(Topic ID: 104893)

Head to head pinball can we make it happen? Joust remake?

By rufessor

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pdxmonkey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

FIRST-

I have neither the time money nor inclination to even think of getting in on a remake-
    I have heard NOTHING that would lead me to believe this will be done, might be done or even has ever been considered...

That said-

I would really, really, really like to get one of these but thats plainly not going to happen without luck and a lot of money...

So-

The question I am asking is-

Given the miserable runs in terms of total games made in the head - head pinball games

Has anyone ever looked into remaking this or a has any manufacturer floated ideas for a NEW head to head cocktail project?

Its just too cool- I would play the heck out of this type of game. I play most of my pinball when someone is over and being able to play each other is just such a great idea...

So-

Given that the modern pinball market is more attuned to home use as a market (not saying its dominant I have no idea, but certainly more prominent than it was).... does anyone think that a new head-head pinball is coming, might be prompted to be made, or that Joust would ever be remade?

If not- why?

Just seems way to cool

#2 9 years ago

I would be in on a Joust remake, but it would have to be at a lower price point than the current market is supporting (8k+), so based on that, I would wonder if it would be "worth" the effort considering it has almost all (no backglass) the components of a reg pin and there are better candidates at higher price points....

As for a new head to head, I think it would be cool.... But I think the price would kill it.

#3 9 years ago

It'd be great to see a new head to head game

I bet they would kill on location
    4-player pacman does pretty good at Ground Kontrol (badass barcade)
    They're also testing some new 10 player arcade game that looks fun called Killer Queen

#4 9 years ago

I would like to create an original head to head title. I intend to build at least a proof of concept in this form factor next year.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#5 9 years ago

An interesting idea. But certainly a new head to head would be preferable.

#6 9 years ago

That Killer Queen game was THE HIT of CalExtreme this year. It was mobbed all weekend. My (15 year old) boy loved it. I was playing pinball.

#7 9 years ago

If not this is my first Proc project.

Like monkey states the Pacific NW has the market for this with all the locations.

Pac Royale is almost always full at Ground Kontrol.

I will sell a game to bring this into my lineup. I have 4 or 5 people over multiple days a week.

We would play the paint off of this.

#8 9 years ago

I'm in for a Joust remake.

#9 9 years ago

Yeah-

A remake would be cool but the idea of producing a new head-head just seems logical-

I would play the heck out of this game if it was done well.

Does form factor help on cost? It seems like the cocktail style is the perfect form for this, two people site down and try to kill each other over pinball - I can think of so many fun things you could do with modern programming and multi ball- a very cool theme would be some sorta space type battle.

Then you could incorporate weapons as specials-
    Weapon idea= hit a special on your side- it closes the gate on the play field (between the players) and gives you multi ball and releases a death ball on the other person- if they don't hit a deactivate target before the ball drains on them they lose XX points- but if they do hit the target then every ball on your side becomes a death ball and when you drain you loose points for every ball..... all within a timed segment... so if they are good your dead and loose a shit load of points as the multi ball drains on your side... if they suck you rack it up and they loose. High risk- competitive type interplay.

Just so much that can be done here- wish I had the time and skills to do this.

I would like to see something with a simple EM style layout- you don't need ramps and fancy shit- you need a good layout and a competitive rule set where you can hurt your opponent and they can save themselves etc- beyond just passing the ball back and forth.

SO much could be done here and I bet it would kill on location at a bar etc...

#10 9 years ago

And

Quoted from fastpinball:I would like to create an original head to head title. I intend to build at least a proof of concept in this form factor next year.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Unsure what I can offer here- but I would be interested in helping in some way to help this project more ahead.

Quoted from fireball2:

That Killer Queen game was THE HIT of CalExtreme this year. It was mobbed all weekend. My (15 year old) boy loved it. I was playing pinball.

Whats Killer Queen?

#12 9 years ago

Also look up
    Alvin G USA football
    And
    Alvin G soccer

Two head to head games put out by Alvin G in the 90's

#13 9 years ago

Yeah- There is a list of every head to head pinball ever made- I have throughly scoured it looking for a game to buy-

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=head-to-head&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

Two things- I think the highest production numbers are
    an astounding 500 or something (jeez) (but for NBA fast break but I don't get how thats precisely the same as the game were talking about here but have never played one so who knows).

So none are available basically-

Last- the full size tables just look awful to me- the Joust format looks amazing-

#14 9 years ago

I think a head to head machine would be great but thinking making a Joust remake is not the way to go. Someone makes a new title with new rules and design would be better!

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Just spend $10 on Killer Queen at Ground Kontrol
    Damn that game is awesome!

Sorry for the OT

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

This to me is the best video arcade game of all time.

I played it for an hour straight twice while at Logan Arcade recently.

#17 9 years ago

That game was bring in some serious coin too
    I'd estimate it at about $20 an hour

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/head-to-head-pinball-can-we-make-it-happen-joust-remake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.