(Topic ID: 194246)

Head2Head Podcast - **New episodes every Year**

By FalconPunch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15278909-E480-408B-88DB-129D599C0A36 (resized).jpeg
    5D76AC6B-56E9-4076-96EA-7A311C4A18F5 (resized).jpeg
    Ep 124 - Xmas 2 (resized).jpg
    20210101_002806 (resized).jpg
    Ep 123 Xmas Cheer (resized).png
    IMG_0400 (resized).jpg
    H2Hfinal-1024x576 (resized).png
    images (resized).jpg
    Ep122sm (resized).png
    Episode 121sm (resized).png
    ep120sm (resized).png
    ep119sm (resized).png
    ep118sm (resized).png
    ep117sm (resized).png
    ep116sm (resized).png
    Ep 115sm (resized).png
    There are 890 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 18.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Haha. That was literally 20 seconds before I shut the conversation down.

Your pointy-flipper rage in action!

If you ever get a chance, I'd say take a look at the playfields. Just from a geometry standpoint, they are pretty interesting (to varying degrees). Even though they are all single-level, I'd say each street level game is laid out in a way that various parts of the field feel segmented out, with Title Fight probably being the most pronounced with three very different layout styles within the same game. Plus two games (Title Fight and Deadly Weapon) did that Game Plan tactic of putting a pop bumper where you'd normally expect a sling. But most of the layouts have pretty unique looks (Silver Slugger is probably the most conventional).

Of course, I'm just talking geometry. The PAPA guide lists Deadly Weapon, Title Fight, and Vegas as too easily exploited for good competitive play (Deadly Weapon due to the mystery award being way too unbalanced, the other two have high-value shots that are very easy to repeat). But not much to be done about that.

Anyway, I'd really love to see another single-level game with a highly creative layout. I think TNA shows that interest exists for such games, at least from time to time.

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

He is on the list. Still working through the backlog of all this old episodes. They are like goldmines of information. He knew SO MUCH when interviewing someone I think I still need to learn a lot more before we can interview him.
    Would people want to hear from the 2 biggest distributors in Australia? They have been around for 30 years so lots of stories to tell .

Yes, that would be great to hear from them. Even some that are no longer in the business if they can be tracked down. Also Nino from Australian Pinball Restorations. What about Wade Krause and Mirco? Kevin and Mike from CPR?

#153 5 years ago

hay i am the Biggest Distributor in the World, Weight Wise

#154 5 years ago

Cameron Silver - for a homegrown success story.

From Timezone Arcade Australia to Bally Williams pinball USA.

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Cameron Silver - for a homegrown success story.
    From Timezone Arcade Australia to Bally Williams pinball USA.

Yep. Organised for him to come on a while ago and he didn't rock up to the interview unfortunately.

#156 5 years ago

****Ep 42*******

Short exclusive super legit Andrew Heighway interview + we chat about the latest 2 stern titles to be leaked, Superman 1978 and Beetlejuice. We also talk to the Pinball Party Bus guys!

Listen here - http://www.head2headpinball.com/2018/05/07/episode-42-exclusive-andrew-heighway-interview-stern-superman-1978-beetlejuice

Andrew Heighway exclusive interview
    Heighway Pinball discussion
    John Popaduik
    How to avoid pinball drama
    JJP Wonka + Toy Story
    MMR big screen
    Stern Beetlejuice
    Stern Superman 1978
    Ripe Tide Podcast + Silverballers
    Pinball Party Bus interview
    Pinside Petey
    Slam the top 100
    Iron Maiden LE Vs Pro
    Martin 2nd = 1st
    Balancing LOTR
    Big Buck Hunter pinball
    1st Hate mail
    Screaming child retraction
    Pirates competition

Website - http://www.head2headpinball.com/
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/head2headpinball
    Insta - https://www.instagram.com/head2headpinball/
    Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/melbournesilverballleague
    ITunes - https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/head2head-pinball/id1263342244
    Email - [email protected]

FACEBOOK (resized).jpgFACEBOOK (resized).jpg

#157 5 years ago

Nothing wrong with pinball drama when appropriate and I don't know why anyone would consciously choose to avoid it particularly as it seems to go hand in hand with the underlying machinations and commercial backroom deals of the pinball hobby.

Forewarned is forearmed after all.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Nothing wrong with pinball drama when appropriate and I don't know why anyone would consciously choose to avoid it particularly as it seems to go hand in hand with the underlying machinations and commercial backroom deals of the pinball hobby.
    Forewarned is forearmed after all.

You need to smile more
    Try laughing once in a while
    Maybe have a drink
    Take the edge off
    I give you a 7

- Pinside Pete 2018

#159 5 years ago

I had to comment on this... Beetlejuice was a huge hit and 78 million for 1988 was a lot of money in the box office... If you don't know what you are talking about don't talk out of your behinds... Batman, was one of the movies that really exploded the box office... And it was beetlejuice that primed Burton for that job. And what got keaton it too... THink about the original star wars... It's first run was around 300 million... That was in 77... Not too far removed from the current box office standards and that was the biggest smash hit... Well since Jaws... But, again it was Jaws that primed Star Wars... So YES. Beetlejuice was a really big hit, a big deal... Not a cult movie, and had a kids tv show... You may know pinball, but you don't know film... Just admit what you don't know... Or you got a computer look it up... Van Damme was a box office draw and most of his 80s and early 90s films only made around 15-25 million... And he was a huge, huge star... Jeez.

#160 5 years ago

And Superman was an insane hit... Again, don't cherry pick box office figures without the context. Not just inflation, but ticket prices were much cheaper back in the day. Superman was one of the biggest hits of that year... Same with Superman II... Yes, it didn't get the return of the first one... But, it still was an iconic and top grosser for that year as well. Obviously you guys are not movie buffs. And I don't think you understand the appeal of Christopher Reeve as Superman, or even how the last two of his films while being stinkers, he still was iconic... I remember the day I heard about his injury... It was huge devastating news. I was in Elementary school in an assembly. A kid told me Superman was paralyzed. And it was national news... And to many, many people he WAS SUPERMAN.

#161 5 years ago

I do apologize... I don't know why I got so cheesed off at you guys... You're pinheads not movie buffs... I'm sorry. But, yes Beetlejuice wasn't a cult film. It was a huge hit. Back in the day, only a handful of movies grossed over 100 million. There were less tentpole movies. Now, you have multiple tentpole films released in the same month sometimes the same week, other times just a week apart... That never happened. It would be 4 films to see in the summer... That kind of stuff. Just a bit of knowing your source material... But, I was an angry jerk. I am sorry.

#162 5 years ago

Don't worry man. Pretty obvious that I'm not a movie buff these days but, being the age I am, I lived through those movies too back when I was only into going to the cinema (to play pins too of course). Both amazing films and yes they were successful too.

My point was that I think Superman still has a great brand and mass appeal. Beetlejuice less so but would make a beautiful looking pin.

#163 5 years ago

Wonder if it’s Beetlejuice 1 or 2?

#164 5 years ago

Guys. Everyone. You really need to take a step back and read between the lines. Please.

Could it be, that obtaining a license is defensive business tactic. Could it be a smoke screen for all we know. Or a specific ambition for a game designer. Or simply what is affordable in relation to how well recognised and desirable a movie (for staying at movie licenses) is.

Sure, there are hugh international 80's classics, bigger than say Beetlejuice. But if it was a free pick and choose, don't you think we would have seen Die Hard, Back to the Future and Top Gun pinball machines already.

You know, it would not surprise me, if the Ghostbusters license was infact too expensive and difficult, in relation to how well received that game turned out to be.

The theatrical box office is irrelevant for a movies value now a days. Both in terms of price to acquire and appeal in a game.

And speaking of smoke screens, I'll tell you. Steve Richie is not making a Black Knight game. Let alone a two level playfield design. Come on.

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

You need to smile more
    Try laughing once in a while
    Maybe have a drink
    Take the edge off
    I give you a 7
    - Pinside Pete 2018

As long as you aren't suggesting pineapple juice as the beverage choice. We have enough XXXXL matching black tshirt wearing drones as a result down here as it is.

I give you a middle of the road 5 for always taking the path of least resistance and being the sheep rather than a shepherd of the local scene.

That's why K man gets the vox pop for best podcast despite being banished from the biggest pinball forum on the planet.

P-insanity.

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

As long as you aren't suggesting pineapple juice as the beverage choice. We have enough XXXXL matching black tshirt wearing drones as a result down here as it is.
    I give you a middle of the road 5 for always taking the path of least resistance and being the sheep rather than a shepherd of the local scene.
    That's why K man gets the vox pop for best podcast despite being banished from the biggest pinball forum on the planet.
    P-insanity.

At the end of the day we aren't getting paid for anything. So we will say whatever we want to say and do whatever we want to do.

If you love kaneda because he has a hard on for drama then unsub and just listen to him.

It's not how I like to spend my free time. Your posts won't change my interests so unless you enjoy trolling then you might as well stop.

#167 5 years ago

There you go fellas, some more hate mail, the floodgates are open now.

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

At the end of the day we aren't getting paid for anything. So we will say whatever we want to say and do whatever we want to do.
    If you love kaneda because he has a hard on for drama then unsub and just listen to him.
    It's not how I like to spend my free time. Your posts won't change my interests so unless you enjoy trolling then you might as well stop.

I enjoy listening to Kaneda because he isn't constrained by forum politics with his subject matter.

I explained that to you from the beginning.

At the same time though it makes logical sense for any prudent person to keep his ear to the ground on what is being broadcasted locally at the coalface.

I never even implied you were getting paid but thanks for clarifying publicly anyway. Down here though, hierarchical based politics tends to carry higher currency value than actual money. Weird huh?

Quoted from solarvalue:

There you go fellas, some more hate mail, the floodgates are open now.

Not to worry your tshirt is in the mail, I'm sure.

#169 5 years ago

Rather than raw performance of dollars, it might be best to sort movies by U.S. box office performance.

Superman (1978): 3rd highest (#2 Animal House and #1 Grease)
    Superman II (1980): 2nd highest (#1 was Empire Strikes Back)
    Beetlejuice (1988): 11th highest (not listing all the others, #3 was Coming to America, #2 was Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and #1 was Rain Man)

For comparison, Ghostbusters was the #1 box office film in 1984.

So, I personally wouldn't consider Beetlejuice a huge hit at threatres given it didn't make the top 10 for the year (whereas the first two Superman films were both theatrical behemoths), though whether it is a cult classic depends on your definition (I tend to associate cult classics with being box office bombs, which Beetlejuice definitely was not, it was successful as 11th is still a very good rank, but I do think it gained more acceptance after home release).

I can't even remember if I saw it in theatres as a kid. I liked it. Weird movie. Saw the cartoon some, but I don't think it ever hooked me and I did not regularly watch it.

On topic, would I want to see Beetlejuice as a pin? It's not a theme that I feel strongly about, but I think it would be easy to program a story around. Superman I would be more interested in, though I have a lot more experience watching Superman II and would prefer the theme to use the first two movies (they are closely tied together, and I think having General Zod as an adversary in the game is too good to ignore). Three and four I wouldn't even reference, though.

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

I enjoy listening to Kaneda because he isn't constrained by forum politics with his subject matter.

Kaneda's podcast is a raging dumpster fire of negativity and outright bullshit. We'd all be better off if it would smolder and die.

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Beetlejuice (1988): 11th highest (not listing all the others, #3 was Coming to America, #2 was Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and #1 was Rain Man)
    For comparison, Ghostbusters was the #1 box office film in 1984.
    So, I personally wouldn't consider Beetlejuice a huge hit at threatres given it didn't make the top 10 for the year (whereas the first two Superman films were both theatrical behemoths), though whether it is a cult classic depends on your definition (I tend to associate cult classics with being box office bombs, which Beetlejuice definitely was not, it was successful as 11th is still a very good rank, but I do think it gained more acceptance after home release).
    I can't even remember if I saw it in theatres as a kid. I liked it. Weird movie. Saw the cartoon some, but I don't think it ever hooked me and I did not regularly watch it.
    On topic, would I want to see Beetlejuice as a pin? It's not a theme that I feel strongly about, but I think it would be easy to program a story around. Superman I would be more interested in, though I have a lot more experience watching Superman II and would prefer the theme to use the first two movies (they are closely tied together, and I think having General Zod as an adversary in the game is too good to ignore). Three and four I wouldn't even reference, though.

No one's has even started a thread on beetlejuice on pinside and the superman one is over 100 posts in. That's another sign!

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Kaneda's podcast is a raging dumpster fire of negativity and outright bullshit. We'd all be better off if it would smolder and die.

Hmmm ... I'm sensing you're not a fan.

Seems like Ryan C isn't happy with Kaneda lately either. I enjoy listening to him overall, but he does have a tendency to get overly dramatic and beat dead horses (Andrew Heighway currently).

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I enjoy listening to him overall, but he does have a tendency to get overly dramatic and beat dead horses (Andrew Heighway currently).

Can't really blame Kaneda for the ad nauseum Heighwayman topic.

He was one of the more prominent figures who maintained a level of scepticism about Mr Hydrofoil and voiced that opinion publicly from the beginning despite anyone saying anything that was less than fawning admiration being an extremely unpopular position at the time.

Funny how those persons who go outside the safety net status quo and do their own independent due diligence about some wannabe pinball startups are so often vilified in the short term, but turn out to be vindicated in the long run.

#174 5 years ago

Beetlejuice is probably one of those rumors to go catch a mole

#175 5 years ago

****Ep 43*******

Huge interview with Jeremy Packer AKA Zombie Yeti on Iron Maiden + much more!

Listen here - http://www.head2headpinball.com/2018/05/14/episode-43-zombie-yeti-jeremy-packer-interview-on-iron-maiden

Zombie Yeti name origins
    Artist work ethic
    Iron Maiden Art
    Iron Maiden assets
    Iron Maiden Premium art
    Iron Maiden topper
    Ghostbusters art
    ZY's next game
    Lessons from Magic Girl and JPOP
    Alien Stream + 59 Billion lost Dongs
    Split cabs + Code updates
    Beef Jerky + Pinball = $$$
    Norbit's 2 day course
    Pinball Arcade lost B/W license
    Slam the top 100
    3.5k to 50k machines
    Eurovision
    Mailbag + Pirates winner

#176 5 years ago

Don't forget to vote for Transformers.

#177 5 years ago

GREAT interview, man you guys continue to put out one amazing episode after the other! Thank you for making my commute to work that much more interesting, I like listening so much I don’t even mind being stuck in traffic!

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from Martymainframe:

Don't forget to vote for Transformers.

Low.

#179 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Yep. Organised for him to come on a while ago and he didn't rock up to the interview unfortunately.

Any chance it might happen again sometime in the future?

#180 5 years ago

The only thing I didn't like about Jeremy's interview was when he was making answers shorter. Ramble on, man! Those are the kind of stories/details pinheads want.

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Any chance it might happen again sometime in the future?

How many times do you try before you feel like an idiot Right now I am at about 3 times with no answer. I will try and find someone that knows him to put the pressure on.

Quoted from epthegeek:

The only thing I didn't like about Jeremy's interview was when he was making answers shorter. Ramble on, man! Those are the kind of stories/details pinheads want.

Me: So did your name come from Plants Vs Zombies?
    ZY: Well to make a long story short.......7 mins later.....It's because I don't shave and I walk around like a zombie

#182 5 years ago

****Ep 44*******

Interesting interview with Michael Bowyer who is the owner of AMD, Australia's ONLY Stern distributor. Find out which machines sold well and which bombed!

There where some small audio issues on Martins end on everything but the interview due to a skype issue, Sorry, won't happen again!

Listen here - http://www.head2headpinball.com/2018/05/21/episode-44-michael-bowyer-from-amd-sterns-only-australian-distributor

Lou Ferrigno is a...
    Dutch Pinball lawsuit
    John Trudeau arrested
    Supreme Pinball 10k for 200
    CGC game #3
    Heighway Playboy footage
    Michael from AMD interview
    Home/operator ratio
    AU Iron Maiden success
    Tron Vault Edition
    JJP influence on Stern
    Slam the top 100
    Cooly Classic / RTRv2
    NYC championship stream
    Ryan buys new machine
    SDTM IM stream
    Mailbag

photo_2018-05-21_23-02-24 (resized).jpgphoto_2018-05-21_23-02-24 (resized).jpg

#183 5 years ago

I consider your interviews the main course of the podcast and prefer it when you start with them instead of the news. Since I'm a regular on Pinside and TWIP there isn't much you can tell me beyond your own opinions of the news that I haven't already heard. That's why the interviews are GOLD - unique content. Also, two thumbs up for Slam the Top 100, kudos for maintaining a weekly pace, and thanks for the occasional Australian slang lessons. Cheers!

