Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 hours ago by HE-MAN44
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“He-Man and the Masters of the Universe”

• This theme rocks - take my money now! 109 votes
      62%
    • I don't care about the theme but still might be interested if it's fun to play. 34 votes
      19%
    • Terrible idea for a pinball machine! 34 votes
      19%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1968 (resized).jpeg
    pinside.0b964de3596fc332f376ea78dc3b4ea03639faae (resized).jpg
    MV5BNzE0NzY2NDEtNGYxNS00OWU4LWEzNjAtNmNmM2FkYTcyOGQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA3OTEyODI1._V1_ (resized).jpg
    CFBFB499-3EAE-4EFA-A0AD-4B4A6167E7EA (resized).jpeg
    theboys.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7032F8A9-A4B6-481B-A259-499D82B8A9C4 (resized).jpeg
    2B79F45D-CB47-41E8-AE23-EE8703374BF0 (resized).jpeg
    6FFBFA95-7A30-4852-A2BA-C6AFB568C87C (resized).jpeg
    5C38D45C-E31C-4B37-AE06-700E48A30892 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    DRbUHiAX0AAOJKp (resized).jpg
    33868881555_aa4e7e437f_o-1-674x1024 (resized).png
    Battle-Cat-Artbook-Max-1024x605 (resized).png
    Castle-Grayskull-highest-resolution-cleaned-up-color-edit2-1024x683 (resized).jpg
    There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

Am I alone in this? This would be a take my money now theme. I was obsessed with these toys as a kid, I was and 80s child and had all the action figures and the cans of slime. Any chance this would ever become a pinball machine, not homebrew, a machine by Stern, JJP, Spooky or maybe even American Pinball?

#2 6 years ago

Stern or JJP = take my $$$$ now!!!!

#3 6 years ago

All over that one
    Take my money, JJP

#4 6 years ago

Loved watching it as a kid, remember getting in trouble for calling the He-man and She-ra hotline and charging up the phone bill

Would make an awesome pin, still not sure how i feel about the Geico commercials though.

#5 6 years ago

I have the power multiball. Yes please

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from PunkPin:

Loved watching it as a kid, remember getting in trouble for calling the He-man and She-ra hotline and charging up the phone bill
    Would make an awesome pin, still not sure how i feel about the Geico commercials though.

Funny. I saw the Geico commercial then I posted this thread. Actually been thinking about this over the past few years, such a great theme for pinball - IMHO.

#7 6 years ago

Stern gave the 60's kids their dream theme in Batman 66. Hopefully they will give us 80's kids some love. GI Joe is the one I am hoping for. He-Man would be fun to see too.

#8 6 years ago

Put castle Grayskull in the back just like in MM. I am torturing myself just thinking about this... Stern or JJP, please make this!

grayskull (resized).jpggrayskull (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Loved it as a kid but tried to rewatch it as a young adult and found it dull. I thought Thundercats held up better, but maybe I just chose some poor episoded to rewatch. Still it could be made into an interesting game. Lots of characters to work with.

#10 6 years ago

most people have been around enough to know that theme alone cannot make or break any game. So planning something you have never seen or played is the #1 rule in bad decisions in pinball. There can be themes you would find interesting and think it might be a good idea, but there is no way it's 100% guarantee it's going to be awesome. I've seen plenty of themes I wanted to see, just turned to shit.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Loved it as a kid but tried to rewatch it as a young adult and found it dull. I thought Thundercats held up better, but maybe I just chose some poor episoded to research. Still it could be made into an interesting game. Lots of characters to work with.

The show wasn't what made this special to me. Kids purchased all these toys in the 80s, then you set it all up and made your own adventures. This was back when us kids used to use our imaginations instead of relying on TV, tablets and computers.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

most people have been around enough to know that theme alone cannot make or break any game. So planning something you have never seen or played is the #1 rule in bad decisions in pinball. There can be themes you would find interesting and think it might be a good idea, but there is no way it's 100% guarantee it's going to be awesome. I've seen plenty of themes I wanted to see, just turned to shit.

True enough. But... I've also learned that an awesome, fun shooting game with a great ruleset isn't enough for me. The theme must be great also or I get sick of it. Theme comes first for me.

#13 6 years ago

Totally agree. I scoured garage sales and thrift shops to find the toys. My favorite was that slim pit, despite never actually buying any slime.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Totally agree. I scoured garage sales and thrift shops to find the toys. My favorite was that slim pit, despite never actually buying any slime.

I purchased so many cans of that slime as a kid. So awesome.

#15 6 years ago

Had to Google this one...

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Had to Google this one...

Must of been an American thing?

#17 6 years ago

What do Orko, Cousin Oliver and the great Gazoo have in common?

p (resized).jpgp (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Must of been an American thing?

Probably just too young. Once I saw a picture though, I do remember having a He-man action figure. Musta been a handme-down!

