8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by PoMC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

So I had this thought recently when playing Sega's Viper Night Driving - "Why am I having so much fun? I'm not supposed to enjoy this pin, am I? It's not sought after, not A List, not highly ranked and Pinsiders will crap on it."

I think Pinside, pin ratings, "A" List oPINions, and all the new game hype has subliminally caused me to purchase pins more expensive than my previous self-imposed price ceiling. For the longest time $1500 was my limit, but usually you can't find higher ranked games in that range. Then I picked up a Shadow for $2000 because it was a good deal for a "respected pin. Dracula and Judge Dredd soon followed. A few weeks ago I bought a local Viper Night Drivin' for $1400 and now it's my wife's favorite game and I've been playing it non-stop compared to the others.

So I just sold Judge Dredd and soon I will be selling The Shadow and Dracula. Thinking I'll keep the cheap project Maverick I'm working on, get the TFTC finished and get back to "just enjoying pinball". Plus all the extra money will help fund a bathroom for the basement.

My friends and family don't know what's considered "A List" or for example, how The Shadow has great rules and is a deep game. To anyone outside the hobby, all of them are just pinball games - and no one likes Shadow. I dislike the term "pinball collection" that gets bandied about so often here because I started to think of my pins as a collection and tried to obtain a "respected" lineup. A lot of keeping up with the Joneses that occurs in this hobby I think. I'm a guy who enjoys playing and repairing pins, not collecting them.

Just wondering if anyone else ever had these thoughts about our hobby and decided to sell pricier pins and replace with less expensive ones? Not because of financial reasons, just because if you can have a blast on a $1400 pin then why pay $4000-$8000?

#2 8 years ago

Only use the top 100 ratings as a guide. You are looking at some great games that are affordable. Play the games you want to buy as much as possible BEFORE you buy. If you like the pin and it makes you feel good, do Not pay attention to the ranking. Trust your gut not the top 100. All that matters is you like it!

#3 8 years ago

What does it matter what a list says , if you enjoy a game that's all that counts

#4 8 years ago

I am not downsizeing, but I don't 'NEED' to buy the latest NIB LE

Quite happy with buying older games

#5 8 years ago

I think I'm probably going to downsize considerably soon. I upsized because I wanted to try operating as a side business. But, it turns out that the government run lottery corporation puts lotto terminals in all the bars, and then tells them that no other coin-ops are allowed. So I have only 1 venue in the whole town, with 2 machines, and that's not enough to get any momentum. Meanwhile I can't move in my house, because it's full of machines. So I'll probably downsize from 9 machines to 3 or 4 this year.

***edit: How ironic is it that government banned pinball because it was "a form of gambling" when it actually wasn't, and now the government is pushing gambling down our throats and crushing non-gambling devices under their thumbs.

#6 8 years ago

I reduced my pins from 8 to 2. It wouldn't surprise me to sell those 2 as well as this hobby has become way too pricey.

#7 8 years ago

I don't go by any list other than my own...if I like a game and enjoy playing it I would buy it. I don't buy a game because it is a "must" have according to some list...IMO a lot of lists can be prejudiced by folks hyping a game in order to sell it for a premium price...

Phoebe

#8 8 years ago

After owning 4, with varying degrees of work needed, I have decided on selling and going down to 1 NIB. I'm at point where I just want to play and not work on any for awhile. I can always sell this one when/if I get the urge to do a project or two.

#9 8 years ago

Yes, I went from 3 to 0. Moving soon and will be building it back up better than before. Luckily we have a new location in town for me to play at.

#10 8 years ago

This is my second pinball owning era. Sold all my arcade machines and the few pins I owned back in 2004 when I moved. Plus I built a MAME arcade machine when I realized a mint Ms. Pac Man machine was just as boring to play as a beatup one. Decided one machine to rule them all was smarter and then I also wasn't constantly moving 300lb cabinets.

A few years ago my wife suggested getting a pin for our basement bar. Found a Party Animal for $400, which was cool because it was one I owned back the first go around. I'm at 8 now, 3 are projects though. Sold the Judge Dredd because my wife didn't like it and wouldn't play it when we had our tournaments against each other. So, bought the Viper and was like, great I'll sell Dredd, Shadow and Dracula and keep the much cheaper projects in their place.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-ever-downized-your-lineup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.