Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by superNoid
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

46D64D7D-5106-42D3-B6F8-B86890FD1A45 (resized).jpeg
    C8676E93-8686-413A-AA53-069D4729F5F3 (resized).jpeg
    9DFE87F4-A527-421D-82ED-06370F93F819 (resized).jpeg
    618E372D-B1CB-48BB-B752-E319DFDD2DA2 (resized).jpeg
    2D52CEFF-5004-4246-9819-0D4F462DE23D.gif
    Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 12.15.55 PM (resized).png
    15D9399D-D67A-4568-A1F0-066595A4F75D.gif
    3.gif
    a.gif

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #2 2 years ago

Yes. That sound you hear is value dropping.
    Unfortunately, Pinball machines will never get higher in price, and are actually decreasing.
    It's over Johnny.

#3 2 years ago

Nope. Going to continue to raise. Check prices in 10 years and prove me wrong!

#4 2 years ago

In Ten Years;
    Smarter meters will regulate precious amperage needed for vehicles at the expense of "Non Essential" electric devices like pinball machines.
    Mini-homes will be so common there will be no room for even one machine.
    Digital Finance Companies will not allow you to purchase so expensive of a "Non essential" item.

Good news though, Meta Reality will allow you to visit "Arcade 1976" where the level of detail while playing virtually will be so real you can gag on the smoke.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

In Ten Years;
    Smarter meters will regulate precious amperage needed for vehicles at the expense of "Non Essential" electric devices like pinball machines.
    Mini-homes will be so common there will be no room for even one machine.
    Digital Finance Companies will not allow you to purchase so expensive of a "Non essential" item.
    Good news though, Meta Reality will allow you to visit "Arcade 1976" where the level of detail while playing virtually will be so real you can gag on the smoke.

Ha ha "You will own nothing" Just a 250 square foot pad with a roller bed like that in The 5th Element.

Prices may flatline, but with so many new people being introduced....

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Ha ha "You will own nothing" Just a 250 square foot pad with a roller bed like that in The 5th Element.
    Prices may flatline, but with so many new people being introduced....

Bingo.
    Also, since these machines were primarily produced to create income, home ownership will mean they are "Mothballed" leading to outrageous taxes.
    For those with the Bitcoin payment system removed they will be deemed "Non-essential Luxury items" and taxed to oblivion.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Bingo.
    Also, since these machines were primarily produced to create income, home ownership will mean they are "Mothballed" leading to outrageous taxes.
    For those with the Bitcoin payment system removed they will be deemed "Non-essential Luxury items" and taxed to oblivion.

....and you'll be eating Soylent Green? haha

#8 2 years ago

No

#9 2 years ago

Pinball thought police will not let you discuss increases in NIB pinball

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from JakePG:

Pinball thought police will not let you discuss increases in NIB pinball

But at least the mods will, party on!!!

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Just kidding!!!

window.__mirage2 = {petok:"574dfad5fe7acfa144d346dab3a19893e9b7c967-1636910939-1800"};
    //]]>

You got me. I saw the poster and was shocked!

#12 2 years ago

Machines? Perhaps...
    Toppers? Not even close...

#13 2 years ago

Tables? Nope,,,

#14 2 years ago

Buy the dip?
    HODL?

#15 2 years ago

Meh

#17 2 years ago

Back in about 1995 went computer shopping. Ended up buying a Packard Bell. Had a 20 MB hard drive (MB, not GB), a 5-1/4" floppy drive. I think the processor speed was around 100 Mhz. I remember the salesman telling me computers will NEVER be faster than that.

So like, what if I told you that pinball machines will never be higher priced than they are today?

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Back in about 1995 went computer shopping. Ended up buying a Packard Bell. Had a 20 MB hard drive....

Ha a hand me down Toshiba Satellite laptop in the 90s that had either a 20 or 200 mg hard drive.
    Used to have to delete the cache when browsing because it would fill up

#19 2 years ago

Here is the thing

If pinball is truly growing eventually, in theory, more competition should enter the market

Again, in theory, that should lower prices

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Just kidding!!!

15D9399D-D67A-4568-A1F0-066595A4F75D.gif15D9399D-D67A-4568-A1F0-066595A4F75D.gif

#21 2 years ago

no way theyre done rising

old games will always be rare, and in high demand. look at all bally williams games over ten years. one hundred percent increases and even more for almost every release from 1990 til 1998. I can't believe it, but it's true.

If you were lucky enough to buy some of those titles even five years ago, you are now looking at double value for your game if you decide to sell. nostalgia is valuable, and always will be.

as Stern dilutes the value by releasing vault editions, the prices may recede, but in ten years, when Stern is officially done making certain titles like IMDN, JP2, GODZ, and even less popular titles like TMNT, LZ, and SW, the prices will slowly increase.

I don't think I'm alone in believing that the hobby will expand significanly, as it has done in the past four or five years, for at least ten more years. People are looking for a real, tangible entertainment experience. We have seen gamerooms and arcades explode back into our cities, which is awesome. The reason is obvious; Gen X moms and dads want to take their kids to these amusement spots to see what real gaming and amusement is, instead of letting them tune out into a console, tablet, or phone. Pinball and arcade games offers so much more than those other "App" type games on other platforms. there's no comparison.

also, as boomers retire and have more disposable income, and as GenXers make more money, there will be higher demand for new games and used games alike. Its impossible to believe that this demand will decrease in the next decade or more.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Just kidding!!!

Hey, where's crazylevi?

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Here is the thing
    If pinball is truly growing eventually, in theory, more competition should enter the market
    Again, in theory, that should lower prices

No. That only works for mass produced items on store shelves with “consumer friendly” pricing…not a luxury low-quantity manufactured gaming machine.

Pinball has already gone from 1 company to 5+, and the competition has caused a price race higher than any of us could have imagined.

#24 2 years ago

Does anyone else feel like the whole collectible market has become extremely artificial? What used to be 250-500 for limited now is 1000+ often times? Then you can add all the cash grabs into the mix. Getting tired of the manufacturers duping people into a LE only to slap them in the face with another special edition later. JJP trying to sell Emerald's while introducing Ruby's and now Stern has entered the cash grab with the 40th edition Elvira slap in the face to Elvira LE owners.

I seriously scratch my head at people willing to fork over that much cash for some purple lipstick powder-coating and a little numbered plaque. I keep telling myself it is good for the hobby because it takes money out of pockets that would have bought reasonably priced games on secondary market but that does not seem to be the case?

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Does anyone else feel like the whole collectible market has become extremely artificial? What used to be 250-500 for limited now is 1000+ often times? Then you can add all the cash grabs into the mix. Getting tired of the manufacturers duping people into a LE only to slap them in the face with another special edition later. JJP trying to sell Emerald's while introducing Ruby's and now Stern has entered the cash grab with the 40th edition Elvira slap in the face to Elvira LE owners.
    I seriously scratch my head at people willing to fork over that much cash for some purple lipstick powder-coating and a little numbered plaque. I keep telling myself it is good for the hobby because it takes money out of pockets that would have bought reasonably priced games on secondary market but that does not seem to be the case?

Meh. Let em spend. The 8k EHOH plays just as well as the 25k version.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Back in about 1995 went computer shopping. Ended up buying a Packard Bell. Had a 20 MB hard drive (MB, not GB), a 5-1/4" floppy drive. I think the processor speed was around 100 Mhz. I remember the salesman telling me computers will NEVER be faster than that.
    So like, what if I told you that pinball machines will never be higher priced than they are today?

I remember something similar. Nice computer with a 14 or 15 inch tube monitor. Cost on this was about 4K and was buying for college. Guy told me that graphics, speed and processing would never be better and cost never cheaper. He was wrong all the way around.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Does anyone else feel like the whole collectible market has become extremely artificial?

It always has been. New things aren’t collectible. Only marketing tries to convince you that they are. True collectibles become collectibles due to time, context, and true rarity based on circumstance & demand.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from JT-Pinball:

I remember something similar. Nice computer with a 14 or 15 inch tube monitor. Cost on this was about 4K and was buying for college. Guy told me that graphics, speed and processing would never be better and cost never cheaper. He was wrong all the way around.

I also remember my first handheld electronic calculator, a Craig 4501. It added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided. Cost $120. That was cutting edge technology in 1971.

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 12.15.55 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-15 at 12.15.55 PM (resized).png
    #29 2 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I also remember my first handheld electronic calculator, a Craig 4501. It added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided. Cost $120. That was cutting edge technology in 1971.
    [quoted image]

That sure is a fancy calculating machine right there....

#30 2 years ago

I offered 13K for a Godzilla LE and really can't even get a response, so I would say no.

#31 2 years ago

For me yes but for many, no. Imagine in the States right now it was 10K for a delivered Stern Pro, would you buy it? The last one I purchased was a JP Pro and that was 8500, that was already 2 high but I wanted one and now at 10K almost I'm out. However Canada and Europe aren't keeping these companies alive its the US market and when that reaches a point where people start passing on NIB the prices will either drop or it dies all together. This whole hobby is running on borrowed time anyway with regards to NIB in my opinion.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

[quoted image]

You could probably sell it for that 120 now!

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

I offered 13K for a Godzilla LE and really can't even get a response, so I would say no.

Sorry, that was last week's price. This week, it is double that.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

[quoted image]

Hey what’s the “D” button for? Also the smaller “k” button?

#35 2 years ago

Just wait for JJP to release the WOZ Tin Man "LE" and Stern the Back to the Future Signature Edition with a piece of seat foam from the destroyed BTTF3 Delorean.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from HarryReimer:

That sure is a fancy calculating machine right there....

It was at the time!

Quoted from JT-Pinball:

You could probably sell it for that 120 now!

Last one I saw sold on ebay for more than $300.

Quoted from Pintopia:

Hey what’s the “D” button for? Also the smaller “k” button?

Fancy technology at the time. The display turned off after 15 seconds. Press the "D" and the display came back on. The "k" was for entering a constant....like putting a number in memory for repeated operations.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just wait for JJP to release the WOZ Tin Man "LE" and Stern the Back to the Future Signature Edition with a piece of seat foam from the destroyed BTTF3 Delorean.

OH BOY! Where can I watch others buy this? I mean, whatever you’re asking, it’s not enough!

Btw, where are all the EHOH 40th braggers?
    2D52CEFF-5004-4246-9819-0D4F462DE23D.gif2D52CEFF-5004-4246-9819-0D4F462DE23D.gif

#38 2 years ago

Warning Hot take ahead:

If companies wanted to bring in more cash, then what they would do is offer a separate line of affordable machines (NOT LE).

Basic, no toys, one level games throw in a nice feature here and their, no LCD screens, Four player games with the 12 digit 9 segment displays.

What would take the price down a bit is to STOP ISSUING LISCENED IP GAMES or at least offer an inhouse non license game, easy thrills for a budget, on the other line offer your big bucks License games.

On the other hand you could offer some a basic pinball machine and for a yearly upgrade payment plan allow someone to add to the machine until they reach full gig.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Warning Hot take ahead:
    If companies wanted to bring in more cash, then what they would do is offer a separate line of affordable machines (NOT LE).
    Basic, no toys, one level games throw in a nice feature here and their, no LCD screens, Four player games with the 12 digit 9 segment displays.
    What would take the price down a bit is to STOP ISSUING LISCENED IP GAMES or at least offer an inhouse non license game, easy thrills for a budget, on the other line offer your big bucks License games.
    On the other hand you could offer some a basic pinball machine and for a yearly upgrade payment plan allow someone to add to the machine until they reach full gig.

I'd love to let this stuff slide cause you are a noob, but suffice to say, your ideas are pretty terrible. Pinball machines are selling for more money than ever, and you think they should completely shift course and put their efforts into producing low-profit, no frills games that nobody is asking for, nobody will buy, and and are the exact opposite of what are selling these days? Who looks at a successful product, with selling prices that are higher than ever, with backlogs bigger than ever, and says: "you know what? This isn't working. Blow it up and give these guys the cheap crap they don't want! That will save us from the huge profits and unprecedented demand we've been enjoying over the past few years!!"

And it's been proven time and again that people do not WANT unlicensed games today and will never buy them in high numbers, so why should anybody waste their time making them? Licensed themes are pinballs' bread and butter.

#40 2 years ago

IDK, Dialed In did well. If you look at just pinside owners and wish list it ranks up there with most of the pinside top 10. I think people want unlicensed, but are very picky about how it is done and you just can't please everyone.

#41 2 years ago
    618E372D-B1CB-48BB-B752-E319DFDD2DA2 (resized).jpeg618E372D-B1CB-48BB-B752-E319DFDD2DA2 (resized).jpeg
    #42 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

IDK, Dialed In did well. If you look at just pinside owners and wish list it ranks up there with most of the pinside top 10. I think people want unlicensed, but are very picky about how it is done and you just can't please everyone.

Dialed in was JJP's worst-selling game and the last time you'll see them try an unlicensed theme.

Unlicensed is a huge, unnecessary risk in pinball. Look at the day 1 LE sellouts...not gonna do that with some goofy 90s knock off "original" theme.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd love to let this stuff slide cause you are a noob, but suffice to say, your ideas are pretty terrible. Pinball machines are selling for more money than ever, and you think they should completely shift course and put their efforts into producing low-profit, no frills games that nobody is asking for, nobody will buy, and and are the exact opposite of what are selling these days? Who looks at a successful product, with selling prices that are higher than ever, with backlogs bigger than ever, and says: "you know what? This isn't working. Blow it up and give these guys the cheap crap they don't want! That will save us from the huge profits we've been enjoying over the past few years!!"
    And it's been proven time and again that people do not WANT unlicensed games today and will never buy them in high numbers, so why should anybody waste their time making them? Licensed themes are pinballs' bread and butter.

apparently you did not read my entire post, you just spouted off at me.

It is in the best interest in a company to expand their portfolio as wide as they can, you know why, because if they put their entire nest egg in one basket, the whole ship sinks, when that one thing goes down the toilet.

Same things with IP License, if one company puts their entire faith into one IP license and that fails, what going to happen, someone is not taking a paycheck home.

You are all here BEEPING about price hikes while scores of youtubers and podcasters are talking Price hikes it should be concerning, nah, Id rather be paying off my new "Few Good Men" Pinball meanwhile you have a mortgage to pay off, car payments and food to put on the table for your kids and family and when I go I will just dump the rest of the payments on my offspring.

Meanwhile we have a growing list of new pinball companies, STERN is not the only one anymore, I think its good that we should ask for original titles.

Gottlieb had the right idea with the street level games is just the execution was horrid.

Now, you did not read my entire post LEVI, go back and line by line tell me where I went wrong.
    At what price tag to we look at ourselves and say enough, 1mil 2mill 3mill.

#44 2 years ago

Dialed in is JJPs worst selling game. bKSor is stern’s worst selling game. People LOVE suggesting that the solution to a problem that doesnt exist is “original themes.” It’s not exactly a “hot take,” people clamor for “original themes” all the time and then refuse to buy them. Meanwhile a terrible game like ghostbusters sells like hot cakes. Hot cakes > hot takes.

It’s proven time and time again:

If pinside Ran stern they’d be tits up in a month.

#45 2 years ago

I'm here for the 10 year reminder.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dialed in was JJP's worst-selling game...

Sadly this is true and maybe the only JJP (or any machine at all ) whoms values is far under what it originally sold for.
    Right under thst I would be guessing is BKSOR

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dialed in is JJPs worst selling game. bKSor is stern’s worst selling game. People LOVE suggesting that the solution to a problem that doesnt exist is “original themes.” It’s not exactly a “hot take,” people clamor for “original themes” all the time and then refuse to buy them. Meanwhile a terrible game like ghostbusters sells like hot cakes. Hot cakes > hot takes.
    It’s proven time and time again:
    If pinside Ran stern they’d be tits up in a month.

all that is proven is idiots will buy crap based on theme, rather than quality of play.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

apparently you did not read my entire post, you just spouted off at me.
    It is in the best interest in a company to expand their portfolio as wide as they can, you know why, because if they put their entire nest egg in one basket, the whole ship sinks, when that one thing goes down the toilet.
    Same things with IP License, if one company puts their

In some way you are correct and I understand your logic.
    But at this time with so much demand that production can't follow and there are 6 month delays, the optimal thing to do is produce what's most profitable. And that is probably not The Pin.
    Right now the home owners with too much disposable cash are what Stern targets.

Stern has tried already experimented with cheap home models.
    You can be sure that if a crisis happens like in 2008 and suddenly everyone stops buying 28k SLE games (and LE games also), Stern will quickly adapt and start producing more pro and home versions to keep the line going.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballizfun:

all that is proven is idiots will buy crap based on theme, rather than quality of play.

Correct. Dialed in is JJP’s best game by a pretty good margin. Oughta tell you something.

#50 2 years ago

The thing that I keep hearing for years from Gary and others is : are you supporting your local arcades and operators? By jacking up prices and focussing on high level expensive pins they are the ones who make it harder for operators to keep the hobby alive with new pins. Like they turn their back on locations to focus on milking the rich homeowners. Just the way I see it.

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-pinball-prices-reached-their-peak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.