited nature. Once those big dollars are spent, folks without big budgets are further priced out, whether it be by trim releases that are super limited in number or by rising prices on the most basic of models.

And when it comes to Stern LE’s... there are many instances where it sells out before even being seen. Why? Because it’s limited by numbers. People want the “special one” even if it’s really not that special.

We, the consumer, have allowed the market to develop like this. Every time there’s a mad dash for LEs, SLEs, and games that are otherwise limited or unique, it only has the marketing folks searching for dollars in more aggressive ways....and I can guarantee that Stern’s limited game release (this year) will sell out. It’s going to happen, I’m sure every distributer has waiting lists right now.

Personally, I’m not a huge fan of artificially collectible items. Rare collectibles that were never intended to be rare are more interesting to me. But I can’t blame companies for making collectibles. Kept the Franklin Mint in business for years and years. Stern and others are simply following the same playbook and keeping their manufacturing lines healthy.

#298 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Totally different kettle of fish.
    You’d have a valid comparison if Spooky charged $15,000 for AMH, and stuck a $4 1/150 plaque on it, and included a $2 “well done” certificate.
    As Jar says, Spooky set realistic goals for their small production.
    Whereas, Kapow are saying “we can make 10,000 of this, but we are only gonna make xxx amount, and we are gonna jack up the price so if you want one, you gotta pay this”
    Artificial scarcity. Same as other fake collector markets do. Remember, one of Sterns senior guys used to be in the baseball card business, if my memory serves me correctly.
    I for one will not be buying into it.
    Even K now realises that buying a BM66 SLE is moronic when you can get the exact same playing game for $6600 USD (that’s what I paid for my premium, “special” price)
    That’s $8400 cheaper. Enough to buy another new Pro and still have money left over.
    But as they say, one born every minute. If Kapow can take their money, good on em.
    I’m at the point in my life where I have absolutely no FOMO and if I don’t get the latest and greatest, I don’t give a shit. If I want to play it, I’ll go to someone else’s house and play it for nothing.
    rd

I see what you’re trying to say, but you’re to wrapped up in the dollars . Spooky could have said: we’re making 150 AMH now and reserve the right to make more later. Bit they didn’t. They created smartificial scarcity to sell the games by saying we’re only making 150 ever.... it’s the same thing. Kapow/Stern is going to create the same drive to sell their games, no matter what price, by creating scarcity backed by a promise to never produce something again. The mechanism works the same.

And this notion that someone will dump $8k on a limited version of a game... and then cry out for the common man when the same company offers a radically more expensive exclusively limited version of another game is laughable... LE buyers have set the table for this.

Is it the same? No. But it’s all interconnected and the LE and SLE buyer’s have opened the doors to more exclusively limited releases.

1 week later
    #327 5 years ago

I think it's time you guys consider a daily show... two hours...perhaps around 9AM Eastern Standard Time?

Fans demand more!

#329 5 years ago

2A4A6ADD-B386-4B38-A2C4-C440E1F5DA54 (resized).jpeg2A4A6ADD-B386-4B38-A2C4-C440E1F5DA54 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #342 5 years ago
    Quoted from gorgar007:

Going back to the Joe interview. He mentioned that pinball was easy just slap this and that together and Bam you have a flipping game.
    This is what I dislike the most about new games. Tired of seeing the same thing reused over and over. The same pop bumpers in the back corner with no real purpose for example. I think this is what we get when someone makes a pinball just because they can, not because they are passionate.

?? Plenty of companies throughout the history of pinball have reused layout elements. That ain’t nothing new!

3 weeks later
    #365 5 years ago

So Ryan, why the full on Kaneda ban?

#368 5 years ago

Fair enough!

1 week later
    #408 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

While I would agree the percentage is inflated I imagine it is relatively dominant assuming they are basing this off of current market share in the pinball world. IE number of Stern titled games VS the other brands in the wild. They did have close to 10 years of production with no viable competitors to reach some high statistic values. With that said the other numbers mentioned, with JJP in a stall this year with POTC do we really think they moved 2000 units or the other competitors which also were in a bit of a stall getting new products out this year? Basically a marketing spin but there is no denying Stern has the industry by the horns and with the recent bombshell title releases and frequency I suspect they want to keep it a Stern dominant market for some time.

Even with Pirates being released, how many OPs are paying $8.5k for that pin, when they can buy a new Stern for $5k? Can’t be a huge number.

Obviously we’ll have to wait and see, but Deeproot (assuming their pricing and production truly shocks the market) is the only one that could have the ability to target Stern in numbers. That’s not to say JJP and Spooky are legit, but they service niche segments.

2 weeks later
    #457 5 years ago

Gotta say, @martymainframe, was refreshing to hear your honest take on Iron Maiden. For me, that’s the biggest drawback on that game. I couldn’t have that in my home. Would drive me to crazy town

#464 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Call outs are perfect for the theme.
    Rules are perfect for the theme and layout (train & fight).
    All games can be repetitive...a pinball box is finite - but if it's unique & addicting & fun, that's all I want out of a great pinball machine.
    Why is there a Nintendo DS in your Champ pub?

Can’t agree more with this!

#466 5 years ago

Speaking of toys. Do you guys find it a little weird that the coolest interactive/mechanical features on a pinball machine are called “toys?”

Sounds so odd if you think about it. Even odder when you use that lingo with a non-pinhead. There’s gotta be a better term!!

#470 5 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Good point.................................................
    My vote is for Gimcrack ! WTF is that, lol
    whimwham is fun
    toy Synonyms
    toy
    n.
    Something designed for amusement
    game, plaything, pastime; see doll, game 1.
    Toys include: dolls, games, teddy bears, stuffed animals, rattles, puppets, kites, balls, toy weapons, blocks, puzzles, jacks, yo-yos, tops, skipping ropes, model cars, trains, planes, etc., bicycles, tricycles, roller skates, ice skates, rollerblades, marbles, skateboards, hobby horses, Legos (trademark), jack-in-the-box, hula hoop, Frisbee (trademark).
    Anything trivial
    foolishness, trifle, frippery, plaything, trinket, gadget, trumpery, stuff, triviality, bauble, knicknack, gimcrack*, whimwham*, gewgaw*; see also trinket.

Seems like "Mech" is a much cooler alternative.

#473 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Perhaps the problem is that you're not embracing the music enough. Instead of avoiding the music, crank it up a notch!
    Try Adjustments->Game->Music Attenuation = -25
    This rocks and gets rid of the annoying tendency at stock levels for the callouts to dampen the music.
    If that doesn't work for you after a solid try then Music Attenuation = 60 will remove the music from the equation whilst keeping the callouts and sound effects.
    It's got be loud too, like volume: 40 with an external sub loud.

Appreciate the sentiments, but you're obviously are missing the point. My ears say the band sucks. I literally want them out of ears.

2 weeks later
    #501 5 years ago

You guys need to track down one of the executives that actually had a hand in closing Williams pinball. We've heard all of the "pinball guys" from that era (and this Sharpe interview was a good one!), but I'd be curious to hear some commentary from one of the exes that was at the top of Williams. See how they viewed the pinball division, its innovativeness, competitiveness, and hear some of the behind the scenes stories about the folks that were pulling the strings.

#504 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The people who decided to shut it down didn't care about pinball, they cared about numbers. And even though Pin2k was the up-tick they demanded, they decided it didn't move the graph far enough and they cut the fat anyway.

They may have cared about pinball AND numbers... but numbers more. Who knows. There's still gotta be some interesting stories to be told from upper management

2 weeks later
    #519 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Episode 67 - Raymond Davidson: World’s best player
    http://www.head2headpinball.com/2018/10/29/episode-67-raymond-davidson-worlds-best-player/
    How Raymond Davidson got to number 1
    WPPR chasing
    Winning strategies
    WWE LE x 3
    Guardians Vs Metallica
    TWD pro Vs Premium/LE
    Star Wars enigma
    Points balancing
    Black Rose is the best
    AC/DC and Lyman layering
    Beatles Pinball reveal
    Oktoberfest price and Monkey
    Upper flipper geometry
    Stern going online ideas
    Slam the top Pinslam
    Breaking Bad Pinball
    Custom 50k Pinball machine
    Japanese weird pinball game
    Buffalo loves Pirates
    Quicksilver repro playfields!
    Wombats + Flinders Island
    Worst Tournament + PAX
    Super Nerd CERN Pinball
    We have a Patreon now if you want to be apart of that - https://www.patreon.com/head2headpinball
    Website - http://www.head2headpinball.com/
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/head2headpinball
    Insta - https://www.instagram.com/head2headpinball/
    Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/melbournesilverballleague
    ITunes - https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/head2head-pinball/id1263342244
    Email - [email protected]

