(Topic ID: 246630)

Have you had any issues with Mirco playfield quality?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you have Mirco playfields with issues? ”

• JJP Mirco Playfield With Issues (Chipping, Cracking, Bunching of Clear) 34 votes
    55%
  • Direct Mirco Playfield With Issues (Chipping, Cracking, Bunching of Clear) 28 votes
    45%

(62 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0341 (resized).jpg
IMG_0276 (resized).JPG
IMG_0271 (resized).JPG
IMG_0270 (resized).JPG
IMG_20200112_113857 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200112_113744 (resized).jpg
20191030_175701 (resized).jpg
20191030_175551 (resized).jpg
20191030_180018 (resized).jpg
20191030_175607 (resized).jpg
20190904_125459 (resized).jpg
20190904_120250 (resized).jpg
20190823_174942 (resized).jpg
20190823_174938 (resized).jpg
20190823_174924 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 4 years ago

The Mirco playfields vary from generation to generation an even run to run.
Anytime you are dealing with wood,plastic and coatings as well as chemistry in general it can be a mixed bag.
What I recommend is take each and everything on a case by case basis.
You have chipping down to the wood on a low play game?

There is an adhesion problem between the wood and the initial layers of art.

You have clear chipping off the art but art remains intact?

You have a clear adhesion problem or it is simply wear with the clear being the first line of defense.

That is all it comes down to.
If you see wood or ghosting it is on the ground floor
If it is clear only issues it is typical wear or at the top coat level.
Doesn’t matter who made it that is what you are dealing with.
Just a general guideline to follow.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Thanks for commenting, I was hoping you might show up. Can you share any light on your experience with Mirco and/or other brand playfields in your restorations? Do you see similar issues on new/repro playfields with clear bunching up or chips (with art removed)? Does another coat of clear (and more cure time) help in these situations?

I wouldn’t single anyone out but I will say from CPR,NOS,Mirco ,IPB etc I have a 15 to 20% flat out rejection rate and then of the remaining percentage 50 to 75% require some rework or improving.
There is a small percentage I look at and inspect and see no significant room for improvement and install as delivered but it is very rare.
That said the standards here are very high.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

When someone sends you a pin to restore and part of that restore involves you applying the clear coat, how long to allow the play field to set and cure the clear before you start building it back up ?

I like to sand polish and assemble in about two weeks of the final clear application
It will be at this point that the clear is well cured but still flexible enough to withstand the assembly process.
The products I use are designed for an overnight air dry and next day delivery on automobiles so that two week window is already overkill.
The difference in what I am doing and those that make playfields though is I am working on and adding to existing finish but they are actually creating one.
That is a much bigger difference than it may seem.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But is that a prep issue? An ink issue? A drying issue? You don't seem to have these problem (at least not that I've heard of), so it CAN be done. This has been an issue for a few YEARS now, on and off. Seems like if it's solvable, Mirco would have a solution implemented...

Depends on the issue whether it be prep,cure times or even just a batch of bad product.
I don’t know exactly what inks and solvents are used nor what clearcoats ,hardners ,reducers, how long things are allowed to flash off between coats and how long between the final ink layers are the clears applied over them.
Anyone of those things can impact the final product.
The advantages I have is that I focus on one or two playfields at a time.
I am well versed in the products and process I am using and I am in no hurry to get anything done.
A playfield manufacturer could not possibly operate or survive at that level so they have a different process and other products to get things done.
Another thing is I rarely do playfield only work anymore because the build and protections put in place(Mylar at the drops,pulling t nuts in not hammering them ,washers under ball guide post,not over tightening parts etc)can’t be guaranteed unless I do it myself and I don’t want to inherit others mistakes.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Im installing a mirco TOM now, to be honest I am terrified to even power the game up after hearing all these horror stories...
Does anyone have a positive experience with a Mirco after a swap is done?

I have installed many without issue. 9 times out of 10 I have recleared them but anytime I have had an issue it was something I spotted upon delivery or became apparent during the very early stages of assembly.
It is not unique to Mirco though.
I have had inserts pop and crack art on CPRs

Screen printing blow clean off on NOS

An IPB MB that you could strip the clear off with a piece of masking tape.

Back when Doug Huse used to do pinball work he tried to clear an NOS Flash playfield and it looked like he poured stripper on it
He brought it to me to see if I could salvage it. Definitely worth a look.
Point being playfield building and finishing can go wrong at any point and happen on any playfield.
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album20

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from DB2007:

I bought a Fish Tales playfield from Micro and after 30 plays max,I had a huge chunk of clear coat come off near the shooter lane ball eject I've now bought a cliffy to cover most of it.
And some of my star posts now have rippling, they didn't have this when I first done the playfield swap.
Will the rippling get worse?
[quoted image][quoted image]

The clear looks incredibly thick judging by how much build there is between the bare wood and the top of the finish. This is something people beg for and act like is plus but is actually not a good thing at all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-had-any-issues-with-mirco-playfield-quality-?tu=High_End_Pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.