(Topic ID: 87496)

IT'S ALIVE!, (take 2)- 1968 Gottlieb Royal Guard - continuing saga.

By dasvis

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dasvis
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3257 (Medium) (resized).JPG
IMG_3253 (Medium) (resized).JPG
coin door back (Medium) (resized).jpg
coin door front (Medium) (resized).jpg
Alive 2 (resized).jpg
its alive (resized).JPG
IMG_2738 (Medium) (resized).JPG
Gottlieb score reel switch types (Small).jpg
IMG_1831 (Small).JPG
IMG_1833 (Small).JPG
IMG_4547 (Small).JPG
IMG_4559 (Small).JPG
IMG_1826 (Small).JPG
HH RG (Small)-861.JPG
IMG_1881 (Small).JPG
IMG_1888.JPG
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Great news dasvis-must be a great feeling after all the toil

Indeed... Too bad I have to go to work.. Would love to mess with this all day. Just got off the phone with PBR & ordered some odds & ends for it.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Indeed... Too bad I have to go to work.. Would love to mess with this all day. Just got off the phone with PBR & ordered some odds & ends for it.

I know only too well the feeling-when you are on a roll you want to stay with it

#53 8 years ago

Congratulations dasvis! I am glad it is mostly working. This is great news!

#54 8 years ago

Great news - you're in the home stretch now......

#55 8 years ago

well done! I have tackled some big projects but to be honest I am not sure I would tried that one.
not many can say the rewired a light board
BRAVO!!!

#56 8 years ago

Thanks all, could not have done it without your help.

Next up - a move to the dark side, a Williams Alien poker that I have been promising to fix for 2+ years....

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

well done! I have tackled some big projects but to be honest I am not sure I would tried that one.
not many can say the rewired a light board
BRAVO!!!

Well, it helped immensely in that the wiring harness (though cut) was still on the light board...

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Well, it helped immensely in that the wiring harness (though cut) was still on the light board...

don't cut yourself short just because some wires were there doesn't mean it was any easier!
(pun intended)

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

don't cut yourself short just because some wires were there doesn't mean it was any easier!
(pun intended)

Well yeah, a LOT of hours were spent beeping out wires with my trusty Fluke & scouring the schematic. Found a couple of runs that were done in the wrong color & one or two questionable schematic connections. It's not done yet, but I can see the finish line.

#60 8 years ago

Yeah, you know thats right Wayner... Dasvis gets a 3 Beer cheer!!!
Great work dude! it is always a good feeling gettin one back on the line! Congrats!

#61 8 years ago

Popping fuse on lower playfield GI Lights & feature lights. Pulled all bulbs & issue went away - must have been a shorted bulb somewhere.
Cleaned underside of inserts w/ Q-tip & #1 Novus while I had good access. How the hell do these get so dirty?
Replacing all with some cheap #47's that I picked up from Pinball life in the 100 packs. Not so sure about these, I think you get what you pay for. Gotta find me some NOS GE #47's from back in the day.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Popping fuse on lower playfield GI Lights & feature lights. Pulled all bulbs & issue went away - must have been a shorted bulb somewhere.
Cleaned underside of inserts w/ Q-tip & #1 Novus while I had good access. How the hell do these get so dirty?
Replacing all with some cheap #47's that I picked up from Pinball life in the 100 packs. Not so sure about these, I think you get what you pay for. Gotta find me some NOS GE #47's from back in the day.

after all bulbs are removed, keep the machine powered up and start installing the bulbs one at a time until the fuse blows. it may be more than one socket so just leave out the bad bulbs and keep going until they are all installed.

#63 8 years ago

Too late, replaced them all & problem solved.
The "0" match light was not working, looked in the socket & I had gotten wood glue in there. De-soldered & installed new socket - it works!

#64 8 years ago

Still fighting issues. Pulled playfield & lower board to get at the switch banks, check for solder bombs, & perhaps bits of wire shorting something out.
Wiped & blew all debris out, Checked & re-cleaned all switches on the bottom board--- what did I find? .... Of all things a misadjusted contact on the start relay. Damn, must have been in a hurry the first go around. That should solve some issues! Also noted a broken score motor brake at the 3-1/2 position, it's ordered from PBR & should arrive early next week.

#65 8 years ago

Sometimes they work fine without the brake switch but I like to replace them anyway. Getting closer....

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Sometimes they work fine without the brake switch but I like to replace them anyway. Getting closer....

Yeah, I don't think Gottlieb would have spent the extra $$ for it if it was not needed.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Too late, replaced them all & problem solved.

Well, so I had thought - fuse started blowing again. Finally found a wire loose on the right front light under the apron. Soldered it up & so far it's good.

Installed score motor brake.

Feature lights not working as they should... that's next up.

