Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MM (resized).jpg
    9E6C2E61-7B70-47D7-B126-E239993ED845 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 3.21.36 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 3.17.24 PM (resized).png
    top (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

Top 10 is looking real, I tend to agree.

Bally/Williams, 5 perhaps boosted by CGC ?
    Stern pinball, 4
    JJP, 1

only game changer next year may be AP and Deeproot

So wanting AP make a top 10, can't wait to see what Deeproot has up its sleeve.

perhaps TAF may drop out in 2019

Thoughts ?
    top (resized).JPGtop (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

Looks pretty good from here.
    -Mike

#3 5 years ago

nah, too many Stern Fanboys that uber hype all the new crap when it comes out.

LOTR, MET, and ACDC have no place in the top 10 of any respectable list.

LOTR is old hack and lost its flavor. Still a top 20 game, but not in the top 10 for sure.
    ACDC was super hype when it came out, but pretty sure most people would take every other game in the current top 20 over it now-a-days.

Any top 10 that does not contain a single pre-DMD is flawed also.

#4 5 years ago

The only top ten thats matters to me and should matter to you is ur own personal top ten, fuck all the rest who cares what anyone else thinks? The current Pinside top 10 doesn't contain even 1 of my personal picks

#5 5 years ago

I have my top 10 right here in my house. That is the only list I care about.

#6 5 years ago

Don’t think DI has earned a lasting spot yet on the list. Code needs to improve or it will probably fade to top 20.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

But your collection only says 8. False advertising!

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

LOTR is old hack and lost its flavor. Still a top 20 game, but not in the top 10 for sure.
    ACDC was super hype when it came out, but pretty sure most people would take every other game in the current top 20 over it now-a-days.

Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but this one is....wrong.

I'm slightly surprised that walking dead or Indiana Jones arent on it, but then again, who do you take off in their place?

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but this one is....wrong.
    I'm slightly surprised that walking dead or Indiana Jones arent on it, but then again, who do you take off in their place?

In my mind Indiana Jones is far better than the current 7-9. DI,Met,Acdc.

#10 5 years ago

IMO DI is better than Indy but only by a touch. Hard to imagine TAF falling off the list, but who knows! I’ve seen a lot of people inexplicably trashing TZ lately, so perhaps that’s next. Still don’t understand that sentiment

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Still don’t understand that sentiment

people looking to buy in most cases.

See lots of people that trash an old classic that is awesome... 2 months later they have the game in their collection.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

people looking to buy in most cases.
    See lots of people that trash an old classic that is awesome... 2 months later they have the game in their collection.

Lol.. does it work?!, I have my eye on a bunch of classics

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Lol.. does it work?!, I have my eye on a bunch of classics

I think it is the psychology of it when buying. People just verbally downplaying what they want, eventually realizing they are not going to find that deal, and then pony up for a great game.

Good luck in the hunt.

#14 5 years ago

I don't care about the top 10, i have my top 3 in my gameroom and it's the best top 3 in the world

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Still don’t understand that sentiment

It's the "I cant afford it or it's not available le for me to buy so I'll trash it..." mentality. Totally saw it with AFM. Now, everyone can buy one on a whim and it pretty much dethroned MM.

#16 5 years ago

The idea that AP or Deeproot is going to have a top 10 all time game by next year is a total joke.

#17 5 years ago

No, everyone has their own top 10. For me only 3 or 4 of these actually belong there.
    The masterpiece that is "The Shadow" clearly should be somewhere near the top.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

Bingo. The top ten is whatever you want it to be AND how you customize it.

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 3.17.24 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-01 at 3.17.24 PM (resized).png
    #20 5 years ago

Last 6 months ratings versus last 12 months ratings

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 3.21.36 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-01 at 3.21.36 PM (resized).png
    #21 5 years ago

Serious question: is AFM really a number one game? Better than all the modern greats still, or is it high due to nostalgia and an achievable price point to own, now?

#22 5 years ago

its an outstanding game.

#23 5 years ago

AFM is pretty perfect.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

AFM is pretty perfect.

Definitely an A++ title but not for me.
    When I look at these lists I don’t agree with them but I also understand the universal appeal of most of these titles.

#25 5 years ago

The only one that bugs me on that list is Iron Maiden. It’s not the number 3 game of all time. Not even close. But what can you do about fanboy ratings?

There are others that I disagree with, but I can understand those. Just not Iron Maiden.

#26 5 years ago

JJP POTC might crack the top 10. Maybe.

#27 5 years ago

Mostly agree however I just can't see how it why acdc is placed that high. IMDN too is way over over hyped at this time. A great game but not sure it deserves every it is right now.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

The only one that bugs me on that list is Iron Maiden. It’s not the number 3 game of all time. Not even close. But what can you do about fanboy ratings?
    There are others that I disagree with, but I can understand those. Just not Iron Maiden.

I own and love iron maiden, but honestly dont understand why its THAT high. Top 15 yes... number 3? Absolutely not.

#29 5 years ago

I think TWD has to be in the top 10 games of all time and i also think that IMDN deserves a spot in the top 10. I realize its only been out for a short period of time but holy crap is it amazing! I think Indiana Jones should probably be in there also.

#30 5 years ago

Does the rating calculator take into consideration outliers? I noticex on some historical "controversial" games people will rate like a 1, and other traditional mediocre games some people eill give it a 10. Didn't know how they average the scores.

#31 5 years ago

It's tough to expect someone who just spent 6-8k on their first NIB Stern and not rate it a perfect 10; Aerosmith is apparently better than Funhouse, Iron Man, The Shadow, Cactus Canyon LOL. The list is flawed by hype and by the fact that there is such a varience in member experience. I would guess that quite a few people on this site are relatively new and never had the chance to play all of the classic games from the sys11-WPC95 eras. That being said, if you strip out the hype, the list is pretty accurate.

To me, the top ten should be filled with games that have changed the game of pinball by great design and innovation. MM has a freaking castle that blows up, a draw bridge over a moat and a secret lock. Twilight zone has magnet flippers and a porcelain ball. Dialed in has an interactive theatre and camera. Monster Bash has drac in a coffin and frank. All of these games also shoot like a dream. AFM, IMDN, and especially LOTR, MET and ACDC are great games in their own right, but they don't represent great innovation in the world of pinball. Maybe AFM with the saucer, but it doesn't come close to a top 10 for me. TAF could stay purely based on the fact that it was the best machine in history to learn on. It's the machine that everyone from the old days knows like the back of their hand. It also offered a little innovation in the auto flipper function.

Games that are bumped a little too low because of hype: Shadow, TOTAN, STTNG, ToM, CV, FH, WW, but they are still up there.

Head-scratchers: Congo 40th, World Cup Soccer 57th, Dr. Who 66th - These games are better than over half of those above them!

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Serious question: is AFM really a number one game? Better than all the modern greats still, or is it high due to nostalgia and an achievable price point to own, now?

No, but a bunch of guys who recently bought a remake are pumping the score with perfect 10s.

This is a pattern with many NIB buyers and also why you shouldn't trust the ratings.

#33 5 years ago

My opinion: The list is starting to resemble something that could be defined as a "Hall of Fame" of sorts, although I also think a Top "10" is way too few games.

I could accept that most of the list certainly belong there.

On the other hand, Pinball greatness is completely subjective. As others have pointed out, everyone is going to have their own list. I think of my collection as being comprised of my list of "Favorites". Those are games that I like enough to drop the coin, and it appears I still enjoy them enough that they are currently winning the competition for limited space. They certainly don't have to be among the Greatest Of All Time, but they have to work for me, my friends, and my family. For the record, I only own one of the current Top 10, and there are only 2 others I would consider picking up, but I would have to find a pretty good deal.

Having said all that, I'd happily drop a bunch of quarters in any and all of those games if I were to find them on location (except TAF. That game never really clicked for me, and no, I'm looking for one. ).

That's my perspective as a collector.

If I were an operator, though, I'd be keeping a very close eye on that list, and I'd try hard to make sure that I had as many of those games as possible on route.

#34 5 years ago

The big question for new pins is staying power. How many of those newer machines are going to still be sitting in top ten in twenty plus years time let alone top of mind?

LOTR is the best shot at this stage notching up 15 years.

Quoted from RA77:

perhaps TAF may drop out in 2019
    Thoughts ?
    [quoted image]

26 years and counting. Not bad for a licensed era specific tied to a movie release at the time title.

Anyone want to call it now and say Deadpool or any of the other superhero du jour movie titles will follow suit?

#36 5 years ago

I think giving a game a 10 is just kind of lazy. And giving a game less than 5 is just spiteful. I wish I could filter out all the ratings over 9.8 and less than 5.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

I think giving a game a 10 is just kind of lazy. And giving a game less than 5 is just spiteful. I wish I could filter out all the ratings over 9.8 and less than 5.

I only have ever rated two machines under 5. And, they are really not good machines.... But everything else was 6.5 or better.
    No 10's, but 6 are 9 or better....

#38 5 years ago

The biggest problem with the top 10 is that it only includes 10 games. If we expand the top 10 to include 30 games, it would be a better top 10.

Thumbs me up if you’re 110% with this idea! Yay maths!

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

The biggest problem with the top 10 is that it only includes 10 games. If we expand the top 10 to include 30 games, it would be a better top 10.

I'm on board. My collection is like my top 10 in 30 games.

#40 5 years ago

I do find it interesting when you stumble upon that new user who that only gives 10s and 2s. Tron, TNA, IMDN, and MM are apparently all the worst games ever made. I wish flagging a review actually did something when it had enough flags.

9E6C2E61-7B70-47D7-B126-E239993ED845 (resized).png9E6C2E61-7B70-47D7-B126-E239993ED845 (resized).png
    #41 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to get back to you on that one.

But here's some math - if you go from position 1 to 30 there is a difference of about 0.7. To go down again that far it takes you down to position 150. Musta been the 10's...

#42 5 years ago

There should be Pinside Member rankings based on how they score games - reduce the value of people who use 1 or 10.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I appreciated the chuckle.

Also, modders take note. MM needs a moving castle to be good.

MM (resized).jpgMM (resized).jpg
    #44 5 years ago

Each sub rating is only out of six, which means each drop is worth 16.7%. Sometimes 83.3% is too low, which causes perfect tens. For example, I see TZ as a 9.5 or 9.6, but none of the sub ratings were 8.3 to me. In my opinion, the sub ratings should be out of ten or each member should only be allowed one 10. Easy to program, and would help with fanboy ratings.

#45 5 years ago

Nope, iron maiden is too new to not be past the ohhh shiny phase of its ratings. Other than that I guess, but frankly really don't care. Iceman and modfather put it best because the stuff in my house are machines I'd much rather have.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-we-reached-a-top-10-truth-2018-?hl=zennmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.