(Topic ID: 246630)

Have you had any issues with Mirco playfield quality?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you have Mirco playfields with issues? ”

• JJP Mirco Playfield With Issues (Chipping, Cracking, Bunching of Clear) 34 votes
    55%
  • Direct Mirco Playfield With Issues (Chipping, Cracking, Bunching of Clear) 28 votes
    45%

(62 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0341 (resized).jpg
IMG_0276 (resized).JPG
IMG_0271 (resized).JPG
IMG_0270 (resized).JPG
IMG_20200112_113857 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200112_113744 (resized).jpg
20191030_175701 (resized).jpg
20191030_175551 (resized).jpg
20191030_180018 (resized).jpg
20191030_175607 (resized).jpg
20190904_125459 (resized).jpg
20190904_120250 (resized).jpg
20190823_174942 (resized).jpg
20190823_174938 (resized).jpg
20190823_174924 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CLEllison.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 4 years ago

Paging Dr. kruzman
I had an absolute shit show of a Funhouse playfield. The clear pooled around the posts after 2 days. No, they were not over tightened. Removed the post and almost a day later the clear was almost flat again. The cherry ontop was the side rail holes were drilled crooked and the majority of holes drilled 1/8" to the right. A mutual friend had a Mirco FH pf and had the same clear coat pooling but also the graphics lifted up with the pooling and was chipped to hell (down tot eh wood) after 6 months of being routed. Friends of a friend were at TPF and they looked at Mircos booth. Specifically the FH playfields. They confirmed the playfield they could see was also drilled 1/8" off which makes the playfield junk. Mirco was notified of my issues via email before and during TPF. Never responded while at TPF. Imagine the poor bastards who have a playfield in the closet or hanging on the wall that's misdrilled LOL. It truly is a wall hanger now!
The emails he sent me before he left I will say he said he'd stand by his product. However he blamed my installer for over tightening (which later research shows on RPG he's infamous for passing blame) and he also told me you MUST use hole protectors or the clear WILL chip and crack. After I found out his TPF product was also faulty I.lost confidence in his product and just filed a charge back with my bank and bought a different one. I also own a Hobbit. The playfield is an embarrassment. Looks like a damn golf ball. The clear started to crack on both holes so I installed a set of Cliffys which matches up to his comment about must use protectors. So here's the real problem. When the manufacturer of the product says you MUST use hole protectors or it WILL crack (yes I have emails to back this up) and JJP isnt installing hole protectors let alone including a note with the machine that states for optimal life expectancy install hole protectors is just beyond unacceptable. I'm sick and tired of people making excuses. The NOS playfielda lasted/last how long and these things cant even survive 6 months or less without issues? My installer has. STTNG playfield from Mirco that is perfect. The clear is hard and its drilled correctly so we know things can be done right but something has changed and its plaguing what I'd imagine to be a very large number of JJP titles as well as other titled playfields. My advice, if you have to buy a Mirco sendnitnto Kruzman (or whomever) for a clear job OR first thing you do is set a couple posts on opppaoye sides (because another issue is the clear is uneven) and wait two days. If you see pooling send it back and then have your new playfield drop shipped to a professional.clearncoater of your choice. I'm serious, Mirco needs to fix his shit or allow the public to buy playfields without clear so we have the opportunity to let the pros clear coat them. If you want pictures go look at the Funhouse members thread they're all there.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Im installing a mirco TOM now, to be honest I am terrified to even power the game up after hearing all these horror stories...
Does anyone have a positive experience with a Mirco after a swap is done?

The easiest test you can do is push a finger nail into the clear coat. If youre able to leave an indentation mark you're in for a bad time. Decide if you want to watch it grenade or send it to Kruzman or HEP for a clear coat job.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If you can indent the clear then it is not cured. Correct?
As time progresses, eventually the clear will cure on its own. Correct? If so, how does sending your play field off for more clear to be placed on top of the already uncured clear going to help things?

Correct... usually! However Mirco told me he intentionally uses soft clear coat. (Said in email so I have proof of statement). This didn't set well with me and thus why JJP games look like a golf ball in short amount of time. I have a Kruzman cleared playfield and not one dimple after ~100 plays. NOT ONE.
And to answer your other question about having it professionally redone.... from my understanding the clear is sanded down to the minimal level, left to outgas? Something like that. Anyway it's allowed to cure and then additonal coats are sprayed with clear again. There's clearly *no pun intended* a difference in clear being used by Mirco VS HEP and Kruzman because when you get a playfield from either of the latter it's hard as nails and ready to be installed.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

The clear looks incredibly thick judging by how much build there is between the bare wood and the top of the finish. This is something people beg for and act like is plus but is actually not a good thing at all.

Winner winner chicken dinner. These playfields act like leaving the lid off a gallon of paint. The top sets up while the rest is soft. You have a 20 plus year old William's playfield with 1000s of plays and they look better than a 6 month old Mirco? Something is CRITICALLY wrong. JJP needs to take care of its customers and in return make Mirco absorb this loss. Making the buyers absorb their mistakes is plain bad business end of story. A new playfield for $500 plus $75 shipping for a product that most likely has the same craptastic clear job? JJP machines are off my buy list until this Mirco debacle comes to an end.

3 months later
#185 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You bought a Quicksilver play field from Mirco. Correct?
What kind of problems are you having with it, please?
I need to buy a QS play field but you are scaring me. Mirco is the only game in town. Do I need to be scared?

You should be VERY wary of any product that comes out of that business. Use a major credit card to purchase so you're protected. Four things you need to do IMMEDIATELY upon receiving it:
1.) Install a couple posts in different areas. This will help you quickly determine if you got an infamous crap clear coat or not.
2.) Verify the holes are drilled correctly and straight. The FH pf I got had the right half of the playfield holes drilled 1/8" off AND the rail holes were drilled crooked AF.
3.) Once everything else if verified give it a couple months. I've seen cloudy insert issues happen as well as the clear around inserts sink.
4.) And lastly, YOU MUST use cliffy protectors on any holes or the clear WILL chip and likely the graphics underneath will pull up with the clear.

Personally, I HIGHLY recommend you have it shipped directly to Ron Kruzman and let him clear coat it. The quality difference between mircos and what Ron does is night and day. Hell, email Mirco and ask him if you can buy a playfield without clear coat. You'll be money ahead.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CLEllison.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-had-any-issues-with-mirco-playfield-quality-?tu=CLEllison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.