636609882855872009-AP-Hawaii-Volcano-Earthquake (resized).jpg
image-35 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20170629_184858 (resized).jpg
20170629_185248 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
download (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago
#2 5 years ago

I'd be more worried about the one in Yellowstone going off. Happens once every 640,000 years and it's over due. If it goes, that one will probably get us.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Mt. Rainier has been a bit quiet too. This will be something to see.

#4 5 years ago

Looks like it's getting closer to happening. The damage a major eruption like this could cause might stretch way beyond the Hawaiian Islands.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/03/us/kilauea-volcano-hawaii-earthquakes-trnd/index.html

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd be more worried about the one in Yellowstone going off. Happens once every 640,000 years and it's over due. If it goes, that one will probably get us.

Ive read/heard that if "Old Faithful" ever goes, the US will be covered in 3ft of ash towards the West Cost leveling out to a 1 foot on the East.

#6 5 years ago

Some of the larger volcanic eruptions of the past were responsible for the extinction of entire species.

#7 5 years ago

Probably all caused by global warming, climate change, or whatever current term they are using.

At least Kilauea has a sense of humor.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Probably all caused by global warming, climate change, or whatever current term they are using.

Truth of the matter is they say an asteroid might have caused an ice age, however huge volcanic eruptions might have and could have a similar effect on the earths atmosphere.

#9 5 years ago

Tons of ash in the atmosphere would definitely have a cooling effect. Could we be heading for another ice age?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Could we be heading for another ice age?

Not sure, but I'm going to ice down a few Jack and Cokes and watch this sucker erupt on prime time!

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Truth of the matter is they say an asteroid might have caused an ice age, however huge volcanic eruptions might have and could have a similar effect on the earths atmosphere.

who are this "they" you speak of and can "they" be trusted?!?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

who are this "they" you speak of and can "they" be trusted?!?

They (scientists) have actually gotten a lot better at predicting the weather and what caused catastrophic events of the past than when I was a child.

Lately when they say it's going to rain, it usually does.

But I don't need any scientific expert to tell me that when the crater inside a volcano drops and there have been hundreds of earthquakes in that region over the last few days that it might be a good time to pack it up and get the hell out of Dodge.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But I don't need any scientific expert to tell me that when the crater inside a volcano drops and there have been hundreds of earthquakes in that region over the last few days that it might be a good time to pack it up and get the hell out of Dodge.

Hey now. Just because the wells all went dry a year before Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD, doesn't mean people living in Pompeii, Herculaneum, Oplontis and Stabiae should get the hell out of Dodge.

Of course Dodge didn't exist then. Maybe that is why they all stayed there ?

#14 5 years ago

That's just great. I'm going there in two months. Good thing I bought trip insurance. Shit

#15 5 years ago

Hawaii is beautiful, and the odds are slim that something would happen in the span of a human lifetime. . . but living ON an active volcano is has its disadvantages.

I'm starting to rethink my trip to Yellowstone this year.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Of course Dodge didn't exist then. Maybe that is why they all stayed there ?

Now that's a mighty good point there.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#17 5 years ago

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#18 5 years ago

Looks like they had a 5.0 earthquake in the last hour or so. Plus hundreds of 2.0 earthquakes in the past days.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

That's just great. I'm going there in two months. Good thing I bought trip insurance. Shit

You're going to the Big Island? Because that's where the Hawaii National Volcano Park is (including Kilauea). It was definitely worth seeing in person. If you're going to one of the other islands like Oahu, Maui, or Kauai then I'm confident those folks are completely safe from any eruption. Good distance apart.

If Yellowstone ever erupts we're all screwed regardless of where we're located.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Hawaii is beautiful, and the odds are slim that something would happen in the span of a human lifetime. . . but living ON an active volcano is has its disadvantages.
I'm starting to rethink my trip to Yellowstone this year.

There will probably be plenty of warning...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180430131831.htm

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from JMcDonald:

You're going to the Big Island? Because that's where the Hawaii National Volcano Park is (including Kilauea). It was definitely worth seeing in person. If you're going to one of the other islands like Oahu, Maui, or Kauai then I'm confident those folks are completely safe from any eruption. Good distance apart.
If Yellowstone ever erupts we're all screwed regardless of where we're located.

Yeah, the Big Island.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Yeah, the Big Island.

It might be a little bigger by the time you get there.

#23 5 years ago

Make sure to take some Ravioli.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

On a related side note, when I traveled to Hawaii in the 90's I was stopped in the airport when boarding an island hopper flight because they saw something suspicious in my carry on bag. The baggage rummager was not interested in my pocket knife or multi-tool, but identified a can of soup as the suspicious object. I was on a slim budget at the time and was not about to leave food behind. Oh, how times have changed.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It might be a little bigger by the time you get there.

Kilauea is actually always in a state of eruption (for the past 3 decades?) It's a slowly erupting volcano but it has been doing so for decades and is one of the most active in the world. Lava flows shift over time and the areas you can view it from change as well. But a major eruption of Kilauea has not happened in some time as far as I know. Regardless, the big island is always getting bigger, lol.

#25 5 years ago

Sheesh! Yellowstone is overdue for an eruption.
We've had many ice ages. One of those is coming too.
Magnetic poles are going to reverse as well.
...and I hurt my toe this morning!

#26 5 years ago

My linking games to thread rights have been gone since almost the days of Pompeii. But there's always a way around everything.

image-35 (resized).jpgimage-35 (resized).jpg

#27 5 years ago

Yikes. Time to pack up and move to the southern hemisphere;. Even if it is true things are backwards and your pinballs start ejecting balls out of the drain trough hole

In all seriousness hopefully nothing major happens. At least not for a long long while.

#28 5 years ago

Hawaii, Japan, Indonesia are all on the west side of that ring of fire. San Francisco in on the east side at, or near, the San Andreas fault. Earthquakes and volcanos may not go hand-in-hand but they are kissin' cousins, so to speak. The last "big one" was 1989 when the Oakland Freeway collapsed. Before that, the other last Big One was 1906. There is another one out there....somewhere.

Anybody in Frisco have any pins they want to sell for cheap

#29 5 years ago

Run to the Hills
Run for your Lives

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

the San Andreas fault.

That's what I've got my ass sitting on right now.

The last real big one was the 1994 Northridge.

It is what they called a "blind thrust" where the ground felt like it rolled under us instead of a shake. I was sleeping on the floor because it was good for my back and it felt like somebody rolled that rug right under me. Did some major damage north of LA.

#31 5 years ago

Oh yeah, we're due alright. There was a lot of seismic activity and several good size quakes throughout the 80s into the mid 90s but hasn't been a lot since then.

When the big one hits I'll just run outside into a clearing like I've always done and hope the earth doesn't open up and swallow me whole. And hope the best for everybody else. But there is no denying it is coming. We just never know when.

#32 5 years ago

Heres one not talked about.

At the edge offshoots from Yellowstone, every 300 years, sand mounds erupt in the midwest.
Originally thought to be Indian burial grounds, hundreds of giant hills shoot out like zits.
Its been noted to be "regular" like old faithful, and should erupt in around 30 years.??
Several written reports from early settlers.
Can you imagine waking up to news of eruptions of sand only in Walmarts, Highways, Subdivisions, etc?

Blew me away when I researched this years ago.

Anyone in the midwest have these sand mounds nearby?

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Oh yeah, we're due alright. There was a lot of seismic activity and several good size quakes throughout the 80s into the mid 90s but hasn't been a lot since then.
When the big one hits I'll just run outside into a clearing like I've always done and hope the earth doesn't open up and swallow me whole. And hope the best for everybody else. But there is no denying it is coming. We just never know when.

In Missouri there is the New Madrid fault. It was quite active in the 1800s. Cracks were always opening up in the ground. IIRC, the cracks opened in the North-South direction. To keep from getting swallowed up in a crack, the locals cut down tall trees and laid them east to west. When the shakes would start the people would go hug those felled trees.

We have has a lot of earthquakes in Kansas and Oklahoma the last few years. The oil boys do not want to admit it but the high pressure deep water injections were doing things down deep in side the earth. In 2011, girlfriend and I were sitting in the couch and my house started rolling and pitching. At first, I thought it was a very high wind...but the leaves on my tree were not moving. It lasted about 20 seconds. Girlfriend had lived in Cali and said we just had an earthquake.

It was the strangest thing I have ever been in. I did not have time to get scared. I still have two cracks in my bedroom drywall because of it.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

A couple of scientists have said that when the polar caps melt and the oceans rise it puts more stress on the tectonic plates. We have more volcanic eruptions, which leads to an ice age.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

In Missouri there is the New Madrid fault. It was quite active in the 1800s. Cracks were always opening up in the ground. IIRC, the cracks opened in the North-South direction. To keep from getting swallowed up in a crack, the locals cut down tall trees and laid them east to west. When the shakes would start the people would go hug those felled trees.
We have has a lot of earthquakes in Kansas and Oklahoma the last few years. The oil boys do not want to admit it but the high pressure deep water injections were doing things down deep in side the earth. In 2011, girlfriend and I were sitting in the couch and my house started rolling and pitching. At first, I thought it was a very high wind...but the leaves on my tree were not moving. It lasted about 20 seconds. Girlfriend had lived in Cali and said we just had an earthquake.
It was the strangest thing I have ever been in. I did not have time to get scared. I still have two cracks in my bedroom drywall because of it.