Budgie_Smugglers_Back (resized).jpgBudgie_Smugglers_Back (resized).jpg

#184 5 years ago

We love the interviews too. Especially as we really don't know how they will go and usually end up being a great chat with ALOT of new information. Appreciate the feedback, the order will depend on when we think we can record them and how much news is happening at the time. But understand that they have now become the focus for alot of people.

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from balt:

I consider your interviews the main course of the podcast and prefer it when you start with them instead of the news. Since I'm a regular on Pinside and TWIP there isn't much you can tell me beyond your own opinions of the news that I haven't already heard. That's why the interviews are GOLD - unique content. Also, two thumbs up for Slam the Top 100, kudos for maintaining a weekly pace, and thanks for the occasional Australian slang lessons. Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback.
    We usually put the interview at the start and not sure why we changed it up this week. I think its because we didn't think he was going to last as long as it did, and prefer to insert the smaller 20~30 minute interviews in the middle.
    Aussie Slang might be coming back next week but we are running out of terms!

#186 5 years ago

Hmmm, the 40/40/20 - LE/Prem/Pro rule for domestic sales. Interesting.

Doesn't take a mathematician to work out total sales when LE numbers are preallocated from Chicago.

From 77 ACDC LE in 2012 to 33 GBLE to 18 Batman LE in 2016. AS was in the teens in 2017 and GOTG sold "less than expectations." Maybe we need a year on year sales bar chart?

RRP goes up, sales go down but profit per unit increases and simultaneously implement a sales strategy to kill off the operator market segment entirely.

95/5 Home buyers/Ops sales ratio and no one sees where this is heading long term?

If it ain't broke don't fix it - say it again for the record. SMH.

Quoted from FalconPunch:

Aussie Slang might be coming back next week but we are running out of terms!

Banana republic - Used by then Federal Treasurer Keating as a warning for the future of an industry when too much unwarranted importance is placed on one segment of the market resulting in its overall demise.

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

AU Iron Maiden success
    Tron Vault Edition
    JJP influence on Stern

What did they say about TRON LE?

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from LoveNeverDiesGuy:

What did they say about TRON LE?

Just that Tron is the not-in-production game they get requests for the most.

#189 5 years ago

Am I the only one who can't get this to load? The MP3 downloads as 0 KB.

#190 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

I do apologize... I don't know why I got so cheesed off at you guys...

Roid Rage?

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

Am I the only one who can't get this to load? The MP3 downloads as 0 KB.

I am never able to replicate these issues, but I just tried then and its downloading fine.

#192 5 years ago

Huh, working for me too now. Must have been an anomaly.

#193 5 years ago

Marty's audio was a bit distorted this time around. Great episode though, super interesting interview with the Australian distributor. Thanks guys, keep it up! Edit: Saw the distortion was known and mentioned already in the show notes, sorry!

#194 5 years ago
    Quoted from andre060:

Marty's audio was a bit distorted this time around. Great episode though, super interesting interview with the Australian distributor. Thanks guys, keep it up! Edit: Saw the distortion was known and mentioned already in the show notes, sorry!

Yes unfortunately it recorded the audio from my webcam not my headset mic. Only realised after we had finished recording, I was gutted when I started editing. Mistake never to be made again.

#195 5 years ago
    Quoted from Martymainframe:

Yes unfortunately it recorded the audio from my webcam not my headset mic. Only realised after we had finished recording, I was gutted when I started editing. Mistake never to be made again.

Marty, I thought you were unwell and recording from the dunny

Great show guys,
    Love your work

Top call on the QS Ryza, Played that one alot, super cool
    Nice one

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Marty, I thought you were unwell and recording from the dunny

Definitely sounds like it.

#197 5 years ago

We have decided like colorDMD that we would be super annoying and tease people about the upcoming interview with confusing hints.

Ep45...

images (18) (resized).jpegimages (18) (resized).jpeg

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

We have decided like colorDMD that we would be super annoying and tease people about the upcoming interview with confusing hints.
    Ep45...

It'll be another good one, that's for sure! I won't give it away

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

It'll be another good one, that's for sure! I won't give it away

Yeah it's pretty easy to some but 3 people have messaged me with wrong guesses.
    One of them being Hugo Weaving hahaha.

#200 5 years ago

Are we allowed to guess? Is it someone from Pinnovating?

There are 890 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/head2head-pinball-podcast-new-australian-podcast/page/4?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.