• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dm78yf.jpg
cornholio.png
2015-10-20_23.22.50.png
There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

so here is the story. i have some nice watches, pins and other gameroom stuff, and i had a porsche. hung onto the porsche even though i never drove it. thought i would regret letting it go. finally just decided it had to go. some of you may remember my post trying to sell it here. i took a huge hit on sale. i had $70,000 into it and got just about half back. that sucked but best part is that i have realized i have absolutely no regrets now that it is gone. so wondering if i will feel the same letting some of my other stuff go? do i play all the games and wear all the watches? probably not as much as i should. just don't want to one day play creature or wear my panerai and say to myself, shit-i sold that one. anyone else struggle with this and how did it work out for you. thanks, ant

#2 8 years ago

Honestly I don't see a single game in your collection that I WOULDN'T regret letting go so I think you're stuck with them and you should feel good about it

My advice: sell some watches and buy more pinballs!

#3 8 years ago

Sell it all and dont look back, you can't take any of this to the grave.

#4 8 years ago

For me - it's a double edged sword.

I'd keep them all if I could. A)Space is limited, though you can always find storage, or a bathroom, or build a room if you REALLY had to.
Pinball funds are limited, so selling a game is part of getting more funds to buy other titles.

I miss them all, but no regrets. I like the feeling I get when something new to me gets into my hands...and for me it's even more interesting when it is an old classic with some problems, with some new puzzles to be solved. The ones I had are pleasant memories, that's all.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Honestly I don't see a single game in your collection that I WOULDN'T regret letting go so I think you're stuck with them and you should feel good about it
My advice: sell some watches and buy more pinballs!

lol. watches take up so much less space

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Sell it all and dont look back, you can't take any of this to the grave.

BUT if you dig a big enough hole.....

#7 8 years ago

I'm the same way with watches. I think about selling them because I'm not really into them anymore but just can't do it. Part of the reason is last time I sold one online, some asshole tried to scam me out of $3200.

Are you looking for any Breitlings? I'd consider trading some for pins.

I did the same thing with my boat. Thought I was really going to miss it, but a day after it was gone...no regrets. haha.

I sold my Land Rover Defender, missed it, bought another one a year later. Did the same thing with a Breitling Bentley Motors.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

anyone else struggle with this and how did it work out for you.

just sell them. and then buy something new.

if you dont play it or like it then no reason to keep it.

That said, what are you thinking of selling first? Hit me up with a good price and we will see how you feel after selling one

#9 8 years ago

lol. watches take up so much less space

But you and others can't play games on them.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

just sell them. and then buy something new.
if you dont play it or like it then no reason to keep it.
That said, what are you thinking of selling first? Hit me up with a good price and we will see how you feel after selling one

ok, i will let you know. trying hard to think of ten keepers. ideally, it would be less but i know there is no way i can do it

#11 8 years ago

ok, i will let you know. trying hard to think of ten keepers. ideally, it would be less but i know there is no way i can do it

sell me SC for a good price please. It is tiny and you wont even miss it, lol.
I can take BSD since I am there. It is too scary and the kids probably never play it anyway

#12 8 years ago

In all honesty, I looked at your collection and it somewhat of a monotype. Sell a few and try some of the other games out there. LOTS of great GTB games, early SS games, non B/W games that may get you back into the playing more?

#13 8 years ago

You need to find something to let go, surely there are 1 or 2 games in the top 20 you haven't owned yet?

#14 8 years ago

Pins are like women: some you remember fondly and almost wish you could have back.
and then there are others that make you glad they are gone.

#15 8 years ago

I'd be interested in buying your CFTBL. Let's get the ball rolling!

#17 8 years ago

Nice collection.

#18 8 years ago

Hey Ant,

When you say you're struggling with letting some of your games go, are you struggling with actually selling them or the idea that you just won't have them anymore? In other words, do you like having them for the sake of having them and being able to say "check out what I have" or do you geniunely like to play pinball?

If you genuinely like to play pinball, you'll probably miss them. The good news is that if you do miss having them you can always buy a few games again. If you like the idea of having games but don't really play, I don't think you're going to miss them. In other words, if they're just possessions, you won't miss them.

My advice would be to sell a couple and see how you feel. If you don't miss them then keep on selling them. If you really miss them then either enjoy what remains or buy a few new ones to keep your interest up.

Dave

#19 8 years ago

Watches are to men what shoes are to woman... you can never have enough
Since I got my Gear S I never wear any of these, perhaps it is time to let them go

2015-10-20_23.22.50.png2015-10-20_23.22.50.png

#20 8 years ago

I don't like to sell either, but when I have to I choose a game that I play the least, and/or easiest to replace. So far no regrets after all 6 sales once they were gone. I'm really fond of my collection at the moment so the next round (coming soon) will be much tougher decisions. Maybe you're just due to swap a few out to refresh your lineup, that way the new games will make you forget the old? You are definitely lacking in EM/SS machines, may be worth trying some out?

Your collection is very nice, as you have some that would be tough to replace (SC, Tron LE, ACDC LE?), and the rest not so bad. However if the rest are in cherry condition then yes you'll have a tougher time replacing them as well. On the other hand if that's the case, your games will fetch enough money so that if you decide you want one of them back (you will not want them all back) then you'll have the cash in hand to do so.

The following is my personal opinion based on my tastes and rarity, feel free to ignore it

Keepers: SC METLE IJ GNR ACDCLE MM TAF TRONLE
Borderline: WOZ
Let Go: BSD AFM FH STTNG WH20 SS CFTBL MB TZ

You may also find yourself surprised and get an offer you can't refuse on games you thought were keepers

#21 8 years ago

I don't own a watch and do know why anyone would these days. Time is on your phone why have a watch on your wrist?

As far as selling pins - I have bought and sold plenty of them and sure there are some I am sorry I sold but I am more sorry about the ones I have kept in storage for a year or two and never had a chance to play yet. When you only have space for 1/3 of the machines you own and keep buying more something is wrong and that is where I have been for the past 3 years. I even have two in my van right now with no place to unload them!

Over the years I have owned boats, motorcycles, motorhomes, nice vehicles, houses, etc and have bought and sold more stuff than 10 "normal people" will own in a lifetime and I can honestly say I can count on one hand what I am sorry I sold. When I was in college I owned 137 cars in 4 years. When I was in my 30 I moved 7 times one year owning 3 different house that year. I am 61 this year and in the past 7 years I have owned almost 400 pins. Every time I move one I keep thinking I need to sell all of them and get into something smaller & lighter but I doubt that is ever going to happen.

It is kind of funny because today my son & I were talking and I keep telling him something an old friend told me years ago "the more you own the more you have to take care of" and how true that is. We got on the topic because it is getting close to Winter and I really don't feel like Winterizing the toys. I keep looking at people who own less and I am starting to envy them!

Sell what you don't want and don't look back! And with that said, by Spring I'll have about 40 or 50 pins for sale just so I can get out of a couple more storage units. And shortly after that I'll have a complete woodshop, thousands of dollars in Snap On mechanics tools and other junk headed out the door also. If you live near Central PA and need more "junk" I'll be selling plenty of it shortly!

#22 8 years ago

I've only missed one game after selling it... And I ended up buying another.

If you want to cut down grab a deck of cards. Count out the number of cards that represent the number of pins you want to keep. Put them in your pocket. Then go play your games leaving a card on each game you play until you are out of cards. You have to play full games with your best effort. What happens when you add playing games to the decision is that the games you keep for other reasons don't end up with a card. Only the fun games survive. And this way you are not picking the losers, only the winners.

#23 8 years ago

I never wore a watch as they are not comfortable and just get in the way when I work on things. I have never had a problem getting rid of material goods as they just weigh you down.

As far as my pinballs are concerned I would have a hard time letting some of them go as many are not that common and in very good shape and would not easily find them again. But the OP does not have this problem as his collection is as cookie cutter as it gets and all are easily replaceable.

#24 8 years ago

It is the emotional attachment that can be a real problem. Other Pinsiders can list any number of your games. The first one you bought might be the toughest to get rid of.

