(Topic ID: 194246)

Head2Head Podcast - **New episodes every Year**

By FalconPunch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15278909-E480-408B-88DB-129D599C0A36 (resized).jpeg
    5D76AC6B-56E9-4076-96EA-7A311C4A18F5 (resized).jpeg
    Ep 124 - Xmas 2 (resized).jpg
    20210101_002806 (resized).jpg
    Ep 123 Xmas Cheer (resized).png
    IMG_0400 (resized).jpg
    H2Hfinal-1024x576 (resized).png
    images (resized).jpg
    Ep122sm (resized).png
    Episode 121sm (resized).png
    ep120sm (resized).png
    ep119sm (resized).png
    ep118sm (resized).png
    ep117sm (resized).png
    ep116sm (resized).png
    Ep 115sm (resized).png

There are 890 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 18.
    #551 5 years ago

I think you all mentioned some rules for the flip frenzy you came up with - is that posted anywhere? These are becoming really popular now that it's supported in MatchPlay

#552 5 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

I think you all mentioned some rules for the flip frenzy you came up with - is that posted anywhere? These are becoming really popular now that it's supported in MatchPlay

In this episode?
    I was talking more about the way Buffalo pinball ran it. You have qualifying as Flip frenzy....2.5 hours or how ever long you want. And then Finals for top 8 or 4?

Might ruin the fun of flip frenzy though. If the top top players don't want to be involved because they might not win then that is OK!
    This is the last one I ran - https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=27448
    So may unrated players, I could never get that many to a normal tournament

#553 5 years ago

Someone sent me a bag of jizz........

#554 5 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

Hi Gene!

We mentioned the new rules that IFPA NZ/Aus came up with .. they are pasted below. These were tweaks on the original format, tweaked to try and eliminate any collusion or 1 ball games, and to have a uniform model for everyone to use.

Ryan also mentioned the concept of running a finals after the flip frenzy (the top X qualify) - as he said, one issue with Flip Frenzy is that the best player doesn’t necessarily win, the luck of the draw can come into it. Which I guess is good for the lesser players ...

Here’s those new rules:

FLIP FRENZY GUIDELINES

The Flip Frenzy is a timed tournament. Frenzys are generally run for 3 hours, providing hours of non-stop pinball action.

The idea is to play as many games of pinball as possible, and to have the best win/loss record at the end of the competition!

First up - each machine is randomly assigned to two players. Players must play a proper competitive 3 (or 5) ball game of pinball to find a winner.

When a game is completed:

- Both players are to go to the desk to report the result, without any delay. The winner scores a WIN and the loser scores a LOSS.

Regardless of the result:

- The player who was Player 2 in the game stays at the desk, and goes to the back of the queue to await their next game assignment.

- The player who was Player 1 in the game returns to the same machine with the player from the front of the queue. The new player will be PLAYER 1 in the new game, and the returning player is Player 2.

- After that game, the process is repeated - results are reported, P2 goes to the rear of the queue, and P1 returns to the same game to play as Player 2 in the new game.

Other Rules:

- Players who are absent from the queue when their name is called are to be credited with a loss, and placed at the back of the queue.

- All Frenzy games must be played in a competitive spirit. Any collusion in results (ie 1 ball games) will result in disqualification from the event.

- A player is free to end their ball if they think they have enough points to win, or plunge a ball if they want to concede. However, all balls must be played and the game must be in GAME OVER state when the players leave the game. Turning a machine on/off to end a game is not allowed.

- Extra balls at the discretion of the organisers. Options:
    1/ play all extra balls
    2/ extra balls should be "skillfully plunged" - ie you can line up a skill shot etc, but no attempts to flip the ball are allowed.

- At the end of the 3 hours, no more games may start.

- Standings are to be based on net wins (i.e. wins - losses = your score) The best score at the end of the competition is the winner.

Cheers!
    Dave

#555 5 years ago

rotordave sweet yes this is what I think you all were referencing. Have had fun playing this format over the years and glad it's way more easy to run now! Thanks!

#556 5 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

rotordave sweet yes this is what I think you all were referencing. Have had fun playing this format over the years and glad it's way more easy to run now! Thanks!

I just ran a test FF tournament on Matchplay - it’s awesome!!

Makes things so much easier.

If you see Andreas please thank him for his efforts!

rd

#557 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

If you see Andreas please thank him for his efforts!

will do!!!

#558 5 years ago

Episode 71

Chris Granner is responsible for the sounds in some of the best pinball machines ever made including Addams Family, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings and WOZ. He's also great to talk to. Enjoy.

http://www.head2headpinball.com/2018/11/26/episode-71-chris-granner-pinball-sound-mastermind/

Right place at the right time
    Williams employees
    How to create a music theme for Pinball
    Connecting shots to sounds
    Original Theme VS License
    Chris Vs Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Addams Family call outs
    Pinsound board
    Working at Capcom
    LOTR sounds
    Deep voices in 90s games
    Why Chris left Pinball
    Primus Pinball
    New JJP code
    Slam Tilt Podcast
    Twerpys
    Social Media watch
    Slam the top 100
    Flipout 2018
    HardQuiz on Pinball
    Metallica 1.80 update
    Quicksilver x 2
    A great WPPRtunity

We have a Patreon now if you want to be apart of that - https://www.patreon.com/head2headpinball

Website - http://www.head2headpinball.com/
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/head2headpinball
    Insta - https://www.instagram.com/head2headpinball/
    Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/melbournesilverballleague
    ITunes - https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/head2head-pinball/id1263342244
    Email - [email protected]
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRcFnn5ixTkqh9v7NtGPRQw <--- NEW!!!!

ep71 - Chris Granner (resized).jpgep71 - Chris Granner (resized).jpg
    #559 5 years ago

Great interview David Thiel sees all and knows all. Lots of good stories shared and some corroborate what I’ve heard before, but this time from inside the room.

#560 5 years ago

Thanks, Chris was great. So much energy. When he was describing the sounds in Fish Tales my mind automatically visualised the ball flowing on the playfield with the shots he was emulating.

Couple of links. 2018 TWERPYS will be closing soon - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1BLkS6jIMX0nJSBbABYYt5p-Yt48kuS7HC-w4Yrq42xs/

Vote for the greatest Poll we have ever done. Roger Sharpe's Mo - https://www.facebook.com/head2headpinball/posts/1539085042860846

A listener on the show was on TV this week on a Quiz show about Pinball and we live streamed it! - https://www.facebook.com/head2headpinball/videos/981362668714300

There is still time to let me win PinSlam with out awesome argument that Embryon is too wide. - https://www.facebook.com/head2headpinball/posts/1537573516345332

#561 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

David Thiel sees all and knows all

huh?

#562 5 years ago

A huge Episode 72 is here

http://www.head2headpinball.com/2018/12/03/episode-72-jack-guarnieri-from-jjp-and-dr-john

We are joined by:
    Jack Guarnieri from JJP
    Roger Sharpe
    Dr John Cosson and
    Stacey B

Dr John on national TV
    KISS update finally!
    Todd Tuckey book drama
    Munsters Leaked Pics!
    Flipout 2018
    New Mafia production numbers
    Magic Girl sold!
    Wraith Pinball From Haggis Pinball
    Jack Guarnieri interview
    IFPA WPPR 5.5 changes
    Roger Sharpe Mo' tell all interview
    Pinball Jizz
    Smith Journal https://www.smithjournal.com.au/blogs/life/3332-is-pinball-making-a-comeback?fbclid=IwAR0-g_5Z7TBO--RAF94SWJyOEPdOxYYzBPpj0nOL-40aFtrsUvi7InIifz4 <-- CLICK HERE!
    Jeffree Star Stream 1  - Stream 2
    Beatles Buffalo Stream - Stern Stream
    Slam the Pinslam 200
    Flipout Tournament Finals 1  - Finals 2 - Qualifying
    Saved by the Pins
    LW3 sucks 

#563 5 years ago

Monday!

5449671578_5ff315f964_b (resized).jpg5449671578_5ff315f964_b (resized).jpg
    #564 5 years ago

Great, looking forward to Lyman. Any luck getting Clay Harrell on the show?

#565 5 years ago

I think there is an issue with the link to Ep 72.

#566 5 years ago
    Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

I think there is an issue with the link to Ep 72.