Both sides are at fault for the earthquakes in Kansas, you are right some of drilling company’s send the contaminated water back into the well rather than dealing with the water. In western Kansas the earth quakes are caused by the wind farms, they anchor them down in the bedrock to keep them from toppling over from the Kansas wind. A couple years ago NPR in Hays had a geologist explain why there were so many earthquakes in northwest Kansas, when there had been none before. The answer was the wind farms and that the earthquakes would subside after a few years. Wichita earthquakes are due to the Oklahoma drillers sending contaminated water back into the ground.

#36 5 years ago

I guess it erupted and they are evacuating.....

#37 5 years ago

Wow!

636609882855872009-AP-Hawaii-Volcano-Earthquake (resized).jpg636609882855872009-AP-Hawaii-Volcano-Earthquake (resized).jpg

#38 5 years ago

‘Dance on a Volcano’, Genesis 1976

For the mother of all volcanoes, look up the ‘Siberian Traps.’

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

Both sides are at fault for the earthquakes in Kansas, you are right some of drilling company’s send the contaminated water back into the well rather than dealing with the water. In western Kansas the earth quakes are caused by the wind farms, they anchor them down in the bedrock to keep them from toppling over from the Kansas wind. A couple years ago NPR in Hays had a geologist explain why there were so many earthquakes in northwest Kansas, when there had been none before. The answer was the wind farms and that the earthquakes would subside after a few years. Wichita earthquakes are due to the Oklahoma drillers sending contaminated water back into the ground.

Please sight any sources that say this. I’m genuinely interested being that much of ND is now either fracked or wind farms.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

Both sides? I'm not understanding this. Are sides developing here?

I have not heard of this windmill/earthquake event before. So, I went Google searching. The only thing I can find about windmill-earthquakes is a blog site called feedingjimmy.com.

From what I read, all he has is a theory. And not much to back it up. Other than these two links, I can find nothing anywhere that talks about windmills and earthquakes. I can't find anything to reference the NPR/Hays connection. I like NPR, though.

http://www.okenergytoday.com/2016/01/blog-suggests-windmills-are-causing-earthquakes-in-oklahoma-not-injection-wells/

http://feedingjimmy.com/fracking-cause-earthquakes-windmills/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OTOH, if I google deep water injection, I get many items that talk about the effects of waste water injection and earthquakes. I find articles that talk about how waster water injection has a high correlation with earthquakes but that the wind turbine farms would be able to survive earthquakes without many issues.

Here are a couple of links. There are a many more.

hhtps://nawindpower.com/earthquakes-in-oklahoma-what-will-they-do-to-wind-turbines

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-does-injection-wastewater-depth-cause-earthquakes?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

#41 5 years ago

We heard about the earthquakes in Kansas and the surrounding areas. Kinda blew our minds out here.

#42 5 years ago

How long have they had wind farms in Cali? Perhaps that’s why there are so many earthquakes.

#43 5 years ago

There is a major wind farm out past Palm Springs. But these earthquakes are caused by big cracks in the earth, unstable ground, and tectonic plates that won't sit still.

I just go along for the ride.

#44 5 years ago

I just sold my Gottlieb Volcano. Now they will be worth a fortune. lol

#45 5 years ago

Youtube channel thirdphaseofmoon had some close up film of the smoke. They live on the island and go in close.

#46 5 years ago

FF1B74E8-2F20-4AAD-A445-3DB587357F84 (resized).jpegFF1B74E8-2F20-4AAD-A445-3DB587357F84 (resized).jpeg

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's what I've got my ass sitting on right now.
The last real big one was the 1994 Northridge.
It is what they called a "blind thrust" where the ground felt like it rolled under us instead of a shake. I was sleeping on the floor because it was good for my back and it felt like somebody rolled that rug right under me.

Probably more like you where drunk and passed out under an overpass and some bum gave ya a "blind thrust" that felt like the rug was pulled right out from under ya
Nothing to get steamed up about
Pix from last July when I visited the big island

20170629_185248 (resized).jpg20170629_185248 (resized).jpg

20170629_184858 (resized).jpg20170629_184858 (resized).jpg

#48 5 years ago

Heading to to the big island in June

#49 5 years ago

Thar she blows matey!

33F60488-0FA8-4C47-A86B-4EBCDE51918C (resized).jpeg33F60488-0FA8-4C47-A86B-4EBCDE51918C (resized).jpeg

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Quoted from Nevus:

Heading to to the big island in June

I'm heading to Hawaii myself this summer. Luckily, the Big Island wasn't in my plans on this trip. I've been there before, though. It's pretty damn cool standing just a couple feet away from flowing lava (until your shoes start melting, of course).

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hawaii-volcano-elert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.