3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Dayhuff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 months ago

So, after watching some streaming here and there of many players, and many (most) of those players are better than me no contest.
    What I have noticed from stronger players is having ball cradled on say the left flipper then repeatedly hitting right flipper multiple times extremely quickly before shooting the ball with left flipper.

Is this a "thing"
    Are you getting a "feel for it" or something?
    Am I missing something here
    Is I dumb?
    Are you changing your coil stops like shitloads more than me because of this?

Curious, thx.

#2 3 months ago

They maybe scrolling through the info screens- tells info about extra balls, orbits needed, jackpot value... ect, ect

#3 3 months ago

I see it and find no reason for it.
    You are already in the game and have had the opportunity to feel out the flippers, to just flip like that for no reason is ridiculous.
    One note would be for the inlane light change.
    -Mike

#4 3 months ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

So, after watching some streaming here and there of many players, and many (most) of those players are better than me no contest.
    What I have noticed from stronger players is having ball cradled on say the left flipper then repeatedly hitting right flipper multiple times extremely quickly before shooting the ball with left flipper.
    Is this a "thing"
    Are you getting a "feel for it" or something?
    Am I missing something here
    Is I dumb?
    Are you changing your coil stops like shitloads more than me because of this?
    Curious, thx.

If there are 2 balls trapped on one flipper, but neither of them are nestled into the crook where the flipper meets the lane guide, then flipping the opposite flipper causes enough vibration where the balls will settle into place, and one of the balls will eventually nestle into the crook. This allows for more predictable handling of the balls. (insert ball handling joke here)

The other scenario, and I'm not sure if this actually works or not, is when trying to trap a ball, and the ball is rolling towards the tip of the flipper, flipping the opposite flipper is creating vibrations and opposing force that prevent the ball from rolling off of the tip with the flipper up. Again, not sure if this actually works but I do it by force of habit at this point.

Side note: I do not consider myself a "strong" player by any means

#5 3 months ago

ball cradled on say the left flipper then repeatedly hitting right flipper multiple times extremely quickly before shooting the ball with left flipper.

I think fatpanda nailed it. Before you do a cradle separation you want those balls in a resting position. Depending on the game, sometimes a single ball will not roll back to the crook if it’s closer to the tip. The vibration helps get it moving.

#6 3 months ago

Lot's of it happening here. No lane changes, too fast fro screen info. one instance there is two balls on one flipper. A few times its random and no ball even on a flipper.

I'm thinking more a built up habit than anythning.

#7 3 months ago

For me sometimes it's to get a ball to settle. Sometimes it's to create muscle memory for a soft tap pass flip. Sometimes (usually) it's just nerves/habit.

There really isn't a concern of wearing out coil stops or other parts faster because of it. Gotta remember these are commercial machines, made for thousands and thousands of flips. A few dozen extra aren't going to hurt anything.

#8 3 months ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

For me sometimes it's to get a ball to settle. Sometimes it's to create muscle memory for a soft tap pass flip. Sometimes (usually) it's just nerves/habit.
    There really isn't a concern of wearing out coil stops or other parts faster because of it. Gotta remember these are commercial machines, made for thousands and thousands of flips. A few dozen extra aren't going to hurt anything.

Plus coil stops are cheap and easy to replace. I wouldn't let that stop me even if it meant a little bit more wear.

#9 3 months ago

guilty of this myself. i dont do it for any reason other than i love to press flipper buttons, and the sound of flippers makes me happy. i like to hear all manufacturers flipper sounds; they all sound very distinct from one another.

#10 3 months ago

Lot's of it happening here. No lane changes, too fast fro screen info. one instance there is two balls on one flipper. A few times its random and no ball even on a flipper.
    I'm thinking more a built up habit than anythning.

Go to the 15 second mark in the video. You'll see that like FatPanda said, the two balls on the right flipper aren't completely settled. Giving the game a wiggle also wiggles the tilt bob. Flip the right flipper and you're liable to go a little overboard and now you have a jail break. Hitting the left flipper a pile of times helps get them into a two ball trap so you can then cradle separate.

You can watch the player, he gently hits the right flipper to get them moving and then hits the left flipper a bunch of times really quickly to keep them moving if possible. It's a delicate balance to get them into a manageable position.

I only watched the first 30 seconds of the video, so that's the first instance I saw.

Edit -> I watched some more. A good bit of it was either nervousness or impatience. There were also times where the player was trying to get that extra inlane. The ball rolls up the flipper, hits the switch, you hit the flipper quick and switch lights to the other inlane thereby getting a two for one.

I find myself doing that out of habit even on games where the ball either doesn't have enough momentum to get up to trip the switch or games where there isn't even a movable inlane light. It's just habit at that point.

#11 3 months ago

It's not always to settle balls. It can be habit, or to get a feel for the flipper. Also think about a baseball batter. So many different stances, quirks, styles they use. Whatever works to win

#12 3 months ago

Rick and Morty sucks....

#13 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

Rick and Morty sucks....

Awe,
    You didn’t get one?

#14 3 months ago

Also, completely irrelevant to the topic.

#15 3 months ago

Yup, what Spyderturbo said.

John

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 11.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 10.00
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Hardware
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 75.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Nerd Decals
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside