5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Chrisbee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hey all! In light of recent events, I just wanted to re-emphasize that having more than one account on Pinside is not allowed. Those accounts will be closed (retired), if found. Often time we will also close your main account if we found you having more accounts.

Please note, I have a handful of specific people an exception to this rule in the past (business/personal), but will no longer be doing this.

Thanks for sticking to the site rules!

4 weeks later
    #3 5 years ago

Prevent this with combined MAC and IP address checking.

#4 5 years ago

MAC address checking? Is that even possible? We're currently only banning on IPs, if you have a better mechanism, then I'd be interested to hear it (PM)!

#5 5 years ago

Oh it's not? I just assumed it was.

#6 5 years ago

Good. Get rid of losers on here that created multiples for a malicious agenda. That's my suggestion.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Oh it's not? I just assumed it was.

Nope. MAC address is only used for local routing, and it is not included in the IP packets that get routed across the internet.

Blocking by IP address is also not very useful since most ISPs use dynamic IPs. When the IP changes, the user will no longer be blocked, and you run the risk of blocking other valid users.

Luckily, this community is small enough that we can figure out who's who most of the time. The best answer would be for people to just follow the rules, but we all know that will never happen.

#8 5 years ago

I don't know all the tech talk, but to play devil's advocate - would this eliminate actual different users from same location (thinking family members in same house)?

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from ozuba:

I don't know all the tech talk, but to play devil's advocate - would this eliminate actual different users from same location (thinking family members in same house)?

No it does not. We understand some people log in from the same location from time to time.

#10 5 years ago

Multiple accounts are indeed often recognisable by behaviour IP blocking appears to work rather well, I think many peeps are on fixed IP's nowadays.

But I would be very interested in your ideas to help stop spam on the forum. It has been crazy the last few weeks (as the moderators will probably concur). I have had some tricks in place, which worked well for the past few years, but these latest bots (are they even bots or do they use actual people) seem to go round them lately.

#11 5 years ago

TY for this. The fact that some people are using multiple accounts on the site is straight up silly. The only reason to have more than one site name per user is to work your own agenda. Hopefully people who are doing this will delete their secondary accounts so they don't get the boot altogether.

Good luck Robin and keep up the great efforts that make this the best site on the net.

#12 5 years ago

Make it more difficult to obtain an account. Maybe show a backglass image and require the potential user to identify the machine or something like that. That doesn't help prevent the multiple account issue, but it would help prevent the bot / non-pinhead issue.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

No it does not. We understand some people log in from the same location from time to time.

Yes, for example my husband and I have seperate accounts but work together and of course will show in the same IP at home, so we have multiple duplicate IPs. We mods do quite a bit of research before banning anyone as a duplicate, and even then we've made a mistake or two and fixed it, but on the whole we try hard to be fair and understanding. Most spam is obvious and quickly taken care of, but there has been an increasing number lately.

#14 5 years ago

Lots of spammers showing up recently. Maybe some sort of filter so that if someone's first post contains a link, then it alerts a mod?

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

MAC address checking? Is that even possible? We're currently only banning on IPs, if you have a better mechanism, then I'd be interested to hear it (PM)!

nope, I have worked a lot with scripted duplicate user stuff in vBulliten, but this isn't vB (thankfully!)

#16 5 years ago

Is spamming/multiple accounts a mark of success for the forum?

#17 5 years ago

Thanks Robin! Making pinside better 1 day at a time! Getting rid of the trash.

#18 5 years ago

I was an admin on a vBulletin site with 50,000 active users and had to deal with spammers on a daily basis.

vBulletin provided a way to block IP ranges; you could also search for users under any IP range. I would check ranges of IPs and block them if no "good" users were in the range.

I assume robin could do that, too.

Also we implemented a way to prevent new users from posting anything for 24 hours; and all new posts had to be approved by a moderator until the user reached a certain number of posts.

A new user could request to be taken out of "purgatory" and they were given a message when signing up that all they had to do was PM a moderator and prove they were not bots.

Also we implemented a way of not showing new users in publicly viewable lists of users (such as the one that Pinside has in the side bar)... after 10 posts and about 50 days, they would automatically be moved into the new user group.

Also we eliminated ability of unvetted users of sending PMs (which often contained spam).

This cut down on incidents of spam about 95% (at least stuff that main users had to see).

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Also we implemented a way to prevent new users from posting anything for 24 hours; and all new posts had to be approved by a moderator until the user reached a certain number of posts.

This approach would put me off any site, I do see the logic but if i'm going to a site like this it is cos i have an issue with a machine and want answers. if i have to wait, then i would just fine another site. Most of us found Pinside in a seach for answer.

I don't think Spam is a BIG issue on Pinside, and when it does appear, the Pinside community are good at reporting occurrence and the mods jump in and remove quickly. This approach also works for poor taste and personal attack type posts too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 8.40
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 219.99
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Apparel - Men
    Pinball Haus
    $ 22.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    $ 999.00
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside