(Topic ID: 330820)

have you had a buyer walk away?

By Matthew2015

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20221123_163049 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20221123_163159 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20221127_162017 (resized).jpg
    302308814_1484495648630540_923139556226704650_n (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 1 year ago

have you ever had a buyer walk from buying a pinball ? you go though all that trouble to sell it and the buyer makes it sound like he's so sure he wants it and even drives 4 hours to get there and some reason he changes his mind . he plays it a few times and looks over with a fine tooth comb , like a really fine tooth comb and looks at every inch of it for 30 minutes then he says " i don't think i want it" . Then i was like "why did you even drive 4 hours if you were so sure about wanting it!" . i tried to offer him $200 off the price to sell it but he said he would only take if i offered him a significantly better price. i think he hoping to find flaws and hoping i was desperate enough to sell way cheaper.
    I have sold a few pinballs before but this the first time this has happened to me and felt like quite a blow to me. so i thought i would vent about it here and make a topic on it .

If anyone else has had this happen to them , post it here .

#2 1 year ago

Yes, I would guess that most of us have had people come to look at a pinball machine and not buy it.

Thanks for asking!

#3 1 year ago

4hrs seems a bit much if they’re not serious. Unless: he was coming out your way anyway, or the machine was significantly worse than he thought it would be. Still, if he was serious, I’d expect him to make an offer before wasting 8hrs and +$100 in gas.

#4 1 year ago

he seems like he was serious about buying it . never said anything about a "maybe"
    I was surprised he did not make any offer . I even offered him $200 off but he still did not want the pinball.

#5 1 year ago

Really odd, I mean I've had several people message me they want something and beat me up over price ahead of time, but never one that showed and didnt take it. I also sell cars for a living and the vast majority of the time people that drive over an hour, let alone 4 are pretty serious buyers. The times when something fell through, there was a significant problem. Maybe they were casing your house for a burglary

#6 1 year ago

I've walked away a couple of different times. Usually over price and condition of the game.

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Matthew2015:

he seems like he was serious about buying it . never said anything about a "maybe"
    I was surprised he did not make any offer . I even offered him $200 off but he still did not want the pinball.

I just don't understand why this is bothering you so much. He wasted 8 hours of his time, not 8 hours of yours.

You've been around a while, is this really the first time this has happened?

I do sometimes try to mitigate time wasters. I was selling a TZ last week and made it clear to a few folks who "wanted to come by and see it" that it's a high demand game and I had little if any room to work on the price. But I mean, you can't force somebody to buy your game.

A little time wasted here and there is just the cost of doing business in pinball. If we all made a post for every deal that DIDN'T happen there'd be no room for left for price bubble threads.

#8 1 year ago

I haven't had it happen (yet), but I fully expect it could. I try to send a bunch of pics and a detailed description of pros and cons of everything I sell. In the end, I guess I'd rather have the person walk away than buying something they're not really sure they wanted, but I'd probably be a little bummed at the wasted correspondence time, and the time I held it for them when I could've possibly sold it to someone else.

#9 1 year ago

It happens to anyone who has been selling pins for some time. I tell potential buyers don’t waste their time if you lowball me when you get here. You know the price and be prepared to spend that amount.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Matthew2015:

have you ever had a buyer walk from buying a pinball ? you go though all that trouble to sell it and the buyer makes it sound like he's so sure he wants it and even drives 4 hours to get there and some reason he changes his mind . he plays it a few times and looks over with a fine tooth comb , like a really fine tooth comb and looks at every inch of it for 30 minutes then he says " i don't think i want it" . Then i was like "why did you even drive 4 hours if you were so sure about wanting it!" . i tried to offer him $200 off the price to sell it but he said he would only take if i offered him a significantly better price. i think he hoping to find flaws and hoping i was desperate enough to sell way cheaper.
    I have sold a few pinballs before but this the first time this has happened to me and felt like quite a blow to me. so i thought i would vent about it here and make a topic on it .

Perhaps this was just a scheme to get away from his spouse? How are things in the buyers home life? Did you offer some warm cocoa and a blanket?

#11 1 year ago

There is always another sucker who will come along

#12 1 year ago

I've definitely walked away from a purchase - quite a few times. It's all part of the learning process in knowing what I want and getting there by way of asking questions, and more importantly, asking for the right pictures.
    Early on, I drove 3.5 hours to check out a White Water that came with some pretty poorly lit and grainy photos. Got there to find the cabinet all hacked up and rails that were badly dented. No way I was buying that when I was on the hunt for as pristine condition one as possible. I didn't ask the right questions and for the right photos beforehand, so that's on me.
    All was not lost. Got in my car and called the owner of a Road Show that was for sale on the way back. Went home happy.

