(Topic ID: 160650)

Have LCD displays killed red DMDs for you?

By Aurich

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 226 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Max_Badazz
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download_(resized).jpg
Capture_(resized).JPG
20160531_223906_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
640x960_(resized).jpg
prince_(resized).jpg
Ken-shoryu-ts.gif
2a4e7884f9b513cd90a3e5dd35cc384c9ecc901c4e3f4355efc64e9adb1ca89b_(resized).jpg
PastedGraphic-B_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
Capture_(resized).JPG
There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Stern probably thinks "hey, we are selling more Ghostbusters than anything we've ever sold before, so why change anything?"
rd

I think Ben had it right earlier in the thread. If you're a small manufacturer, securing a supply chain for LCD is pretty difficult.

There are only a few companies in the world that manufacture LCD screens and I was quoted minimum order for a production run starts at 50K units. Short of that and you tend to be buying excess production or overstock in secondary markets.

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

I have so far not put color DMD in my games as I really never look at the DMD. It does not seem to add a lot of value to your game and so I think it is really for those watching you play. I am really fine with the dots; but with that now said, I will probably go with color DMD when ALL of my games have that option available to them... (it would drive me nuts to have all of the games in color except for 2)

Really? I don't know of anyone that bought 9 at one time.
Might as well buy 2 or 3 at a time because ColorDMD's are just as addictive as owning pinball machines.

#204 7 years ago

Randy is dead to me... He dangled that damn Star Trek color dots thing in front of me... like 2 years ago... and I'm still waiting.
First world problems.

He keeps quoting some lame excuse like Stern created some abusive algorithms to display art on the crappy red display. I'm not longer sure his heart is in it for that game.

Am I bitter... yeah. but I'm also ribbing him a little to maybe light a damn fire under his arse.

#205 7 years ago

Buying color dmd,s are addicting! Waiting for CC & CV ! I'm tired of dots in orange /red there dated.

20160531_223906_(resized).jpg20160531_223906_(resized).jpg

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Randy is dead to me... He dangled that damn Star Trek color dots thing in front of me... like 2 years ago... and I'm still waiting.
First world problems.
He keeps quoting some lame excuse like Stern created some abusive algorithms to display art on the crappy red display. I'm not longer sure his heart is in it for that game.
Am I bitter... yeah. but I'm also ribbing him a little to maybe light a damn fire under his arse.

Patience...young one. I'm sure no one is jumping at the chance to color it for fear of Stern releasing new game code for ST. I guess you may have to wait a bit longer after ST production ends, which seems to be late this year.

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Patience...young one. I'm sure no one is jumping at the chance to color it for fear of Stern releasing new game code for ST. I guess you may have to wait a bit longer after ST production ends, which seems to be late this year.

New code for Starship Troopers? Sweet!

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

New code for Starship Troopers? Sweet!

That would be SST.

#209 7 years ago

Oh, I guess the lookup is incorrect as shown below:

Capture_(resized).JPGCapture_(resized).JPG

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#210 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I've had one on one chat with the guy that shall not be named (IE dead to me).
I got the distinct impression the "issues" were not FUD related... but were technical because of the unique way the art is sent to the display. I seem to be recalling the "random" word coming up during the brief conversation.

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

They did put out PR saying it was coming on the next game, and then Jody walked that back and said this year instead.

For the record and in case anyone isn't aware of the timeline, at the time they said that color was happening on the next game, the next game was Ghostbusters. In other words, it's very possible that the next game from right now will be color.

#212 7 years ago

...until they find an excuse to not release it...
"we" as in Pinside... have been "expecting" LCD technology from these clowns for several years... we are still saying "next game - for sure".

I'll believe it when I actually see them post a picture of a real machine on their website with it... or people say they got their NIB unpacked with it.

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Buying color dmd,s are addicting! Waiting for CC & CV ! I'm tired of dots in orange /red there dated.

download_(resized).jpgdownload_(resized).jpg

#214 7 years ago

If you're not following the TBL thread here's a video of the latest code that shows off the LCD pretty great:

It's not the most action packed movie, so the movie clips are a little on the talking head side, but to me this looks 100x better than a red DMD would have. Entire vibe of the game is different with a screen like this.

#215 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you're not following the TBL thread here's a video of the latest code that shows off the LCD pretty great:
» YouTube video
It's not the most action packed movie, so the movie clips are a little on the talking head side, but to me this looks 100x better than a red DMD would have. Entire vibe of the game is different with a screen like this.

Is he just a bad player, or is the pin really that boring to play?

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

It might pick up a bit if you hit more than 2 ramps in 8 minutes

#217 7 years ago

Just played the Lebowski pin, and watched it for about fifteen minutes while waiting in line. The LCD looks great but it doesn't really add much to the game like my favorite DMDs do. You're basically just unlocking movie clips, which isn't something I'm a fan of. I really like classic DMD animations, they're funny and creative - think the additive balls during the whirlpool challenge in WH2O, or the extra ball growing legs and walking away in TZ, or everything with Striker in WCS94. I do like the color DMDs in dot mode, though.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#218 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Awesome video clips, music and callouts. But they won't save what looks to be a boring/bad layout. IMHO.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

He's brand new to the game, and said he was playing worse with the camera on, I'm inclined to cut him slack, was nice of him to share. (I'm hardly the player to cast stones anyways!)

I haven't played the game since the original prototype reveal myself. I would call it a pretty straightforward layout. As always rules will bring it to life or not.

#220 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Just played the Lebowski pin, and watched it for about fifteen minutes while waiting in line. The LCD looks great but it doesn't really add much to the game like my favorite DMDs do. You're basically just unlocking movie clips, which isn't something I'm a fan of. I really like classic DMD animations, they're funny and creative - think the additive balls during the whirlpool challenge in WH2O, or the extra ball growing legs and walking away in TZ, or everything with Striker in WCS94. I do like the color DMDs in dot mode, though.

I was trying to be polite about it, but yeah the movie clips aren't exactly exciting. But that's really the nature of the film. It's a talking movie, it's about the dialogue. If you're a TBL fan you want the movie to be there, and I'm not sure how you edit it to be more dynamic. It would look worse in red dots!

For Alien we're not playing back straight clips like that. Lot more creative editing. But we have footage with action and sci fi settings and just a lot more to work with from a visually interesting perspective. If all we could use were the scenes where the crew was sitting around the table on the Nostromo it would be a lot trickier.

I love that TBL is a pin. It's not a project I would have picked to do personally, because of the above challenges, but IMHO Dutch Pinball rose to the occasion.

#221 7 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

A good player can't make a "shitty pin" exciting. TBL looks boring and clunky. Thankful I bailed.

The "instrumentals" are awful. The video is very cool though.

#222 7 years ago

I like the instrumentals! Prefer them over songs with lyrics honestly. But I don't have any strong feelings about the originals or anything. The quality sounds good though, not cheezy covers.

I'll admit I'm glad I didn't stay in on it myself, but I still think it looks really cool. And, on topic, the LCD size looks great.

I'd prefer HD over the faux dots, I assume that's about graphics horsepower, but it seems like you can hardly tell from playing distance since they're smaller dots.

The playfield art is really solid, and compliments the color screen. The whole thing feels right for the movie. Too early to say if it's a good game, but I think it's a good package. And it just wouldn't work for me at least with smeary red dots making the already pretty "quiet" movie clips a lifeless mess.

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

A good player can't make a "shitty pin" exciting. TBL looks boring and clunky. Thankful I bailed.

Damn Ice, that's pretty brutal.

Having said that....I agree!

#224 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Considering how much Street Fighter I'm playing these days DP is obviously a dragon punch!

I think you meant donkey punch.

#225 7 years ago

That video was putting me to sleep even faster than watching a Hobbit gameplay video, Aliens can't get here soon enough.

#226 7 years ago

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to find that game to be boring .... however I won't officially judge until I play it. Music/sound was awful though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-lcd-displays-killed-red-dmds-for-you/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.