Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 881 posts
  • 142 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 days ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ep 124 - Xmas 2 (resized).jpg
    20210101_002806 (resized).jpg
    Ep 123 Xmas Cheer (resized).png
    IMG_0400 (resized).jpg
    H2Hfinal-1024x576 (resized).png
    images (resized).jpg
    Ep122sm (resized).png
    Episode 121sm (resized).png
    ep120sm (resized).png
    ep119sm (resized).png
    ep118sm (resized).png
    ep117sm (resized).png
    ep116sm (resized).png
    Ep 115sm (resized).png
    Screenshot 2019-10-29 10.12.54 (resized).png
    E3D71462-0153-4890-A19E-432B82747B0E (resized).png

There are 881 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 18.
    #251 3 years ago

Ryan and Marty: Seriously. Thank you for these incredible podcasts... your interviews are on point and insightful... and the banter is excellent.

Dare I say: The New Gold Standard?

I think I just did.

You guys are great.

Best, Todd

#252 3 years ago

Sly was hilarious! Thanks guys.

#253 3 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Thanks for including me! Will always be up for an interview once first volume publishes! (in just a month) Todd

Todd Tuckey future guest confirmed!

Quoted from 27dnast:

Ryan and Marty: Seriously. Thank you for these incredible podcasts... your interviews are on point and insightful... and the banter is excellent.
    Dare I say: The New Gold Standard?
    I think I just did.
    You guys are great.
    Best, Todd

We still really enjoy doing it. Well I do because I don't have to edit anything
    Gold Standard? no way. We are the Hydrofoil standard.

Quoted from solarvalue:

Sly was hilarious! Thanks guys.

Can't believe he got back to me so quickly after I messaged him. Top guy.

#254 3 years ago

Another great interview - thanks! As a new owner of a Houdini, I especially enjoyed hearing Josh's insights on the game. I may be in the minority here, but I'm really looking forward to AP's Oktoberfest game too!

#255 3 years ago

another great podcast, that Stallone interview was a killer, was in stitches especially the shells

#256 3 years ago

Ok.

Episode 49 clues.
    Not sure if this is easy or hard!

clue 1 (resized).jpgclue 2 (resized).jpgclue 3 (resized).jpg
    #257 3 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Ok.
    Episode 49 clues.
    Not sure if this is easy or hard!

So...

Something, something, and cheaters?

#258 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

So...
    Something, something, and cheaters?

I wish I knew how to reply but I know nothing about American Football! I just know what this team is called
    Can I interest you in the weird sport we play here? Just the last 2 minutes of a game played yesterday here in Melbourne -

#259 3 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

I wish I knew how to reply but I know nothing about American Football! I just know what this team is called
    Can I interest you in the weird sport we play here? Just the last 2 minutes of a game played yesterday here in Melbourne -

I like it! I bet those games are a ton of fun to attend

#260 3 years ago

pasted_image (resized).png

#261 3 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Go Roos!

Interesting - Australian football looks like a mix of rugby and soccer.

#262 3 years ago

***Ep 49****

FACEBOOK (resized).jpg

Gabe from Pintastic joins us to talk about what it takes to run one of the biggest pinball events of the year + we talk about what we think is in store of the 2nd half of the year

http://www.head2headpinball.com/2018/06/25/episode-49-gabe-from-pintastic-mid-year-projections

Pintastic origins
    Being different to other shows
    Innovating at shows
    Ron Hallet trash talk
    Episode 50 giveaway <-- email us at [email protected] to enter
    Iron Maiden first impressions
    Dutch Go Fund Me (don't)
    Alice in Wonderland pinball
    Machines coming out this year
    Top 10 Limited edition machines
    Slam the top 100
    Rosstown miracle
    Houdini impressions
    Enterprise Amok

#263 3 years ago

Thank you Head to Head! It was great talking to you guys. People don't understand the countless hours that go into planning a event of this magnitude. After listening to this interview I hope they get a better feel for what is invaulved and what it takes to keep inovation each year to make a better show experience for everyone. See you all at the show Gabe

#264 3 years ago

Thanks for coming on the show gab

So I was doing some math.

Iron Maiden announced officially March 27
    204 days between then and start of expo
    102 days from march 27th
    is July 7th
    I am guessing they will give IMDN more time since it is a stronger older theme....but we are pretty close to the middle now!

#265 3 years ago

It would be cool to get the next announcement soon so we could hope for something at Pinball Expo. If it doesn't happen in the next couple of weeks, I doubt timing will work out well for that.