#13 1 year ago

Oh yeah, plenty of times. You'd think before driving four hours they'd want more detailed pics or a video but they could have had another reason for the trip anyway.

#14 1 year ago

When I've done this it is because the game wasn't as expected. Maybe he didn't want to say that because he didn't want to be confrontational.

#15 1 year ago

I once had a buyer that I purposely kind of talked out of buying a game.
    They were pretty local though, and somewhat inexperienced and seemed kind of needy when setting up the deal.
    So when they came to try the game out, I made a bit more emphasis on any negatives, and made it clear that I was perfectly fine if they decided not to buy it.
    They decided not to buy, and I was kind of glad, as I think they would have been bothering me with tech support requests.
    Or the game would have problems that they would blame me for, and being so local didn't want to deal with that.
    Ended up selling it to someone that is a collector and has more experience with pin ownership.
    It all worked out...

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just don't understand why this is bothering you so much. He wasted 8 hours of his time, not 8 hours of yours.
    You've been around a while, is this really the first time this has happened?
    I do sometimes try to mitigate time wasters. I was selling a TZ last week and made it clear to a few folks who "wanted to come by and see it" that it's a high demand game and I had little if any room to work on the price. But I mean, you can't force somebody to buy your game.
    A little time wasted here and there is just the cost of doing business in pinball. If we all made a post for every deal that DIDN'T happen there'd be no room for her price bubble threads.

i guess he did waste more time and the cost of gas on his end so i don't know why i am worked up about it .
    its true i have not been selling that long , mostly the last 3 years since the pandemic started i have i been serious about buying, selling and fixing pinballs.
    so it a matter of time before someone changed their mind , just wish it was before they drove all that way but i guess that on them.
    seems like walking out on a deal is not uncommon as i thought . maybe someday i might have to walk away if the deal is not just right.

thanks for the advise from your posts.
    i did not expect so many posts already.

#17 1 year ago

Walked away over 50 bucks before

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

I once had a buyer that I purposely kind of talked out of buying a game.
    They were pretty local though, and somewhat inexperienced and seemed kind of needy when setting up the deal.
    So when they came to try the game out, I made a bit more emphasis on any negatives, and made it clear that I was perfectly fine if they decided not to buy it.
    They decided not to buy, and I was kind of glad, as I think they would have been bothering me with tech support requests.
    Or the game would have problems that they would blame me for, and being so local didn't want to deal with that.
    Ended up selling it to someone that is a collector and has more experience with pin ownership.
    It all worked out...

I think this is being a ‘good seller’ and as you said probably sparing yourself some grief from any resultant issues as they learn about the ways of pinball. I try and do the same - I would prefer they are ready and end up pleasantly surprised versus the opposite.

#19 1 year ago

Assuming this is the ad in question:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/150902

Truth is that you really can’t tell the condition of the game from the photos. There aren’t close-ups of the playfield and I can’t really get a feel for the overall quality of the restoration. Now the language of your ad makes it sound like Twilight Zone Platinum edition. So you may be overselling it a bit. Hard to say.

If you are frustrated that multiple people may be wasting your time, consider some additional photos with playfield closeups and multiple angles on the cabinet.

I’d expect perfection from the description, BTW.

Oh, I’ve also walked away over $50. Even after towing a trailer to buy the car/bike/whatever.

My .02…

#20 1 year ago

I've walked away plenty of times. Little problems add up to a lot of cost and a lot of times it's not even worth trying to negotiate because there's another sucker that will come along and pay asking price. I've been that sucker plenty of times so I know.

#21 1 year ago

Speaking of wasting time and money I had a guy show up for a pin who rented a truck and a stair climber and left without the pin because he couldn't figure out how to use the stair climber. Better yet he paid me the money for the pin in full and said I'll be back to get it when I can have someone else come to help get it up from the basement. He said I'll just take the legs at least that way you can't sell the pin. Lol. Needless to say I got a stair climber from my work the next day and got the pin out of my basement so he could come back to get it loaded in another vehicle he had to rent again. Was quite an experience.

#22 1 year ago

I have sent buyers away before ,I am up front about my price before they come .Any haggling will be done before arrival.Occasionally a tire kicker will agree on price and then try and work the price again on arrival.Take it on the heals this aint the flea market.I offer as many detailed photos and videos the buyer requests in advance

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah, I’d be bothered more about the peculiarity of the situation, or what I did wrong to waste 8hrs of this guys time. I wouldn’t be worried about my lost time.

Selling isn’t quick and easy unless youre pricing your pins that way.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from jid:

Assuming this is the ad in question:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/150902
    Truth is that you really can’t tell the condition of the game from the photos. There aren’t close-ups of the playfield and I can’t really get a feel for the overall quality of the restoration. Now the language of your ad makes it sound like Twilight Zone Platinum edition. So you may be overselling it a bit. Hard to say.
    If you are frustrated that multiple people may be wasting your time, consider some additional photos with playfield closeups and multiple angles on the cabinet.
    I’d expect perfection from the description, BTW.
    Oh, I’ve also walked away over $50. Even after towing a trailer to buy the car/bike/whatever.
    My .02…

That game is overpriced for the playfield condition. If it had a hardtop it'd prob have sold at that price.

#25 1 year ago

Yes I get lots that say for hour or so and look at it over and over this guy was 3 hours away and still walk away some people as u said why drive that far this same guy after he seen the machine got a new PF for it then asked me if I still have it I said sorry it alreally sold it and it was month later after he seen the Machine like really dude lol

#26 1 year ago

Only had it happen once with many sales, but he didn't drive far. I would assume the pictures didn't show something he didn't like or the overall condition was much worse than he thought. Some people are very particular about their games. I've walked away after driving 4 hours each way for those reasons.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

That game is overpriced for the playfield condition. If it had a hardtop it'd prob have sold at that price.

yes , that's my ad , i thought i had good pictures of it . i would have asked $2000 but those new mpu/driver board and sound boards cost a lot.
    and i thought the playfield was pretty good for a original.

#28 1 year ago

Yes, once had a serious collector who was going with his hands all over the cabinet and didn't want to buy the game because he felt scratches.
    Felt. Didn't see.
    The game and playfield was beautiful. Cabinet probably had scratches but nothing large that you would notice.
    He just didn't want it as he wanted a perfect game.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Lately it seems that a hardtop reduces the price over a good original. Hardtops don’t play the same at all, and are only good if the game you’re hardtopping is trashed.

#30 1 year ago

i drove three hours round trip to walk away from the first game i ever wanted to buy- stickers all over the cab, strike one. score wheels don't reset on power on, strike two. wait- is the wood between the flippers literally worn so badly that the weight of the ball makes it bow on rollover? on an $800 surf champ?

i'm out

#31 1 year ago

I price my games to move fairly quickly, so I usually get enough responses that I can weed out the "needy" buyers pretty fast. Small non-pinball items I often just want to be gone ASAP with as little fanfare as possible. On FB marketplace, I will price something cheap and get 15 responses in 10 minutes. The first response that leads with "I will come right now, your price is acceptable" gets the item. No BS. No wasting half a day hearing someones life story and then getting an offer of 30% of my already super reasonable asking price. Works great.

#32 1 year ago

No, I usually have mine priced that people pay, load and go.

Very few tire kickers as I tend to weed them out via e-mail.

I like it that way, my time on weekends is valuable.

#33 1 year ago

i think the other reason why this guy decided he did not want the pinball was because he was buying it for someone else and felt like it was not in good enough shape or something. or maybe he wanted to get cheap to sell to this other person.

usually it takes me a a week to a month to sell a pinball. the only pinball i sold in less than one day was a mousing around pinball.
    been trying to sell the firepower for 1 month but no other people interested but i guess the pinball is not rare so its hard to sell.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Lately it seems that a hardtop reduces the price over a good original. Hardtops don’t play the same at all, and are only good if the game you’re hardtopping is trashed.

I rather have a nice original over a hardtop because of the look. Hardtops definitely play better than original due to the smoothness if the surface and elimination of friction due to surface imperfections like insert edges etc.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from Matthew2015:

Been there...Over time, it just doesn't bother you as much...Obviously the in person turn down is tough, but when people flake now, I don't care...These will continue to hold their value.

I feel bad for the mistakes I made in the past letting pins go for way lower than I should have, but you live and learn

#36 1 year ago

when I went to buy my second game, the seller was nervous as hell that i was going to bail. I had 13 consecutive days at work before I had a day off. He must have called or texted twice a day every day before that. Then on my five hour drive he texted at least three or four times. But it was my much beloved Title Fight a not very popular title i fell in love with at PAPA, so it was worth it......... of course if i'd known i was going to lose my job of 13 years the following Tuesday, i probably wouldn't have bought it.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Walked away over 50 bucks before

You did? How much was the price of the machine?

Some people aren't satisfied unless they win an offer. When I did tree work a neighbor came by while we were working to ask about a tree in his yard. I walked over, looked at it and said 100 bucks since we are already here. The customer countered and offered 95. My buddy and I gave each the look and said sure.

#38 1 year ago

if i am to continue selling pinballs i should expect that could happen again.
    but , yes , over time it wont bother me as much if it does happen again . if that person had said that he
    " might " buy it , then maybe it would be not been as much as a shock when he decided not to buy it.

did you really lose your job because of a pinball , douggalecawitz ?

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Matthew2015:

have you ever had a buyer walk from buying a pinball ?

I don't think I've had anyone bail when they've arrived to buy a game. But, I've had plenty of tire kickers over email/PM/text or when I'm selling a game at a show.

Quoted from Matthew2015:

but those new mpu/driver board and sound boards cost a lot.

Do you repair the original boards?

Often times, a few bucks in components can get a board back up and running. That way, you aren't trying to cover what you spent on new & expensive replacement boards.

Quoted from Matthew2015:

this the first time this has happened to me and felt like quite a blow to me

Sure, it's disappointing that a sale was not completed, but it's not a big deal. There will be other buyers.

#40 1 year ago

Sell anything and you can have a potential buyer realize it’s not for them, whatever their reason.

#41 1 year ago

i tried to repair the original board but no luck . the traces were bad in many spots.
    many of the circuit chips had shorts . even the removable chips were rusted. i would have had to replace the 40 pin interconnector also .
    there were so many parts that were bad and i lacked the soldering skills to fix it.

#42 1 year ago

At least you know where the person stands face to face. When we are buying / trading items that are near $10K transactions, that's the potential buyers decision.

I find this far worse and I'm sure plenty of others have experienced this. When you have a deal in place after much correspondence and effort on the sellers part and the buyer just ghosts and disappears last minute. I can even tolerate the pathetic "my wife says I can't buy it". At least that's a response

#43 1 year ago

Once a guy came to see my HUO Black Knight and it seemed like the only reason he didn't buy it was that the blue & purple inserts were faded, normal for BK even though mine is very low use and has been indoors in a dark bedroom practically it's entire life. Other than that it's perfecto. And this was over 20 years ago, my guess would be every BK's blue inserts have gotta be faded by now. Glad I kept it though, since then I corrected the color of the blue ones with 2X warm LEDs with selected layers of tinted color film over them.

#44 1 year ago

I had a Spooky Halloween CE. Game had some of the worst assembly and engineering quality of any game I’ve ever owned. I took 2 days off of work after owning it for several months and l meticulously fixed every complaint I had about it. Game played great for a month and I listed it for a $1000 loss.

Buyer drove 3 hours one way from Kansas City and played two games with me on it. Wouldn’t you know… it cooked the driver board while we were playing it. He chose not to buy and drove 3 hours back empty handed. I felt absolutely terrible. That’s my only time I had a buyer drive and change their mind and I don’t blame him.

#45 1 year ago

I did a trade involving my black hole machine. We agreed on trade, I broke it down drove 1 1/2 hours to his condo. Reassembled the game in his house and he played a few games and said he did not want it. Biggest Assxxxe on pinside. He did not like the game so he changes his mind. Then as I was breaking it down to leave he said he would reluctantly do it if I gave him $1000 in cash plus the trade. Both machines were equal in condition and value. Absolute scumbag. I am assuming he changed his id as he never listed another ad after that. Easter P.A. I dont rember the location.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

You did? How much was the price of the machine?

Issue was $1250 v $1200. A classic "well I upgraded the machine with Rottendog boards..." yada yada. Not an upgrade to me.

#47 1 year ago

i don't blame him either for not wanting Spooky Halloween CE. these new pinballs are made way too cheap and overpriced.
    especially the boards are made way too cheap.
    not built to last like Williams , bally and Gottlieb pinballs.

#48 1 year ago

$50 is not that much even at $1250. if it was EM project for $500 , then $50 might be enough to walk out on.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from Matthew2015:

especially the boards are made way too cheap.
    not built to last like Williams , bally and Gottlieb pinballs.

Kind of funny to see you write that after you talk about having to replace the original Williams boards on that Firepower with a Rottendog.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from Matthew2015:

$50 is not that much even at $1250.

Well apparently it was enough

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-had-a-buyer-walk-away?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.