(Topic ID: 246630)

Have you had any issues with Mirco playfield quality?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you have Mirco playfields with issues? ”

• JJP Mirco Playfield With Issues (Chipping, Cracking, Bunching of Clear) 34 votes
    55%
  • Direct Mirco Playfield With Issues (Chipping, Cracking, Bunching of Clear) 28 votes
    45%

(62 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0341 (resized).jpg
IMG_0276 (resized).JPG
IMG_0271 (resized).JPG
IMG_0270 (resized).JPG
IMG_20200112_113857 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200112_113744 (resized).jpg
20191030_175701 (resized).jpg
20191030_175551 (resized).jpg
20191030_180018 (resized).jpg
20191030_175607 (resized).jpg
20190904_125459 (resized).jpg
20190904_120250 (resized).jpg
20190823_174942 (resized).jpg
20190823_174938 (resized).jpg
20190823_174924 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I debating on posting this thread but I think we as a community deserve to have transparency for these quite expensive products. I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus but it seems like a centralized discussion is warranted to determine if there are wider spread issues or if there are simply isolated incidents.

My involvement here stems from my JJP POTC chipping around the narrow sling posts. These are Mirco produced playfields. When I posted a thread in the JJP forum about this issue there were many people who were in the same boat. The conclusions we have come to in that thread is that the narrow sling posts used had sharp edges on the bottom and this caused cutting in to the clear/art and eventually chipping of those pieces and bare wood exposed. This is combined with the very clear issue of a "soft" clear coat. Around any other posts and washers we have very apparent bunching up of the clear coat with a very real possibility that those areas will chip and crack as well. JJP has taken some responsibility here with a sort of "hidden" offer (JJP does not seem to announce these kinds of things anywhere) of a discounted playfield to those with chipping. They released a "kit" to add wider star posts to the slings with washers under them. The community devised and adopted a preventative measure that TNA owners came up with using a rubber washer under star posts.

Through this I've heard from other Mirco playfield owners that similar things have happened to them. I don't want to call anyone out, everyone can post their own experience and the community can decide.

POTC owners have contacted JJP over and over with many delayed or non-responses and very little acceptance of the issue. Several have also contacted Mirco directly or posted in related threads with no response. Not that Mirco is on the hook for JJP playfield issues, but it's their product in the end and their reputation.

It would be nice to hear both good and bad experiences with your own Mirco playfields, both from a pinball manufacturer installed product to a direct playfield purchase. I've read a lot of threads from a lot of different owners of different manufacturer's games and playfields who have reported issues. It's hard to take anything concrete away from all of these threads as there are many differing opinions as to what causes these issues, who is at fault, what expectations there should be for newer "environmentally friendly" methods of production, etc. I've read that Stern uses three different playfield manufacturers and some of their playfields have issues, maybe the Mirco ones? I know JJP had earlier issues with their Bader WOZ playfields (I had one of those) but their Mirco versions seem to have been much better, so why issues with DI and POTC? Some suggest methods have changed, some suggest Mirco has levels of quality which lead to issues.

Here are a few pictures of my POTC playfield issues and a link to the JJP related thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-

The original JJP POTC club thread that started the POTC discussion:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club

Dialed-In owners talk about their playfield chipping, I think those are Mirco too?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club

Discussion in JJP making more POTC thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-jjp-make-more-potc/page/8#post-5066567

AFM Mirco playfield wear discussion
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-mirco-playfields-whats-the-wear-situation-after-a-couple-of-years#post-1899111

Maybe Mirco will chime in and clear the air give some input as to why these things might be happening.

0429191427 (resized).jpg0429191427 (resized).jpg0612190917 (resized).jpg0612190917 (resized).jpg0704191620 (resized).jpg0704191620 (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Wheres the option for playfield with no issues?

Why do we need to know that? We know an abundance of playfields have no issue or there would be a lot more posts here.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Or maybe manufactures who put them into assembly before cured??
Maybe?

For sure, then Mirco should be able to tell us that, no? How long should they take to cure? I was wondering how long it took to produce a batch (whatever number that is), package them, ship them and for JJP to unbox and use them. Has to be at least several weeks.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

The Mirco playfields vary from generation to generation an even run to run.
Anytime you are dealing with wood,plastic and coatings as well as chemistry in general it can be a mixed bag.
What I recommend is take each and everything on a case by case basis.
You have chipping down to the wood on a low play game?
There is an adhesion problem between the wood and the initial layers of art.
You have clear chipping off the art but art remains intact?
You have a clear adhesion problem or it is simply wear with the clear being the first line of defense.
That is all it comes down to.
If you see wood or ghosting it is on the ground floor
If it is clear only issues it is typical wear or at the top coat level.
Doesn’t matter who made it that is what you are dealing with.
Just a general guideline to follow.

Thanks for commenting, I was hoping you might show up. Can you share any light on your experience with Mirco and/or other brand playfields in your restorations? Do you see similar issues on new/repro playfields with clear bunching up or chips (with art removed)? Does another coat of clear (and more cure time) help in these situations?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

The thread title reads as a yes or no question...

I can see that, but I guess I didn't think it mattered for the discussion.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I like to sand polish and assemble in about two weeks of the final clear application
It will be at this point that the clear is well cured but still flexible enough to withstand the assembly process.
The products I use are designed for an overnight air dry and next day delivery on automobiles so that two week window is already overkill.
The difference in what I am doing and those that make playfields though is I am working on and adding to existing finish but they are actually creating one.
That is a much bigger difference than it may seem.

Ah it feels so good to read that. The Spray Max thread has people swearing it takes months of cure time. I put my JP playfield back together after a few days and it has zero issues with indentations. I am sure they aren't the exact same products that you use but they are made for automotive repair and I kept insisting that no auto repair place waits any significant time after applying clear to finish the car.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Yes, both PF's I purchased directly from them had issues so I stopped buying from them altogether.
How's this for an "issue" that he promptly ignored when I inquired about it after it arrived.... There were many more issues on both PF's but this photo tells the story well enough.[quoted image]

I'm not seeing the issue?

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Was just editing my last post, it clears things up...

Ahhhh yea.

Quoted from Completist:

I only have experience with Mirco direct pf’s that i have installed. I Didn’t have any issues during install or in the time since - of course thats not to say things cant change, only time will tell. So far so good.
I don’t own any JJP’s or am one of the unfortunate people who had issues with their pf’s. I am not a Mirco fanboy, or any others for that matter. But i think the poll option for the mirco direct will not only reflect the quality of pf - it will reflect the quality of install.
If someone wails on t nuts to drive them in i would not worry about cracks - i would expect them. They will form along inserts or between closely spaced through holes. Same with installing topside screws. You really need to remove the clear away from the threads. Otherwise they can grab and lift or crack clear around the holes. This applies to any repro pf not just Mirco’s.

There is definitely something to be said for end-user installs.

And I am sure there is something to be said for us picky-ass pinball fans.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I can't tell if that is sarcasm or not but clear coats are generally glossy in appearance. You should be able to clearly see all 4 lights in my fixture. This was a well in the clear not level with the rest of the pf. This was just one of many pf issues requiring a full reclear.

Ha, not sarcasm! Now I see what you are saying.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Have you ever worked on an assembly line? Lines generally move fast. Employees are not standing around picking their noses. New hires on the line make new hire mistakes. Depending on management, discipline, and punishment, a new hire is most likely scared to death of screwing up and getting fired. If management employes a punitive attitude, the new hire will probably keep quite and hope he is not found out.
I worked a tractor assembly line for a couple of months. I got 5 minutes of training and the line was rolling. On one model of tractor, if I dropped a bolt and bent down to pick it up I was behind---for the rest of the ever-loving shift. It sucked.
I doubt working on Stern's assemble line is a picnic. Maybe the employee thinks mistake will be covered under a piece of plastic. Mum is the word and act like it was not you who cut the fart.
Tools foul up. The line does not stop. Need to take a leak. Hold it until lunch time. The line does not stop.
On my Munsters I have found wire harness sections routed incorrectly and stretched to the limit because of the misrouting before the connectors were snapped together.
There are the movies you see on TV of some assembly line. And then there are the real assembly lines peopled by real people and no one is looking.

This is not a tractor assembly line. Have you seen videos of pins being made? And not to mention these are relatively expensive toys with low production numbers. Hand made care should be taken when building $12k toys.

#40 4 years ago

So, here's a question that I think no one can answer.

If we take one of these "mushy" playfields and clear over it with some top notch auto clear will that prevent it from bunching up? Is it the clear that can be "helped along" or is this a problem starting at the wood/art?

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Deltron:

A house is only as strong as the foundation. The same is true for paint. Applying more clear will not fix the problem. Auto clear takes 30 -90 days to cure (depending on temperature and humidity). The evaporating petroleum based solvents will cause water to bead up on a freshly painted car. When the clear coat has cured, water will sheet. I’m an ASE, I-CAR and PPG master certified auto painter with over 25 years experience. Metal ball vs. wood - metal always wins.

So what are you saying in terms of the cracking, chipping and mushy clear in the pictures above. What went wrong?

#44 4 years ago

So... Both of those things are happening then.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Deltron:

I use clear coats that are drivable in 45 minutes every day. They still take 30 - 90 days to fully cure. I use retarders to slow the drying process on playfields I restore to allow them to fully cure with maximum film build. UV cure products are future of the industry.

Hum.. Clatskanie, eh? Got room to do a few more playfields?

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He’s obviously a suit and tie guy that has no clue. I guess he thinks all assembly line workers get paid enough to care and to take pride in what they are doing. The real truth is most of them make peanuts and cant even afford a place to live and they work their asses off for for nothing while being treated like dog shit.

Well, that sort of goes outside the scope of the situation really. If it is a line problem with JJP or Stern then they need to solve that and Mirco would be the one to be able to back that up, but he seems non-existent when it comes to questions like this. Or he needs to talk with his customers (JJP) and work out a joint statement, someone needs to take some responsibility. If any company isn't paying their line workers a living wage then that is sad to hear and maybe the pinball community can speak with their pocketbooks. But, how do we know? I've personally reached out to Mirco and my questions about sales get answered quickly but other inquiries never are responded to. But the issue clearly doesn't seem isolated to installation issues as we've heard from many here who have had problems with repro playfields that they bought directly so it surely points to a Mirco quality issue.

No matter if other playfield manufacturers have this issue or other issues the question really is with Mirco. CPR isn't providing playfields to manufacturers as far as I know so any problems should be able to be dealt with them directly. The bigger issue here is that we are sort of in limbo as no one wants to take responsibility and JJP sort of washed their hands of the causation and simply offered either the post kit "fix" (which is really a lame attempt) or a discounted playfield without making mention of what or why this was caused. So, you buy another playfield and then what? You have the same production process.. if we let these playfields sit will they eventually cure hard? Will another coat of clear help? We have no idea.. and $600 later you can only gamble to find out.

I have to imagine the sheer volume of manufacturer direct playfields Mirco produces pales in comparison to the repros, so maybe the the process is different. Either way, I hope this post might draw some attention and light to the subject and maybe get someone to respond. I don't know if it is just my perception, unfounded expectation of manufactures or what but it really feels like both Mirco and JJP just ignore issues and keep pressing on. As an owner of two JJP games that both have had significant playfield issues I really feel someone needs to step up.

The decals JJP produced for the WOZ playfield issues had to be purchased (that is unbelievable) and didn't entirely fix the situation. There are now depressions on the playfield where the clear and art has been chipped away and that changes gameplay. The ball gets stuck at the exit to TNPLH because of that depression. The playfield is still broken under the decals, now that game is worth much less than another produced with a playfield that had no issues. That all seemed to be swept under the rug or ignored by everyone, I don't know.