#25 8 years ago

My 2 cents and it probably means nothing. It's all stuff. Letting it go or keeping it is irrelevant. Just do whatever makes you happy. Our time here is limited so just do whatever makes you happy. If in the future you regret it, so what. Life goes on.
That being said, you have a beautiful collection. I'm certain there are many of us that would be more than happy to help compensate whatever you decide to get rid of.
I've sold a few machines I think I'd like to have held on to. Can I get them back? Yeah - at a cost.
Just be happy and do what you feel is best for YOU.
All the best.

#26 8 years ago

You should at least keep Addams family just to show fester you can indeed take it with you ....

I have missed pins in the past and bought them again and eventually they get sold again do to space or money issues.

If I had unlimited money and space you could all come to my estate sale.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Your collection is very nice, as you have some that would be tough to replace

Quoted from o-din:

his collection is as cookie cutter as it gets and all are easily replaceable.

Somebody doesn't know what they are talking about. Which is it??

#28 8 years ago

I'm getting to the point in my life where I'm ready to start selling off the stuff I've hoarded forever, just to simplify my life.

I don't need these things.

#29 8 years ago

thanks guys. some really insightful thoughts and opinions selling tron le was easy because i had two. in the past, i sold tom, ss, tspp, lotr, jumping jack, tz, and cactus canyon. had to get tz and ss back but haven't missed tom, tspp, jumping jack, cactus, and lotr. i ideally should be at around five games but i have no idea how i am going to narrow it down. that is the problem

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

It is the emotional attachment that can be a real problem. Other Pinsiders can list any number of your games. The first one you bought might be the toughest to get rid of.

yes, and that is why i had to get TZ back

#31 8 years ago

and by the way, i know i have a hoarding problem. hearing some of your opinions does help. thanks, ant

#32 8 years ago

and another problem - pins are just part of this. i have around another 20 game room related items including vids, air hockey, darts, foos, ........ it is a mess but i need to start somewhere

#33 8 years ago

Ant,
I think I might be able to help.. Send your STLE to me here on the west coast and I will store it for you

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ant,
I think I might be able to help.. Send your STLE to me here on the west coast and I will store it for you

i didn't even get that one yet. setting up shipping for it this week.

#35 8 years ago

and another problem - pins are just part of this. i have around another 20 game room related items including vids, air hockey, darts, foos, ........ it is a mess but i need to start somewhere

like a band aid man! just rip it off!!!!

Seriously. It seems obvious with you language that this is a problem best dealt with by doing a BUNCH of selling in a short time. In order to do this you need to actually price games slightly below market. You want a line out the door of people looking to buy and just make it clear no haggling. Pick your 10 to keep and sell the other half. Purging can feel really good. Plus side is you will have a pile of cash. I suggest using it to pay down a loan so it will have longer term gratification.

#36 8 years ago

and by the way, i know i have a hoarding problem. hearing some of your opinions does help. thanks, ant

You think you have a hoarding problem. I am at over 50 pins. Yes i have a hoarding problem.

10 years ago I sold off almost all my video games. Had some really nice games, Star Wars, Disc of Tron, Tron, sit down Red Baron, Spy Hunter, Tempest, Well over 50 vids. I now have 3 vids. Do I miss them, Hell yeah!! But I can do without them? Hell yeah!!
My next step was to sell off all my bingo pins. Then went all my EM's. Then sold off all my oddball pins and some of my newer pins. Once you let a few go it starts rolling from there. The only reason I still have so many is because my work picked up and was working 70 hours a week. Didn't have time to sell anymore. Just left everything sit from 09 until 2 years ago. Slowly getting stuff organized and weeding out. I know I need to sell off around half of what I got. Most my games are older ss games in players condition to projects. At the point I would rather have just a few nice DMD games and trade back and for with others.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I know I need to sell off around half of what I got.

hit me up when medusa and skateball need a home

#38 8 years ago

Now, there is almost nothing I would't sell. I recently had a Toy Store Guy come over and take a BUNCH of my toys, models and various stuff I haven't even seen in 20 years! Sold the pins when I was offered more than double what I paid on some. (My first Scared Stiff I bought for $2,800 and sold for $6) Even though I've had SS three times...I still miss her)
The watches I always buy and sell. It's handy having a Watchmaker with a store as a friend!
It DOES feel good to "lighten the load" ....

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

hit me up when medusa and skateball need a home

At the rate I'm going it could be another 2 years before I see those games. There buried in the back.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

At the rate I'm going it could be another 2 years before I see those games. There buried in the back.

sounds good. For a killer price, I can come over for a weekend and help you dig them out and sort through the other stuff (serious offer as I like helping out with pins; sometimes more than working on my own crap)

#41 8 years ago

I can help you with that MB.

#42 8 years ago

sell them in order of least to most favorite and then stop when you feel remorse that lasts more than a month. Your games should sell fairly promptly if you price them right. That might be your stumbling block right there...

#43 8 years ago

i ideally should be at around five games but i have no idea how i am going to narrow it down. that is the problem

That's easy, keep tabs on which games you play for a month or two and you'll see which ones you really like and which ones are maybe less important to keep

#44 8 years ago

I feel you with the attachment thing. It probably isn't the healthiest but if it causes problems in relationships or becomes unmanageable then it is a problem. I can name every location where Ive played my games in the wild when I was a kid (with the exception of 3). As some have said, if you enjoy it with no detriment the the hell with it and play on! If not, ditch a few that you honestly know you could do without (there are a few, I even have some). It sounds like you shouldn't sell the TZ this time around

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Somebody doesn't know what they are talking about. Which is it??

Ha! We've come a long way in this hobby. There was a decade-long period where any decent collection had the same lineup of B/W "A-listers" so going to a collector's house resulted in playing the same set of games everyone else owned... boring! Fortunately Stern made that less of an issue.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

There was a decade-long period where any decent collection had the same lineup of B/W "A-listers" so going to a collector's house resulted in playing the same set of games everyone else owned... boring! Fortunately Stern made that less of an issue.

Yeah. Nobody owns all the same Stern games now.

#47 8 years ago

so here is the story. i have some nice watches, pins and other gameroom stuff, and i had a porsche. hung onto the porsche even though i never drove it. thought i would regret letting it go. finally just decided it had to go. some of you may remember my post trying to sell it here. i took a huge hit on sale. i had $70,000 into it and got just about half back. that sucked but best part is that i have realized i have absolutely no regrets now that it is gone. so wondering if i will feel the same letting some of my other stuff go? do i play all the games and wear all the watches? probably not as much as i should. just don't want to one day play creature or wear my panerai and say to myself, shit-i sold that one. anyone else struggle with this and how did it work out for you. thanks, ant

Seriously, If you ever want to sell that Metallica let me know. I would have to sell all my project pins in my collection just to be able to buy it. It would be a WIN, WIN, for both of us. I was just in Morristow NJ last weekend picking up a game and fell in love with his Metallica.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

sounds good. For a killer price, I can come over for a weekend and help you dig them out and sort through the other stuff (serious offer as I like helping out with pins; sometimes more than working on my own crap)

Man, all this talk about selling games and cutting down the heard is giving me the buying itch.
MUST BUY SOMETHING NOW!!!!
Someone sell me a cheap project game quick!!!!

Let me get a little more uncluttered and I just might take you up on that one. But not the Medusa. She stays. But hey, I got doubles and triples of many games.

#49 8 years ago

... i had a porsche. ... i took a huge hit on sale. i had $70,000 into it and got just about half back. ...

Damn, wish I saw that post... I would jump on a nice Porsche deal like that! Probably can't fit a pin though, and my old hatchback does. Nobody makes a nice sporty and versatile hatchback anymore, so I'm still hanging onto my Mercury Cougar. Before that, it was a Daytona Shelby 2.2. Can't understand why the sports hatchbacks have disappeared.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I've only missed one game after selling it... And I ended up buying another.
If you want to cut down grab a deck of cards. Count out the number of cards that represent the number of pins you want to keep. Put them in your pocket. Then go play your games leaving a card on each game you play until you are out of cards. You have to play full games with your best effort. What happens when you add playing games to the decision is that the games you keep for other reasons don't end up with a card. Only the fun games survive. And this way you are not picking the losers, only the winners.

For some games, I simply like the art package, even if the gameplay isn't very good (Space Invaders, for example). So I enjoy looking at them as an art piece more than as a playable game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 64.99
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/having-some-problems-letting-pins-go/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.