(Topic ID: 285411)

Have you seen this EM pinball repair book?

By MarkG

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dmarston
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dabney Book 5 (resized).jpg
    Dabney Book 2 (resized).jpg
    Dabney Book 1 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I've come across an EM pinball repair book recently that I haven't seen before. Searching and asking around I haven't found anything more about it other than "©1976 Dabney Publications" and the name "Miller" on the binding. Has anyone seen this book before? Does anyone know anything about the author, the publisher or the background of this book?
    Dabney Book 1 (resized).jpgDabney Book 1 (resized).jpg
    Dabney Book 2 (resized).jpgDabney Book 2 (resized).jpg
    Dabney Book 5 (resized).jpgDabney Book 5 (resized).jpg
    First impressions are that this is a valuable addition to the limited number of publications that address EM pinball repair and troubleshooting. I've compiled a list of similar publications at https://www.funwithpinball.com/resources/repair-books

/Mark

#2 3 years ago

Looks like a rare one. Do you actually have a copy of it?

#3 3 years ago

Is there a title page and verso, and/or ISBN anywhere in it? I'm thinking self-published.

#4 3 years ago

Wonder if it was Ted Dabney: https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/ted-dabney/Content?oid=18892490

(Confirmed by the thread below — yes!)

#5 3 years ago

Thin lead here, but one pinsider in this thread posted that he wanted a reprint that was planned 8 years ago.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-name-a-pinball-repair-book-reprint-1#post-531463

#6 3 years ago

Thanks @HowardR. Clearly your google-fu is stronger than mine. I wonder why that didn't come up in my searches.

That's a great tip. Now I want to know more. Like, whose name is on the binding?

And no, no ISBN, Library of Congress number, publisher address, etc.. Nothing more that I can see.

#7 3 years ago

I'm going to check in with a librarian friend who is still working and see if there is a 'record' for it.

#8 3 years ago

It's interesting the author used an illustration of a 1971 machine on the cover. I think it's a Lawman with 2" flippers???

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from fredsmythson:

It's interesting the author used an illustration of a 1971 machine on the cover. I think it's a Lawman with 2" flippers???

Yes, to my eyes that illustration definitely has the playfield layout of Gottlieb's Lawman. And the score motor, relay bank, front door, drop target bank, and bonus stepper are all based on (but not exact representations of) the Gottlieb versions of these components. So that was likely the machine that the artist used as a reference.

I agree the flippers look weirdly small, but I think that is just the way the artist drew them. Overall, I think it's a really nice illustration. It reminds me of the "visible pinball machine" that was made by the Pacific Pinball Museum folks.

Many thanks to MarkG for bringing this rare book to our attention!

- TimMe

#10 3 years ago

How in the world did you ever find this book?

#11 3 years ago

I was lucky enough to get a tip from a fellow pinsider and EM Pinball Online Repair Clinic participant for which I am very grateful.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:I was lucky enough to get a tip from a fellow pinsider and EM Pinball Online Repair Clinic participant for which I am very grateful.

I know he's kicking himself now for not buying it when he first found it.

I'm no lawyer, but because this was printed/copyrighted prior to 1978 when copyright laws changed, it appears as though this book could be reprinted (legally) for sharing among our EM community. If it poses a problem, we can always donate any proceeds to Project Pinball. I'd pay to have a reprinted copy for reference and enjoyment reading. If we have a hybrid lawyer/pinball enthusiast among us, chime in.

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html

1 week later
    #13 3 years ago

Hey, I was involved in the earlier thread, so I figured I would drop in here and add a bit of information

Marty Goldberg works with me at the Midwest Gaming Classic and we're still friends. A number of people from this thread reached out, so I ended up contacting him yesterday. He is still hoping to publish a reprint, he's been a bit delayed, partly because Ted Dabney, who yes - this was written by the co-founder of Atari - passed away in 2018, partly because there wasn't a ton of interest originally, and partially because he doesn't have an easily reprintable version of the book. He is still hoping to do it.

Marty is one of the foremost historians on Atari, and published a book about Atari a few years ago. It's really good:

https://www.amazon.com/Atari-Inc-Business-Curt-Vendel/dp/0985597402

Marty became friends with Dabney, so the project was done with the total blessing of him. If you'd like a copy of this, probably the most important thing to do is express interest in actually getting a copy so that it makes it worth the while.

If everyone agrees that it isn't worth cleaning up and instead should just be photocopied, I'm sure Marty could do that too - although knowing him, that's not his style

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

A number of people from this thread reached out, so I ended up contacting him yesterday. He is still hoping to publish a reprint, he's been a bit delayed, partly because Ted Dabney, who yes - this was written by the co-founder of Atari - passed away in 2018, partly because there wasn't a ton of interest originally....

I would have bought it when it originally came out, if I had heard about it. Can Marty tell us anything about where/how it was originally publicized? Was it advertised in any trade magazines?

Put me down for a reprint. I'm a completist.
    .................David Marston

#15 3 years ago

After reaching out to Marty who knew Ted Dabney it turns out that the book was actually written by Joel Miller (whose last name is on the binding) and self published by Dabney, likely based on Dabney's expertise from operating and maintaining EM games after leaving Atari.

#16 3 years ago

So did Joel Miller also write that 1976 on video game repair which had a similar publishing situation? The spine says "Miller" and that name is nowhere else in the book; publisher did not claim copyright nor provide much detail. Unlike the Dabney book, it was publicized and advertised in the trade magazines, though.
    .................David Marston

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-seen-this-em-pinball-repair-book?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.