Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BENETNATH
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

werkbank (resized).JPG
    router (resized).jpg
    hotairgun (resized).jpg
    drillingmachine (resized).jpg
    grinder (resized).jpg
    circlesaw (resized).jpg
    Tragespuren (resized).jpg
    Schrank (resized).jpg
    Aufgeräumt (resized).jpg
    NeuerRaum (resized).JPG
    20200128_182253 (resized).jpg
    20200128_182237 (resized).jpg
    20200128_182206 (resized).jpg
    Engel2 (resized).jpg
    Dämon (resized).jpg
    Lackieren (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

A while ago, we started to build a custom head2head pinball machine. Both playfields are standard size with identical layout and slightly different artwork. Everything is playable and we will bring it to the Dutch Pinball Open in November. Some pictures are attached.

IMG_20180425_215507.jpgIMG_20180425_215507.jpgIMG_20180522_215541.jpgIMG_20180522_215541.jpgIMG_20180529_211517.jpgIMG_20180529_211517.jpgIMG_20180807_211056.jpgIMG_20180807_211056.jpgIMG_20180815_212819.jpgIMG_20180815_212819.jpg
    #2 5 years ago

That's crazy cool....

#3 5 years ago

Awesome! How do you even transport that behemoth!?

Looks like you need to clear the playfield too??

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Awesome! How do you even transport that behemoth!?
    Looks like you need to clear the playfield too??

You can separate the cabinets in the middle and transport them like two separate machines. Backbox can obviously also be disassembled.

The playfield is still a prototype. Micro did the wood and the inserts. We just put a vinyl sticker on top. For the final version we will ask mirco to redo the playfield and then print and clear it. There will be a few (like 20) minor changes but nothing notable to the player. We applied the sticker in this version because printing on wood and coating are by far the most expensive steps while producing playfields.

IMG_20180418_171436.jpgIMG_20180418_171436.jpg
    1 month later
    #5 5 years ago

Here is a video we made during a test game for DPO:

Music and sfx turned down because we couldn't hear them after too many test games. One of the LED strips on the good side needs a fix. In general everything is working fine.

#6 5 years ago

So what are the general goals of the game?

#7 5 years ago

The general goal is to keep your lifes or better to make your opponent loose all his lives. You can loose lifes by draining balls (even in multiball). To win you can shoot balls over to the other side to make it harder for your opponent not to drain.

Deadflip stream is here: https://twitch.tv/videos/334153324

#8 5 years ago

Today we noticed that the jam switch on the evil side went flanky. That caused some wrong ball counts. Disabled it for now. Let's hope that the trough will not jam too often.

#9 5 years ago

The gameplay video is also up on Youtube:

1 week later
    #10 5 years ago

awesome job, just added to the Homebrew index thread

#11 5 years ago

VS Pinball is a fantastic idea, congratulations on bringing this project to life ! I really like how you can send more balls to the opponent and get him to drain, it's the type of gameplay that reminds me of battle tetris where stacking some lines on one side sends some random bricks on the other side.

#12 5 years ago

This looks pretty cool!

I still dont get why there are balls in that left metal "ramp" dropping into the outlane and draining, even during attract mode.

Hard to tell what is going on, looks REALLY fun though!

#13 5 years ago

Chitownpinball the machine needs to balance balls between the two troughs somehow. That's why some balls are shor to the outlane of the other side. Those do not count as drained balls. They are just ball balancing.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

chitownpinball the machine needs to balance balls between the two troughs somehow. That's why some balls are shor to the outlane of the other side. Those do not count as drained balls. They are just ball balancing.

Neat!

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

chitownpinball the machine needs to balance balls between the two troughs somehow. That's why some balls are shor to the outlane of the other side. Those do not count as drained balls. They are just ball balancing.

Awesome stuff! Was wondering about the possibility of the balls all ending up on one side, guess that answers it. How many balls do you have in there?

#16 5 years ago

Usually 12-14 balls (both throughs support up to 7 balls). Per side, you can lock up to three balls and one will stay in the feeder for most of the time.

Jan

3 months later
    #17 5 years ago

Hi there,

I will try to give your some more information, what we are doing on this machine in the future.

At the Moment we are solving just little things:

First we have a new place to build this machine. It is a cellar with 70 m². So that is so much space that I am thinking of buying a new machine just for playing

We changed also some cables in the cabinet and connected the lights of the start button.

To avoid that the ball can lie down between both playfields, I created a kind of barrier. This is made within a few steps:

1. Create a CAD:
    Barriere (resized).JPGBarriere (resized).JPG

2. Print it on paper to see if it fits.

3. Use a online service to laser it:
    BarriereRL (resized).JPGBarriereRL (resized).JPG

4. Install it:
    BarriereEingebaut (resized).JPGBarriereEingebaut (resized).JPG

I guess it look pretty nice, because it is so clear that you nearly don't recognize it.

I hope some of you are interested. Best regards
    Philipp
    BarriereEingebaut (resized).JPGBarriereEingebaut (resized).JPGBarriereEingebaut (resized).JPGBarriereEingebaut (resized).JPG

8 months later
    #18 4 years ago

Hey,

José del Nido made some illustration for us.

I created now new graphics for our cabinet and new scorecards too.

If you want to know more about José, please have a look at his site: http://josedelnido.com/

I really love his artwork and it was fun to work with him.

It was really a long time since I wrote here, but I want to do better in the future

KabinettGvE (resized).JPGKabinettGvE (resized).JPGScoreCards (resized).JPGScoreCards (resized).JPG
    1 month later
    #19 4 years ago

We move forward slowly

We want to pimp our playfield a little. At the moment they have a sticker only.

So two cans of paint and silicone remover are bought.

By now I was at my print shop of trust. They also print directly on wood, so I think about approaching it as follows:

1. Only remove the parts of the playfields and sand them again (sandpaper and a grinder are now also bought)
    2. Then print directly on wood. For this I will do a trial print in advance. Then we can see if the quality is good enough or if we have to prime or have to paint before
    3. Then paint with the cans or, depending on the price, give it to a paint shop.

Hopefully some more news before next year

Lackieren (resized).JPGLackieren (resized).JPG
    1 month later
    #20 4 years ago

Jason Rowlett (http://www.jrowlettdesign.com/) creates action figures. Here is his try to convert our pixel graphics in real action figures.

Dämon (resized).jpgDämon (resized).jpgEngel2 (resized).jpgEngel2 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #21 4 years ago

Now we printed directly on wood without priming or sanding. The result is acceptable, but I hope for better result for the final version. Then we will prime and sand the wood before printing.

20200128_182206 (resized).jpg20200128_182206 (resized).jpg20200128_182237 (resized).jpg20200128_182237 (resized).jpg20200128_182253 (resized).jpg20200128_182253 (resized).jpg
    #22 4 years ago

Jan, are you up for bringing this to UK Pinfest in August?

#23 4 years ago

Will you guys be having music change from good to evil depending in who's winning? That would be kinda cool.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from epotech:

Jan, are you up for bringing this to UK Pinfest in August?

We need to discuss that. It's a solid 1000km per direction. Including driving on the other side in the UK. I don't think we could make it within a single day. Which means we would have to take four days off from work at least. Might be a hard discussion with our girls.

Quoted from jaytrem:

Will you guys be having music change from good to evil depending in who's winning? That would be kinda cool.

Good idea. Now we just need some good music for that purpose. Any idea?

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

Good idea. Now we just need some good music for that purpose. Any idea?

What immediately come to mind is "Am I Evil"

Diamond Head...

Or Metallica...

and Handel's Messiah

Some kind of mix while the battle is raging would be awesome.

#26 4 years ago

Nice work! I am building a head to head with MPF and P3-ROC boards and have two modern ball troughs from Pinball-life. I am working on my config file now. Are there any special ball devices or commands you need to run that make the concurrent multiplayer work? The game starts with balls launched from both sides simultaneously.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from AD72:

Are there any special ball devices or commands you need to run that make the concurrent multiplayer work? The game starts with balls launched from both sides simultaneously.