#19 6 years ago

Anyone outside the U.S. have childhood memories of He-Man?

#20 6 years ago

I do. Loved the show and agree with you it would be a great idea for a theme. The options for playfield toys would be endless. (Castle grey skull , cringer the battle cat, skeletor, orko, etc)

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I do. Loved the show and agree with you it would be a great idea for a theme. The options for playfield toys would be endless. (Castle grey skull , cringer the battle cat, skeletor, orko, etc)

We would need the castle for sure. Then He-Man, Skelator, Battle Cat and Man-at-Arms.

#22 6 years ago

One of my Halloween costumes this year...what perfect timing!

8E9CCB77-7EE9-452B-A533-389492FF2715 (resized).jpeg8E9CCB77-7EE9-452B-A533-389492FF2715 (resized).jpeg

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from wyopin:

One of my Halloween costumes this year...what perfect timing!

Super cool.

#24 6 years ago

Crazy, I just got these out of the attic yesterday! Gonna give them to my 80s - obsessed nephew. I could get into a He Man pin for sure!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#25 6 years ago

Someone made a future pinball MOTU pin that was really well done if you wanna check something digital out. There's a lot of rich material to pull from that could make a real HeMan MOTU pin really fun.

#26 6 years ago

I. Think this would be cool and I really wasn't into HeMan. Probably too old. I like Thundarr the Barbarian myself. Just bought the DVd set. It's fantastic!

#27 6 years ago

I wasn't a big He-man person, but man did I love those garbage cans of slime. SW figures worked just as good with it. Nothing like a crashed Xwing covered in slime.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Crazy, I just got these out of the attic yesterday! Gonna give them to my 80s - obsessed nephew. I could get into a He Man pin for sure!

Some of those toys came out before the character hit the show. Trap-Jaw, Man-e-faces and beelzeboob 's favorite - FISTO

p (resized).jpgp (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago

Sorry.....but I had to post this. lol

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Some of those toys came out before the character hit the show. Trap-Jaw, Man-e-faces and beelzeboob 's favorite - FISTO

He-Man was a show designed specifically to sell a line of toys.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

He-Man was a show designed specifically to sell a line of toys.

Total market show. And there is no real creativity. The damn names alone - He-Man, Battle Cat, Skeletor, Man-At-Arm . . . come-on.

At the end of the shows Prince Adam would stand there and tell you what he learned that day. I feel it was the inspiration for Kyle giving those speeches at the end of South Park episodes.

What I can't figure is why I saw this show. I was an adult already, well, kind of.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Total market show. And there is no real creativity. The damn names alone - He-Man, Battle Cat, Skeletor, Man-At-Arm . . . come-on.
    At the end of the shows Prince Adam would stand there and tell you what he learned that day. I feel it was the inspiration for Kyle giving those speeches at the end of South Park episodes.
    What I can't figure is why I saw this show. I was an adult already, well, kind of.

Your way over analyzing things, just like everything on pinside gets over analyzed. They were toys, I was a kid, I had fun with them, I used my imagination. Every toy that ever gets created gets marketed, they want to sell it. The shows were ok, the toys were better.

#33 6 years ago

Your way over analyzing things, just like everything on pinside gets over analyzed. They were toys, I was a kid, I had fun with them, I used my imagination. Every toy that ever gets created gets marketed, they want to sell it. The shows were ok, the toys were better.

And as a life long programmer, I over analyze everything. But that is just it, why did I see this and remember this show? I did not collect the toys. Even since youth my brother and I did not "play with dolls" (as my father called them). So I had no interest in that kind of toy or "action figures" in general. Not even the G.I. Joe stuff from my era.

When this show came out I had an associates degree, working on my Bachelors, and was working in VLSI chip design with ITT. Yet I remember 80s cartoons like He-Man, Thundercats, Danger Mouse, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck . . .

When I was reading this thread last night the girlfriend sees the thread and shouts "She-Ra".

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

» YouTube video

Never saw this before. Freaking funny. People can be so creative. It is a lot more creative that the Gieco commercial.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

That is ridiculous! too funny

#35 6 years ago

You’d think that the license would be pretty cheap to get for these guys, being so old...but man, you could really do a number with the clips and sounds from the cartoons. I actually wrote in a masters of the universe pin as an option for Kapow’s next pin...when they had that mini survey of next themes after BM66.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from PunkPin:

...remember getting in trouble for calling the He-man and She-ra hotline and charging up the phone bill

She-ra hotline? ...hey baby, tell me what your wearing...mm hmm...I’m an evil guy, what’re you going to do to me when you catch me...oh yeah, that’s right...yeah baby I’ve got the power right here in my hand...

#37 6 years ago

then you set it all up and made your own adventures.

Yep. The cartoons were simply commercials for the toys . The toys were simply building blocks to realize your imagination . Ah, the good old days .

#38 6 years ago

He man was pretty Big in Australia, my cousin has EVERY figure made except for the giant figures released in Italy and the castle set with the monorails.
    They still release modern collectibles today.

