(Topic ID: 38134)

Have three pins I'm choosing between... would love some input!

By 27dnast

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by 27dnast
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_shot_2013-01-31_at_8.27.15_PM.png
Screen_shot_2013-01-31_at_8.28.00_PM.png
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

I haven't played the Stargate. I have an F-14 and have played the Black Hole plenty. I like the F-14 so much that even though mine is pretty nice, I'd consider selling it and replacing it with the HUO one you are talking about. I'd say get the F-14, and if you decide not to - let me know where it is, I just might go for it. By the way, F-14 is a fast, aggressive game. Not relaxing, but very exciting and can be quite maddening. New players get frustrated fast, and games are short. Blink and the ball is gone. Every time I play it I feel like I am preparing for a boxing match. And I usually get knocked out! - then I get back in the ring.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I thought the kids would be floored by F-14's amazing light display.

I put blue and orange LED flashers behind the pyramid and red on some of the other "explosion" shots in Stargate. When the glider comes out and those lights start flashing it's super cool, everyone loves it. It also has tons of multi-ball which kids and non-pinheads seem to love.

Stargate has some unique settings in the menu that make the game friendly for kids and non-pinheads, like "auto-skill" which is basically a handicap feature, and "minimum game time" (up to four minutes).

#53 11 years ago

Given the condition, both SG and F14 if you can, BH is beautiful, but lacks in the play IMO.

I would say F14 first, as it's HUO. SG is very deep, but can be found pretty easy, and usually in great shape. F14 HUO is a very rare find.

#54 11 years ago

Did you all see my clarification about the F-14? It was house owned for the last 15 years. It began its life in an arcade.

#55 11 years ago

So these would be the options:

That I'm looking at: HS2, f-14, SG, Big Hurt and Black HOle

#56 11 years ago

Just pick one randomly at this point.

#57 11 years ago

Ha! Dart board, here I come

#59 11 years ago

SG is great and may last in your game room.
BH is beautiful but overpriced in France. And beware of the memories you have from your youth. Make sure you play it again and again before buying it.
F14 is brutal but haven't played it enough to judge it.

#60 11 years ago

^^^ I am a bit wary that BH is going to be great for a few weeks and then be ignored.

If I go SG and F-14, I'd save some $$$ because the High Speed 2 machine that I'm set-on is about $800 or so more than the F-14

#61 11 years ago

SG and High speed 2(Black Hole if trying to save cash) if you are building a colleciton...if just getting some pins for awhile, F-14 and SG,

#62 11 years ago

I wouldn't buy Black Hole. It is a very shallow game and in a small collection will bore you to tears after a month or so. Plus, I hope you're handy with electronics if you have issues as system 80 machines are a bear to work with (still own two of them, sold BH and HH). They can be somewhat reliable if the grounding mods were done properly. But still, you'll be under the hood.

I would pick F14, fast and fun. Stargate is decent, yet clunky and has way too many multiballs for my taste.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Spent some time at an arcade today and they had about 15 pins.

In the DC area? Where was this???

#64 11 years ago

F-14 is my first pin and it is amazing. don't be fooled by the simple rule set. this is a Steve Ritchie pin and he knows what he is doing. HS2 is as well and it is great. I like f-14 better for the insane multiball mode. The beacons on top of the cabinet are awesome as well.

If you can get 2. I would say f-14 and SG. they would compliment each other well. Plus, you would have a great system 11 in better than average shape. and one of the gottleib machines available

#65 11 years ago

Crab Town USA. I have to say, tho, quite a few of the machines have seen better days. They do have a lot of classics: Black Knight, Pinbot, Adams, Twilight Zone, Fish... Cyclone. And all of the games are priced to match the time they were released. So Cyclone is 25 cents. They also have a boat load of old video games. I played Phoenix and Dig Dug... Pole Position. Worth a trip if you like that stuff. It's in Glenn Burnie.

#66 11 years ago

Well... if I pull the trigger on the F-14 and not the HS2, I'm going to save about $800. I've played F-14 and HS2, but never for extended periods. But I've noticed in the ratings/ranks and user comments that HS2 is a game that seems to get more cred and implications that it will stand the test of time... I've read a lot of comments that F-14 gets repetitive.

Hmm...

#67 11 years ago

Found this video. The place looks awesome!

#68 11 years ago

Yes... great place but showing its age. I was a little disappointed in how many machines needed work.

#69 11 years ago

I would say:
F-14 = Good first pin(s) choice.
Stargate = More expensive good first pin(s) choice.
Black Hole = NOT SO GOOD a first pin(s) choice.

Most posters have pointed out the pros and cons of each title. For me, I would pick Black Hole only because it's the only one of the 3 I have never owned and do not think I would keep it for longer than a year.

#70 11 years ago

snyper... you'd buy the F-14 over the High Speed 2?

#71 11 years ago

High Speed 2 is a keeper...and Stargate...stop fighting common sense . make the call get it done..seriously

#72 11 years ago

I'm not delaying for some calculated reason... my appt is tomorrow (earliest day available for both of us since I posted this thread)... those two (HS2 and SG) are tops of my list, assuming they look in the condition as advertised. I enjoy this thread continuing because it's fun to read the opinions of people that have spent more time around these machines than I have.

My third is between f-14 and big hurt. I think I'm going to take a pass on black hole. I'm afraid black hole would turn into owning Q-bert. Awesome for the first week... then not so awesome after. I don't have enough space, right now, to grow beyond 3 games. We are squeezing a lot... including ice chexx, a skittles, and a flat panel for console based games, into our room. Maybe some day.

As for now, the beginnings of the game room will have 3 pins.

I really enjoy playing Big H. Just hard to find one locally... I've sent a pinside member a PM about his, but he doesn't really appear that interested in moving his. The f-14 is available locally. I could, tomorrow, walk away with an F-14, HS2 and a SG. But I have to say, I love baseball and I've enjoyed the time that I've played Big Hurt. I think, ideally, it would be my third machine.

Price-wise, the f-14 is a lot cheaper than the HS2. Only reason why I was asking if I should let it trump HS2.

#73 11 years ago

Here's the decks of HS2 and F-14

Screen_shot_2013-01-31_at_8.28.00_PM.pngScreen_shot_2013-01-31_at_8.28.00_PM.png Screen_shot_2013-01-31_at_8.27.15_PM.pngScreen_shot_2013-01-31_at_8.27.15_PM.png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-three-pins-im-choosing-between-would-love-some-input/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.