(Topic ID: 110020)

Have you sold a pin on ebay? Experiences, questions...

By joemagiera

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Astropin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

For those of you that have sold a pin on ebay, especially those that have sold pins on ebay more than once, can you relate your experiences, pros, cons, what to do, what to avoid doing? These questions relate specifically to selling a whole game, not parts or other stuff. Mainly because of the size and shipping involved.

Do you start with a low opening bid or close to the minimum you really want to get?
    Do you put on a buy-it-now?
    Do you put on a reserve?
    What pictures are most important (probably best asked by what specific types of pictures do people ask for most)?
    Do you offer to ship or pick up only?
    Do you add in $400 (or whatever) to your minimum or reserve so you can offer "free shipping"?
    Do you still offer it for sale on CL or pinside or whatever? If so, how do you handle the ebay listing if you sell it otherwise? Just cancel it?
    What has been your experience with the prices you got? Less than expected? More? How close to the Boston Pinball averages (taking condition into account)?
    Do you have better results selling shopped out pins or unshopped? I mean, of course you get higher prices shopping it, but do you find the higher price worth the time and expense of shopping it?
    Any problems with payment? Ever had anyone challenge it through paypal? How was that handled? Did you win or did paypal ding you?
    In the end, is it worth it to sell on ebay? Would you sell again? (I guess that's a self-answering question for those that have sold just once and same for those that have sold a lot).
    Has anyone from the Chicago area sold on ebay? Anything advantageous to selling from around here?
    Anything else you can add?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions the instant after I hit send, but this is a start. Thanks for any advice and feedback you would be willing to share. I suspect there are more people interested in your answers than just me.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
    [email protected]

#2 9 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

Any particular day of week & time of day you feel is better to start your listings?
    Just a general 7 day auction, or a 30 day fixed price auction?

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
    [email protected]

#3 9 years ago

Ebay really isn't the best way to sell a high-cost item any more.

They just increased the seller fee cap: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebay-valuation-fees-from-250-to-750

Plus, the risk involved with using paypal: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813448

You're better off putting up a FS thread here and doing a cash sale with a local-only pick-up.

For photos, clear images of the backglass (front and back), detailed shots of the playfield (with the glass off), photo of all sides of the cabinet, the boards inside the backbox (especially a shot of the MPU's battery area), the transformer inside the lower cabinet, and the underside of the playfield, and the shooter lane. Also, a couple of photos of the machine turned on. If you want to go the extra mile, record a short video of the machine being played.

Make sure to note any defects and/or any worn areas. It's best to be up-front about these, otherwise you may end up with an unhappy buyer.

If you want to get the most amount of money for your pin, a working, clean, and shopped machine will fetch more than a project machine. However, if you're asking a reasonable price for a project machine, it will sell, as there are many people who fix them up as a hobby--this would save you the trouble and cost of shopping.

#4 9 years ago

Sell it on Pinside.

No fees.

No Paypal.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sell it on Pinside.
    No fees.
    No Paypal.

yes Price Police

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sell it on Pinside.
    No fees.
    No Paypal.

I've used Paypal for all three of my pins. Some people have worse experiences than others. To each their own, I suppose but regardless, it does work. I make sure they come from a reputable source (Pinside of course) before using it with someone.

#7 9 years ago

Let the price police howl all they want.

A game finally sells for what the market will pay.

You see properly priced games sell in minutes, you see overpriced games linger for weeks of price reductions - but in the end, the game sells for exactly what it is worth.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfanoz:

I've used Paypal for all three of my pins.

You should break that habit, sooner rather than latter:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813448

#9 9 years ago

pinside is a smaller market though and people on pinside tend to NOT pay top dollar. most want pins for peanuts. but of course, if they were selling that same pin they suddenly want Gold for it...lol

#10 9 years ago

I have sold 3 pins on pinside. All have been pleasant experiences. All three pins have been picked up at my house. It does not necessary have to be local buyers. The guys that bought mine drove considerable distances. I don't see how it could be any easier.

#11 9 years ago

pinside preferred
    ebay a total crapshoot.

many horror stories. and alot of the time they are shipped.

dealing local or pinside is the way to go for a smooth stress free deal

#12 9 years ago

ebay is kind of a "hot mess" of a place to sell your pinball. But float it out there.... if priced somewhere appropriate to a little higher than what its worth, I may spark conversation about selling it to the person.

pinside great place but you may get eaten alive if you miss something in your description or come in a little high...

craigslist...... the wild frontier! giddy-up!

#13 9 years ago

opps typo..

Quoted from pinnaf:

I may spark conversation about selling it to the person

meant to say IT may spark conversation..........................................

#14 9 years ago

Buying and selling pinball machines is best kept to Pinside, Craigslist, and Mr. Pinball. eBay has a lot of policies that are hostile toward local pickup, such as requiring PayPal and forbidding cash payments. Did I mention the buyer has a 180 day no questions asked return policy on eBay? Do you really want the machine back after the buyer breaks something?

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

pinside is a smaller market though and people on pinside tend to NOT pay top dollar. most want pins for peanuts. but of course, if they were selling that same pin they suddenly want Gold for it...lol

+1. Ebay can get you top dollar in an auction setting (minus the fees, of course) It's the overpriced BIN pins that sit. Put that thing at auction at some reasonable starting price and you will get the market value of whatever the market will bear, or whomever just wants it bad enough.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfanoz:

I've used Paypal for all three of my pins. Some people have worse experiences than others. To each their own, I suppose but regardless, it does work. I make sure they come from a reputable source (Pinside of course) before using it with someone.

You can give a reputable person a gun to point at your balls, but that doesn't mean you should. I wouldn't put anyone in a position of being 3 clicks away from guaranteeing a full refund of their money.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

You can give a reputable person a gun to point at your balls, but that doesn't mean you should. I wouldn't put anyone in a position of being 3 clicks away from guaranteeing a full refund of their money.

There's a risk in anything you do. You take a risk not getting run over just going to your own car in a parking area.

For example, getting a pin that's quoted to be in excellent and working condition, may not be after all that leads to a boatload of problems then having the person you sold it to send you email after email depending on you to fix it when you told them once sold and goes out the door, its theirs to deal with.

Can you be robbed via PayPal, absolutely. There's no foolproof system at this point and people would rather pay off their investment on their CC over time than plunk it all down at once.

That's the upside of PayPal, at least.

#18 9 years ago

I have sold (or traded) every single pin on Pinside (9 in the last two years). eBay / PayPal just seems crazy dumb to me (might not be for you). Too many ways to get ripped off. I have purchased "most" of them here as well. Two were in fact eBay pins......but I emailed the seller outside of eBay, agreed to a fair market price and picked up in person using cash. And truth be told I still overpaid a little for those two when the condition was not all it was cracked up to be.

I sell a lot of shit on eBay.....just not anything that can't be easily boxed up and carried with one arm into my local post office.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-sold-a-pin-on-ebay-experiences-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.