No issues on my end. Just tried off the website.
    Messaged Clay, no response. He is very techy though... Might be better for Slam tilt!

#567 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Great, looking forward to Lyman. Any luck getting Clay Harrell on the show?

https://creditdotpinball.com/2014/04/22/people-the-cult-of-clay-harrell/

#568 5 years ago

LYMAN SHEATS!

http://www.head2headpinball.com/2018/12/11/episode-73-inside-the-mind-of-lyman-sheats/

Lyman updates in 2018
    Interesting modes Vs Boring
    Batman 66
    Changing code after a game is out
    Metallica and AC/DC
    Coding around the layout
    Multiball Vs single ball modes
    Multipliers
    Wizard modes
    Influence of tournament players
    Iron Man update?
    Lyman's next game
    Filtering feedback
    The rest of the show...

I apologise for any editing issues, I had to do it this time. And at the end after the Lyman interview there was audio popping and balancing issues.

EP73 Lyman Sheats (resized).jpgEP73 Lyman Sheats (resized).jpg
    #569 5 years ago

Interesting interview. A little awkward at times, but some interesting nuggets. Kind of reminded me of this, which will make no sense to H2H, but:

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 1.04.19 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-12-11 at 1.04.19 PM (resized).png

#570 5 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Interesting interview. A little awkward at times, but some interesting nuggets. Kind of reminded me of this, which will make no sense to H2H, but:
    [quoted image]

Yeah I got. No idea what that means.
    Does that mean I love lyman? Because yes I love lyman

#571 5 years ago

Great interview!

Intriguing AC/DC info.

And interesting to hear about the victory laps in AFM.

#572 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Yeah I got. No idea what that means.
    Does that mean I love lyman? Because yes I love lyman

You’re not alone - every pinhead loves Lyman

#573 5 years ago

Great episode!

Excellent interview, it was really interesting to "get inside" Lyman's head regarding how he approaches the monumental task of coding brilliant games. He has certainly had an incredibly positive impact on pinball over the years.

I also really enjoyed hearing from Chantel(?) too - hilarious! Claims not to be a pinhead but is far more familiar with the big names and even games than many collectors. She certainly keeps you grounded, doesn't she? lol. Ryan you two are a force of nature, I see where your daughter gets her character from.

Thanks again, I enjoyed every minute of that one.

#574 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Great episode!
    Excellent interview, it was really interesting to "get inside" Lyman's head regarding how he approaches the monumental task of coding brilliant games. He has certainly had an incredibly positive impact on pinball over the years.
    I also really enjoyed hearing from Chantel(?) too - hilarious! Claims not to be a pinhead but is far more familiar with the big names and even games than many collectors. She certainly keeps you grounded, doesn't she? lol. Ryan you two are a force of nature, I see where your daughter gets her character from.
    Thanks again, I enjoyed every minute of that one.

A second upvote for Chantel. She reminds me of every wife who dislikes pinball, but SHE is witty about it. Without a doubt, she's the better half. Ryan C's daughter is pretty funny also and when asked, is not shy about voicing her opinion. To an Alien visiting Earth, she might be considered the brains of the operation.

#575 5 years ago

Thanks guys.
    It's Chanel. Like the perfume old ladies wear.
    She will punch you all in the balls if you call her Chantel

It's was good fun recording with her
    This is her at the last pinball event I dragged her too

Screenshot_20181213-100646_Telegram (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181213-100646_Telegram (resized).jpg
    #576 5 years ago

The Fifth Element, cause that shit is mad, son! Lelu Dallas multipass for the win!

#577 5 years ago

EPISODE 74 - ZACH SHARPE reveals ALL of Stern's secrets (he doesn't)

http://www.head2headpinball.com/2018/12/17/episode-74---zach-sharpe-reveals-sterns-secrets/

Sterns new website
    Beatles Pinball
    Stern Pinball reveals
    Rumours and leaks
    Primus Vs Supreme
    Code Updates
    Stern's next games
    Brian Edy interview
    Medieval Madness Radcals
    Frankenstein ColorDMD
    Who is Ghost?
    TWERPYs 2018
    Martin Silverball Stream
    Flip Frenzy at Paradise
    Pincade in NZ 2019
    Chanel Feedback
    Martin wants Munsters?
    Head2Head break
    zach-sharpe-stern-podcast (resized).jpgzach-sharpe-stern-podcast (resized).jpg

#578 5 years ago

Aw poor Virgil

20181219_103739 (resized).jpg20181219_103739 (resized).jpg
    #579 5 years ago

funny episode especially the Twerpy's

#580 5 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Aw poor Virgil
    [quoted image]

Hard to believe that only 9 months ago it was being touted to international members on pinside from supposedly unbiased local reviews as being one step away from perfection.
    AA shill (resized).pngAA shill (resized).png

#581 5 years ago

Yeah the outcome is disappointing. Certainly exaggerated by poor PR.

I thought the game played quite well apart from the center ramp.and I did not like the flipper buttons'

Mostly I appreciated the build quality.
    All the hardware and electronics are sound and well designed .

With the new center ramp and some improved code the game could be really good.

Oh and I take offense to what you named the photo,, Knob jockey !

#582 5 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

funny episode especially the Twerpy's

Given the landslide results, it certainly is telling about segments of the Aussie/NZ pinball scene when a machine has to be released onto a Northern Hemisphere international stage in order to get honest reviews and feedback not influenced by local forum politics and their at that time pecuniary interests.

Good thing it is so easy to spot local shills on pinside and write off their opinions as centred around misguided forum loyalty and therefore worthless.

2 weeks later
    #583 5 years ago

Forgot to post this from 2 days ago

Episode 75: 2019 A New Hope

http://www.head2headpinball.com/2019/01/08/episode-75-2019-a-new-hope/

More Munsters rumours
    Stern@CES
    Code!!!
    Jeffree Star streaming
    Jack Black @ PHOF
    Tournaments!
    Twipys
    2018 Exit survey ------------------> DO IT ---------------> https://goo.gl/forms/DztXwX1uFzG8LNBF3
    2018 highlights
    Social Media Watch
    Bally vs Stern – face off
    This Week
    WOZ woes
    IMDN prepares to go
    Shadow love
    Zombo

ryanmirror (resized).pngryanmirror (resized).png
    #584 5 years ago

I didn’t get the gist as to why MSR is getting rid of his IMDN LE

#585 5 years ago

Don't ask questions just buy it!!

I am guessing the advantage would be having a new machine to stream every week,

#587 5 years ago

G'day mates! Just listened to the latest episode. Marty's 2018 show recap, while impressive, smacked of obvious TWIPY campaigning as pointed out by noneless than Ryan C. himself.

Head2Head does a great job, and as such, is one of my go to pinball podcasts. However, until you guys get off your high horse and acknowledge Kaneda's podcast (as well as any of numerous compliments sent to you via Pinside.), my TWIPY vote will continue to go to Chris for podcast of the year. Thanks!

#588 5 years ago

It was mentioned on another podcast (I think Pinball Profile?) that Chris was insulting Marty on his own show after he appeared on H2H, so that probably has something to do with it.

#589 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

G'day mates! Just listened to the latest episode. Marty's 2018 show recap, while impressive, smacked of obvious TWIPY campaigning as pointed out by noneless than Ryan C. himself.
    Head2Head does a great job, and as such, is one of my go to pinball podcasts.

Please vote for whoever you want as the award means nothing to me. What does podcast of the year mean anyway? The Twipys are an internet popularity contest that has no bearing on quality and happiness of the hobby to me.

Enjoy whatever podcast you want my friend, but please don't tell me to do something for you for a vote I could not care less about.

#590 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Please vote for whoever you want as the award means nothing to me. What does podcast of the year mean anyway? The Twipys are an internet popularity contest that has no bearing on quality and happiness of the hobby to me.
    Enjoy whatever podcast you want my friend, but please don't tell me to do something for you for a vote I could not care less about.

That’s a classy answer. Going the above it all route: A real sly meta way to garner TWIPY votes...

Jk I know you mean it. But you got my vote nonetheless because it truly is a great show you put out, and I just want to somehow show my appreciation for it. Well I guess I could write an email or submit a Patreon subscription, but that sounds like a lot of work. Keep up the great job guys!

