(Topic ID: 243916)

HCUO: Home Credit Use Only - Ixnay on the Free-Play.

By RockfordReplay

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ChangeWrapped (resized).jpg
    ChangeWrap (resized).jpg
    ForestCityCardroom (resized).jpg
    Seaga CM1250 (resized).png
    zUWjDZB (resized).jpg
    xYr5f8j (resized).jpg
    HCUO (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I'm acquiring additional appreciation for home-gaming after configuring for credit-use.

The visiting response was less-than-enthusiastic, "You have to pay?" (with a hint of; that's dumb). Before credit/button drilling advice was provided, I pulled the coins, upped the credits and reassured them; "Their money is no good here." They played until it was time to go without further issue. Credits still remained.

I love the boundaries and accomplishments that are resurrected with Credit-Play. Drop $3 for a night, 9 on a weekend. This machine drains too fast another credits too often; Choices matter. That sinking feeling of the last ball on the last credit. The thrill when scoring the Replay; Fists in the air, "Yeeeeeesss:.

Dropping coins is satisfying too. Perhaps a full experience of the game. A nod-of-sorts to the Machine's of Pinball. The latest Black Knight provides a tiny experience missed in Free-Play; A random call-out for each coin dropped. Cool.

HCUO (resized).jpgHCUO (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

I get what you’re saying and agree completely. Mine are set to free play but I will usually set them to coin op when I have guests over so that they can have the full experience. But I also provide the coins, so it’s still “free.” Hearing the coin drop in is part of the experience to me. I honestly thought I was the only one...

#3 4 years ago

I don't set free play on my home games. It totally takes away the meaning of getting a replay/special...the game goes crazy when you get a replay, and then immediately displays "free play".

There was a similar thread a while back, and a vast majority set to free play.

#4 4 years ago

I currently have my old solid states (Evel, Harlem, etc.) set on quarter drop and my newer DMDs on free play.

I just got back into pinball from when I was a kid and the older games were the ones I played when I was young. I love the memories and still relish the thrill and challenges of hitting the Specials. That old knocker sound is my favourite sound in the world, closely followed by a beer can being opened.

If company is coming over I ensure I have plenty of credits on the games or drop in quarters for them if necessary.

I am thinking of moving my DMDs to quarter drop as well to challenge me further instead of just gunning for high scores.

I also have a quarter slot machine where I keep plenty of quarters inside in case one of my guests hit a big jackpot.

#5 4 years ago

Most of my games are pay-for-play. All of them save for some exceptions take tokens, which the change-machine gives out. (And no, it does not give them out for free. I have to put money in it to get tokens out.

The exceptions are:
    My Twilight Zone - it accepts $.05, $.10, $.25, $.50, $1 coin & bill, $5, $10, $20 bills.
    My jukebox - it accepts $.05, $.10, $.25
    Both Rush The Rocks - they accept tokens, or $1, $5, $10 bills.

Yes, I pay for my games - it makes me play better knowing I just can't his start to restart, and it's a great savings account. Every couple months I'll empty the machines and take all the coins and bills over to my bank and make a deposit.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

... $.05, $.10, $.25, $.50, $1 coin & bill, $5, $10, $20 bills... ...tokens...

Holey Moley! I imagine the process of separating the denominations and reloading the change-machine.

I've noticed a feeling of being cheated when excessive dimes and nickels are returned after breaking a dollar.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

My Twilight Zone - it accepts $.05, $.10, $.25, $.50, $1 coin & bill, $5, $10, $20 bills.

Wait, your TZ takes dimes, nickels, and half dollars? Can you please post some pictures of that set up?

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from RockfordReplay:

Holey Moley! I imagine the process of separating the denominations and reloading the change-machine.
    I've noticed a feeling of being cheated when excessive dimes and nickels are returned after breaking a dollar.

My change machines actually gives tokens out, for the rest of the arcade/games. The change (and bills) from TZ, the RtRs, and the Juke get tossed into a large bank bag and deposited into my fun-time savings account.

Quoted from snyper2099:

Wait, your TZ takes dimes, nickels, and half dollars? Can you please post some pictures of that set up?

Sure! My game was upgraded a loong time ago to a newer coin door interface board. (Don't remember WHY I did it, 'cept that it was like, done back in '96.) It has the NRI interface cable, and since my game always had the single-slot door in it, I bought an electronic coin acceptor.

(This was all done because ORIGINALLY, back in the early '00's, I was going to route it. I'm glad I didn't now.)

I'm an old arcade router/tech. I **enjoy** the sound of coins dropping into the machine. Yeah, I'm crazy.

#9 4 years ago

A couple pics of my TZ's coin door:

xYr5f8j (resized).jpgxYr5f8j (resized).jpgzUWjDZB (resized).jpgzUWjDZB (resized).jpg

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

A couple pics of my TZ's coin door:
    [quoted image][quoted image]

What’s the big box, a dollar bill validator?

#11 4 years ago

Has anyone had custom tokens made? I’ve been wanting to do this, but it seems expensive

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What’s the big box, a dollar bill validator?

Yup. A MEI/Mars model. I have a bunch of them laying around, so.. Heh.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Has anyone had custom tokens made? I’ve been wanting to do this, but it seems expensive

I'm actually in the process right now, funny you ask. My custom tickets came in last year (I think I posted them in pinside, somewhere..) and this summer, I'm getting custom tokens made.

Again - I'm a geek I go all out. And no, I'm NOT setting up a redemption counter.

#13 4 years ago

Just HCUO here too. Greatest “change jars” ever. I’ve paid for mods, parts and other stuff with this out-of-sight “money I didn’t know I had” very consistently.

And despite my always providing the coins when I host, I’ve had several guests insist on using their own money, saying it was worth it to play well-kept games in a less public environment and that I should think of it like them giving me “gas money” to help with the cost of the refreshments.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Popped over to tokensdirectstore.com. Looks like size, material and plate will vary the price. For less-than-quarter size brass; A 5,000 piece minimum quantity = $700 + $210/per side for custom dies. That's alot of tokens.

9 months later
    #15 4 years ago

A new toy arrived today. This is a Seaga CM1250 Change Machine. It changes $1,5,10 and 20's at the hefty price of $900/new. The output is quarters with some token compatibility of a specific size. I haven't decided on custom tokens, but I anticipate traveling that route in the future. It's kinda' ugly today. I wish to dress it up in a custom-print vinyl.

Seaga CM1250 (resized).pngSeaga CM1250 (resized).png
    #16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

...and this summer, I'm getting custom tokens made.

Any updates on your custom tokens? I'd love to get custom tokens made (when I have enough (read: any) machines to actually use them)!

RockfordReplay do you have any designs in mind for your custom tokens?

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from MOSFET:

... rockfordreplay do you have any designs in mind for your custom tokens?

I have a simple design from a custom poker-chip project. These chips were stolen in a burglary.

I'd like to use the tree-design in a 3D variant for tokens. Forest City Pinball.

ForestCityCardroom (resized).jpgForestCityCardroom (resized).jpg
    #18 4 years ago

A new toy arrived today. This is a Seaga CM1250 Change Machine. It changes $1,5,10 and 20's at the hefty price of $900/new. The output is quarters with some token compatibility of a specific size. I haven't decided on custom tokens, but I anticipate traveling that route in the future. It's kinda' ugly today. I wish to dress it up in a custom-print vinyl.[quoted image]

Not a bad little machine. If I move (see below), I would like to get something smaller like that. ROWE CHangers are nice and nostalgic, and hold enough tokens to keep me from having to refill it in a year, but.. they're large.

Quoted from MOSFET:

Any updates on your custom tokens? I'd love to get custom tokens made (when I have enough (read: any) machines to actually use them)!
    rockfordreplay do you have any designs in mind for your custom tokens?

Nothing from me yet - due to possible job change and moving, I haven't gone through the process. I HAVE art ready, but it's in AI format which I can't post here.

#19 4 years ago

The Rowe Changers may have been a better investment. The Seaga building is local to me and parts should be a drive away, however Rowe's part lookup on their website is perfect. Rowe has nice little changers too. Hmmm, I feeling a slight sensation of regret.

#20 4 years ago

The Rowe Changers may have been a better investment. The Seaga building is local to me and parts should be a drive away, however Rowe's part lookup on their website is perfect. Rowe has nice little changers too. Hmmm, I feeling a slight sensation of regret.

Maybe, maybe not - IMHO, NOW, Rowe's seem to be overpriced, riding on their name. Now, back in the 90's? 80's? There was a REASON they were priced as much as they were.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Maybe, maybe not - IMHO, NOW, Rowe's seem to be overpriced, riding on their name. Now, back in the 90's? 80's? There was a REASON they were priced as much as they were.

Very cool. Thank you.

#22 4 years ago

Keep in mind, it's just my opinion, and I've been known to be wrong before. I don't operate anymore, so I've never had any of these other brands of changers out in the wild. At *home*? I think the reliability won't be an issue. At home, the more important thing will be the appearance/look, admittedly.

2 months later
    #23 3 years ago

The next step... preparing to wrap the changer. This print was purchased from an Amazon supplier who specializes in bag-toss games. Their price was extremely low considering how large it is ($20 per 2'x4' sheet).

I intend to wrap the lower jaw over the coin-tray. This should place the eye-n-patch below the bill-feed plastic with the bills feeding into the pirate's bandanna. The changer's narrow size will trim the outer-sides of the skull while centering on the eyes, cheeks and nose. I'm thinking of trimming the excess from the bandanna's right, then folding the bandanna around the changer. The left side of the changer is empty for wall mounting. I'm thinking of leaving the factory change decal on and simply applying over it. The insert-bill plastic has texturing and could be resistant to wrapping. I'll give it a go and cross my fingers that I don't goof-it up.

ChangeWrap (resized).jpgChangeWrap (resized).jpg
    #24 3 years ago

Wrapped. I goofed a-bit; a little left-of-center. Not too professional, but I'm fine with it for now. Simply better than before. Now I need to build-up the mounting location.

ChangeWrapped (resized).jpgChangeWrapped (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hcuo-home-credit-use-only-ixnay-on-the-free-play?hl=sleepy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.