Depends on how your game is working. You like need to overwrite the game class as the normal game in MPF is a single player game. In our case it counts handles lifes per player and tracks two drains. But that is about it. How do you want you game to work?

#28 4 years ago

Each player has 3 balls. One is launched at a time for each player. When a ball is drained a new one is auto launched from the trough where the ball was drained. There are always 2 balls in play until all 6 “lives” are used. Then there is a 30 second multiball where all 6 balls are in play. When a ball is drained it is auto launched back into play. It is a Williams 83 Joust.

How does your game work with the two players? Are there always 2 balls going or just one? Thanks!

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from AD72:

Each player has 3 balls. One is launched at a time for each player. When a ball is drained a new one is auto launched from the trough where the ball was drained. There are always 2 balls in play until all 6 “lives” are used. Then there is a 30 second multiball where all 6 balls are in play. When a ball is drained it is auto launched back into play. It is a Williams 83 Joust.

Ok I know how that works.

Quoted from AD72:

How does your game work with the two players? Are there always 2 balls going or just one? Thanks!

Have a look at the video above. There are at least two balls in play. In fact every player ha at least one and gets a new one when he shoots the last one over or drains it. In the video both players got 8 lifes which results in decent game times. You could reduce that for shorter games.

1 month later
    #30 4 years ago

Is the audio for either side different? Are you running just 2 channels - one side left and the other right. Or are you running both sides stereo so - 4 channels? Nice work!

#31 4 years ago

Thanks! We run a normal stereo setup with four speakers and one sub. Left channel is front and right channel is back. Certain sounds only play on one side but stuff like music is the same on both sides.

3 months later
    #32 3 years ago

Wow, it's been a long time since the last update

I've moved to another flat. The pinball got a new home as well. The rented cellar is gone, but the GvE is now directly in my apartment. Unfortunately, we are reducing from 65 m² to 12 m². Everything has to be a bit more compact, but no rent and bad air of the cellar anymore.

Corona and the contact ban also let the project fall asleep. Oh yes, and the new room still serves as a storage room for moving boxes !!!

Next there is a small project that I want to finish first. Doesn't really have anything to do with our hobby, but I will report when I'm ready.

BUT: Then we will continue !!!

Stay healthy and best regards
    norftok

NeuerRaum (resized).JPGNeuerRaum (resized).JPG
    #33 3 years ago

@jaytrem:
    I really like your idea. I'm comfortable with the Diamond Head and Metallica music. But the Handel's Messiah is very exhausting when I listen to it for a while.

Sound and DMD graphics will be a lot of work. And Jan and I are not the most enthusiastic ones for that. So in the end this will be a stopgap solution

#34 3 years ago

I cleaned up a bit:

Aufgeräumt (resized).jpgAufgeräumt (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #35 3 years ago

We really have a lot of small stuff to store. That's why I bought a 130 kilogram board.

My brother helped me, but unfortunately the transport left its mark.

BR
    norfi

Schrank (resized).jpgSchrank (resized).jpgTragespuren (resized).jpgTragespuren (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #36 3 years ago

I bought a workbench and some stuff for future woodworks

circlesaw (resized).jpgcirclesaw (resized).jpgdrillingmachine (resized).jpgdrillingmachine (resized).jpggrinder (resized).jpggrinder (resized).jpghotairgun (resized).jpghotairgun (resized).jpgrouter (resized).jpgrouter (resized).jpgwerkbank (resized).JPGwerkbank (resized).JPG
    1 month later
    #37 3 years ago

Similar to Cmartin1235 we compiled a walk-through video about the machine:

6 months later
    #38 2 years ago

jabdoa Did you ever share the source code to see how you made that ??
    That's really a beautiful project !

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from BENETNATH:

jabdoa Did you ever share the source code to see how you made that ??
    That's really a beautiful project !

Thanks man! I did not share the complete code. Are you looking for something specific?

Jan

#40 2 years ago

Not really.
    But I'd be interested in seeing how the various aspects have been covered by an expert!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/head2head-custom-pinball-machine-good-vs-evil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.