Personally, and this might just be my experience, I can't get JJP to reliably respond. Maybe I'm too much a thorn in their sides but it's hit or miss. I don't want to keep shitting on them because I have huge appreciation for the work they do for the community, the products they produce, the employees who post here (which I can't believe that is part of their job, seems like they do it out of care of love for the game), etc. but I have never seen an announcement from JJP about any of this stuff. Yes, someone linked to a "notice" that JJP posted somewhere, but certainly JJP didn't advertise it for either the post kit or the playfield deal. I've signed up for their mailing list many times, never got a single email. If I didn't participate here I'd be even more upset with the non-resposnes as I'd have no idea what is going on and I guarantee far from 50% of the POTC owners are on pinside. I've emailed about this issue, many times, and have gotten 1 or 2 replies of "hang on, we're looking in to it" (one of those replies was asking if I had messed up balls or something, as if this was a new issue or concept when it had been reported by others months earlier) and never a further single email from them. Nothing to tell me there was a resolution, nothing to offer me an option, nothing to update me on what they found. It gets really frustrating. A little bit of up front customer relations would go a long way. Ignoring the issues, hoping that only those concerned enough contact to find out what their options are, that only a few people actually pony up the money for new playfields, etc seems to be the choice they are making and that doesn't sit well with me.

But... games keep selling.

#68 4 years ago

For sure it's partly a JJP thread, I suppose. Although the reason I posted is because I've been contacted by Mirco customers (because of my other JJP specific thread) about their repro playfield issues. That got me thinking that it's more a Mirco problem in production more so than a JJP causation. However, the POTC specific issue culpability is with JJP since it is their end product and they also have some liability in the sharp posts used and tightness they were installed with. But even under my pop bumper base there was a huge amount of bunching (shown in my original images) which isn't related to those sharp posts.

#69 4 years ago

I guess I also feel that in other industries I've almost always had issues like this handled in a more professional and upfront manner. Higher end car manufacturers, higher end home electronics, etc. have always treated me justly when their products had issues. Given the high price of their products, the name reputation they have and quality they imply their response to my issues have given me confidence in moving forward in purchasing more of their products. I don't feel this issue is any different, it's just the manufacturer is small enough on global scale and the market narrow and specific enough that there aren't other options. In essence, JJP can react how they want and likely not really lose customers. I'm certainly re-considering my Wonka purchase now. I've tossed plenty of my money to JJP in replacement parts and fixes on a game that is less than a year old. Granted they have stepped up in a few cases but that was mainly my dealings with Shannan and handling warranty claims or a part that should definitely not have broken in a few months (even though outside their warranty).

On a side note, I don't know if anyone has read the JJP warranty but your warranty is void unless you register the game within 5 days.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from avspin:

I'm not saying the OP is wrong to question it. I had issues with my WOZ & DI and "expected" JJP to fix and they did to my satisfaction. I install protectors, mods etc to make the game better for me and resale in the distant future. But where I'm starting from in expectations is different than the OP in my view. That's what I was referring to.

I'm wondering based on your perspective, are you expecting that future JJP pins will continue to have playfield issues and will you buy them?

What issues did you have and what did JJP do to fix them?

With my WOZ what they did was sell me decals. Granted, they went to the trouble to print them. With pirates they are offering for me to spend ~$600 for another playfield which may well have the same issues. There is only so much prevention that can be done to not get the issues we are seeing, in some cases almost nothing can be done (places where a #6 washer has to contact the playfield directly, for example). The clear is rippling and bunching up around those washers now. So on a new playfield, were I to spend the $600 and the 60 hours or whatever to do the swap, how do I know this won't happen again?

I'm not one of those "omg, it has dimples" kinds of people. I expect a playfield will see wear, I wholly support Cliffy and can't fathom why a manufacturer hasn't jumped in bed with him to offer them installed as an upgrade. But I really have zero control or prevention I can do in this instance, the game is 8 months old or something and there are plenty of people who seem to not have issues (or at least don't see them or aren't reporting them) so that means there will be used games on the market that are in better shape no matter how comparably we have taken care of them.

Tagentally, I think the problem probably would have been "solved" for most of us if JJP just gave us new playfields if we had visible chipping. They would have had great sentiment from the community, the discussion would likely have died down because there would be no more reason to complain and everyone would basically know that this playfield is "soft" and decide what to do with it on their own. I am sure from a profitability standpoint that would be detrimental so charge a bit for them and not only are they not out of pocket (what could their cost really be on a playfield in bulk) but the uptake on that offer will be considerably less than those who have issues or would have opted in for the free playfield. Then let JJP deal with Mirco in any regard that they think is appropriate, in essence going to bat for their consumer. I mean, not to mention they really just don't respond to this stuff so what are you going to do? Sue them? There is really little inventive for them unless the community creates one.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I purchased a POTC playfield at full price before even receiving my game, (I did the same w/ my WOZECLE). I contacted JJP about getting a partial refund considering they are now offering the playfield at a discount. At first Frank said he doesn't see a problem with that. Now they are saying that my request has been denied. I guess JJP doesn't really want any future sales from me...

Do you have a chipped playfield? I can't see what reasoning then that they should deny that to you. Seems quite logical.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Does the playfield that your game came with have clearcoat chipping? If not then i can see their point but if it does then they should give you the discount.
With that being said though, offering a playfield to the people who got bad playfield at half price is not acceptable in my opinion. Offering them a free playfield isnt even acceptable in my opinion. Anyone who got a game with a bad playfield should absolutely 100% get a populated playfield to put back in their game. Anything less than that and i would not be happy and i would never buy another JJP game ever again and i would blast it all over these forums every damn day that they screwed me and won't stand behind their product!
These games cost way too much money for them not to stand behind them.

I suspect if they did that it would be hugely detrimental to their budget. Imagine that they probably don't have enough parts to do that and so many would need to be reproduced. I suppose that could work out for them if they make more games but the cost of a fully populated playfield shipped to them is likely thousands, times how many games are going to have issues. What can their profit margin be on a game? Plus, the people with a bad playfield don't have issues with the rest of the playfield items... and JJP couldn't reuse those items so it's a big loss for them. That's why I think the price is what it is... I mean, it's arbitrary, up to their own decision what they think will resolve the situation enough for their reputation to be unsullied. Jack said in a recent interview that he doesn't have to disclose what his company is doing because it isn't public. That pretty much tells you what you need to know. That precisely stands by the "non announcement" of these decisions by JJP. People still buy the games, POTC couldn't have been more popular it seems. Unless the community pushes for change there is zero reason for them to change.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I don't have chipping yet. My game probably has 100 plays on it. I do have the clear swelling around posts in several locations.

Hopefully it is either ok or cracks soon Sorry man.

#101 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I fully understand that it would put them in a hole but shit man if i spend 10k on a game i want it to be right because quite frankly 10k puts me in one hell of a hole also. Its not the buyers fault that they recieved a product that was of poor quality. If you went and bought a new car and they were having troubles with the engines blowing how would you feel if they offered you a new engine at half price? You would be like screw you, im not paying a dime.
We are talking about a very expensive product here, not something cheap. They charge the high prices because they are trying to give people the impression that they are making a product that is of much higher quality than their competitors. I for one will never buy one of their games if they dont do the right thing here. 10-12K is big big money to some of us here to spend on a toy.

I mean, you don't have to convince me, that's what I was campaigning for in the beginning. But JJP also lets on nothing as far as what they read here and what they are reacting to. Like I said, I never got any direct information from them about the kit or playfield discount so I'm only going off what other people posted. I sent that recent "under pop bumper" image and got no reply (which was a reply to my ongoing emails to the asking for resolution).

Re: Stern
I think it's fair to say based on the many more Stern pins that are out there compared to JJP that they don't have a similar systemic problem. There have been reported incidents but no where near the same proportion or there would be huge backlash here on pinside. There would be no way we didn't know. No judgement on playfield production quality or process, just we know the end product doesn't have a consistent issue with Stern.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Even CPR playfields have too much clear. I wait 6 months before touching. Then if the registration is ok . Sand and polish. Sometimes no re-clear needed

I had no problem with my Cyclone Gold from them. Clear seemed excellent, no dents, etc.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Has JJP sent a single populated of replacement for this game? I haven't seen it
When I told Jack about my game he said:”what do you want me to do about it? It’s a pinball machine”. I told home he should at least give me a PF to replace the one that chipped. I had to ask him 2 or 3 times and he finally said he would send one and he sent me a reject with very dished inserts and a low spot in the center of the pf that you could visibly see. I sold it for 50 bucks and bought another one that was good

Oh wow. That's interesting news. So there is a precedent of them sending out playfields for chipped ones for free, reject or not. I mean, I bought reject WOZ playfields and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. But if they sent you a free one (granted it should have been flawless) they should send everyone a free one who has chipping.

I think that changes the game a bit.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

This is a consumer problem, consumers are demanding film thickness way beyond what the products are designed for. Thin clears, when chipped, won't leave a deep void. Plus a thin clear is also more likely to move without cracking. all assuming the mix ratio was correct in the first place.

What substantiation do you have for this? I'm not familiar with this sentiment, but I've only been really paying attention to this kind of thing for a few years (when I had chipping on my WOZ). All my other games are much older and obviously have different kinds of playfield finishes.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

Peele started demanding these overdone clears on their Stern LEs, JJP went nuts on WOZ, etc. Think clear looks good, thick paint, which is what clear is, does not perform well.

Do you have substantiation as to how the community demanded this? I'm wondering what the community did to sway a manufacturer to make changes in their product to this extent. I don't see anyone advertising their playfield as "better" or with "more clear" which would seem befitting an additional cost they surely incurred.

#124 4 years ago

Interesting, thanks for the input. I've been searching the forums for a while on various playfield issues but maybe I didn't go back far enough to find this.

#132 4 years ago

Btw, I should note on the "thick clear" that I sprayed my JP playfield with SprayMax 2X Auto Clear. I put on a few thin coats and several thick coats. Barely time for it to cure inbetween (maybe hours). It cured hard as a rock in a few hours and I sanded and polished it a few days later. The clear was thick enough to fill in depressions where I had to replace decals and they were sunken in a bit. I obviously don't know the actual thickness compared to Mirco (or other) playfield clear but certainly it can be done. Sure, restorers and pros are posting about weeks of curing and such but it doesn't seem that is absolutely a necessary part of the process. Maybe theirs looks better or lasts longer, but I can't really see a difference in my result and the CPR Gold Cyclone playfield I bought. I'm one guy, limited information and experience but I don't think this outcome is limited to me.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

Just because you can does not mean you should. Hard as a rock is worse than soft. Soft will move with the wood. Soft will show dimples but it does not crack. Hard will delaminate when the wood moves. Hard will crack when things are to tight. Hard will chop edges when balls hit them. Hard is fine on a stable substrate. Wood isn't stable.

I mean, I have no control over the cure of that product. It's an all in one, two part in a can. It cures however it cures. I mean shit.. not hard, not soft.. is this the 3 pinball bears?

I also have no idea how thick the layers are. I have nothing to measure that miniscule of an amount and "thick" is my perception, who knows what it actually is. I do know that thin coats produced a somewhat "orange peel" effect and thicker ones did not.

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from fusion:

Is the clear coat issue showing up on wonka too?

In the other JJP specific thread there has been at least one post of a Wonka with bunched up clear coat around a post. Others have mentioned that yes, the problem continues.

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

There are tools available that allow you to measure the thickness of your coats. But for the guy doing a play field or two, they might not be cost effective.
Painting is something you develop a feel for. When you are shooting a vertical surface and trying to get that wet shiny coat and you make one more pass with your gun and then watch in disgust and horror as your paint starts to sag and slide down to the bottom, you learn just how far you can go.
Orange peel can happen to the best of automotive painters. Indeed, I was in a Cadillac dealership several years ago on a parts chasing trip. I was gazing at the Caddy 2 seater that was selling for around $60K plus. And on the front bumper cover, on the horizontal surface was orange peel. It had been sanded and buffed but not enough.
With enough "dry" coats you can sand and polish and make the orange peel disappear and get a nice finish, but it is a lot of extra work. And if you are not careful you can sand through the paint into the primer; It will make you cry.
I imagine most people are like me and paint a play field laying on a horizontal surface. With horizontal painting, you don't have to worry about runs, sags, or curtains. With the correct viscosity, painting heavy wet coats will flow into a nice smooth surface. But since you are painting on the horizontal with heavier wet coats and no risk of runs it can be real easy to wind up with too much paint.
Those here who paint a lot can tell you what you need to be doing and maybe even tell you what you are doing wrong. And you can read all kinds of books on how to spray paint. Not too much. not too little, etc. And there are some proper spaying techniques you need to learn, you must learn. When you read up and understand that swinging a gun depends on flexible action with your wrist, no stiff arming allowed, when you learn that to get even, well distributed, coats of paint depends on flexible wrist action that would make any jazz drummer proud, you are 80% there.
Read. Listen. Watch YouTube. But in the end, you have to figure it out for yourself.
To get the last 20%, hang some surfaces on the vertical needing paint; go buy a case of cheap foo foo can paint and start painting. Try to get that nice shiny coat with no runs. Push it. Try to make it run. Make it run. See where your limits are. Once you can do that and understand how it can all fall apart in one second you will be on your way to laying down some good paint.

I mean, I guess I made it sound like I've never painted before. I have a few HVLP guns and have shot plenty of latex. I just try to stay away from 2 part or oil based stuff as I hate the cleanup. Gone through many, many a can of spray paint for all kinds of projects. Definitely took some time to learn techniques, watched many videos on all kinds of painting. But yeah, I sanded the orange peel and pretty much between every major layer of clear. I can commiserate with the vertical spraying... I have an airless paint sprayer that I used on my house and ended up with many runs that needed wiping down. It tosses out a LOT of paint and you gotta be careful about some of those tricky combination of materials/depths (eaves mostly). I think my JP came out great... took some good amount of machine buffing to go from 2000 grit to polished surface but luckily I have a buttload of cutting and polishing compounds from my finer car ownership days.

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Out of the most recent games I've purchase...MMr, IMDN, TNA, JJP POTC, DP, DI, TWD.....
MMr has the best clear job. It still looks brand new after ~two years. Wonder what CGC did differently?

Who makes the playfield?

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

CGC. But they also make Stern playfields so...

?

I thought Stern playfields had a pretty decent reputation based on the number of titles and games they've made and the issues they've had? Aren't they the ones who've sent out populated playfields as well?

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Do you think they're sending out populated PFs because there was no issue with the originals ones?

Heh, sorry, maybe I was mixing up my thoughts.

OK, so my one thought was it seems like they don't have the percentage of issues that JJP has with their playfields. Granted JJP only has 5 games and so with the issues they have had a high percentage of their games (either title based or production numbers sold) had playfield issues. It seems like Stern sells way more games and, while they have had issues, it appears as though those issues are a much lower percentage of titles and games sold. And in the instances where they have had issues they have generally made them right?

I'm wondering if that is correct? I don't know the issues Sterns have had, the Ghostbusters problems, etc.

#165 4 years ago

To bring the two worlds together, these posts were on the same day... clear thickness here and in the JJP specific thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/28#post-5085712

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

So what changed?

The 24 billion dollar question. Lots of speculation and informed opinions but no one can tell us but Mirco and JJP.

1 week later
2 months later
#178 4 years ago

The update to this thread should be "yes"... heh. Many things have come to light since I started this and there is definitely a quality issue.

1 week later
#181 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Where can we go to read any statements from Mirco on what he's figured out and solved with all the playfield issues?
There are several threads on Mirco right now, and I'm wondering where to go to read his statements so we can have enough facts on hand to buy with confidence.
thanks!
-mof

Good luck with that.

Between JJP and Mirco no one says anything. Definitely an oddity of the pinball community, at least to me in my experience with many industries in my life. Companies are allowed to get away with this kind of stuff because the market is small, there aren't a lot of producers, licenses are tightly held and there are definitely a lot of "back channel" operations going on. Jack told me on the phone he didn't consider this a Mirco problem (he now denies that), I can't see how it isn't. Mirco won't reply at all to any of these issues... ever. He's been contacted many ways, given a multitude of opportunities to make any sort of statement and nothing has come to light that I know of. Until people speak with their wallets or some other major demonstration of frustration there will be no change in how these companies operate. Everything is shrouded in a cloud of mystery.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 38.00
29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-had-any-issues-with-mirco-playfield-quality-?tu=harryhoudini and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.