#591 5 years ago

It is nothing against Jeff and TWIP. I appreciate everything he does.
    I just think the awards are designed to be a celebration of pinball but as per Tuna's post they can end up being the opposite.

#592 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Head2Head does a great job, and as such, is one of my go to pinball podcasts. However, until you guys get off your high horse and acknowledge Kaneda's podcast (as well as any of numerous compliments sent to you via Pinside.), my TWIPY vote will continue to go to Chris for podcast of the year. Thanks!

Poor Special K neeeeeeds the validation. If Kaneda does a podcast 3 times a week and no other podcasts mention him, is it real?

“So the drama!”

#593 5 years ago

I voted for Ron and Bruce because they are stopping the regular episodes and besides, you guys stole all their best bits! LOL...

#594 5 years ago

Yeah not fun to steal now.
    Next episode ... 4 fast thoughts.

#595 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Yeah not fun to steal now.
    Next episode ... 4 fast thoughts.

Only if Chanel introduces it!

#596 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Please vote for whoever you want as the award means nothing to me. The Twipys are an internet popularity contest that has no bearing on quality and happiness of the hobby to me.

I really can’t understand why you would say something like this...
    Of course you don’t make the podcasts purely for receiving a plastic piece of a trophy. But that trophy represents the acknowledgment of your listereners for all the hard work you put into this.
    You had my vote because I imagined this would be a great achievement and recognition for all the hard work you guys put into this last year, but I made the effort to change my vote.

I think other podcasters would be proud to receive a TWIPY award so I went and changed my vote. I was already a bit on the fence voting for either you guys or the guys over at Special when Lit and now I hope they will win and also appreciate receiving the award.

#597 5 years ago

You see your post and Tuna's post ( more so his ) is a reminder of why I don't put any value on it.

You thought we had the 'best' podcast . But now you have put a condition on it because I said it doesn't mean anything to me. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the podcast in 2018.

I'm sure there are 100s or 1000s of people who will put their own set of conditions or who haven't even listened to any podcasts as evident by the other thread on pinside.

I appreciate anyone who listens. I can see the numbers, I get the emails. I don't need anything else from you. We have never been knocked back an interview because we didn't have a TWIPY.

I am only speaking for myself. Martin is gagging for any awards he can stick on his massive trophy shelf.

#598 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

You see your post and Tuna's post ( more so his ) is a reminder of why I don't put any value on it.
    You thought we had the 'best' podcast . But now you have put a condition on it because I said it doesn't mean anything to me. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the podcast in 2018.
    I'm sure there are 100s or 1000s of people who will put their own set of conditions or who haven't even listened to any podcasts as evident by the other thread on pinside.
    I appreciate anyone who listens. I can see the numbers, I get the emails. I don't need anything else from you. We have never been knocked back an interview because we didn't have a TWIPY.
    I am only speaking for myself. Martin is gagging for any awards he can stick on his massive trophy shelf.

Whoa, we wanna see @martymainframe's trophy shelf! Perhaps a topic for eps 76 or 77? Keep up the awesome work you guys do - there are LOTS of us that appreciate the hard work that goes into creating a quality podcast.

#599 5 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

But now you have put a condition on it

I think that's normal. When you have several favorites of something (bands, artists, movies, TV-shows, ...) and HAVE to pick just one as the very best, you have to put criteria into the mix. Otherwise you can never pick just one. And yes; if I know that my #1 doesn't appreciate the award at all, I'd might rather give it to my #2.

Quoted from FalconPunch:

I appreciate anyone who listens. I can see the numbers, I get the emails.

Fair point, I wasn't really aware of this. Do all podcasts apps get the content from the same source file?
    Also I do understand your point now that an awards can be popularity over quality. But I still wouldn't mind receiving an award as a compliment if I were you.

Quoted from FalconPunch:

Well then I hope that if you win a TWIPY you won't throw it away in the trash and let Martin put it up on his shelf then.

#600 5 years ago

All podcasters collect stats differently. So none of them are really accurate unless everyone is using the same software.
    What I am saying is that in 2018 our listener base grew and grew and grew and we are just comparing it too ourselves.

The emails I'm talking about are just people that email as tell us they appreciate the show

There are 890 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/head2head-pinball-podcast-new-australian-podcast/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.