#39 6 years ago

Not trying to over analyze, I just find it interesting discussion. So obviously Star Wars is the poster child for movies/tv inspiring toys. It sure seems like the 80s had a number of examples of the reverse: Transformers, He-Man, Care Bears, G.I. Joe, My Little Pony, etc. All were successful toys prior to becoming TV shows. Was that era the first time where this happened?

#40 6 years ago

I was playing my lost world the other day and thinking about how similar the artwork is to the old toy packaging. A game using the original 80s art would be something.

8 months later
    #41 5 years ago

Absolutely! Back in 1982/83 it was He-Man and Skeletor that caught my eye on the shelf at our local toy store. I even recall the price, $8.99, which soon became $15.99 once they proved very popular. The MOTU action figures were popular here in Australia till about 1986/87.

We recently held a poll for a dream theme and guess what came out on top????

Link to dream theme poll -> http://www.ausretrogamer.com/results-are-in-for-your-dream-pinball-theme/

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Absolutely! Back in 1982/83 it was He-Man and Skeletor that caught my eye on the shelf at our local toy store. I even recall the price, $8.99, which soon became $15.99 once they proved very popular. The MOTU action figures were popular here in Australia till about 1986/87.
    We recently held a poll for a dream theme and guess what came out on top????
    Link to dream theme poll -> http://www.ausretrogamer.com/results-are-in-for-your-dream-pinball-theme/

Good to hear!

Of ALL the rumored pins that are supposed to come out in the next few years none of the themes interest me. It is very disappointing not a single company can do a Masters of the Universe pin.

#43 5 years ago

Good to hear!
    Of ALL the rumored pins that are supposed to come out in the next few years none of the themes interest me. It is very disappointing not a single company can do a Masters of the Universe pin.

From what we gather, Mattel is guarding the license like some coveted jewel. Hopefully Stern or JJP can provide a compelling reason (and $$) to obtain the license from them (fingers always crossed).

#44 5 years ago

Good to hear!

Spooky should just retheme Alice cooper. I’d be in.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

From what we gather, Mattel is guarding the license like some coveted jewel. Hopefully Stern or JJP can provide a compelling reason (and $$) to obtain the license from them (fingers always crossed).

Mattel has few product lines that were as successful as He-Man, and they are currently pumping MOTU to adults who had the toys as kids, but at $100 price points for “ultimate” versions. Same with Transformers and Hasbro. Well, the transformers are $200...

#46 5 years ago

Might get some attention when the Masters of the Universe movie finally comes out, whenever that is. It's been in development hell for over a decade, but last I heard David Goyer (The Nolan Batman Triolgy) was doing a rewrite. I still haven't heard any casting news, so I'm sure this is still a ways off. Casting He-Man would be incredibly difficult IMO. Get a guy who actually looks the part, not The Rock if you know what I mean.

There are some pretty cool fan movies on YouTube though. And Super7 actually has the rights to make MOTU toys, not Mattel. They are currently doing preorders for an updated vintage 5.5 inch figure line on card backs. Incredibly fricking cool. Hope they release all the fan favorites eventually.

https://preorder.super7store.com/collections/current-pre-order

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Might get some attention when the Masters of the Universe movie finally comes out, whenever that is. It's been in development hell for over a decade, but last I heard David Goyer (The Nolan Batman Triolgy) was doing a rewrite. I still haven't heard any casting news, so I'm sure this is still a ways off. Casting He-Man would be incredibly difficult IMO. Get a guy who actually looks the part, not The Rock if you know what I mean.
    There are some pretty cool fan movies on YouTube though. And Super7 actually has the rights to make MOTU toys, not Mattel. They are currently doing preorders for an updated vintage 5.5 inch figure line on card backs. Incredibly fricking cool. Hope they release all the fan favorites eventually.
    https://preorder.super7store.com/collections/current-pre-order

LOL I would 100% see that movie starring the Rock in a crazy blonde wig

Edit: I didn’t realise they had closed MattyCollector. That had some awesome stuff going for a while! The Greyskull was INCREDIBLE

3 years later
    #49 2 years ago

Am I alone in this? This would be a take my money now theme. I was obsessed with these toys as a kid, I was and 80s child and had all the action figures and the cans of slime. Any chance this would ever become a pinball machine, not homebrew, a machine by Stern, JJP, Spooky or maybe even American Pinball?

I have a huge collection of figures and vehicles. I still collect the new ones today

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

I have a huge collection of figures and vehicles. I still collect the new ones today

I caught the new series on Netflix, which was REALLY good. Watched the whole thing in one sitting. There is also another new one aimed at little kids but haven't taken the time on that one. My kid had a big box of the original figures and playsets when he was smaller. Now he's 12 and into the Oculus headset thing for video games. craziness

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/he-man-and-the-masters-of-the-universe-pin?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.