(Topic ID: 329199)

Have you had this gas pump scam happen to you?

By Luckydogg420

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
    #1 1 year ago

Talking with some friends, and each of us have had this happen to us at different stations around my tri-city area.

I’ve paid at the pump before getting gas and picked the bronze fuel but noticed that the pump authorized for premium. (Usually I just hit $100 to fill the tank.) Before pumping I cancel the transaction and try again. It always works fine on the second go. Is this the pump, or station attendant that authorizes the pump to flow?

It’s happened to me twice, my one buddy 5 times, and a third friend said it’s also happened to him before. Sounds like a well established scam, but I could be wrong and it’s just a computer glitch.

Has this ever happens to you?

#2 1 year ago

Never seen that one before. But I have had cards skimmed at pumps. Getting harder and harder to catch those now if they get into the pump itself.

#3 1 year ago

Never happened to me as I always get premium gas...they don't need even need to screw me!

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Never happened to me as I always get premium gas...they don't need even need to screw me!

Do you have a car with a turbo, or high compression? If your car doesn’t need premium, you probably shouldn’t use it

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Do you have a car with a turbo...

Yep.

#6 1 year ago

Do you have a car with a turbo, or high compression? If your car doesn’t need premium, you probably shouldn’t use it

You should see the spark plugs that come out of cars that run cheap gas…..

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

I’ve never bought above the shittiest gas. I also drive shitty cars.

#8 1 year ago

I've been buying premium since 2001
    But I don't put a lot of miles on so it isn't that bad.

#9 1 year ago

Premium is not more powerful gas, octane is a resistance to ignition and a higher octane fuel won’t give you more horsepower it is recommended only for engines with turbos, superchargers or high compression ratios. If you use 91 in an engine designed for 87 it can cause knocking and engine noise. Most fuel has detergents blended in, so higher octane won’t clean out your engine either. Running 91 in a motor designed for 87 will do little except cost you more money.

Also hand tools like chainsaws, weed whackers and some mowers use 91 because they have high compression, you should never run 87 in them

#10 1 year ago

Also hand tools like chainsaws, weed whackers and some mowers use 91 because they have high compression, you should never run 87 in them

Damn - I have been running 87 in my Stihl chainsaw, blower and weed whacker for years and never considered higher octane. Obviously I am not the type to actually read the owner's manual but a quick google search shows they recommend 89 at a minimum

#11 1 year ago

Premium is not more powerful gas, octane is a resistance to ignition and a higher octane fuel won’t give you more horsepower it is recommended only for engines with turbos, superchargers or high compression ratios. If you use 91 in an engine designed for 87 it can cause knocking and engine noise. Most fuel has detergents blended in, so higher octane won’t clean out your engine either. Running 91 in a motor designed for 87 will do little except cost you more money.

Correct.

#12 1 year ago

The term you are looking for is actually detonation, and modern cars will pull timing (or retard cam timing if so equipped) to accommodate for poor or low octane fuel. This causes poor mileage and low operating efficiency.

#13 1 year ago

If you use 91 in an engine designed for 87 it can cause knocking and engine noise.

Sorry but this is not true. In fact it is the other way around.
    I deliver gas for a living and can verify that the higher octane fuel is a cleaner more refined fuel.
    This is verified by seeing the sight glasses on my discharge tube on tanker as fuel is delivered.
    87 octane is a dirtier color and leaves sediment behind,whereas 93 is crystal clear with no sediment.
    I'm just a truck driver and not a chemist, just saying what I've seen in doing the job.
    -Mike

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

87 octane is a dirtier color and leaves sediment behind,whereas 93 is crystal clear with no sediment.
    I'm

I would assume that your fuel filter would catch most of that, but I could be wrong

#15 1 year ago

I've heard of card skimmers at the pump, but never a tricky fuel upgrade. That seems more like an oversight/error than a scam honestly.

#16 1 year ago

I use premium in the lawn mower & snow blower because the ethanol in regular can gum up the carbs.
    Never heard of this scam around here, but I'm rarely the one who fills the Tucson.

#17 1 year ago

Nope, not at all ever since I went out and got my own pumps.