I think this episode best illustrates why the casual player (aka 99% of the world's population) will always hold modern pinball as a distraction laced novelty that they'll play once or twice and then walk away from - you have the number one player in the world (seems like a really nice dude, btw) being asked about game rules, and a lot of the responses had "I don't know" or "I'm not sure" in them. IMO, these modern games are built too confusing. Most casuals and beginners can barely move beyond keeping the ball alive, let alone understand collecting points that are layered within code that's extremely difficult for experts to explain.

It's funny, you guys were asking about AC/DC. I've owned AC/DC for over 4 years and I still find myself having to dig for information about rules. Yes, the basics are there... but if I don't play the game for a period of months, it's super difficult to step up and remember some of the more nuanced rules. That's just not the case with my BW era games (most of the time).

Still a little confused how game designers and coders are qualified to play in tournaments where their games are used... especially these Sterns that have layers and layers of rules with small little rules hidden throughout... but that's a whole other story.

#521 5 years ago

I wasn't really referencing the small collecting/playing community... more or less talking about the vast majority of the public that come in contact with these machines. As a baseline, nearly all have no idea that pinball rules exist... and then, once they get the concept of rules associated with a game, they want to know where you can read them. Instruction card, right? As we all know, the instruction card might as well be in greek for the novice, not to mention the fact it only scratches the surface of the depth of rules. Once you start telling a casual that there are hidden layers of rules, total and utter confusion sets in.

Is it working?

I'm not sure. Pinball has certainly experienced some sort of revival, but it's unclear what's driving that. I don't think you can argue that game code and code complexity are what's attracting most coin drops to games. Home collectors and tournament players, yes. But collectors and players make up a fraction of the population that interacts with redemption machines, arcade games, pinballs, etc.

Your response actually opens an entirely different layer to this general topic, because I think there's a huge difference between what tournament minded players and most player/collectors (or just collectors) want or value in a game. You and Marty both fall into tournament player realm... so it's not surprising that you quickly move games from past eras. But I don't think that's the case for most collectors or play (but not in a competitive sense).

Anyhow, I actually think pinball has a much better chance of gaining wider acceptance by simplifying itself. That wouldn't satisfy the tournament player or the super savvy home collector, but it would allow the game to more easily integrate with the common arcade environment. In fact, if I were a pinball manufacturer, I'd hedge my bets on completely scraping what pinball has become... making machines that look very similar, but built completely around dispensing tickets for completing very basic and clearly defined tasks that are described on an LCD screen. If you created a scenario where games were bright, flashy, and mechanically inclined, laced with modern/popular themes... and they satisfied the need for instant gratification (giving tickets) while offering some level of skill that was attainable to the complete lay-person, I bet you'd see them more frequently played in family fun centers and on boardwalks.

Is that last notion completely anti-pinball as we know it? Hell yeah. But lets not forget, pins were built - for years - with the coin drop in mind. All of us crazies decided to collect them. I think a better modern version of pinball would revert back to the notion of trying to grab coin. It wouldn't satisfy us... but I think it would satisfy a much larger segment of the population.

#522 5 years ago

. Oops...

#524 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

1. Dudes that played when they where younger have nostalgia and enough money to buy the machines they loved in the 90s/80s. Then they buy the newer stuff
    2. JJP has Pindeption, and can give out tickets based on a time game with very simple objectives
    3. P3 Could do this as well
    4. Deeproot will save us all, surely?

For #2... yes. But their games aren’t truly built to serve the purpose of acting as redemption. It’s a forced modification on a game that’s made for idiots like you and I.

Ask yourself... if you wanted to build a thriving business that was designed to make money (which the coinop business is built around). Are you making redemption machines that typical suck in $1k every few weeks for operators... or are you opting to fall on your sword to make pinball for a very narrow audience of home collectors and a smattering of operators.

It’s hard to deny that a hybrid version of pinball could actually make money beyond being a curiosity or novelty.

That’s what I would go for, fwiw

#526 5 years ago
    Quoted from SarcasticHorse:

Loved the discussion about callouts not changing with playfield multipliers in Stern games. My#1 frustration with Star Wars and Ghostbusters. WH2O is how to do this right. Music gets more exciting as you progress and you get a Wet Willy scream with the 5x jackpot. So satisfying.

Wh2o is one of the great sound packages of all time.

#532 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bruce_Pickle:

Damn, I honesty couldn't listen to the whole Kaminkow interview. Felt like I had a bible basher at the front door of my mind listening to him!
    I'm pretty keen to have a go on the machine though, looks way more fun than the new Star Wars for me (and I hate the Beatles with a passion)

I had the same reaction... and ended up skipping a good chunk of the interview.

1 month later
    #569 5 years ago

Interesting interview. A little awkward at times, but some interesting nuggets. Kind of reminded me of this, which will make no sense to H2H, but:

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 1.04.19 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-12-11 at 1.04.19 PM (resized).png

#572 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Yeah I got. No idea what that means.
    Does that mean I love lyman? Because yes I love lyman

You’re not alone - every pinhead loves Lyman

1 month later
    #608 5 years ago

That TWIPY dismissal was weird, gentlemen.

“What they’re meant to do is celebrate pinball... but like everything in life, that’s not always what happens.”

How did that not happen last year? That TWIPY show was a super entertaining celebration of pinball.... the SDTM guys rocked it and TWIP deserves hats off for pulling together a fantastic idea.

I don’t get the dismissive stance. Kind of awkward for category winners that actually win and take some pride in it. As far as I can tell, last year’s awards were spot on across the board. It was nice to see the community have a chance to recognize and thank those that bring top-notch entertainment to the space.

#615 5 years ago

Can someone send me CF’s address so I can mail him a box of tissues? The guy is constantly bitching and crying about one critique or another. It’s a total downer listening to his interviews... geesh.

How about privately reaching out to Taylor and explain your process to him. He’s a solid guy. If he doesn’t understand, help him understand.

#621 5 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I haven't listened to this episode yet but when people are saying Taylor are they meaning Taylor from This Flippin Podcast?

Save your time. It's not worth listening to... at what point it was deemed worthy of broadcasting out to the world? I don't understand why it was considered a good idea to post.

But, yes, it's Taylor Reese, who has a great reputation. Frankly, his opinion is spot-on.

#626 5 years ago

Yup. Well said, swinks.

#636 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

No. I called him to make Marty laugh. Full stop.

Opinions are all over the map on this. Each to the their own. IMO, not a good choice.

#644 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

people really are addicted to drama more than anything. It's pretty sad actually.

Like this? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-listen-to-pinball-podcasts/page/2#post-4725948

At the end of the day, you're getting the attention you want, but you can't always send your message and then turn around and deflect as if you're totally middle ground. As for Franchi... you guys should have helped the guy out and told him it wasn't a great idea to air that bit. That's not censorship, it's actually more like friendship. Would have certainly been doing him a professional favor.

2 weeks later
    #671 5 years ago

You guys have gotten your panties in so much of a wad over Kaneda, it's kind of disturbing. I certainly know your conversation wasn't about the fact that voters might not have played every game on the ballot.

Kaneda is flawed... but aren't we all in our own ways?

There's a ton of fun pinball content out there – he just happens to have a singularly unique approach/style/spin. It's like Simon on those talent shows - people appreciate brutal honesty and it just so happens that Chris has the personality to pull that off. That's probably why he's deserving of some recognition. It's just a slice of really unique entertainment. Emphasis: entertainment.

I've never been a big fan of groups collectively deciding to shun someone. It's a real turnoff. It would be way easier if you take the opposite approach and extend a friendly hand – all of you (including Jeff). It's the right thing to do. This kind of vibe you have going isn't good for anyone, no matter what the past is. It's much easier to forgive and forget... take away from that and try to forge something positive. You can keep someone at arm's length and still be friendly, btw. That's a way better option than the path all of you have chosen to take.

2 years later
    #878 2 years ago

Great listen… thanks for the morning smiles. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/head2head-pinball-podcast-new-australian-podcast?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.