Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Rick471
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

478.JPG
    477.JPG
    476.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

And how do you fix it..

476.JPG476.JPG 477.JPG477.JPG 478.JPG478.JPG

#2 12 years ago

It actually looks a lot worse in the photos than with the naked eye. You have to be on an angle to see it as the scratches are not down into the actual art work.

#3 12 years ago

That is weird.
    I would wax that in and see if it helps.

#4 12 years ago

might be where someone trimmed off some mylar with a razor

#5 12 years ago

If you are concerned you could seal it with thin CA glue. However it will then need wet sanding and polishing and might not be improved cosmetically. Personally, I'd just keep it clean and waxed.

#6 12 years ago

Just spitballing here, but maybe use some clear fingernail polish to protect the area, then wax it.

#7 12 years ago

It sounds/appears like damage to the clear coat. My first thought on repair would be light sanding followed by spot application of Varathane. The patch would then require sanding and polishing to match the surrounding clear. I've done things similar to this with good results.

#8 12 years ago

I think no matter what you do you will either see the marks or the repair. I would pull the play field and get the whole thing touched up and cleared, that will fix it for sure.

#9 12 years ago

It looks like knife cuts.

Most importantly, does impact ball play? I'm sure the flash picture makes this look worse than it is.

If you truly want it fixed, I have to agree with the ovfdfireman.

If its not that bad, and does not impact game play....I'd just wax it with a few coats, and wax it regurally.

#10 12 years ago

Looks like scrapes from a screwdriver or similar tool and what appears to be a prior mylar line, so I'd say someone got a little aggressive when removing mylar. It also looks like some touchup paint was applied. The only way to really fix this is to send the playfield for proper touchup and clear, or live with it.

#11 12 years ago

Dude, You ain't supposed to use real fish hooks to reel them in. Sell yer gear and get out the buffer.

#12 12 years ago

Hit the area with some 600 or 800 grit sandpaper - lightly. Don't go through the art.

Get some Zap-a-Gap CA glue or a good thin-mix CA from a hobby shop, with a pipette applicator tip.

Apply the CA into the crevices and around the sanded area. Let dry completely for 24 hours. Don't worry about the rough top or cloudiness. Sand with 400 grit - USING SOMETHING UNIFORM AND LEVEL AS A SMALL SANDING BLOCK - after fully dry, using Novus 2 or spit, until the CA area is level with the surrounding area. Novus 2 and then wax.

#13 12 years ago

Boy you guys are sure willing to spend a lot of time & money on a minor problem. The poster stated that it didn't look like it effected the artwork and wasn't as bad as it appears in the picture. Either wax it and live with it or do a spot clear and sand/polish. Yes you would probably still be able to detect the repair but you would have to be looking for it to see it and others wouldn't even notice.

gambit's solution is a viable option as well. I've seen it done but haven't used this method myself.

I would only strip and clear the entire playfield if there were other issues that needed to be addressed.

#14 12 years ago

Thanks very much for your suggestions guys. There is a number of things here that I think would work. Although as is often the case the ones most like to work well are the most expensive and time consuming (send it to a pro). The mark does not affect game play and has not been noticed by anyone else, my brother picks on anything he can spot, so if it was going to be noticed, it would have been by him. I guess I just wanted to know that there were options and I didn't have to live with it if it got on my nerves. At this stage I think I will just wax it all the time, if I go further I will probably go with what gambit and wbradley said. Thanks very much, I think these are good posts. It adds another thread to pinside for a problem that perhaps hasn't been mentioned before.

#15 12 years ago

I think its normal...

It where they tried to hook the fish

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-ever-seen-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.