(Topic ID: 4872)

Have you ever bought parts for a game you don't even own?

By gweempose

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Schusler
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

medusa-prototype.jpg
    trans_001.JPG
    002.JPG
    001.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

I never have, but I've come pretty darn close a few times. I'm certain that I will at some point. I think it takes the addiction to a whole new level.

#2 12 years ago

Done it loads of times with older games that are rare and I know I would buy if they come along. Overall it has been worth it in my case.

#3 12 years ago

Yep, bought the beautiful spirit ring mod for TOM. Do hope to pick up a TOM soon!

#4 12 years ago

I have purchased several prototype/rare backglasses for machines I don't own and one for a machine I do own but won't install it.

#5 12 years ago

I bought $500 worth of mods for SM 6 months before I got it!

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from Brokedad:

I have purchased several prototype/rare backglasses for machines I don't own and one for a machine I do own but won't install it.

You don't have a Defender backglass do you? Me want bad!

#7 12 years ago

I'm watching a few T2 bust models at the moment because I'm thinking of making a header for the T2 or T3 than I don't own yet!

Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

You don't have a Defender backglass do you? Me want bad!

I know of someone who sold his defender a couple of years back and gave the guy his spare glass for free-could chase it for you but its in the UK somewhere

#8 12 years ago

Sorry no defender. My current backglass collection is:

Spirit (NOS)
    Embryon (NOS)
    Medusa (prototype)
    Joust (NOS)
    Taxi (NOS? With Marilyn Monroe)
    The Who's Tommy (Used - prototype)

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from Brokedad:

Medusa (prototype)

want that one!

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Brokedad:

Sorry no defender.

Bummer. Emo, I'd be nervous about buying anything overseas but for something that rare I might consider it.

#11 12 years ago

No, but Ive been tempted. I would if I had a little more room but so far Ive kept this craziness for the pins that I do have.

#12 12 years ago

Sorry emo .. the Medusa prototype is the one I have the machine for. My last offer was $3,300 for the machine and prototype backglass.

#13 12 years ago

I'm guilty. I've bought some Flash Gordon and Doctor Who stuff even though I don't own it yet. Can't help it I see a good deal and have to get it for those two titles as I will have them one day. Oh yes, one day...

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Bummer. Emo, I'd be nervous about buying anything overseas but for something that rare I might consider it.

It's only an outside chance anyway-I'll ask when I see him though

#15 12 years ago

I have a *minty* backglass for a Gottlieb Spirit! And still two years later no pin!

#16 12 years ago

I picked up a manual for a Williams Time Warp cheaply on Ebay a while ago. I've been promised one of these machines for a while now from another collector, I'm still waiting for the machine to arrive.

There are some parts for a Fish Tales topper, including the fish itself on UK Ebay at the moment. I am soooo tempted to bid, as they are very difficult to get hold of, even though I sold my FT a while ago...

#17 12 years ago

I didn't know Defender backglass was rare .. I put out some "feelers" and have a line on one for $295 .. seriously considering the purchase as it's someone I got one on my list from before. Is that a decent price ?? It's used but in great condition with no defects.

#18 12 years ago

I've bought translites & backglasses also.
    Got a Transporter the Rescue translite from Marco for only $34 what a deal! AWSOME ART!
    Big Bang Bar translite off ebay. also GREAT ART!
    Medusa backglass at a show for $125 ditto from above 001.JPG001.JPG 002.JPG002.JPG trans_001.JPGtrans_001.JPG

#19 12 years ago

Not for a particular game - just recently bought 4 new balls and a set of leg protectors cus what game couldn't use them.

However I think I'm about to buy a pair of Black Knight Magna Save stickers cus what Black Knight couldn't use them.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from Brokedad:

I didn't know Defender backglass was rare .. I put out some "feelers" and have a line on one for $295 .. seriously considering the purchase as it's someone I got one on my list from before. Is that a decent price ?? It's used but in great condition with no defects.

Well considering they only made 369 of that game it's pretty rare. If you can get that one and it's in the condition you describe I'll pay you a $100 finder's fee. Could pick up around the middle of August.

#21 12 years ago

Yes, bought the GNR topper for $50 when eBay was still dialup (but I'll get it one day!). And a Gorgar backglass for a metal reference that no one gets, lol.

#22 12 years ago

BD what is the diff with the Medusa Prototype art?

#23 12 years ago

I bought a Spiderman Topper a year before I bought the pin.

#24 12 years ago

BD what is the diff with the Medusa Prototype art?

I don't believe many of these still exist. Most likely the offer on my machine is more for the prototype backglass than the machine itself.

Quoted (and pic) from ipdb:

The backglass in the flyer shows a more physically revealing image of the Medusa than what appears on the production games. Artist Kevin O'Connor tells us about it:

"I painted the original revealing version and then was asked to paint over the naughty bits which truthfully, in reference to the groin area, was unintentional. It was just the way the folds in her gown turned out looking.

I can't imagine that any made it to production before Marketing put the brakes on but I do remember glass prototypes came in before then. Usually 9-10 samples. The flyers must have been printed early on before the decision was made."

medusa-prototype.jpgmedusa-prototype.jpg

#25 12 years ago

Well, There's a few Tables I really Want; TZ, Family Guy, The Simpson Pinball Party and I have seen so many rare mods, that that idea has come to my mind. Too many mods and not many money!

1 week later
    #26 12 years ago

Apart from a load of backglasses and playfields for gamesroom decor, I once bought 2 dustbins full of brand new pinball ramps from a French guy... it took a while to realise what he was selling because of his accent... I thought he was saying 'I have 2 big boxes of pinball roms in my garage'... I couldn't imagine how much 2 big boxes of roms would weigh, or the nightmare of sorting them out... then after a few failed attempts to clarify, I asked him to spell what he had... I wish I'd recorded some of the conversations I had with this guy!
    They're just gathering dust 'till I may buy the game one day that needs a new ramp! Nothing special in there, but I must admit, some of 'em I don't even recognise!

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from Brokedad:

truthfully, in reference to the groin area, was unintentional. It was just the way the folds in her gown turned out looking.

It would be very interesting to see a close up shot of those unintentional folds in her gown... just to see how an unintentional fold can be mistaken for a glaring camel's hoof!!

#28 12 years ago

Well, I just bought a set of NOS ramps for a Data East Batman I *don't* have!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-ever-bought-parts-for-a-game-you-dont-even-own and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.