#266 3 years ago

Glad to hear Marty enjoyed his time on Houdini - it's a great pin! And not to worry Ryan C - the women giggling sound can be easily turned off or replaced with another provided option in the game adjustments.

#267 3 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Thanks for coming on the show gab
    So I was doing some math.
    Iron Maiden announced officially March 27
    204 days between then and start of expo
    102 days from march 27th
    is July 7th
    I am guessing they will give IMDN more time since it is a stronger older theme....but we are pretty close to the middle now!

When you guys had Keith on and mentioned you wouldn't get IMDN in Australia until the first week of July, he said something like, "By the time you get the 'new' game, it's not even going to be the newest game." Not that he has any control over the release schedule, but it would match up with your timeline.

#268 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

the women giggling sound can be easily turned off or replaced with another provided option in the game adjustments.

Yup, It can be changed in settings, like lots of others aspects of the sounds. The giggling is far more noticeable on streams than when you play the game live, not sure why, but every stream I watch it really stands out, but when I play it, it fits with everything else.

#269 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Yup, It can be changed in settings, like lots of others aspects of the sounds. The giggling is far more noticeable on streams than when you play the game live, not sure why, but every stream I watch it really stands out, but when I play it, it fits with everything else.

Yeah I think martins snowball microphone will give preference to things that sound like speech. Good to know it can be changed or disabled though!

Quoted from speederice:

When you guys had Keith on and mentioned you wouldn't get IMDN in Australia until the first week of July, he said something like, "By the time you get the 'new' game, it's not even going to be the newest game." Not that he has any control over the release schedule, but it would match up with your timeline.

I think he was just joking around with this comment.

Quoted from jar155:

It would be cool to get the next announcement soon so we could hope for something at Pinball Expo. If it doesn't happen in the next couple of weeks, I doubt timing will work out well for that.

I doubt their next title could be as popular as IMDN has been. I am guessing like GOTG it will be top new of an IP to sell out right away.

I talked to some smarter people than me and they said there is no way Stern would announce anything atm they are just too backlogged with orders for IMDN.

Like you said. I guess this potentially messes up their schedule for their other pins.

#270 3 years ago

Boom! Episode 50!
    It has been great fun recording 50 episodes in 50 weeks

We where luckily enough to be joined by Joe Kaminkow who talked about his career in pinball and some up and coming projects.
    We thank you all for the great feedback and emails throughout the week.

http://www.head2headpinball.com/2018/07/02/episode-50-joe-kaminkow-from-kapow-pinball

EP50 (resized).jpg

How Joe got started
    Working at Data East
    Licensing in the 80s
    Pinball wars
    80s work ethic
    Batman 66
    The next Kapow title
    Super LE
    Pinstadiums at Pinburgh
    MBR tease
    CPR announcement
    Dennis Nordman
    New Hobbit code
    Hexagon has left the building
    Steve Bowden gets Deeprooted
    Slam the top podcaster
    Slam the top 100
    3 tournaments 1 week
    Martin buys pinball?
    Martin on Eclectic
    Comp winner
    Tee swag
    I love you bro

#271 3 years ago

Sounds to me like the Beatles are coming!

#272 3 years ago

Yes, and they will sell out due to limited production and will never be remade - apparently.

beatles-files-1964-a-sign-showing-beatles-concert-sold-out-for-november-B3NKNP (resized).jpg
    #273 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Sounds to me like the Beatles are coming!

Yeah, came here to say this. Apparently everybody get in line for Beatles — although one comment he made about it made it sound like it’ll be simple & oldschool which might not land like he’s hoping.

#274 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Yes, and they will DJell out due to limited production and will never be remade - apparently.

I think you could safely say there would be a lot of units though. Maybe close to 2000 of them even if they where limited. I am guessing 3 models as well

#275 3 years ago

I really, really hate this "we're not going to make enough for everybody" tactic. I feel like Stern has been building up good will lately, but this is a total dick move. Artificial scarcity is something we could probably do without in pinball.

#276 3 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I really, really hate this "we're not going to make enough for everybody" tactic. I feel like Stern has been building up good will lately, but this is a total dick move. Artificial scarcity is something we could probably do without in pinball.

Yeah, seems like a terrible thing to do - if it's really as great as Joe makes it out to be. I can understand the license being a limited time/single run so there'd no chance of a vault, but Stern is in the business of making money. They should make as many as they can in the window they're given, if they're selling.

#277 3 years ago

I have no problem with them doing high-end versions. It fills a niche. I hope it will be along the lines of Batman 66 though, where there is a high-end as well as one available for everyone else at a usual premium price.

#278 3 years ago

Just having a high-end version doesn't make sense from a profitablity standpoint. They always make more in volume than in exclusivity. Also, considering the cost of the license they will have to sell a ton to make it up. Hard to be a cornerstone of you only have 25 games

#279 3 years ago

Oh my! The hype!

But will It really be The Beatles? That would be disappointing right? Are we really waiting for that all our lives? And would that specific license be that expensive?!

He was also really specific pointing out that Munsters will have their anniversary in January and the new game will be shown in January. Might that be a coincidence?

#280 3 years ago
    Quoted from Koos:

Oh my! The hype!
    But will It really be The Beatles? That would be disappointing right? Are we really waiting for that all our lives? And would that specific license be that expensive?!
    He was also really specific pointing out that Munsters will have their anniversary in January and the new game will be shown in January. Might that be a coincidence?

Beatles license is super expensive and difficult to attain. The Munsters is likely neither expensive or that difficult.

It was confirmed a while back that someone did get the Beatles license and given the cost, I doubt it’s getting shelved or sat on for an extended period.

My money is on the Beatles!

#281 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

My money is on the Beatles!

That's an evergreen theme if there ever was one. Just like Elvis, it has to be great and super collectible.

#282 3 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Maybe close to 2000 of them even if they where limited. I am guessing 3 models as well

Perhaps 1964 total run?

First US LP released Jan of that year.
    First trip to US, Feb 7th.
    55th anniversary 2019.

Hmm...

#283 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whitenoise3000:

I have no problem with them doing high-end versions. It fills a niche. I hope it will be along the lines of Batman 66 though, where there is a high-end as well as one available for everyone else at a usual premium price.

Unfortunately, the BM66 Premium hasn't been offered at the usual price. One of the reasons it took me a while to justify purchasing one.

#284 3 years ago

cool interview again guys, got me wondering about a licence that everyone would love. Tough to find a single them that everyone would love but James Bond would be a cool theme as 25th movie to be released in 2019 - would be awesome to have a game that could work in the all 25 games into one, complete in order, villains, girls, gadgets, weapons

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/james-bond-producers-set-25th-007-film-for-2019-200353/

#285 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

cool interview again guys, got me wondering about a licence that everyone would love. Tough to find a single them that everyone would love but James Bond would be a cool theme as 25th movie to be released in 2019 - would be awesome to have a game that could work in the all 25 games into one, complete in order, villains, girls, gadgets, weapons
    https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/james-bond-producers-set-25th-007-film-for-2019-200353/

Remember there is no SLOT machine for this pin, they offered 50mil for the slot license and they where turned down.
    Google James bond slots, they exist.

#286 3 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Remember there is no SLOT machine for this pin, they offered 50mil for the slot license and they where turned down.

yeah, forgot that one .....

#287 3 years ago

If you google 'The Beatles' slot machine on the other hand.....
    "Everyone would love" is a sales pitch line obviously. We all have different taste in pinball machines and themes. I predict a pinside meltdown then it is release. It will be the best game ever and the worst game ever at the same time.

#288 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whitenoise3000:

The problem is that their "high-end" machines are built just like every other machine. There's nothing "high-end" about it other than their sticker price and the artificial scarcity they create. They're taking a page right out of Supreme's business model.

#289 3 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

The problem is that their "high-end" machines are built just like every other machine. There's nothing "high-end" about it other than their sticker price and the artificial scarcity they create. They're taking a page right out of Supreme's business model.

but if someone values that fake scarcity and pays, then it's worth pursing. A company would be foolish not to... it's not an operator's market anymore. They have to get creative and buyers have shown time and time again they're willing to pay. Like it or not, this is the market that buyers have supported.

#290 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

but if someone values that fake scarcity and pays, then it's worth pursing. A company would be foolish not to... it's not an operator's market anymore. They have to get creative and buyers have shown time and time again they're willing to pay. Like it or not, this is the market that buyers have supported.

I prefer that companies don't be dicks to their customers, but that's JUST ME, apparently. KaPow sucks. Get them out of here. The moment Joe K. returned to pinball many people saw some sort of shenanigans coming. I think it took all of 30 seconds for some industry vets to weigh in with some sideways comments about the guy. Artificial scarcity is a total jerking around of customers. Joe made it very clear in the interview that the game's scarcity will be intentional, and he's actually happy and proud about that. What a guy!

#291 3 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Joe made it very clear in the interview that the game's scarcity will be intentional, and he's actually happy and proud about that. What a guy!

I don’t know much about Joe but let’s acknowledge that all modern manufacturers are manufacturing scarcity to a degree.
    If we can’t, then we don’t know Jack.

#292 3 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I prefer that companies don't be dicks to their customers, but that's JUST ME, apparently. KaPow sucks. Get them out of here. The moment Joe K. returned to pinball many people saw some sort of shenanigans coming. I think it took all of 30 seconds for some industry vets to weigh in with some sideways comments about the guy. Artificial scarcity is a total jerking around of customers. Joe made it very clear in the interview that the game's scarcity will be intentional, and he's actually happy and proud about that. What a guy!

Didn’t you buy a GBLE????

#293 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Didn’t you buy a GBLE????

There's a difference between the different trim levels on a game and just making the game overall scarce on purpose. You can buy an LE, but it doesn't give you anything more than the premium other than art and finish. With the Beatles, they're just going to make fewer of everything, just to cause a constraint. The LE over a pro or premium stuff is opt in by choice, because you can always buy the premium on the open-ended run, but limiting the run to create a collectible aspect to it is toying with consumers. They're essentially forcing you to buy it right away or miss out.

And why do they care about an inflated secondary market? It's purely an ego thing so Joe can thump his chest and say, "well MY game goes for $2,000 more than MSRP a year later. Isn't that neat?"

The SLE was pretty dumb with Batman, but the LE and Premium were there, so it was still an opt in luxury choice. Doesn't seem like there's any option for the common collector here. I would hope they would reverse that an offer a premium model that has reasonable access to it.

#294 3 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

There's a difference between the different trim levels on a game and just making the game overall scarce on purpose. You can buy an LE, but it doesn't give you anything more than the premium other than art and finish. With the Beatles, they're just going to make fewer of everything, just to cause a constraint. The LE over a pro or premium stuff is opt in by choice, because you can always buy the premium on the open-ended run, but limiting the run to create a collectible aspect to it is toying with consumers. They're essentially forcing you to buy it right away or miss out.
    And why do they care about an inflated secondary market? It's purely an ego thing so Joe can thump his chest and say, "well MY game goes for $2,000 more than MSRP a year later. Isn't that neat?"
    The SLE was pretty dumb with Batman, but the LE and Premium were there, so it was still an opt in luxury choice. Doesn't seem like there's any option for the common collector here. I would hope they would reverse that an offer a premium model that has reasonable access to it.

Spooky made AMH scarce on purpose... it drove sales. same with RZ and now Alice. I don’t see anyone bitching about them.

Personally, I applauded their decisions. They were great business moves.

The LE market has been a proving ground for Stern. The SLE market even more so... both proving there’s no shortage of people looking to spend really big dollars on something that has a manufacturer controlled limited nature. Once those big dollars are spent, folks without big budgets are further priced out, whether it be by trim releases that are super limited in number or by rising prices on the most basic of models.

And when it comes to Stern LE’s... there are many instances where it sells out before even being seen. Why? Because it’s limited by numbers. People want the “special one” even if it’s really not that special.

We, the consumer, have allowed the market to develop like this. Every time there’s a mad dash for LEs, SLEs, and games that are otherwise limited or unique, it only has the marketing folks searching for dollars in more aggressive ways....and I can guarantee that Stern’s limited game release (this year) will sell out. It’s going to happen, I’m sure every distributer has waiting lists right now.

Personally, I’m not a huge fan of artificially collectible items. Rare collectibles that were never intended to be rare are more interesting to me. But I can’t blame companies for making collectibles. Kept the Franklin Mint in business for years and years. Stern and others are simply following the same playbook and keeping their manufacturing lines healthy.

#295 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Spooky made AMH scarce on purpose... it drove sales. same with RZ and now Alice. I don’t see anyone bitching about them.

Their production numbers are totally dependent on what they can make and deliver within the time period they're aiming for. They don't want people waiting beyond a certain amount of time to get their games. TNA is their only open ended run game, but I have to imagine they'll start putting holds on taking orders when the queue gets longer than they're comfortable with.

Quoted from 27dnast:

And when it comes to Stern LE’s... there are many instances where it sells out before even being seen. Why? Because it’s limited by numbers. People want the “special one” even if it’s really not that special.

We, the consumer, have allowed the market to develop like this. Every time there’s a mad dash for LEs, SLEs, and games that are otherwise limited or unique, it only has the marketing folks searching for dollars in more aggressive ways....and I can guarantee that Stern’s limited game release (this year) will sell out. It’s going to happen, I’m sure every distributer has waiting lists right now.

This is all still different than LE/SLE stuff. Joe's comments make it clear that they're artificially constraining the availability of the game as a whole. That's lame. The SLE on B66 was sort of dumb, but it didn't put anybody out. This inevitably will.

#296 3 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Yikes!!

#297 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Spooky made AMH scarce on purpose... it drove sales. same with RZ and now Alice. I don’t see anyone bitching about them

Totally different kettle of fish.

You’d have a valid comparison if Spooky charged $15,000 for AMH, and stuck a $4 1/150 plaque on it, and included a $2 “well done” certificate.

As Jar says, Spooky set realistic goals for their small production.

Whereas, Kapow are saying “we can make 10,000 of this, but we are only gonna make xxx amount, and we are gonna jack up the price so if you want one, you gotta pay this”

Artificial scarcity. Same as other fake collector markets do. Remember, one of Sterns senior guys used to be in the baseball card business, if my memory serves me correctly.

I for one will not be buying into it.

Even K now realises that buying a BM66 SLE is moronic when you can get the exact same playing game for $6600 USD (that’s what I paid for my premium, “special” price)

That’s $8400 cheaper. Enough to buy another new Pro and still have money left over.

But as they say, one born every minute. If Kapow can take their money, good on em.

I’m at the point in my life where I have absolutely no FOMO and if I don’t get the latest and greatest, I don’t give a shit. If I want to play it, I’ll go to someone else’s house and play it for nothing.

rd

#298 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Totally different kettle of fish.
    You’d have a valid comparison if Spooky charged $15,000 for AMH, and stuck a $4 1/150 plaque on it, and included a $2 “well done” certificate.
    As Jar says, Spooky set realistic goals for their small production.
    Whereas, Kapow are saying “we can make 10,000 of this, but we are only gonna make xxx amount, and we are gonna jack up the price so if you want one, you gotta pay this”
    Artificial scarcity. Same as other fake collector markets do. Remember, one of Sterns senior guys used to be in the baseball card business, if my memory serves me correctly.
    I for one will not be buying into it.
    Even K now realises that buying a BM66 SLE is moronic when you can get the exact same playing game for $6600 USD (that’s what I paid for my premium, “special” price)
    That’s $8400 cheaper. Enough to buy another new Pro and still have money left over.
    But as they say, one born every minute. If Kapow can take their money, good on em.
    I’m at the point in my life where I have absolutely no FOMO and if I don’t get the latest and greatest, I don’t give a shit. If I want to play it, I’ll go to someone else’s house and play it for nothing.
    rd

I see what you’re trying to say, but you’re to wrapped up in the dollars . Spooky could have said: we’re making 150 AMH now and reserve the right to make more later. Bit they didn’t. They created smartificial scarcity to sell the games by saying we’re only making 150 ever.... it’s the same thing. Kapow/Stern is going to create the same drive to sell their games, no matter what price, by creating scarcity backed by a promise to never produce something again. The mechanism works the same.

And this notion that someone will dump $8k on a limited version of a game... and then cry out for the common man when the same company offers a radically more expensive exclusively limited version of another game is laughable... LE buyers have set the table for this.

Is it the same? No. But it’s all interconnected and the LE and SLE buyer’s have opened the doors to more exclusively limited releases.

#299 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I see what you’re trying to say, but you’re too wrapped up in the dollars . Spooky could have said: we’re making 150 AMH now and reserve the right to make more later. Bit they didn’t. They created smartificial scarcity to sell the games by saying we’re only making 150 ever.... it’s the same things

Yep, it is sorta the same thing, in that there was a finite amount of games. Spooky felt they needed to do that to move their first game. Plus they wanted to wrap that up and move on to game #2. So they capped it and said “that’s it, we need to sell these, so we are gonna only make 150 of them and move on” and away they went.

It’s just the way Kapow is doing it that rubs people up the wrong way. Total marketing scheme derived in the boardroom from day one.

And that’s cool. It’s a valid marketing scheme used by 100s of companies to maximise their profits. Look no further than Supreme.

However it’s not something that I’m buying into. Good luck and best wishes to all that do.

rd

#300 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Because they are not even comparable situations.

Spooky limiting amh was needed to even make the project happen. Limiting the next games was to set expectations for time tables and windows of availability. Spooky is doing it more for practical purposes.... stern is doing it to justify a price point.

There are 881 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside