Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-628.jpg
image.jpg

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I've always thought it would be cool to have a pin and a sequel.

We have Whirlwind, got Earthshaker, but my wife didn't like it, so I sold it.
Had Elvira, sold it/regret it/thought my wife missed it. Got Scared Stiff and found out my wife doesn't like either one and she nixed the idea of buying Elvira back.

We have (and both enjoy) RFM. I think having AFM would be cool - my wife is not opposed.

For those of you that have or enjoy RFM, would you add AFM if you could?
Is it different or complementary enough to RFM in a large collection?
Do you think having both would cause you to get tired if either more quickly?

Thanks for any thoughts.

#2 6 years ago

Quick and simple: No.

Long and windy: Overpriced and overhyped. It was a great game when it was $3000 (2009). Yes, it is an outstanding example of a B/W game with an open layout, great callouts, fun humor, and a spectacular lightshow.

RFM has all of that too - for at a minimum, half the cost.

In a massive collection like pmWolf's: yes, having both would be cool - there's SO MUCH diversity in his collection that even if they were side by side, there's enough flavors to keep you satisfied without one dulling the other out. In a collection of x < 10, it probably would be a bad idea, but then again, that's just my opinion.

You have a large enough collection; I think you'd be good with having both and them not canceling each other out.

To me (and my opinion is worth 2 wooden nickels), AFM is a measuring tool for pinhood. RFM is realizing that sometimes - less is more.

#3 6 years ago

No RFM does everything AFM does...only better and with cooler technology.

They are way too much alike to own both. Get something else.

#4 6 years ago

Sorry, but RFM is not in the same league as AFM. I would ditch RFM and get AFM along with another pin.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Sorry, but RFM is not in the same league as AFM. I would ditch RFM and get AFM along with another pin.

Exactly.

I've owned both, RFM isn't nearly as good. And while the humor on RFM is pretty good, it is also dated with stuff like the Bill Clinton humor. AFM's humor is timeless.

RFM isn't a bad pin, but I sure wouldn't own it at the same time as AFM.

#6 6 years ago

AFM is probably my favorite 90s B/W game that I've played so far, however at the price the price they sell for I imagine it'd be a hard purchase for someone who already has RFM.

I'd say it really depends how much you'd like AFM, however It might just be better to buy a few lower priced games instead (or another game of similar value which would play very different than RFM).

#7 6 years ago

Had both for the best part of a year. RFM hardly ever got switched on as a result. AFM is the better game for me so was the one I kept.

#8 6 years ago

I would if you could find the right deal. Then shortly after sell RFM as it is inferior. IMO

#10 6 years ago

I own both. Love them both for much different reasons. AFM is more difficult and more of a "players" game. It's also extremely well rounded...great theme, artwork, rules, dots, callouts. My only criticism is if you don't add the popular mods, it can look stark (especially for the money).

RFM is pure fun. It one of the easier pins in my collection, but the history/technology/humor/audio are first rate. I've come close to selling mine, but after adding a 21" LED and supercharging the processor/audio, it's a keeper.

#11 6 years ago

I have Afm and played rfm for the first time the other day and was curious about the same thing I would like to add a rfm

#12 6 years ago

AFM obliterates RFM. They play nothing alike. The price difference honestly equals the difference in fun. I'm all about championing the obscure/affordable titles, but sometimes you've just gotta give it up for the games that are crazy expensive for a good reason, and AFM is one of them.

#13 6 years ago

Rfm is the better game in all areas. People that say it is too easy have apparently forgotten how to move an outlane post or change some software settings. You already have MM so that is a bigger factor as MM and AFM are even more similar. MM is the better bash the middle game so no need to get AFM.

#14 6 years ago

Have 79 mustang, should I add 67 Shelby mustang?

image.jpg
image-628.jpg

#15 6 years ago

Quoted from John_I:Sorry, but RFM is not in the same league as AFM. I would ditch RFM and get AFM along with another pin.

Did you get this one right? Sell RFM and use the money to buy AFM AND another pin?

#16 6 years ago

I would say on a 36 pin collection, like you have, yes get one, especially if your wife may like it.

#17 6 years ago

I have and love AFM. I had a chance to pick up RFM at a really good price and I passed. RFM (I have put some time on) honestly seems like a perfect route game- cool effects and humor- but it seems so easy and repetetive for a home collection. Just my humble opinion. Opposite of the question asked

#18 6 years ago

I have both and love both of them! no plans on getting rid of either one! I will say that you will want to add lots of mods to the AFM to get it looking real nice.

#19 6 years ago

It's unlikely I would get rid of RFM (possibility of a Haunted Cruise kit), so I'm not going swap it out for AFM. Though I must admit if there's a way to sell my RFM for an AFM and two other pins, I'm very interested!

I remember AFM as being a significantly faster game than RFM, but haven't played AFM in quite a while - true?

#20 6 years ago

I have RFM...........HUO and its a keeper, Thought about getting AFM, but they are pricy!!! And now that the New Star trek is out????? hem??? And I'm not big on Stern games!

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I remember AFM as being a significantly faster game than RFM, but haven't played AFM in quite a while - true?

Yes, no doubt about that. RFM has the safety factor of always looping around from the back left. AFM can come from the back right or through the SOL, and if you have it set up right, holy crap, AFM can be a blistering bullet.

RFM can get pretty fast too. I think there's something psychological about the video feed taking up a solid chunk of the background area. You take that out, and the ball had nearly the same amount of area to move around in RFM as it does in AFM. My RFM can get smoking fast due to dang responsive slingshots.

Do not get me wrong - AFM is definitely a better players pin - no doubt about it. I just cannot justify the price difference to purchasing one - yet.

Now if PPS remakes it and it sells for a healthy chunk less than it does now, that may change. Then again, I only have room for 4, and I don't see RFM leaving anytime soon.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I have and love AFM. I had a chance to pick up RFM at a really good price and I passed. RFM (I have put some time on) honestly seems like a perfect route game- cool effects and humor- but it seems so easy and repetetive for a home collection. Just my humble opinion. Opposite of the question asked

Don't agree. I think it's an awful route game because the feedback is so dependent on the audio.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Don't agree. I think it's an awful route game because the feedback is so dependent on the audio.

I would agree. To enjoy RFM, you have to hear and understand the audio.

#24 6 years ago

I can't believe RFM is holding up so well in this thread. Besides theme, there is absolutely no comparison between the two IMO. AFM is an absolute classic and my all time favorite game. Only the high price stops me from owning it.

#25 6 years ago

I have both and enjoy them equally. If you want to do back to back modes that are fun then it's a rfm day if you want speed and stacking of multiple things going on while trying to set up the ship to be destroyed then it's a AFM day.

#26 6 years ago

Is the price diffrence worth it the answer is yes. I bought attack from Mars first and loved it so much that I bought it's little brother and yes it is it's little brother.

#28 6 years ago

Buy a SM it's AFM on crack...

#29 6 years ago

In regards to route earning, i am pretty sure AFM is much better than RFM?

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Rfm is the better game in all areas. People that say it is too easy have apparently forgotten how to move an outlane post or change some software settings. You already have MM so that is a bigger factor as MM and AFM are even more similar. MM is the better bash the middle game so no need to get AFM.

There is your problem.....AFM is far from a just "bash the middle game" If thats how you play it then I can see why you like RFM better. You can bash the middle on RFM to get through the (mostly boring) modes. AFM makes you shoot all shots if you really wanna blow the game up.

AFM destroys RFM....to the OP, Sell RFM & pick up a decent AFM. You wont regret it.

#31 6 years ago

Well MM is not really a bash the middle either, but that is the default thing to do in each game and the quickest way to big points is to kill the middle over and over again. Consistently biggest scores are achieved this way.

It is all just opinion and mine is that RFM is far superior to AFM in every way possible. It honestly amazes me that this is not the majority opinion.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Well MM is not really a bash the middle either, but that is the default thing to do in each game and the quickest way to big points is to kill the middle over and over again. Consistently biggest scores are achieved this way.

Far from the truth...I know of a well known tourney player who put up 96 billion in tourney settings with the outlanes all the way up & guess how many Saucers he destroyed? 1

The big points in AFM are in TA not from killing saucers

Quoted from Whysnow:

It is all just opinion and mine is that RFM is far superior to AFM in every way possible. It honestly amazes me that this is not the majority opinion.

Lol well I wouldnt be too confused by this....there is a reason AFM has been in the top 5 forever & RFM is nowhere close.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

Is the price diffrence worth it the answer is yes. I bought Attack from Mars first and loved it so much that I bought it's little brother and yes it is it's little brother.

Ooo ooo ooo - big question and answer honestly:

When did you buy AFM? If you say anything from 1996 to 2009 - well, duh . If you bought x > 2009, you really wanted that game.

Either way, AFM is a great game.

#34 6 years ago

RFM is a good game. AFM is a great game. I done..

#35 6 years ago

Both good games. I really like RFM because of the back-story of how it got here. It helps that it's also a lot of fun. I had a SWEP1, and it had to go.

#36 6 years ago

I have both games. And they both hold their own place. Sure afm will always get played more but neither are going anywhere. They are just on two totally different levels.

#37 6 years ago

I just turned my RFM on and play two games. The first game, I sucked. The second game, I was on fire. Attacked Mars, and won. 700 million or so.

#38 6 years ago

Had both for years, just sold my HUO RFM. Fun game and by far the best to the two P2K games.

#39 6 years ago

Rfm is fun but its no AFM. I had AFM for years and then added rfm for a while. AFM is a much better game. Rfm while fun gets stale after a while. The gameplay is too linear on rfm.

#40 6 years ago

both are cool and in my collection

#41 6 years ago

RFM is incredible...I also thought it would be cool to have both side by side. Got bored of AFM within a month. For me, to redundant in my collection and I wanted something different in that spot. If space was unlimited - I probably would have kept it cuz - why not.

2 weeks later
#42 6 years ago

Personally, I'd get rid of the RFM and get the AFM. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

#43 6 years ago

I had both at the same time for about 5 years. I think they are very different. It was possibly my two boys favorite game. Also a fav of their friends

#44 6 years ago

Get rid of RFM and get an AFM

#45 6 years ago

Have both, like both, will keep both. If I were forced to keep just one, it would have to be AFM.

#46 6 years ago

After playing AFM a bunch at papa this weekend i have to say it is not a fun game to play for high scores and really best enjoyed for the storyline. I felt like a lumberjack cutting wood on it when playing for points.

I will still take RFM aver it, but in a big collection take em all... Why not if you have the room

#47 6 years ago

I like RFM over AFM. One because of uniqueness and Fun. Second because there is a lot of fan layout choices. I personally don't like too many of the same layout type in a collection. An earlier poster pointed out SM, which very similar to AFM, and a better option in my opinion. Other Fan layouts: MM, MB, LOTR to name a few that I also like better than AFM.

#48 6 years ago

I just looked at your collection and your wanted list. Get WOF way more unique and challanging than AFM. You already have: MM, MB, STLE.

#49 6 years ago

Have had both. Here are my rating comments:

Revenge From Mars (Bally, 1999) - 8.000
“Like the Pin 2000 idea. Nice integration of monitor with lots of animations and humor. By no means as good as Attack from Mars, but a nice pin to have in your collection.”

Attack from Mars (Bally, 1995) - 9.324
“Fast, Fun. Good music and animation. All fits the theme very well. My alltime favorite, for now '-)”

RFM is fun. But ones you have finished the end game a few times it does not want me to come back for more.
AFM I will play anytime, anywhere. What a great game.

#50 6 years ago

AFM. No contest. Sell the RFM.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 47.95
Lighting - Interactive
MicksPinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 89.99
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 37.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 89.99
$ 11.00
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 249.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Machine - For Sale
San Francisco, CA
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Inver Grove Heights, MN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside