(Topic ID: 108669)

Have you ever "beaten" a pinball machine?

By DadofTwins

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bop.JPG
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

I played 15 games or so last night on my TWD and I got my ass kicked by it. One multi ball mode activated in all those games and barely broke 10 mill each game. Got me thinking......how many of you have actually beaten or completed one of your machines? Was it once and done or can you keep doing it? How many different titles have you accomplished this on? Mike

#2 9 years ago

I beat Cactus Canyon (maybe not too impressive) but it was fun!

#3 9 years ago

Never, not even close. While I enjoy playing, I'm really not that good.

#4 9 years ago

On earlier SS games, I consider beating it rolling the score back to zero. Done that umpteen times.

On alpha games, usually the last objective in the game is scoring the jackpot. After that it's all a repeat so I would say that is beating those. Rolling them over is just chopping wood. Although it can be nigh-impossible to score 100M on most of them.

On newer mode-based games, playing and/or completing (when possible, some modes can't be completed, you just run out of time) all the modes including mini wizard and wizard modes. This has become harder and harder over the years, and I have been able to do it less and less...I also rarely get the chance to play newer games.

#5 9 years ago

Majority of all of my pins... If this is what your referring to than yes I suppose I've beaten / finished various games;

Jurassic park "System Shutdown" pretty much every time I turn the machine on im able to complete this super easy... You can stack modes also I think I've done it on ball 1 once
The Simpsons Pinball Party "Alien Invasion" you can almost cheat your way if you stall and hold the ball with the upper flippers while the timer modes tick down (this aids with super doper extreme wizard mode)
Pirates of the Carribean "Four Winds" this actually requires work
Indiana Jones "Wizard mode / all modes completed" depending on your dead foam or if it's an original mode start hole this can be challenging.

#6 9 years ago

I have 30 machines, and have been through over another 80 in my time. I've beat almost all. I just posted about getting to the SDMEWM in TSPP, and I have been to Valinor in LOTR.

Out of all I have, the only machines I have not beaten are TS (been to final many times, just can't complete the mini), RS (most redonkulous super wizard to get to for pre 2004 machines, just did the second final city, but still have not reached the third and final), WPT (next on the agenda for concentration), Maverick (been to final, but I don't think I completed the Poker Championship), ACDC Premium (have been to encore, but never scored the encore JP, so I don't considered that beaten either).

All others I've bent over many times. I've done TZ LITZ once 4 times in one game, TAF mansion 3 times, almost got to Join the circus 3 times in a game (second wave of final waves is different, curious to see one day if third is too, don't spoil this if you know). I've even saved Olive in Popeye, how many can say that! (mostly because no one gives that machine a chance, hard final and vid/play mode).

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

All others I've bent over many times

Oh my

#8 9 years ago

Something tells me he has set off the tilt a few times

#9 9 years ago

It was consensual, they knew the safety word, dented the coindoor a little though...

#10 9 years ago

If completing 'wizard mode' or all the modes constitutes beating it I have beaten all I have owned but one - TSPP. I really tried too but just couldn't do it. Have owned over 50 titles, tspp took me down.

#11 9 years ago

Slapping the lockdown bar is the only time I've beaten a pin.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

If completing 'wizard mode' or all the modes constitutes beating it I have beaten all I have owned but one - TSPP

Oh, I was only talking about getting to wizards/final, doing what is there. I am not sure if I have actually beaten *every* mod in a game and done the wizard. That would be pretty insane on any machine. I likely have on TAF, possibly on LOTR as well, as most modes get won there regularly other than WK.

I've never even considered that before.

#13 9 years ago

Barely made it to any wizard mode, let alone completed it. So.... no.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Oh, I was only talking about getting to wizards/final, doing what is there. I am not sure if I have actually beaten *every* mod in a game and done the wizard. That would be pretty insane on any machine. I likely have on TAF, possibly on LOTR as well, as most modes get won there regularly other than WK.
I've never even considered that before.

Most games you need to beat all the modes to get to the wizard. The one I can think of where you don't is the spider multi on SS. That wizard mode is so easy to get to I wouldn't consider that beating it unless the spider is completed.

I can't think of any other big modes that don't count towards the wizard mode??

#15 9 years ago

I've only ever beaten games on Pinball Arcade. A bunch of them even. But a physical machine? Nope.

Got to Portal once on TRON, though. That's close, but didn't complete it.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

Most games you need to beat all the modes to get to the wizard. The one I can think of where you don't is the spider multi on SS. That wizard mode is so easy to get to I wouldn't consider that beating it unless the spider is completed.
I can't think of any other big modes that don't count towards the wizard mode??

Most you have to start them, but not beat them. Only machines like LOTR and RBION for example have an aspect of collecting gifts/ripley letters as a part of getting to the final. I thought you were actually talking about beating each mode, not just starting it. As in starting the mode, beating that mode as well, doing that will all, and going to the final. As mentioned, many modes don't have an end, and are unlimited, so pretty much impossible on most machines.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Most you have to start them, but not beat them. Only machines line LOTR and RBION for example have an aspect of collecting gifts/ripley letters as a part of getting to the final. I thought you were actually talking about beating each mode, not just starting it. As in starting the mode, beating that mode as well, doing that will all, and going to the final. As mentioned, many modes don't have an end, and are unlimited, so pretty much impossible on most machines.

That's a good point, I was just thinking of starting them.

#18 9 years ago

Beat a few in my day
Afm
Tz
Ss
Ngg
Road show
Sttng
Totan
MB
Jm
Taf

#19 9 years ago

Ive beaten a handful of games but dear god beating banzai run is probably the most satisfying shot in all of pinball. One shot at the captive ball, if you miss ball goes back to the lower play field and the other ball is released again forcing you to do it all over.

#20 9 years ago

I beat banzai run LIKE A DRUM!
thought it was gonna blow up.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

On earlier SS games, I consider beating it rolling the score back to zero. Done that umpteen times.

Wow. I'd pay money to see someone rollover my big game or strikes and spares.

#22 9 years ago
#23 9 years ago

I did not know you could beat them. They always drain at the end and you have to put more money it them to continue. I think they always beat us.

#24 9 years ago

I've managed to "beat" all of my machines so far by reaching and/or completing every wizard mode or ultimate goal they offer, except for MB's "Lyman's Lament", which is technically not a so called wizard mode, but I'd still like to do it without a cheat code someday. However, if you look at my collection, I only have Williams/Bally DMDs in there right now. Those 90's W/B games are much easier to complete or beat than pretty much any modern Stern. Getting to Valinor on LOTR, or seeing the wizard modes of TSPP and Family Guy, would be much (MUCH) more difficult. Someday I'd like to add some Sterns to the collection and give those a shot.

#25 9 years ago

I finally beat Germany in the World Cup on WCS94, still didn't top my friends grand champion score I bought it from though, when I do that I will consider it beaten.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

I finally beat Germany in the World Cup on WCS94, still didn't top my friends grand champion score I bought it from though, when I do that I will consider it beaten.

I agree with this. A game is not beaten until you have the highest score known in that game with Beating all modes of applicable.

#27 9 years ago

Sounds like we have a ton of exceptional players here on pinside. I have owned LOTR for about 4 years and have never even gotten close to the "end" modes. I guess that is what keeps you coming back for more. If the games were easy they would get boring.

#28 9 years ago

LOTR:
Got to "There and Back Again" a few times, but never finished it.
Got the "hidden" Gift of the Elves about a week ago.
Beat "destroy the ring" several times.
Never got to "Valinor".

WH2O:
Got "Vacation Jackpot" twice since I have owned it.

NBAFB:
Got a single ring, but never more than that (there are 4 total).

XMEN:
Got to Danger Room a few times, but never beat it.
Have yet to see Dark Phoenix.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Sounds like we have a ton of exceptional players here on pinside. I have owned LOTR for about 4 years and have never even gotten close to the "end" modes. I guess that is what keeps you coming back for more. If the games were easy they would get boring.

Exactly. What keeps me playing too is trying to beat someone else's high score. I haven't played baby Pacman in forever because my high score is ridiculous. If someone were to beat it, I'd be on the badboy like white on rice again.

#30 9 years ago

RS
CV
WCS

On newer sterns I haven't totally understood the objectives. Only ones I can think of that I totally get are Tron, IM and RBION.. It seems that the Bally/Williams games were easier to understand what you were trying to achieve. I don't know maybe just me

#31 9 years ago

I've "beaten" WH2O and IJ a couple of times, meaning Vacation Jackpot in WH2O and all Modes + Wizard Mode in IJ (one time I even made it twice in one game on 3 balls and plenty EB's... my mode hole works pretty good )

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from redmamanora:

Never, not even close. While I enjoy playing, I'm really not that good.

DITTO!!!

#33 9 years ago

Tron. Once, beat Portal.
WCS. Yep, beat Germany
Junk Yard. Pretty easy actually. Beat within 1 week of ownership

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wow. I'd pay money to see someone rollover my big game or strikes and spares.

I agree. Rolling over seven digit Big Game would be a feat indeed! What would it take, a solid 35-45 minutes of game play?

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

WH2O:
Got "Vacation Jackpot" twice since I have owned it.

Yikes, forgot about that, haven't done that yet, but close, but have only owned it for a couple months, and haven't done a full shop, so haven't played it much. That will be a fun one to get to.

So you got to the third wizard mode / final city? Or just one of the two min wizard modes / first lines across the country?

Quoted from judremy:LOTR:
Got to "There and Back Again" a few times, but never finished it.
Got the "hidden" Gift of the Elves about a week ago.
Beat "destroy the ring" several times.
Never got to "Valinor".

Tip on TABA: Try to get gollum started before starting TABA, only way you can stack a MB with this mode, and also makes making all the shots more easy. I have finished this many times, but it only awards 5m as a bonus, I expected more. If you can stack 2x before this, it REALLY cashes out.

#36 9 years ago

So you got to the third wizard mode / final city? Or just one of the two min wizard modes / first lines across the country?

Well I believe I got to the final city. Tell what happens and I will let you know.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

I agree. Rolling over seven digit Big Game would be a feat indeed! What would it take, a solid 35-45 minutes of game play?

Haha. I'd say like 2 hrs

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Well I believe I got to the final city. Tell what happens and I will let you know.

There is Earthquake and Alien Invasion, not sure of the third. Don't spoil it if you know, but I've only done the first two, had I think three cities left before LA, which I believe is the main final, I can't recall, not at home.

#39 9 years ago

On World Cup Soccer:
1) Beat Germany during Final Draw
2) Beat Germany in World Cup Final
3) Achieve Grand Champion
All this in one game, then you have it "beaten".

#40 9 years ago

I get to the Genie Battle on TOTAN on a near-daily basis. Sometimes I win, sometimes I don't, but either way, the game continues on. It's gotten so I have to Harrison Bergeron myself to shorten the games, by increasing the feature difficulties and reducing the chances of getting extra balls. Still, it remains my all-time favorite game and is never boring.

Getting to wizard mode on my Rocky & Bullwinkle isn't terribly difficult, so the goals I've set for myself are: 1) unlock all 8 WABAC rewards on the first ball and 2) score over a billion points (which I've only done about four times).

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha. I'd say like 2 hrs

Maybe who knows? BTW chuckwurt check the club.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I get to the Genie Battle on TOTAN on a near-daily basis.

When I had my TOTAN I could get there all the time too. Almost beat it twice in one game. For fun I would sometimes see how fast I could get to the genie using rubies and wishing away 2 modes at once. I could get there in like 5 minutes sometimes.

TOTAN used to be my all time favorite, but just didn't have the depth for me in a small collection. A few more multiball modes would have gone a long way. Harem multiball should have also been a rare Bazaar award. Hopefully TOTAN code 2.0 comes out someday to give this title more life.

#43 9 years ago

When I beat Germany on my WCS94, that's when I wanted to sell it.

#44 9 years ago

Well, I got to the West Coast and super payday on Roadshow so I guess I beat it a few times in 8 years.

I got to the sun and hit the shot on Pin Bot (took lots of extra balls to do it) less than 10 times in 22 years so I guess I beat that.

Completed everything on Terminator 2 including super jack pot and pay back time, etc so I guess I beat that.

Got all the modes, jackpot , etc on Whirlwind so maybe beat that.

All I have left is Indy 500 and not even close to accomplishing several of the final goals, like 200 laps, and first place, all the modes etc.

#45 9 years ago

If I can successfully complete all modes on IJ, TOM, and TZ I consider them partially beaten.

My first major milestone was getting the high score during LITZ, on my Twilight Zone. Sadly, I have only done it once. With all the balls in play at once, my flippers quickly turn to mush.

#46 9 years ago

TAF
TZ
STTNG
DM
JM
MM
TOTAN
CV
LOTR's
many more
The problem is with some pins once you achieve wizard and complete the game it loses it appeal. Some games I can get the wizard over and over again, but the marathon pins that can last a hour or longer once conquered feel done and time to move on, until a year or two later then you want it back. Damn pinball.

#47 9 years ago

I happen to love the fact that you can never truly beat a pinball machine. That score can always be higher.

I recently put up a 77 million score on WW. Will I ever beat that? Probably not but I will keep trying.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

When I had my TOTAN I could get there all the time too. Almost beat it twice in one game. For fun I would sometimes see how fast I could get to the genie using rubies and wishing away 2 modes at once. I could get there in like 5 minutes sometimes.

Sometimes, just for an extra challenge, I try to get as far as I can without wishes and only select the right-flipper rewards. If I can get through two genie battles in one game, I know it's time to increase the difficulty.

#49 9 years ago

I've Toured the Mansion (TAF)
I've Escaped the Junkyard? (JY)
I've Shutdown the System (JP)

#50 9 years ago

You've been to Valinor?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 16.00
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-ever-beaten-a-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.