John

IMG_0156 (resized).JPGIMG_0156 (resized).JPG
    #18 1 year ago

pay cash no scam issue there , also premium up here usually doesn't contain nasty ethanol ! never run any small engines with ethanol containing gas !

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

I think im actually mapped for 91 but I can't bring myself to do it

#20 1 year ago

The higher the octane the more miles you will get out of it.
    I experimented years ago with my 6cyl Ford. It was cheaper at the end of the week to fill with the more expensive fuel.
    Your car will run better / cleaner also.
    Friends of mine that race will always get the high-octane fuel. (otherwise, they lose)
    The mower repair guy I use says to always use the higher octane.
    Recently my parents went on a long holiday & I used their car a few times to keep it running. I put the good fuel in it & when my father got back in his car He couldn't believe the difference in performance. (4cyl Toyota)
    If you only have $20 left , get the good fuel coz you will get further

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from kayakkingoz:

The higher the octane the more miles you will get out of it.

Absolutely not true.

#22 1 year ago

A little off topic, but... I've seen this recently at two different restaurants we've been to lately.

You get your bill, the tip is automatically added on, and the tip line and suggested tip are still on there for you to tip again!

Gotta pay attention to EVERYTHING these days!

#23 1 year ago

Right. In the old days, premium gas might of had extra additives to entice you to buy up. However, regulations enforced that all fuel grades have same additives - at least in the US. Modern engines with sensors and computer management can adjust to different octane fuel by adjusting timing. Things also change with higher altitude where there is less air. There you don't need as high of an octane but not sure the science behind that.

#24 1 year ago

My boat, lawn mower and weed trimmer needs ethanol free gas. My boat won't even idle if it has 87 with ethanol.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from tullster:

A little off topic, but... I've seen this recently at two different restaurants we've been to lately.
    You get your bill, the tip is automatically added on, and the tip line and suggested tip are still on there for you to tip again!
    Gotta pay attention to EVERYTHING these days!

This tip and donation bullshit at the register is getting way out of hand. Government needs to start regulating it, because most people fall for the scam, making some fat cat richer and richer with every donation. Here in CA, it's getting common for them to ask, "would you like to round up to help childrens' hospital (or any other scam agency)?"

Most people automatically say yes out of guilt. I bet less than 10% of the roundup actually makes it to the people in need, while some dude is raking in millions to "run it". I forget the guys name, but he was exposed as being a billionaire running these scams. Yet, he's allowed to do it at thousands of registers. It's just a different way of robbing people in my opinion.

#26 1 year ago

I live in a state that offers 85, 87, and 91 octane options. Whenever I put 85 octane in an older car that I no longer own, I'd hear engine knocking when climbing hills. Looking at the owners manual, it specifically stated to use 87 octane gas. I never heard the knocking when I filled up with 87 octane.

The current car I own is a 2015 model year and its owner's manual states to put 87 octane in. I've never put anything other than 87 octane in just because of old habits I guess.

It really irritates me when the local media media compares the fuel prices here with the rest of the country. They compare the price of 85 octane here with 87 sold everywhere else and go "See! Gas prices are at or a little below the national average!" In reality, the price is higher than average here when comparing the same octane fuel, which the media won't do.

#28 1 year ago

You might be able to sell me on non-ethanol gas having more molecules to break down than ethanol gas which would increase mileage but not higher octane = better mileage.

#29 1 year ago

I’m pretty sure that the new ecoboost F150s with a V6 call for 87 most of the time, but should have 91 when towing because the turbos need it.

Every motor is different and you should use the right gas for the right application

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Absolutely not true.

I have proved that to myself plenty of times now
    What was your experiment ? Blah Blah

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Right. In the old days, premium gas might of had extra additives to entice you to buy up. However, regulations enforced that all fuel grades have same additives - at least in the US. Modern engines with sensors and computer management can adjust to different octane fuel by adjusting timing. Things also change with higher altitude where there is less air. There you don't need as high of an octane but not sure the science behind that.

I am in Denver. My 62 Corvette has 11:25 compression and I use 91. There is no way this engine would be able to run that at sea level. It would come apart. So science or not it's a fact.

#32 1 year ago

Here a bit of the science

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-had-this-gas-pump-scam-happen-to-you and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.