Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Kolchak-MrRING (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 1.57.56 PM (resized).png
    colossus-the-forbin-project-1 (resized).png
    BCCC67C3-A5A3-49E2-9378-58F8C9AFED52 (resized).jpeg
    robocop (resized).jpg
    EAF4CD0A-84D6-4E3A-A3AE-73E74958D6D2 (resized).jpeg
    dims (resized).jpeg
    singularity1 (resized).jpg
    ExponentialGrowthofComputing (resized).jpg
    ourfinalinvention (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DBLM.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 6 years ago

Having intimate knowledge with Watson and analytics (this is my profession and you can PM me if you like), you need to understand one critical thing about Watson: it is not a product but instead, a highly customized set of service offerings designed to build an outcome. Don't get me wrong, there is a variety of IP associated with Watson (think of toolkits), but what you are buying in most cases is a services engagement designed to customize these toolkits and associated logic to work to a certain outcome. IBM is working to "productize" Watson such as some of their commercial offerings, but it is definitely not something that you can buy and turn on to get immediate results.

What it did on Jeopardy was impressive, but for different reasons than you may be thinking. The questions and answers used for the Jeopardy tapings came from were part of a corpus of data that was loaded into Watson. Watson was trained on this data. The impressive part was not that Watson could find the answers (since they were already loaded), but that it could use text analytics to interpret how Jeopardy phrased its answers to find its questions. This was the impressive part from a technology perspective.

AI and ML is making impressive leaps but keep in mind, none of this is self learning like you might think from watching movies. We are nowhere near a Skynet scenario. About the most impressive things you can do with ML at this time involves scenarios similar to what I am working with clients on in using ML to analyze security event data to look for patterns that we do not know exist, and thus can not codify. With that being said, it still can only discover patterns within the parameters that you code it to go look in and the constraints that it can work within.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

That's basically what I was saying, it's impressive for what it is: a tool in a focused domain.

You are spot on. Don't get me wrong, there are some applications of Watson for things like oncology that are bad ass. However, it is very focused.

#53 6 years ago

There is a big difference between science fiction and science fact, folks.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

No doubt. Which is which as you see it?
    I did read your Watson post earlier.

We are a ways away from computers being able to learn organically like a human. They are limited by the parameters that they are programmed to adhere. That is not to say that bad actors could not program algorithms and ML routines to do things untowards.

The most insidious thing that people should be concerned about is not whether we are going to have a Skynet type event, but how people can exploit data with current technologies now. Everybody is up in arms about the whole Cambridge Analytica thing for the wrong reasons. Not getting political, but most people that are pissed are pissed because it may have contributed to Trump getting elected. Guess what: Facebook worked exactly as it was designed. It collected the data and categorized it in a way that a 3rd party researcher could do some analytics. CA got a hold of that guys data and did the things that people are upset about. There is plenty of blame to go around but people need to stop being naive and think that Facebook and all of these social media platforms are for linking people together. They are not. They are for harvesting data, and people are giving it willingly. Remember, if you do not pay for a product, YOU ARE THE PRODUCT. Social Media is just the continuation of what started with Radio and TV, with the difference being that it is faster and has a built in feedback loop.

I am not trying to get on the soap box and I assure you, I do not wear tinfoil hats. However, for the past ten years I have sold analytics solutions to a certain clientele as part of some of the biggest players in this space (IBM being one) and have sold the services of some of the very best data scientists that exists. You would be shocked and what these folks can do with a few data points. For example, with an average of 7 data postings on FB people can tell your race, sex, creed, political and sexual orientation, education level, and income. People put more that that info out there, so imagine what they can really do with the data available.

Whatever you do, please do not do stupid things like post vacation statuses while you are on vacation, post pictures to social media with geo-tagging, and use social media platforms to authenticate and share data with other platforms. This is just giving way too much sensitive info out to folks. I met with an organization that hires a bunch of young folks to do telemarketing for my sales campaigns and walked them through a young telemarketer's account on FB to show the art of the possible. To her FB feed, she had her daily runkeeper tracks loaded, her Air BnB reservations, Four Square checkins, etc with pictures of geotagging as well as her vacation plans. She got freaked out and started crying when I explained how somebody would know her routines, where she is and who she is with, etc at all times and how problematic it could be. This was all in about 2 minutes without analytics. Imagine what could happen if you turned the machine algorithms loose on folks like this.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DBLM.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-read-this-book-our-final-invention?tu=DBLM and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.