#68 8 years ago

Almost there dasvis! Some new pics of your machine would be great

#69 8 years ago

Rebuilt the flippers.. a lot of WD40 removal here. Thank God that looks like the only place they used it on.
Before
IMG_1862 (Small).JPGIMG_1862 (Small).JPG
After - Might go with some orange dot coils from PBR, depending how these play. I put a set of four in my King kool & it really improved gameplay.
IMG_1876 (Small).JPGIMG_1876 (Small).JPG

Going to have to buy one of those new repro coin doors from PBR. This one would not have been too bad, except someone buggered up the coin return.
IMG_1871 (Small).JPGIMG_1871 (Small).JPG
IMG_1872 (Small).JPGIMG_1872 (Small).JPG

1 week later
#70 8 years ago

Continuing with underside playfield. Replacing coil sleeves & polishing brackets while I do so just because they look so good.
IMG_1888.JPGIMG_1888.JPG

Stalled at the last pop bumper. Short one damn mylar playfield protector. Should arrive from PBR today.......
IMG_1881 (Small).JPGIMG_1881 (Small).JPG

1 week later
#71 8 years ago

Stalled on the RG project.-- with the warmer weather I really need to finish up clearcoat on my High hand .........

To be continued

HH RG (Small).JPGHH RG (Small).JPG

// Error: Image 415850 not found //
1 year later
#72 7 years ago

Well, High hand got finished (just a player's pin), finished up Alien poker, & restored my Old Chicago.
Now back to Royal Guard..... Need to dust it off first. It's been sitting a while.....

#73 7 years ago

Vic Camp just sold his and made 30 something videos on it for the first time buyer. What a guy. Maybe you'd find them helpful if anything arises - they're on YouTube. (Haven't watched them all however)

2 months later
#74 7 years ago

OK, Royal Guard is back in the shop already & assembled. Now, back to this short issue that has been a thorn in my side for the last year or two...
Plugged it in and tested to refresh what is left of my memory, & the GI lights come on, but very dim and then the 10A playfield light fuse blows. Pulled plugs until I isolated the one that was causing the short, that narrowed it down some - it was the 18-pin plug for mostly playfield lights. Desoldered GI light string power leads & it sill popped the fuse. Re-connected GI.
Tracked down the leads for the controlled lights & desoldered..... BINGO. GI lights were nice & bright. NO fuse blown. Problem in controlled light string. Ran out of time, got to head to work. To be continued!

Hope to have this ready for paint this spring.
I have a Gottlieb Top card that's been sitting for 4 or 5 years, a '57 Bally Showtime bingo, & a Chicago coin Top ten waiting for attention........

Looking back, I may be going for the record on longest restore time. I started this over two years ago. Time flys.

10 months later
#75 6 years ago

Well, after getting sidetracked with a Seawitch project, I'm back on this damn Royal Guard from hell.
Found a decent populated lightboard from fellow Pinsider Gdonovan, it arrived last Tuesday & it looks good. I have it on the bench & have gone thru rebuilding the 0~9 unit & the two stand alone bells. Have the credit unit apart now... another week or so & I sould be able to plug it in & see how it goes.

#76 6 years ago

Gotta give u credit for the all the work that u put in this game..I have a RG as well, and I really enjoy playing it..if I can help u with any pix/info I’d be glad to try n help out..

#77 6 years ago

Royal Guard is such a fun game! I didn't think much of it years ago, but now that I own one, I'm really getting into it! Love the snap targets!
Keep it up dasvis! I just looked at the first pictures of yours and man...what a mess! You have more patience than I have!
Joe

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Gotta give u credit for the all the work that u put in this game..I have a RG as well, and I really enjoy playing it..if I can help u with any pix/info I’d be glad to try n help out..

Thanks, I really get more fun out of fixing these than I do playing them I think. Put on some soothing vintage Steely dan stuff on the UE booms & putter around with it in the garage. Finished cleaning up the replay unit this morning.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Thanks, I really get more fun out of fixing these than I do playing them I think. Put on some soothing vintage Steely dan stuff on the UE booms & putter around with it in the garage. Finished cleaning up the replay unit this morning.

Hey! A Dan Fan. I really like them too. Know all the words!

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Hey! A Dan Fan. I really like them too. Know all the words!

Is there gas in the car?

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Is there gas in the car?

"I think the people down the hall know who you are!"

#82 6 years ago

Well, so far every mechanical unit on this replacement lightboard has had an issue, but the important stuff is all in good shape.
1-pt bell was missing, 10-pt bell had some odd homemade striker that was too short, the 100-pt bell was missing the striker, the replay unit was missing a nylon spacer in the switch stack, & the one point score reel had the contact for the match unit on upside down so it would not register matches. All easily fixed or replaced, as I was able to rob them off of the old board.
Gottlieb Decagon score reels bite my balls. I had forgotten what a pain in the ass they are.

Three score reels & the relay bank to go & we test.

#83 6 years ago

IMG_2738 (Medium) (resized).JPGIMG_2738 (Medium) (resized).JPG

Lightboard mechanical rebuild done! Just some minor cleanup of jones plug sockets & light bulb sockets to go... but we will test this weekend.

#84 6 years ago

Wow, what a project... this is a lesson on perseverance. Thanks for posting. It’s inspiring.

#85 6 years ago

its alive (resized).JPGits alive (resized).JPG

#86 6 years ago

Alive 2 (resized).jpgAlive 2 (resized).jpg

Well, I installed the rebuilt lightboard in & switched it on. It works! No fuses popped. Some minor adjustments needed of course, but I think it's finally working as it should.
Big thanks to all that helped on this 3 year (so far) project... Gdonovan for the nice populated lightboard, Rat-Tomago for his photos, Hoov for the backbox, parts & bare light board that I attempted piecing together, ccotenj for the fantastic backglass, & others who helped make this possible. there are parts from at least 6 pins in this thing. I learned a lot from my failures on this one, was worth every hour that I spent on this (& there were many)
Once I get the adjustments done, I plan on bringing this into my office & playing it until spring.. then tear it down again & do a total repaint.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Well, I installed the rebuilt lightboard in & switched it on. It works! No fuses popped. Some minor adjustments needed of course, but I think it's finally working as it should.
Big thanks to all that helped on this 3 year (so far) project... Gdonovan for the nice populated lightboard, Rat-Tomago for his photos, Hoov for the backbox, parts & bare light board that I attempted piecing together, ccotenj for the fantastic backglass, & others who helped make this possible. there are parts from at least 6 pins in this thing. I learned a lot from my failures on this one, was worth every hour that I spent on this (& there were many)
Once I get the adjustments done, I plan on bringing this into my office & playing it until spring.. then tear it down again & do a total repaint.

Nice work! I wonder what happened to "ccotenj". I met him briefly once at the Allentown show, but he just fell away. Anyone hear from him?

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Nice work! I wonder what happened to "ccotenj". I met him briefly once at the Allentown show, but he just fell away. Anyone hear from him?

I had corresponded with Chris about 3 years ago & at the time he had some health issues which he indicated were on the mend. I just hope he is ok-he was a very helpful genuine guy.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Awesome! Glad that I was able to provide a piece of the puzzle and keep another machine from being reduced to parts!

#90 6 years ago

Way to go!

I just picked up a Royal Guard last spring and need to finish it this winter now that things are slowing down.

2 weeks later
#91 6 years ago

Just got a shipment in from PBR. I must say, his repro coin doors are stunning!
coin door front (Medium) (resized).jpgcoin door front (Medium) (resized).jpg

Did a bit of polish work on the coin mech holders.... that brass-like plating is the bomb.
coin door back (Medium) (resized).jpgcoin door back (Medium) (resized).jpg

Not perfect, but it will do. still working on assembly.
Damn Iphone pic... not sure what went on with that

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Way to go!
I just picked up a Royal Guard last spring and need to finish it this winter now that things are slowing down.

I have some extra backbox mechs & stuff if you need it Hoov..

1 week later
#93 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I have some extra backbox mechs & stuff if you need it Hoov..

Thanks for the offer but I should be good. Still have what's left of my 1st Royal Guard parts game.

#94 6 years ago

IMG_3253 (Medium) (resized).JPGIMG_3253 (Medium) (resized).JPGIMG_3257 (Medium) (resized).JPGIMG_3257 (Medium) (resized).JPG

Well, the mechanicals, lights, switches. & gameplay are now at 100% working. Finally!
Had a small issue with the match & high scores credits not registering properly. Slept on it & had a eureka moment @ 2AM, so I ran out & checked. Sure enough -- I had put the contacts in the score reels in the wrong position...Bingo - Fixed.
Plays great, fun pin, love the two different on playfield specials. This is my first 2" flipper pin - thought they were lame before but this one has changed my mind on the subject.
Next up will paint this spring & it's done.

Note- no backglass in the pin because I did not want to bring it out into my cold garage...

#95 6 years ago

Way to go!

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

This is my first 2" flipper pin - thought they were lame before but this one has changed my mind on the subject.

Welcome to the 2" flipper club!

1 year later
#97 5 years ago

I managed to get white base coat and webbing on the head before winter hit, I pulled all of the trim off of the cabinet and got all of the old paint stripped and went thru and redid any questionable glue joints. Had to knock the front of the cab out and re glue it in.
So, it sits now until the weather warms so I can get paint on it.

#98 5 years ago

What process did you use for the webbing effect please?

( I want to do my own Royal guard this year)

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

What process did you use for the webbing effect please?
( I want to do my own Royal guard this year)

Used a wire brush & flicked the paint on with it. Clay Harrell shows the technique in one of his guides. Works ok, I probably went too heavy with it, but it's better than none at all.. practice makes perfect.

1 week later
#100 5 years ago

RG was my second favorite EM at the PHOF. The moving targets were so much fun. My favorite was Apollo and I want one.

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/head-needed-1968-gottlied-royal-guard/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.