By Quickdraw19

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hayburners II Finish relay (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quickdraw19.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I've cleaned the finish switches and checked to see that they're adjusted properly. I checked continuity of the wiring from the switches to the connector.

When horse numbers 1, 3, 6, and occasionally 2 reach the end, it doesn't appear that is being detected - the respective lights don't come on and I believe the star for the odd/even side is supposed to advance.

Nothing happens when I manually contact any of the switches, even the working ones.

There is continuity on both sides of all those switches when they are not touching.

I followed the schematic and inspected everything that makes connection from the finish switches to the relays to the score motor. Of course I may have missed something. Everything else seems to be working correctly on the game. I lack understanding of the theory of operation of that horse track mechanism. I'm stuck on what to look at next. Any ideas would be awesome.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I think there's a jones plug on the race track next to the gear and ladder chain that connects all the race track switches to the rest of the game. You might try removing that jones plug and cleaning it with a wire brush and then reseating it a few times. Or you could unplug the game and just ohm it out with a meter to see if the resistance (not continuity) between each socket and its plug is about an ohm or less.
/Mark

Good idea, thanks. It's at a friends house and I haven't had a chance to check that yet. However, even if there is too much resistance on some of those connections, I'm baffled about why nothing happens when I manually trigger the working switches.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The Finish switches don't always work, just like the flipper buttons don't always work, because there's more to the circuit than just one switch:
[quoted image]
For a Finish switch to fire a Finish relay at least one other switch also needs to be closed.

Do you mean that there's continuity when you measure across an open Finish switch? That's because your meter sees a path from the white-black (W-B) wire to green-white (G-W) wire in the schematic above for example by going through the three coils shown, not through the switch. So yes, there is continuity. The problem is that continuity usually doesn't tell you much about EM circuits unless you study the schematic.

Instead of looking for a connection between both sides of the switch, I should be looking for voltage? Would using one of those light bulb testers work for something like this?

2 weeks later
#7 1 year ago

Follow up:
It turned out to be dirty switches. Originally I "cleaned" them with a piece of paper, the only thing handy. This time I had my tool bag with my trusty flex stone file.

The #1 Relay and #1 Release Relay was working so it had to be a problem with the #1 Switch. Unfortunately, I confused that with the one labeled #1 Back SW. I took that to mean the switch in the backbox. Then I realized there are targets at the back of the playfield mounted under where the backbox sits. I had someone push that target in while I shorted the finish switch and presto! I cleaned the switches properly and it's all good now. Lordy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quickdraw19.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hayburners-ii-some-horses-not-registering-when-reaching-the-end?tu=Quickdraw19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.