(Topic ID: 90287)

Have they ever given away a pin on The Price Is Right?

By cheesewhisperer

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ronlisa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I never imagined I'd own a pinball machine----and if I hadn't seen a TSPP while flipping through a pricey catalog one day I never would have known of its existence. (I did NOT, however, pay catalog prices.)
    The point is---I would not own a pin if I hadn't seen that ad.

If they gave away a WOZ on The Price Is Right I'll bet JJP would see a spike in orders immediately after.
    Yes/No Opinions?

#2 5 years ago

JJP is already busy enough trying to fill orders from three years ago.

#3 5 years ago

About 2/3 down the page. http://www.pingeek.com/tv/tv.htm

#4 5 years ago

Many years ago, TPIR had a Gottlieb High Hand and later Sky Jump. Also, a Bally Champ. All donated by C. A. Robinson. IIRC, C. A. Robinson's name was listed in the credits as well.

I recall a Stern pin within the last eight years as well.

#5 5 years ago

Yes. In the 70's and again in the 80's. The pins usually appeared in a Showcase Showdown. As a part of a game room.

#6 5 years ago

Im pretty sure I saw them give an Xmen away on one show. They had a bunch of game room stuff and one of the things was a Magneto edition. Im going to go out on a limb and guess sales didn't immediately spike afterward.

#7 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure The Pinball Company out of Columbia MO supplies games to TPiR.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#8 5 years ago

I had a game purchased by a game show a couple years ago.

#9 5 years ago

There was a TSPP on the Price is Right for the initial betting portion a decade ago.

#10 5 years ago

Post edited by MrBally: cannot disclose at this time.

#11 5 years ago

X-men and ST have been on.

#12 5 years ago

We bought our Klondike and Travel Time from a woman who won them on the Showcase Showdown back in the early 70s. She said she remembers being upset when she received them because one was clearly used-not brand new. I figure the Klondike, being from 1971, was the used one and Travel Time (1973) was new at the time.

They couldn't have gone to a better home. The couple ran a summer camp in Southern California so the games got a lot of love and were still *mostly* working when we bought them 3 or 4 years ago.

#13 5 years ago

I have only seen it twice since Drew took over.
    I imagine it has been done since it is a luxury item and all of TPIR is about giving away luxury items. Taxman is running.

#14 5 years ago

I remember watching as a kid and they gave away a Fire! machine. Pretty big moment for me because it was the exact moment I realized you could own one outside of an arcade, even though that wouldn't happen for me for another 25 years.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

She said she remembers being upset when she received them because one was clearly used-not brand new.

Ugh, don't remind me. I believe that, since a few years ago I thought I had a CL deal coming on a NIB Whirlwind which the guy's father had won on TPIR years before and never unboxed. At least that's what he was told he had won, and it was a WW box, but when I noticed it was open and asked for a pic of the front of the game, it turned out to be a used Gottlieb Rock! in the box.

#16 5 years ago

I saw TSPP on it when it was new.

#18 5 years ago

Here's a great story I remember from RGP

An RGP member was recounting his "Price Is Right" story back in 2006 or 2007.

Basically, the story is that he responded to an ad in the newspaper for a pinball machine. There was no name on the ad, just "Pinball Machine". So he calls up the guy and the guy tells him it is a machine he won on the Price is Right. The guy did not know the name of the machine as it was buried deep in his garage. But the game was still in a cardboard box and it remembered that it was stamped "Williams".

Quickly realizing that he had a good chance at picking up a NIB Williams game, he asked the guy for a price over the phone, and the guy said he wanted the price value listed on his PIR document, which was $3,500 I believe.

So our RGP member speeds over and helps the guy dig out the pinball machine. When they pull it out, he sees that the game is a Cactus Canyon. He hands over $3,500 cash and loads it up and drives it home.

So he bought a NIB Cactus Canyon for $3,500 that was won by the seller on the Price Is Right.

I love stories like this!

Marcus

#19 5 years ago

There's another one on YouTube that I'm trying to find....

#20 5 years ago

there was a lady with a ad on CL or Mr. Pinball around 10 years ago that had an Elvis for sale that she got from the show

#21 5 years ago

Oops wrong thread.

#22 5 years ago

so funny with that Simpsons. the model drains right down the middle...then is like oops, what happened? i'm a done? oh well.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

» YouTube video

I'm surprised they didn't guess prices over the amount it's worth like they do in their craigslist ads...

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

» YouTube video

Love how that chick bids $1 and the audience goes wild like she has it in the bag. Should have bid $2,701...

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Post edited by MrBally: cannot disclose at this time.

Now that's a freakin' tease...

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Love how that chick bids $1 and the audience goes wild like she has it in the bag. Should have bid $2,701...

I've seen this video numerous times and yell at the contestants every time I watch.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

Im pretty sure I saw them give an Xmen away on one show. They had a bunch of game room stuff and one of the things was a Magneto edition.

Same here. I think it was Let's Make a Deal.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 7,500.00
    $ 89.99
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 16.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 22.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside