Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by SunKing
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Ever been scammed buying a pin on craigslist? Please tell your story so we can avoid similar scams!

Edit: I should clarify-- I don't mean email phishing scams. I'm more thinking a long the lines of some kind of con. E.g., seller posts fake photos, you show up with cash, and that hotel scene from scarface happens. I don't know. It's not the scams I can imagine that I'm worried about, it's the ones that I can't.

#2 12 years ago

No, 3 for 3, T2, Batman Forever and No Fear
    Terminator 2 wasn't in the greatest shape but worked 100%
    Batman Forever was in niiice shape, plays good
    No Fear needed a few fuses, a bridge rectifier, switch work and a new 3rd flipper bushing

There are other games I would have bought off of CL but didn't pursue...

#3 12 years ago

I feel like I am getting scammed constantly... What is up with CL ads where games are supposedly for sale but you get no response? I will email to say I want to come see the game and am ready to buy, but never get a response. Sometimes I even offer well above market value to see if that will trigger a reply.

Seriously, why even post on CL if you are not going to respond? Are these just email collectors?

Maybe I will start attaching a picture of a hot chick playing pinball and say it is me and that I want to come play a few games with them.

#4 12 years ago

I know you said "Pin" in your post. I never bought a pin off CL but I did buy a video cocktail arcade (multicade) recently off CL. The deal went fine. The thing with CL is you have to be fast and get there quick. The good news is up to that point you are totally in the clear (no deposit or any binding deal) so you can check it out completely. The bad news is like I said previously, you have to be fast because every pin flipper around is out to score those deals quick and cheap. If they can get in there fast and with cash in hand they can usually snatch it up and most other folks don't have a chance.

#5 12 years ago

So far I have bought 1 pin of CL with no issues. This weekend I am driving 600 miles to pick up two more I've found on CL. Feel pretty good about them as I got tons of pics from both sellers. Hope it turns out good!

#6 12 years ago

No...
    I only go for CL ads with actual phone #'s attached. Everything else just seems to be a waste of time.
    Being local to the seller usually gives you the advantage as well.

Not responding to e-mails is not a scam- he/she's just another terrible CL communicator.

#7 12 years ago

Bought 2, 1 good deal 1 so so still pending.

#8 12 years ago

How can you get scammed? You see the item, test it, play it, and know plenty about it before buying it. It's not like you take it home only to find out your theatre of magic you thought you bought is actually a fish tales.

#9 12 years ago

Wrong definition of "scam." Not getting a reply = not getting a reply. Wiring money so they will hold the item for you and then never hearing back = scam.

The most popular CL scam is vehicles, paying money via a holder's site and no vehicle. Jewelry and cell phones will get you (or git u) too but those are usually in person robberies. Happens a lot where I live.

#10 12 years ago

You're not getting scammed if you haven't lost any money or property.

Someone not responding to your emails on their ads = NOT getting SCAMMED.

Maybe your definition and mine are different, but someone not sending you a response doesn't even come close to what a scam is.

I've seen local news reports of people that show up to do a deal and getting robbed, shot,
    and just plain taken on a full blown scam.

Here's a CL scam.

Seller advertises they have Ipads for sell. Buyer shows up, pays seller money. Seller hands buyer
    a package, plastic wrap sealed. Inside is NOT an Ipad, but a solid piece of wood. By the time the buyer has opened up the package the seller has already left the scene.

Someone not responding to your email...jeez don't make me laugh. You're not getting scammed.

#11 12 years ago

Nio i would never wire anyone money for any reason.

#12 12 years ago

10 years ago. I was given a fake money order that cleared the bank and then 3 weeks later bounced.

#13 12 years ago

Sorry, my response was tongue in cheek. I need to learn to use the winky smiley better.

Everyone is so damn serious I thought the additional comment of sending a pic of a hot chick would bring through the jest of my post.

Back on topic>>
    Never been scammed.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

10 years ago. I was given a fake money order that cleared the bank and then 3 weeks later bounced.

You have to wait 10 business days for any check to clear....very important.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Sorry, my response was tongue in cheek. I need to learn to use the winky smiley better.
    Everyone is so damn serious I thought the additional comment of sending a pic of a hot chick would bring through the jest of my post.
    Back on topic>>
    Never been scammed.

I thought your post was fine bud. Internet text is hard to figure sometimes for some folks as you know. Winkies do help mucho if you can remember...I usually forget myself

#16 12 years ago

No scams. Tomorrow will probably be 5/5, nice deals on craigslist.

#17 12 years ago

For all the BS that comes with a free site like Craigslist
    I'd have to say it works for me buying or selling just follow the rules and you wont get burned

#18 12 years ago

I have to think that when he is saying that he is getting "scammed" is that there are a number of false postings on CL. When you "get no response" (for the most part, not all) the postings are people trolling for email address (email collectors) and sell your good email address off to email lists.

Ever noticed that you respond to a posting and a few days latter you have more "spam"???

I have also found some nice pin's on CL so you have to take the bad with the good...

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

Av8 said:10 years ago. I was given a fake money order that cleared the bank and then 3 weeks later bounced.

Actually, having a GF who used to manage a bank, many checks take 3 weeks to bounce.

The bank has to make the money available to you in 48 hours, BUT the check can bounce for the next 4 weeks.

Personal check, money order, cashier's check, whatever, they ALL can bounce for 4 weeks.

#20 12 years ago

Have yet to be scammed on CL. Common sense usually works best to avoid that kind of stuff. Only pet peeve is those sellers who use electronic means to advertise but won't accept emails for inquiries. WTF?!

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

wesperron said:Av8 said:10 years ago. I was given a fake money order that cleared the bank and then 3 weeks later bounced.

Actually, having a GF who used to manage a bank, many checks take 3 weeks to bounce.

The bank has to make the money available to you in 48 hours, BUT the check can bounce for the next 4 weeks and then they will ding your account for the full amount of the check + the bounced check fees.

Personal check, money order, cashier's check, whatever, they ALL can bounce for 4 weeks.

1 week later
    #22 11 years ago

I've purchased four pins off CL. 1) An old Bally Black Jack, 2) Bally Paragon, 3) Firepower, and 4) Gottlieb Genie. I always talk to the seller before deciding if it's worth a drive to check it out. If I do make the decision to check it out, I will always research the sellers location on Google Maps (street view if possible). It's also a good idea to bring a friend. IMHO, If you're careful, the chances of getting scammed are pretty slim.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-ever-been-scammed-on-cl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.